Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 1 of 143)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 143
Posted: 9/8/2010 12:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4ger:

Love this picture.

Which trigger do you like better in your experience?

Geissele & Larue, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
https://i.imgur.com/eVfaqEy.jpg

175 gr. Social distancing

Love this picture.

Which trigger do you like better in your experience?

Geissele & Larue, right?

Thank you sir.

For the money, the LaRue is very, very good. The LArue also, arguably, has better metallurgy. However, I preference the Geissele SDE, by a narrow margin. I have two LArue MBT2’s now, one “S” model and a curved... the “S” model is butt ugly being partially skeletonized... But functionally, it’s sweet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Sabre675: Thank you sir.

For the money, the LaRue is very, very good. The LArue also, arguably, has better metallurgy. However, I preference the Geissele SDE, by a narrow margin. I have two LArue MBT2’s now, one “S” model and a curved... the “S” model is butt ugly being partially skeletonized... But functionally, it’s sweet.
View Quote

Very welcome!

I'm running a SD-E in my MARS/RL quad but have had no time behind the MBT2S.

I am going to change that soon.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Dear LMT

Stop chewing up my stuff. K thanks

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
What is happening... I have spent an hour looking at about 20 different websites. Not a single one has a LMT buffer tube or buffer tube kit in stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
What is happening... I have spent an hour looking at about 20 different websites. Not a single one has a LMT buffer tube or buffer tube kit in stock.
View Quote
LMT parts in general seem scarce. I'm picking up an enhanced carrier and bolt from a local guy tomorrow. Couldn't find that stuff anywhere online.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:

It'll be going on a 10.3 Colt project.

And normally I wouldn't be able to but I guess it's a perk of having your own gun related business (I build AKs). Things have been wild lately
View Quote
Oh very cool. I'm glad you're doing well. If I ever get back into AK's I'll keep you in mind. I've had 9 over the last few years. They are fun to shoot but when I got serious about caliber consolidation, AK's left the stable.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#7]
Originally Posted By Hox:
LMT parts in general seem scarce. I'm picking up an enhanced carrier and bolt from a local guy tomorrow. Couldn't find that stuff anywhere online.
View Quote

I think it was either on Reddit or the LMT FB group someone said that after the move to IA they are really behind on their military contract rifles so they have been focusing on those and squeezing in commercial products when they can. IDK if that's true but it makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

I think it was either on Reddit or the LMT FB group someone said that after the move to IA they are really behind on their military contract rifles so they have been focusing on those and squeezing in commercial products when they can. IDK if that's true but it makes sense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

I have received this same information from the owner of a company that sells a large amount of LMT products.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes that was the general consensus. No idea what kind of timeline that pushes civil availability back. I was just looking for enhanced bolt extractor springs (as spares, no problems wit hthe ones I'm running). They are on LMT's website, but shipping is $15.00 on two TINY springs So, I found a whole bolt and carrier for a good deal instead for way more than the $15 shipping charge on springs funny how I work things like this out in my head.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
View Quote

Yes it sucks. Welcome to the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a question for anyone that has experience with both the KAC sandcutter carrier, and the LMT enhanced carrier.

For an 11.5" MRP, going on a factory defender 2000 lower with a KAC H2 buffer, would a KAC sandcutter bcg with LMT Enhanced Bolt be a good substitute for a full LMT Enhanced BCG?

This is a build that I have been slowly acquiring parts for over years, I am in no rush to buy anything. So with that said I don't mind waiting longer for the LMT BCG parts to come back in stock. The end state of this project that I have in mind will be a mostly suppressed set up (75% suppressed shooting) with a KAC Full size QDC.

So with all that said, I am not sure how gassed the 11.5" MRP barrels are. Also, I have heard/read lots of mixed things about the LMT enhanced BCG's in regards to function with a suppressor.

I am not interested in any of the adjustable carriers offered.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:
I have a question for anyone that has experience with both the KAC sandcutter carrier, and the LMT enhanced carrier.

For an 11.5" MRP, going on a factory defender 2000 lower with a KAC H2 buffer, would a KAC sandcutter bcg with LMT Enhanced Bolt be a good substitute for a full LMT Enhanced BCG?

This is a build that I have been slowly acquiring parts for over years, I am in no rush to buy anything. So with that said I don't mind waiting longer for the LMT BCG parts to come back in stock. The end state of this project that I have in mind will be a mostly suppressed set up (75% suppressed shooting) with a KAC Full size QDC.

So with all that said, I am not sure how gassed the 11.5" MRP barrels are. Also, I have heard/read lots of mixed things about the LMT enhanced BCG's in regards to function with a suppressor.

I am not interested in any of the adjustable carriers offered.

