Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2021 8:41:16 AM EDT
Recently went with Aero precision for a new build, upper and lower are both M4E1. The upper came complete but I have noticed a pretty big gap between the upper & various lowers (all m4e1) and also a pretty good amount of play/rattle. I'm aware of the set screw in the M4E1's that take out the slop but they also make the takedown pins near impossible to remove without a tool. The loose feeling really isn't as big of a peeve as is the gap between the receivers. I've already contacted Aero and been told this is normal but I would like some other opinions from you guys. I understand some space is common but I was hoping for a tighter fit from all the Aero hype especially when comparing to some other cheaper builds i've used including psa/adams which all had pretty tight tolerances with barely any rattle/wiggle. Even if this is 100% functional and just my OCD I'm curious would you guys consider this acceptable/normal for yourselfs.

Thanks

Pics - https://imgur.com/a/EfsP9QY

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Guys with OCD should not purchase AR's.

At the end of the day....It is and always will be....a Military grade weapon built along those specs...
Some manufacturers are better then others...but no AR manufacturer would throw that on the QC scrap pile.

The true mark of a quality AR is how reliable and how accurate....nothing more.

If you're looking for asthetics....start buying $5000 over/under shotguns.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
And what would the dimension for a tighter fit be? what would be the standard? what would be the tolerance?

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If I payed more I would expect more. But that's just me.
What does it the gap measure?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At the end of the day....It is and always will be....a Military grade weapon built along those specs...
Some manufacturers are better then others...but no AR manufacturer would throw that on the QC scrap pile.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty much with him, it's fairly common if if your really look at a lot of receiver sets. As long as it's functional.

It's fine OP, Don't look at it with a candle behind it?

Also don't ever ever buy a Larue UU and Stealth Lower, you would not be a happy camper.

Not trying to be a smart ass but I think you have a little too high expectations of a cheap functional machine part.  I've had a little of every brand with variations all kinds of ways.  Aero is good to go with well made and thought out products. Cosmetic fitment does not = functional quality.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
My MOST Accurate AR...  Also happens to be one of my MOST "wobbly"...

Fact of life with the AR system.  

If it really Really REALLY bothers you, get a small O ring about the size of the upper receiver front post.  Slide it down the front receiver post.  When you close the rifle, that O-ring will take the slack - wobble out for the princely sum of about .36 cents.   Buy a few and may your OCD find new "perils" upon which to focus.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But, but... for us guys with OCD, that is part of the fun !!
View Quote

2 words.....

Matched sets.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also don't ever ever buy a Larue UU and Stealth Lower, you would not be a happy camper.
View Quote

Yep. My 7.62 lower has inconsistencies on the Larue logo. Drives me mad. They offered to swap it with another blemished product. Yeah, no thanks. Decided I’m going to sell it and go with a KAC SR25 due to Larues ego. It’s funny that a company gets butt hurt about a customer demanding a precise product. Perhaps they should use that attitude to turn around and learn how to correctly machine a product, maybe I’m weird.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP would have a stroke if he bought an AK.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd recommend moving your camera a degree or two so you don't see the gap.

It's nature of the beast. None of my M4E1 builds have that gap, but I've also had other AR's that were worse than yours. Shooting it usually cures that little bit of initial disappointment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. My 7.62 lower has inconsistencies on the Larue logo. Drives me mad. They offered to swap it with another blemished product. Yeah, no thanks. Decided I’m going to sell it and go with a KAC SR25 due to Larues ego. It’s funny that a company gets butt hurt about a customer demanding a precise product. Perhaps they should use that attitude to turn around and learn how to correctly machine a product, maybe I’m weird.
View Quote

Well, I was just talking about the how the angles on the upper match up to the lower. But I guess weird logo is sort of in the same wheelhouse.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

2 words.....

Matched sets.
View Quote

This.

I recall many moons ago, not every Lego piece would snap on. I was mad the maker did not provide matched working/verified sets.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote

I will try to tip toe around this response, as I respect what @Tigwelder1971 and @Harv24 say and comment on very much, these things are buitlt to a spec and if that spec is met, it is released....but I have serious OCD and my collection of ARs shows that, I have one side of the collection that have passed my OCD criteria and some rifles that I tolerate on the other side.  I get what I paid for and paid for what I got, so over the years, the OCD has cost me a lot of money, instead of ordering my LMT, KAC and DD rifles, I paid extra to purchase from a dealer so I could inspect them first....but a decision I made....this is how I continue with my AR hobby while managing my OCD  

But I will say this to you, IMO, that is a lot of "crack" there in your picture....not one of mine, and I have a sizable colletion are like that

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OP would have a stroke if he bought an AK.
View Quote

And this is why I dont own an AK!!! Nor a LWRC....I have yet to find a LWRC that did not rattle like a Shlitz beer can with rocks in it....I handled one that was so bad, even the gun shop guy said "this one needs to go back" to the factory
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will try to tip toe around this response, as I respect what @Tigwelder1971 and @Harv24 say and comment on very much, these things are buitlt to a spec and if that spec is met, it is released....but I have serious OCD and my collection of ARs shows that, I have one side of the collection that have passed my OCD criteria and some rifles that I tolerate on the other side.  I get what I paid for and paid for what I got, so over the years, the OCD has cost me a lot of money, instead of ordering my LMT, KAC and DD rifles, I paid extra to purchase from a dealer so I could inspect them first....but a decision I made....this is how I continue with my AR hobby while managing my OCD  

But I will say this to you, IMO, that is a lot of "crack" there in your picture....not one of mine, and I have a sizable colletion are like that

View Quote

You're the one that Dirty Harry mentions in his Movie.... "A mans got to know his limitations"
You get it, and you are not afraid to pony up in the pursuit of getting what you want.

