Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2002 9:48:43 AM EDT
Just pick up a RAS and 3 Knight 11 rib panels on the EE(thanks Ted).  I took the metal anchor off the panel to side them in place on the RAS.  Now I can not get the anchor back on.  I am afraid I will bend the anchor too far.  What the heck am I doing wrong?

Knight's website link, anyone?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You should not have removed it - just pushed in at the centre.
Fit one 'ear' in and force the other - it will go.

DO NOT REMOVE THEM AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Canadian tactical is correct.  The way we assemble them at the factory is to insert one side and snap the other into place.  Also, don't remove them again.
Usually one slides the end without the spring lock onto the rail first.  The spring lock on the other end will stop when it hits the front edge of the rail.  Then you push on the middle of the spring lock, and this will retract the ends enough for the panel to slide on all the way.  By design, the end grooves are a little narrower than the others, the ends of the spring lock should snap into them to keep the panel in place.
ColdBlue Sends...  
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

Tried it.  These bad boys do not want to go on!  I am putting so much pressure on the panel the rails are leaving marks and impressions on the ears of the panels.  One of the ears actualy chipped.  

What's next?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
they shouldn't require that much pressure, Gene.

Did you, by chance read the Instructions?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
223 - Odd, I have had experience with RIS's, RAS,s and the FF RAS.  Even in the field I have not had any real troubles getting the panles off and on.
I lent a RAS eqpt M4A1 to some of our snipers - they did what you did - but the panel had no serious after effets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The RAS is made by Les Baer.  Wonder if that has something to do with it?  Still no dice.  I think I am just gonna put his down for awhile, before it happens to fly out my window.  Maybe a different manufacturer panels will work better?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My Bad......Did not know the 3 letters R A S were trademarked like AR15....

Thanks for clearing up that issue though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah ha - my guess it is out of spec...........

Sorry but none of the KAC product I have been exposed to have had that problem, even under field usage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It might be good to ask Les Baer what will work on their rails, and inform them that the Knight's panels will not fit. (Unless they make their own, it's in their interest to be compatible with others, right?)

Maybe take a caliper to the rail and see if it's in spec. www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks,

Tried it.  These bad boys do not want to go on!  I am putting so much pressure on the panel the rails are leaving marks and impressions on the ears of the panels.  One of the ears actualy chipped.  

What's next?

So you're saying that you were able to reinstall the metal clips back into the panels, and now the KAC PANELS will not slide onto the rails of your Baer forend?

Hopefully you're trying to SLIDE the panels on, because if attempting to SNAP them on like a set of Ergo/Bushmaster/Falcon panel covers, you're messing up BAD!

The panels themselves DO NOT snap on/off straight onto railing.  They SLIDE on from front/rear.  

NO or LITTLE pressure is needed to slide them on/off, AFTER you disengage the locking of the metal clip by DEPRESSING it in its middle.

A good rule of thumb - if you're spending this much effort with a military-issue item of equipment, you're surely doing something wrong.  

Look at your instructions and don't force it!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again,

Well they are finally on. Two hammers and hacksaw and some duct tape did the the trick.

Had a little mishap at work last week which zapped a lot of strength from my right arm.  I was not able to put enough pressure on the metal anchor to get them to slide on to the rail.  A friend took care of it for me.  The sad part is that the panels are coming off and the R*S is off to the shop for some custom work.

No more stupid questions, I promise!

PS.  WES, Daniel Defense have a website?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top