Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2002 7:41:15 PM EDT
I got a preban Colt with 16" barrel.  How can I tell if I got a chrome barrel or not???  And what twist should I have.  I can't find any stamp on the barrel, unless it's under the hand gaurd.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean the chamber and barrel if needed. You'll see the difference from the grey of the chamber to the bright chrome of the barrel. Chambers aren't chromed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Chambers aren't chromed.
View Quote
If you have a chrome lined barrel, you should have a chrome lined chamber.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chambers aren't chromed.
View Quote
If you have a chrome lined barrel, you should have a chrome lined chamber.  
View Quote
Some Colt barrels have only the chamber lined.  I know of no barrels that have only the bore lined--the chrome chamber is the important part for reliability.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a preban Sporter Target model 6551 blue label.  The guy I got it from put a coll stock, a different upper w/ 16" barrel and flash suppressor.  The overall length of the barrel is 16".  It may be a 14.5" barrel plus the length of the flash supr.  I'm a newbie so I'm not sure what kind of upper or barrel this is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you see any marking on the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you see any marking on the barrel?
View Quote

The only marking on the barrel is just in front of the front sights is 556 on the top of the barrel.  On the top rear corner of the carry handle on the upper is C then under that is MB.  That's the only markings on the upper and barrel.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Most likely an Olympic Arms chrome-moly barrel - basic stuff.  So, there's a good chance it's a complete Oly upper.

Olympic does not chrome line their barrels or chambers, except some small, special runs of 20" A2 profile barrels from time to time.

The removable carry handle is a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most likely an Olympic Arms chrome-moly barrel - basic stuff.  So, there's a good chance it's a complete Oly upper.

Olympic does not chrome line their barrels or chambers, except some small, special runs of 20" A2 profile barrels from time to time.

The removable carry handle is a Colt.
View Quote

I haven't had alot of time to just sit down and look over the thing (kids).  So today while they were are school I got it out and looked more closely at it.  The acual barrel length is 11.5" plus the length of the flash supp.  The length from the front of the front pivot hole to the end of the flash supp is 16".  It DOES NOT have a removable carry handle.  Like I said before it has C MB on the top rear part of the carry handle.  So in the case the upper is Colt??  I am new at this and need help.  Thanks.  Shawn
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
[url=www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers]Bigger Hammer/uppers[/url]
this is a great resource. [smash]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top