Nothing wrong with that at all. At the end of the day, one has to make themselves happy and not settle. But you also have to have the knowedge and manage the expectations.
You have a method that works to make you happy. OP, you may have to do the the same thing, only buy in person, so you can see ahead of time what you're getting.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
It would bother me, but it's also Aero.

I buy from brands that consistently put out products with higher tolerances and fit/finish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy six Anderson lowers and put them together.  I am sure one will be just right with that upper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
It wouldn't bother me...  It's an "economy" rifle build. And if it shot OK, it wouldn't bother me no matter the price.

I may have 6 just like it in the safe... All my Aeros go boom, and shoot were I point.  I have no idea if they have a gap or not...  I've never "candled" a rifle before.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've never "candled" a rifle before.
View Quote

Patchouli can be quite relaxing I've heard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The most play I ever had between an upper and a lower was from Knights armament (upper and lower bought separately) One of the best rifles I ever owned. No visible gap like that though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Anderson upper and lower were bought a year apart from each other . LMT was purchased as a complete rifle .

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I buy from brands that consistently out products with higher tolerances and fit/finish.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I buy from brands that consistently put out products with higher tolerances and fit/finish.
View Quote

This is why i buy Noveske.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're the one that Dirty Harry mentions in his Movie.... "A mans got to know his limitations"
You get it, and you are not afraid to pony up in the pursuit of getting what you want.

Nothing wrong with that at all. At the end of the day, one has to make themselves happy and not settle. But you also have to have the knowedge and manage the expectations.
You have a method that works to make you happy. OP, you may have to do the the same thing, only buy in person, so you can see ahead of time what you're getting.

View Quote

@Harv24

You made my day!!!  Have a great weekend
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@Harv24

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Harv24

That was put quite well, you're like a wordsmith
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#28]
How's it look without back lighting.  All my guns has some type of gap there.  I don't know if I'd have noticed unless you pointed it out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm pretty much with him, it's fairly common if if your really look at a lot of receiver sets. As long as it's functional.

It's fine OP, Don't look at it with a candle behind it?

Not trying to be a smart ass but I think you have a little too high expectations of a cheap functional machine part.  I've had a little of every brand with variations all kinds of ways.  Aero is good to go with well made and thought out products. Cosmetic fitment does not = functional quality.
View Quote

Unfortunately this.  Its actually called a propane tank o ring and it is available for next to nothing at most hardware stores.

The funny thing is that there are companies that made /  make upper / lower sets that lock up super tight.  Warsport for all the flack they got made very tight fitting weapons.  Umbrella Corp. stuff fits together like an OJ glove.  However, for what it is worth, the 2 companies that have impressed me the most are KAC and POF, in both instances, uppers and lowers not sold as a set and in some case made decades apart still fit together like they were a matched set.  I guess YMMV as this is based on personal experience and not what I have read.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Candles are meh. Go full LED.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My aero receivers fit together fine, but I've never tried shining light between them to look for a gap. I will say that in your picture the gap seems to be very uniform and consistent from one end to the other. Can you see the gap without the light? Is it obnoxiously wobbly?  I'm not really seeing an issue from the picture.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#32]
The best fix is to shoot it until you don’t care anymore.  

ETA: High volume shooting is also the best fix for scratches and purple anodizing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Tightest set I've seen was a Noreen billet.
My aero standard forged set in fde has no gap whatsoever.
JSE sells matched sets made by Mega but branded JSE.

My aero m4e1s have a little gap.

If it's an issue, maybe a machine shop could drill out the upper lugs and place an eccentric brass insert.

Some have used JB weld to fill the gap with one reciever previously waxed to prevent sticking.

I just use the upper tensioner screw.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought a Aero  matched upper and lower about 6-7 years ago nice and tight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Basically how I feel as I've paid less for a better fit. Not sure the exact measurement but I can easily slip business cards through.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Unfortunately this.  Its actually called a propane tank o ring and it is available for next to nothing at most hardware stores.

