Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 12:19:19 PM EDT
Well, just came to the conclusion that the A2 buttstock is a tad too long for my ladyfriend to shoot comfortably.  Started her off shooting from a rest and that was fine, until we started off-hand, prone and sitting.  She just can't get comfortable.  Being the stand-up guy that I am, I wish to make her every existence pleasurable.  My Options:

1.  RRA or Bushmaster "shorty" stock.  
2.  6 Position Telestock(with rubber pad, of course) pinned(post-ban legal) and set to the ideal position.

I don't not have expereince with either of these and would appreciate some feedback.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 is a great option - especially if you add the adjustable butt-plate (Fulton Armory sells this package stock & plate for $149 BTW)

#2 is not legal to do (you'd think it would be, but the BATF has issues with the idea).

Of course you could just try an A1 length stock that works for most people in the 5'6" - 6'4" range (you could use the A1 stock or the ACE skeleton stock).

Check out the options here groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
#2 is not legal to do (you'd think it would be, but the BATF has issues with the idea).

From my understanding and a recent thread, permanently pinning a collapsable stock is legal on a post-ban, as long as the rifle remains the minimum length requirements
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was running into the same problems with the A2 being too long as well and went to the ACE ARFX without the buttpad on all my ArmaLite rifles.  They look much better than a fake tele-stock, IMHO...

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
For those with the ACE skeleton stock, any suggestions on where to purchase one?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For those with the ACE skeleton stock, any suggestions on where to purchase one?

Thanks.

I was surprised to see that Bushmaster actually has them.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Just call direct:

ACE LTD. USA
P.O. Box 191
Chicago Park, CA 95712

(530) 346-2492  

My last ARFX without buttplate was $107 shipped from ACE...

edited to add links:

www.riflestocks.com

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/skeletonstock.asp
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]

From my understanding and a recent thread, permanently pinning a collapsable stock is legal on a post-ban, as long as the rifle remains the minimum length requirements

Even fully collapsed the rifle meets min length requirements.

However the Manufacturer's tried to do that after the ban.  The BATF would not allow them indicating it was 'too easy' to change it to a telescoping stock (yeah like 1 minute with a CAR wrench wouldn't allow me to swap from a fixed to telestock).   Due to the this ruling we now have the RRA/Bushmaster type fixed Telestock that uses a custom receiver extension that only has 1 threaded hole in it (for the screw).  By making another hole you have made it GASP! theoretically adjustable.

Yeah there are ways to fix that, but they are expensive and time consuming (no glues/bondo/liquid steel are not allowed).  Your best bet is the RRA 'tac' stock with adjustable butt plate.  Not only is it legal, but it properly balances the rifle (like using a full size stock).  With the Telestocks (even the fake ones) the rifles are a bit nose heavy (even with the M4 barrels).
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to see a half-way collapsed and fixed tele-style stock, somewhere around 8.5". Wouldn't it be legal since it is not collapsable at all?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would like to see a half-way collapsed and fixed tele-style stock, somewhere around 8.5". Wouldn't it be legal since it is not collapsable at all?

Of course it would be legal - just nobody makes such a beast.  To get 8.5" you could do the following:
1) get a RRA Tactical Stock (that gives you 7.25")

2) get a 1" spacer from DPMS or Knights (that gives you a total of 8.25"

3) Replace the plastic buttplate on the RRA stock with an A2 buttplate - that gives you an area to store an OTIS cleaning kit AND adds about .25" - you now have your 8.5" with a fixed stock.

I had done exactly that, it was OK.  However I didn't like the long screw that was required for the 1" DPMS extension (you needed an allen wrench and there was no drain hole).  I removed the spacer, and the A2 buttplate and replaced it with a Fulton Armory adjustable buttplate.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Mav,

Check out this thread.  I think you may be happy to hear that the BATF states it is legal to permanently fix a collapsible stock in any position and install it on a post-bam lower.  Here's the proof, just read the letter:

The Smoking Gun
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you Forest and 223Rem for your advice. I will take them into consideration before I settle down with this... tele-"style" stock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#12]
.223REM - Don't get too excited and actually READ the letter.  It states specifically 'WELD' the stock on page 1 & on page 2.

You can only weld the Aluminum telestock (which then ruins their protective rubber coating - and the Aluminum stocks are more fragile than the fiberlite (plastic) ones.

The letter does not mention pinning or glueing just WELDING.  You cannot weld plastic to aluminum.  The BATF has repeatedly ruled that 'JB Weld' or other chemical products are NOT PERMANENT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top