Thanks

View Quote
I literally sold my Sandcutter today because I bought an LMT enhanced bcg yesterday. I run an 11.5 suppressed. With the sandcutter, function was fine with a geissele braided wire and an H2 or H3. But I did get some gas if I was running it fast and ejection was about 2 o'clock. I have not yet shot the LMT enhanced but it makes more sense from a technical standpoint. Increased lockup time, more gas vented. I cant see how it wont be better for a short barrel suppressed. When I shoot it, I'll update. Also have a gas buster coming. Gas wasnt too awful, seemed appropriate, but running fast I'd have black carbon dots on my face.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
^ Thank you.

Please let me know how the enhanced bcg compares.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I literally sold my Sandcutter today because I bought an LMT enhanced bcg yesterday. I run an 11.5 suppressed. With the sandcutter, function was fine with a geissele braided wire and an H2 or H3. But I did get some gas if I was running it fast and ejection was about 2 o'clock. I have not yet shot the LMT enhanced but it makes more sense from a technical standpoint. Increased lockup time, more gas vented. I cant see how it wont be better for a short barrel suppressed. When I shoot it, I'll update. Also have a gas buster coming. Gas wasnt too awful, seemed appropriate, but running fast I'd have black carbon dots on my face.
View Quote

I need to try another enhanced carrier as I'm thinking I received a faulty one. My carrier speed increased therefore causing malfunctions as many here probably recall. (Suppressed 11.5")
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Things may have changed but lmt used to only reccomend three E-BCG with 14.5" or longer barrels.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
Things may have changed but lmt used to only reccomend three E-BCG with 14.5" or longer barrels.
View Quote

That has changed as it has gone through a number of revisions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]

I need to try another enhanced carrier as I'm thinking I received a faulty one. My carrier speed increased therefore causing malfunctions as many here probably recall. (Suppressed 11.5")
View Quote
I will be thouroughly butt-hurt if the enhanced carrier does the opposite of my goal. I'm holding onto the money from my Sandcutter in case it doesn't work out and I need to purchase another one. The EBCG I purchased locally was less money than I sold the Sandcutter for and came with an enhanced bolt as well. Worth it either way just to have a second enhanced bolt and basically received a free enhanced carrier amd inards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: domestique1] [#18]

View Quote

I'm not sold on the LMT Enhanced carrier for slowing down carrier speed to significantly change the rate of fire. It was designed more to increase dwell time and have a less violent bolt unlock.

This is directly from LMT:

Behold the laundry list of enhancements our design brings to the table:

Carrier:

Altered cam path for longer dwell time and more robust extraction
Modified gas hole improves gas flow across the bolt’s tail
Additional gas ports on right side and modified orientation to improve gas flowing through the ejection port, and not into your face
Relief grooves added to the top and bottom to channel debris and maintain fluid movement

They do not mention anything about reducing rate of fire.

I know many do not like adjustable carriers, but the Gemtech/Boot Leg IMHO will bleed off excess gas better then the LMT. The Surefire version would also be a good choice if you don't want to mess with settings.

The LMT bolt however.... awesome design.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By domestique1:
I know many do not like adjustable carriers, but the Gemtech/Boot Leg IMHO will bleed off excess gas better then the LMT.
View Quote

As someone who has both, this is very true.

If you're looking for something on a dedicated suppressed rifle this can't be beat vs. the EBCG. The only thing lacking on an adjustable carrier is that it doesn't provide extra dwell time like the E.

The E bolt can be used with an adjustable carrier, so you may be able to get an ultra reliable bolt with a great carrier.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried the Bootleg and Gemtech adjustable carriers but when it was all setup to run suppressed (which it did very well) it wouldn't run reliably without a can

I know I know, all it takes is a quick adjustment on the carrier but I'm very old school. I want the rifle to work in all situations and configurations with no adjustments.

With that being said, I've been very happy with the standard M16 carrier + H3 + Geissele recoil spring. No issues with and without the can for a few thousand rounds

Oh and LMTs enhanced bolts are exceptional! I have them in all of my rifles, even the non LMTs
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried the Bootleg and Gemtech adjustable carriers but when it was all setup to run suppressed (which it did very well) it wouldn't run reliably without a can

I know I know, all it takes is a quick adjustment on the carrier but I'm very old school. I want the rifle to work in all situations and configurations with no adjustments.

With that being said, I've been very happy with the standard M16 carrier + H3 + Geissele recoil spring. No issues with and without the can for a few thousand rounds

Oh and LMTs enhanced bolts are exceptional! I have them in all of my rifles, even the non LMTs
View Quote
I'm with you, I dont want to have to change settings when I remove or add a suppressor. I didn't have to do that with the Sandcutter (so, any standard carrier) but I thought the gasses venting away from the shooters face and increased bolt lock time to aid in extraction would both be good things for a generally suppressed SBR. Maybe I'm horribly wrong and should have held onto the Sandcutter. If I am, I'll sell the LMT enhanced and source another Sandcutter I suppose. I'll be out nothing but time, but will gain experience either way. And gained a second enhanced bolt
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniper3142] [#22]
I've searched the internet in general and this site in particular without finding ANY mention of what I saw in the video below from Shot Show 2020.

