Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 8:15:06 AM EDT
Okay....
I know I want a bushy XM15 E2S 20"
I think I'd like to put the "mini-y comp"
muzzle break on the rifle when I order it.

A couple of questions:
1.)  This break will increase the length of the barrel; correct?  How much?
2.)  Does anyone have a picture they can show me of their A2 with ANY type of muzzle break?

Please respond

tim
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it will increase the length of the barrel an inch or two.

But I [b]HIGHLY[/b] recommend against it.  The Mini-Y comp is an ear blaster - very nasty.  If you MUST have a muzzle device there are 2 I'll recommend (and you can't get them from Bushmaster - you'll have to send your upper out).

Both are from Kurt's Kustom (he's in the Industry section)

1) the KKF A2 type flash supressor - it looks like the A2 flash hider but it's a muzzle brake (you notice the difference if you look at the end).  It adds an inch to the length of the barrel
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwCvBP8ZfGEd2to3EJTKY7AYOxbMC9oG5r8Gdgpl*aWb0bl6W*T2LZv3iBSyffN8qtbCEnOtSUTsjycJsp8n!i50ZqKOFd*wpLdGbrwWGYhWVibVDsr97rNNf*65LR!d/DCP01187.JPG?dc=4675361293442575681[/img]

2) The KKF faux flash hider.  Its pressed on over the barrel and adds only a small fraction of an inch to the barrel length.  It entirely cosmetic only.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Shoot Straight,
got an estimated price on Kurts f.flash hider.(parts and labor).
thanks
BASE RIGGER
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
muzzle brakes suck! go with the fake FH. It's all about "the look" anyways. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
BASE-RIGGER,

Go to the Industry section.  Go to KKF and ask Kurt for a quote.  He will reply in less than 24 hours.  Turn around is 2-3 weeks.  Shipping is $10.  He has VERY reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The brake in the photo shown above is the only way to go other than the RemVan which I've not seen in a couple of years.

While your 20" bbl is at Kurts have it converted to M16 profile, or buy a new "government profile" barrel and have Kurt lop off the bayonet lug -- this is the better solution -- when he puts the brake on.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, the daily muzzle brake thread.[;D]

Muzzle brakes, in direct proportion to their efficiency, are loud.  They are designed to moderate muzzle rise, and to a lesser extent recoil.  The Mini-Y comp, IMHO, is the most effective brake on the market.  The Mini-Y is capable of providing the shooter with an almost undisturbed sight picture.  This doesn't mean much to the person plinking at the range, but in actual competitive shooting, it makes the difference between winning and losing.

If your looking for something aesthetically pleasing or something that "looks like" a standard flash hider, then by all means look elsewhere.  The Mini-Y is designed with a purpose, and it does it's job without apology.

Edited: Thanks Vinnie - for giving me a BRAKE. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll ditto Chuck's recommendation about the barrel profiling to A2 (I had that done by Kurt - two thumbs up for the work!).

The barrel shown above was a Bushmaster Govt Profile barrel that was 'neutered' to post ban.  It resides on a buddies rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]
B-R A-K-E, not break.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
VA COMP ALL THE WAY (Hi-speed lo drag and way cool) 100% muzzle rise elimination and 50% recoil elimination. (these would be awesome on an M-16 )

http://www.bp-tec.com/Product%20Info.htm
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Ka-ching!

$235 a pop?!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
muzzle brakes suck! go with the fake FH. It's all about "the look" anyways. [;)]
View Quote

The only good answer Ive seen. Honestly, for what do you need a brake.
GG
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]
You need a brake only for very rapid "IPSC" style double taps.  They work and keep the gun on target. The best for this application is the JP Enterprises part.  It looks a little weird but both my IPSC guns wear them.  I've seen 8"steel plates at 200 yds double tapped and not missed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Have any of you tried the EGW AR-15 A2 Compensator? These are for sale in Brownells from 50.00 to 57.50. They are identical to the standard A2 FH but with a washer over the front.
Thanks,
Russell
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Edited: Thanks Vinnie - for giving me a BRAKE. [:D]
View Quote

LOL! Honestly, that's how I was indoctrined into the AR15.com family.  I asked about the Bushmaster AK styled "break." (hence the big smiley [:D])
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

GG
View Quote

My brakes are on there for one reason:  to protect the crown.  My prebans were stolen, and I could get about three posties for each preban.  Guess which route I took.  I got the A2 style brake put on because it helps protect the muzzle, not for looks.  That's why I need the brake, and why I really don't give a damn about the "look."  Recoil is negligible in the 5.56 so I wasn't worried about controlling the rifle better.  I am not real worried about what other people think about how much noise or blast I generate but on the off chance that someone was close I ruled out the AK and Ycomps.
Now that's a good answer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

GG
View Quote

My brakes are on there for one reason:  to protect the crown.  My prebans were stolen, and I could get about three posties for each preban.  Guess which route I took.  I got the A2 style brake put on because it helps protect the muzzle, not for looks.  That's why I need the brake, and why I really don't give a damn about the "look."  Recoil is negligible in the 5.56 so I wasn't worried about controlling the rifle better.  I am not real worried about what other people think about how much noise or blast I generate but on the off chance that someone was close I ruled out the AK and Ycomps.
Now that's a good answer.
View Quote

Sorry, I dont own any postban weapons so I dont know what it is like. But I would use the fake one to protect my muzzle if I did own one..
GG
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't own any either, until an ambassador from Turdland came by while I was out.  Rather than fight with the insurance over the details on finding preban rifles that were the config that I wanted, I decided to get the posties (especially at the exchange rate that I had).  The AK and Ycomp brakes seemed overly long and I heard bad reports on the blast, so I decided on the A2 lookalikes.  Also let me continue to use the muzzlecaps from my earlier rifles, although they are a rather tight fit.  My main concern was protecting the crown.  I never had a prob with the recoil of the rifle, so I didn't really notice any performance benefit of the brake other than possibly a more rearward push to the rifle, and I'm not sure about that anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top