Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2002 3:59:10 PM EDT
Does it really make the rifle more accurate using vortex?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what the maker claims.  I've never personally had it proved to me, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have read in magazine articles that it does improve accuracy.

Never tested it out though.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, this gun has the new Vortex installed, and it is a darn accurate gun considering the way its set up, but i cant say for sure if the Vortex has anything to do with it?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=142144
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Any accuracy gain of the Vortex is more than offset by the gigantic dust cloud it kicks up from the seated, kneeling, or prone position.

At one of the first ASSweb vegas shoots one shooter had a Vortex equipped AR. Shortly after each shot and dust cloud about 4 feet around would rise up from the groud and then spread out like the ripples in a pond. It's really impressive to see. But no fun to be standing in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not too sure about the accuracy you gain from the Vortex. But I much rather have the Phantom on my battle rifle, that's just me though. With the Phantom your muzzle wont get hung up on brush, and if you are in a rough MOUT situation and your AR is getting banged up the tips if the phantom have more support to keep from getting bent.

YMMV & Just my .02!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Both phantom and Vertex have the ability not to interfere with accuracy unlike the bird cage hider, to improve accuracy is first claimed by the manufacture, and later confirmed by PK of SAR in one of his awesome article.  
I use both the phantom and also the vertex, my phantom equipped SPR rifle I have got 1/4MOA with TAP at 100yards. I had the rifle with out hider at first, I got a good 1/2 MOA consistently at 100, then I had my smith tap and thread on the Phantom, the group remain at 1/2 MOA consistently, but I occasionally have a group down to 1/4MOA.  again, this doesn't mean anything, because I could be getting better as a shooter(what a joke :)), but I think the Phantom definitely do not diminish the accuracy on a rifle.  and that plus the ability to subside the flash is the biggest advantage you cna have on a fighting rifle.

As far as the dust cloud, the hider have to be set correctly, the prone openings has to be in the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock position so as it will not kick up a storm such as the guy in Vegas.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As far as the dust cloud, the hider have to be set correctly, the prone openings has to be in the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock position so as it will not kick up a storm such as the guy in Vegas.

Wow, I did not know thats why my Vortex was mounted with the prongs in that position. Kurt asked me how I wanted the prongs positioned when he mounted it. I didnt know and told him to just do it however he thought best. Im glad he knew, Kurt's the best!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
When the Vortex first came out I replaced the regular GI flash hiders on three ARs.  I did not notice any change in accuracy, but the scope zero did change slightly on all three.  This zero shift was repeatable in removing the Vortex and replacing the GI flash hider.  Of no significance, but interesting.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if it increases accuracy per se, however it is a very efficient flash suppressor and I have it on my SHTF gun.  Would not consider going to anything else unless it was proven to be more effective.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Re the Vortex

The Vortex was designed to be a flash hider and in the capacity, I have never seen anything that compares.  The fact that it kicks up dust etc from different positions has nothing to do with the design purpose however I am sure it could be rather annoying.

I first the first Vortex designs on a variety of weapons(uzi, mac, full auto etc) with the designer, and I am here to tell you that for the intended purpose....I don't know of a design that is it's equal. read NO LIGHT AT THE MUZZLE when fired at a obtuse angle in your direction, in full darkness.  

Later called Nil-Flash as I recall but if it is the true Vortex.....it's a hell of a flash hider.
The issues of dust etc. may or may not be a over riding issue depending on the value you place on it's primary intended purpose.

Paul Prochko
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
As a flash hider the Vortex is non-indexable, meaning it makes no difference.  There may be some benefit in not putting one slot directly down.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top