LMT DEFENSE - AUSTRIAARMS @ SHOTSHOW 2020

At the 2 minute and 37 second mark (2:37), the rifle on the bottom is a LMT MWS in .308... with a GAS PISTON.

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:
I've searched the internet in general and this site in particular without finding ANY mention of what I saw in the video below from Shot Show 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJ7ny3X2Qs

At the 2 minute and 37 second mark (2:37), the rifle on the bottom is a LMT MWS in .308... with a GAS PISTON.

View Quote

I believe it was for a contract submission. Unsure if it will ever make it to civilian hands.

I would probably buy one just because I'm a LMT whore... but I wouldn't look forward to the weight.  My MWS rifles are already pigs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Os the mlok mws chassis longer than the quad?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
View Quote

No, they are all the same length
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
View Quote

Same.

I count to T-49 on both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Love these pictures.  Nice rifle Sir.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hox] [#29]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJ7ny3X2Qs

View Quote
Part of the Estonia contract. They originally said MWS pistons setups would be available to civilians in 2021.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/29/shot-2020-lmt-talk-estonian-contract/
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
So it’s a rifle length piston then
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Same.

I count to T-49 on both.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401845/Untitled_jpg-1353277.JPG
View Quote

I just noticed now that LMT moved the MWS' case deflector rearward some.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AR415:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR415:

Same.

I count to T-49 on both.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401845/Untitled_jpg-1353277.JPG

good catch.  I wondered if the forgings were different and that would be an easy way to designate which ones receive which kind of milling.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Thanks brother
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
jtdam24

Great job, brother.

Looks like you are holding up your end plenty damn solid!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
jtdam24

Great job, brother.

View Quote

That's a huge compliment coming from an OG like you sir. Thank you
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#36]
My current go to
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks brother
View Quote
welcome!
jtdam24

Great job, brother.

View Quote
Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I know I don’t post much and lurk but I have a question-

What is your go to barrel length for your no nonsense/trust with your life- gun?

Is the 11.5” barrel the way to go?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By gunner03:
I know I don’t post much and lurk but I have a question-

What is your go to barrel length for your no nonsense/trust with your life- gun?

Is the 11.5” barrel the way to go?

Thanks
View Quote

11.5 seems to be the perfect balance for most uses (home defense, vehicle use, LE duty rifle, overall SHTF use).

I've been very happy with mine with thousands of rounds
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hox] [#40]
Originally Posted By gunner03:
I know I don't post much and lurk but I have a question-

Is the 11.5" barrel the way to go?

Thanks
View Quote
11.5 is pretty awesome, especially if you ever plan to run suppressed. 16" is totally fine if you never plan to suppress and dont want to go SBR or pistol route. Barrels are easy to change and they don't depreciate a ton, so if you're ever unhappy you can sell your barrel and buy the one you want. But after having an 11.5 for the last year, yeah that's been my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
welcome!
Worth repeating.
View All Quotes

Thanks brother
welcome!
jtdam24

Great job, brother.

Worth repeating.

Man, you guys are awesome.  And what you have done with the platform is incredible.
That kind of customer support is legendary.
But when you get a chance, go back and read some of the first MRP thread.

And remember this quote
"Like it or not, the MRP will be obsolete in January 2005."

And my first MRP post:  On page #9, 2-22-05
"Keep your fingers crossed, guys, my MRP is officially on the way.  
I hope the Ruskies can hold out a few more days before their first strike (LOL)!
Just don't hit the big brown truck!
I've got 4 ARMS mounts/hardware, rail covers, 2 Troy sights, and a Bushmaster lower/collapsible stock getting all jumpy here".

SMG-Lee, Curtis, WES, ZAK, DUFFY, Lumpy, Jack, USMC03, Chaos, Dinger, M4, Moe, C4, Denny, Nick, Wolf, bsbg, raptorman, and the rest.
What a motley crue, rogues gallery, or whatever you want to call them now.

It was great!
That first pic, without the front Troy, backordered!

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Man, you guys are awesome.  And what you have done with the platform is incredible.

And remember this quote

I hope the Ruskies can hold out a few more days before their first strike (LOL)!
I've got 4 ARMS mounts/hardware, rail covers, 2 Troy sights, and a Bushmaster lower/collapsible stock getting all jumpy here".

SMG-Lee, Curtis, WES, ZAK, DUFFY, Lumpy, Jack, USMC03, Chaos, Dinger, M4, Moe, C4, Denny, Nick, Wolf, bsbg, raptorman, and the rest.