The funny thing is that there are companies that made /  make upper / lower sets that lock up super tight.  Warsport for all the flack they got made very tight fitting weapons.  Umbrella Corp. stuff fits together like an OJ glove.  However, for what it is worth, the 2 companies that have impressed me the most are KAC and POF, in both instances, uppers and lowers not sold as a set and in some case made decades apart still fit together like they were a matched set.  I guess YMMV as this is based on personal experience and not what I have read.
View Quote

The tightest rifles I have ever had were my RRA's from many years ago....these are long gone now

My Larue 762 OBR still to this day needs a good whack with my hand on the stock to get it apart and to put back together
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Of course the most important thing is function, but the process of building and personalizing the rifle is also a big part of the joy of owning an ar and I think for me the slop/fit of the receivers is not something I can just ignore or settle for. I see some responses suggestion brands like lmt,pof,kac  /matched sets. Are these considered the higher end for fit & finish. I was under the impression that Aero was pretty solid but am open to some higher end suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of course the most important thing is function, but the process of building and personalizing the rifle is also a big part of the joy of owning an ar and I think for me the slop/fit of the receivers is not something I can just ignore or settle for. I see some responses suggestion brands like lmt,pof,kac  /matched sets. Are these considered the higher end for fit & finish. I was under the impression that Aero was pretty solid but am open to some higher end suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback
View Quote

Also on a side note, Aero's lower parts kit was pretty trash quality
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#39]
My Armalite AR-10 is tight.
Never would have purchased it if it looked like that...
Just like I will never buy a weapon meant to be used by a 12 year old in Assganastan to lay down suppressive fire, and only cost $20 (AKs).
But people keep excepting poorly built weapons, and so manufactures keep pushing that shit out, but they cost a whole lot more than an AK.

OP, I have looked at ARs with that gap, and think a fix would be to clean that surface so it's 100% fee from any oil, mask off everything, except that surface.
Then spray the upper surface with a mold release, or even a film of spray silicone, and put the two together with the front pin.
Then spray the lower surface with a coat of Phil Swift in a can (Flex Seal), remove all the masking, then close, and push in the rear pin, and let cure.
It should create a bonded soft seal on the lower, that when the upper is in place, will not have a gap.

I have done this on race engine (OHC) front timing covers, where I went to custom copper, super thin head gaskets, and never had a leak, even after multiple tear downs, as long as I don't scrape the head across it when assembly/disassembly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Recently went with Aero precision for a new build, upper and lower are both M4E1. The upper came complete but I have noticed a pretty big gap between the upper & various lowers (all m4e1) and also a pretty good amount of play/rattle. I'm aware of the set screw in the M4E1's that take out the slop but they also make the takedown pins near impossible to remove without a tool. The loose feeling really isn't as big of a peeve as is the gap between the receivers. I've already contacted Aero and been told this is normal but I would like some other opinions from you guys. I understand some space is common but I was hoping for a tighter fit from all the Aero hype especially when comparing to some other cheaper builds i've used including psa/adams which all had pretty tight tolerances with barely any rattle/wiggle. Even if this is 100% functional and just my OCD I'm curious would you guys consider this acceptable/normal for yourselfs.

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/zVyUccm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gz2zGhg.jpg

Pics - https://imgur.com/a/EfsP9QY

View Quote

Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I have had to turn my OCD down a few levels when it comes to ARs

Forged parts are the worst. I can show you areas/measurement on a forged upper and lower most people don't pay attention to but once it's seen it can be unseen.

Aero has been the best so far for forged part matching.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI

as much as I want to jump on the OP I remember posting threads like this in 2006/2007.  Eventually you loosen up and cherish the scratches, dings, scuffs and honest wear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Basically how I feel as I've paid less for a better fit. Not sure the exact measurement but I can easily slip business cards through.
View Quote

There is a max the gap could be if the upper was held with the lower attached hanging on spec sized pins when the gap is measured. But some business cards I measured out of a stack were that thin.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

As a guy with some major OCD issues, I have to say that truer words have never been spoken... I actually just blew a mental fuse yesterday in regards to my OCD and AR parts and I had to lower all my standards just to live another day.

Right now I'm hardly hanging on trying to resist the urge to go and buy a MoMO from Ned at MGUNS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But, but... for us guys with OCD, that is part of the fun !!
View Quote

Hahaha! I tried to convince myself that that was the case, but it just leads to a severe case of "serenity now, insanity later"
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Wouldn't bother me one bit, chuck a loaded magazine in it and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Dunno. Never noticed any of these cosmetic imperfections until people here brought them up. I'll have to see if any of mine are like that

I know I have a big gap on the back of some, but I don't really care.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Was bored, decided to check.
all of mine have a gap...LMT/BCM, the Aero Upper/lower...

Never look closely at how a belt feed machine gun is put together........
or a Main Battle tank.... or a grenade.... or a canteen....
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I had the same thing with my aero set as well as some other QC issues. My factory colt rifle has zero very little slop between the receivers and has been what I more or less compare things to; in comparison aero has been disappointing.  I'm just going with matched billet sets going forward, things like that bug me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had the same thing with my aero set as well as some other QC issues. My factory colt rifle has zero slop between the receivers and has been what I more or less compare things to; in comparison aero has been disappointing.  I'm just going with matched billet sets going forward, things like that bug me.
View Quote

What are the go to companies for matched sets?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top