It was great!

https://i.imgur.com/bKFtbBF.jpg?1

View All Quotes

Thanks brother
welcome!
jtdam24

Great job, brother.

Worth repeating.

And remember this quote

It was great!

https://i.imgur.com/bKFtbBF.jpg?1

Truly amazing Edwin. Really an amazing account of the history of the mrp platform from a real world user and an incredible look back at the start of the phenomenon we've all come to love. Thanks frmor bringing me back down memory lane.

I remember reading through the first thread thinking omg these are insane! I'll never be able to have one of these! All these years and over a dozen mrps later, I still love them just as much as when I first thought I'd never be lucky enough to have just one of them.

I've had a intimate connection with LMT for some years now and this is a good post to let out a secret. A few years ago LMT was hoping to release a 1911 made by them at SHOT show. It never came to fruition but can you imagine if it had..
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Enhanced bolts (not BCG) in stock at Forward Control Designs.

No relationship to seller, just a solid store with fantastic customer service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jtdam24: Truly amazing Edwin. Really an amazing account of the history of the mrp platform from a real world user and an incredible look back at the start of the phenomenon we've all come to love. Thanks frmor bringing me back down memory lane.

I remember reading through the first thread thinking omg these are insane! I'll never be able to have one of these! All these years and over a dozen mrps later, I still love them just as much as when I first thought I'd never be lucky enough to have just one of them.

I've had a intimate connection with LMT for some years now and this is a good post to let out a secret. A few years ago LMT was hoping to release a 1911 made by them at SHOT show. It never came to fruition but can you imagine if it had..
View Quote

Wow.  Cool.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4ger] [#45]
Originally Posted By AR415: I just noticed now that LMT moved the MWS' case deflector rearward some.
View Quote

FWIW, I have a black MWS upper with the same patent markings as my canteen MWS upper and the shell deflectors are spaced differently like the picture I linked.  Both are quads.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By methical20:
Enhanced bolts (not BCG) in stock at Forward Control Designs.

No relationship to seller, just a solid store with fantastic customer service.
View Quote

Sold out
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monsonman] [#47]
@edwin907, great post. those early threads that you, jtdam24, duffy and the rest were all involved in, inspired me to buy my first MRP over 10 years ago.

Here's a pic of my first one taken around 2011

and then shortly after it turned into this

After that became a whirlwind of chopping, dimpling, adding barrels to the collection, adding more MRPs to the collection, etc...

Good Times.

a couple pages back I mentioned that unclemoak had a package coming from me.

Here's a couple teasers til I get it back.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Thinking about having a 14.5 chopped down to 12.5, good to go ? Any issues if used with an enhanced BCG ?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#49]
FWIW to those discussing the enhanced carrier/suppressed/SBR guns, my setup experience is as follows:

- 14.5" Barrel cut to 11.5" by Marvin Pitts (gas-port unchanged)
- Enhanced carrier & Standard Bolt
- Vltor A5 buffer system
- KAC CQB suppressor

Un-suppressed = Never had a failure to feed/cycle.

Suppressed = Occasional failure to fully cycle.  Last round ejects, new round feeds, but trigger does not reset.  It plays out like a short-stroke, which is interesting because you'd think this would be more likely to happen without the suppressor and the additional gas-pressure it provides.  I've tried 3 different A5 buffer weights, but same behavior with each.  Granted, I'm pushing the envelope a bit here with the un-opened gas port on a shortened barrel, enhanced carrier, and short can. (This is maybe a 2-5 per 100 round occurrence)  Been planning on testing with a standard carrier to see if that makes a difference.  Also, the now available factory 11.5" barrels are probably more heavily gassed than mine...So I might pick one of those up at some point.

Minimal to no-gas in face and pretty much seems like I'm shooting un-suppressed.  The short can (less backpressure) also plays a part in this I'd imagine though.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Xskier45:Suppressed = Occasional failure to fully cycle.  Last round ejects, new round feeds, but trigger does not reset.  It plays out like a short-stroke, which is interesting because you'd think this would be more likely to happen without the suppressor and the additional gas-pressure it provides.  I've tried 3 different A5 buffer weights, but same behavior with each.  Granted, I'm pushing the envelope a bit here with the un-opened gas port on a shortened barrel, enhanced carrier, and short can. (This is maybe a 2-5 per 100 round occurrence)  Been planning on testing with a standard carrier to see if that makes a difference.  Also, the now available factory 11.5" barrels are probably more heavily gassed than mine...So I might pick one of those up at some point.
View Quote

Trigger doesn't reset??  But round is fully fed?  Ever a failure to feed? Fresh recoil spring?  Where is ejection unsuppressed vs suppressed.?  Trigger pack?  

Have you tried a regular 10.5" LMT barrel?  14.5" good with & without suppressor?
Definitely give the regular carrier a whirl.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 1 of 143)
Top Top