Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 1:47:26 PM EDT
I love the way my Block 1.5 gun w/ the ACOG looks, but the Block III'ish MK18 stomps a hole in it when I'm running around....Any other thoughts on coolest configuration (A1, 733, Blood Diamond) vs. most practical (Block 2 or 3, Recce).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats the block 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you saying that carry handle uppers are not practical?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all!  Love them with a aimpoint micro up top or a 3x Acog
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There’s pretty much FSB builds and long free float builds

The only real differences are attachment hardware and the stuff attached.

My favorite looking AR is a basic carry handle carbine.  My favorite using gun is Block 1-ish with an Aimpoint and a light.

The long free float RECCE / 3-gun builds are cool too.  

So I guess I like everything.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I like hybrids.. take the good things of a kiss setup and add some improvements like a long FF handguard and a rds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whats the block 3
View Quote

I would assume he’s referring the URGI stuff.

Sure, trends happen in the AR world, but many of them occur because they offer something of benefit.  

Longer, lighter weight handguards are generally easier to shoot with and more comfortable than a short 7” rail behind a FSB on a CLGS barrel.  FF offers some advantages as well.

Optics offer increased capability in a wider range of environments.

Lights and lasers do the same.

Shorter barrels and suppressors could offer some benefits depending upon intended use.

I generally don’t really care what something looks like provided it enhances my capabilities.  I’d advise all do the same.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They may be “practical” in the general sense of the word, but they present some interesting challenges for things like optic mounting without a whole lot gained in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Practical is cool! My 2 cents
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#9]
In an urban type area?  A 10.5ish pistol(or SBR if you must have a stock) with an RDS and a light is the most practical, IMO.  Coolest?  That's a matter of opinion.  I think NV setups with the gadgets look operator af, but I can't afford all that crap, much less an actual NV setup.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Function > form

I mean we all care about aesthetics to some extent and there's nothing wrong with that. But, if a part doesn't add to the capability and performance of the weapon, I'd be hesitant to use it.

Range toys are a different story.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
i start with clone ish builds as a baseline for "cool" and then i make adjustments and changes to be "practical" as i shoot the gun and find things that i dont like
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 11.5" A1 upper 733 clone and it's amazing how light and handy it is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
All fun when you have the third pin

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They may be “practical” in the general sense of the word, but they present some interesting challenges for things like optic mounting without a whole lot gained in the long run.
View Quote

I find a FSB and carry handle configuration to be ideal for my needs. They're durable, battle tested and don't rely on batteries...all things that are required of my ARs as they are for SHTF situation. I make mine Dissipator style for the longer sight radius. I have them all configured the same so that regardless of which one pick up (or hand to a family member) they all work the same. There's a lot to be said for KISS.

I don't plan to use them for home defense, I've got shotguns and handguns for that. They're to defend the farm if things go south and they'll certainly be up to that task. I do have some that are set up for long range shooting as well, but those are clearly special purpose variants. I'm hoping that, other than practice time, they are never needed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Get both.

This is my most practical gun, it's small, relatively light given all the doodads, accurate, reliable. In my opinion it's the coolest gun I've configured yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I find a FSB and carry handle configuration to be ideal for my needs. They're durable, battle tested and don't rely on batteries...all things that are required of my ARs as they are for SHTF situation. I make mine Dissipator style for the longer sight radius. I have them all configured the same so that regardless of which one pick up (or hand to a family member) they all work the same. There's a lot to be said for KISS.

I don't plan to use them for home defense, I've got shotguns and handguns for that. They're to defend the farm if things go south and they'll certainly be up to that task. I do have some that are set up for long range shooting as well, but those are clearly special purpose variants. I'm hoping that, other than practice time, they are never needed.
View Quote

What if I told you I have seen more broken iron sights than I have aimpoints?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#17]
In my mind “cool” is relative to shooter performance.

I try to keep in mind there are a lot of options my rifles get that have little to nothing to do with my ability to perform with them.

I’ll never be faster or more accurate because I’m using a Magpul stock over a B5 or the newest color from Railscales.

After barrel, trigger and optic spend your efforts more towards ammo and training.

We all want our gear to be capable and cool at the same time but I’d bet we all know plenty of examples of guys buying a 4th setup of mediocre gear to add to the collection of guns he seldom trains with.

I carry a gun for work (big city LEO) so I make an effort to try to shoot every week... that ranges from full training day to sometimes stop by and do one box of pistol working some specific drill. Always struggling to keep the rust off....

Work rifle pic for attention.... Centurion Arms 12.5 with Surefire RC2, T2 in LaRue, SF Scout DF, Geissele SSA, Magpul and LFT handstop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What if I told you I have seen more broken iron sights than I have aimpoints?
View Quote

If you can break a carry handle or FSB doing something that wouldn't upset an aimpoint, I'm impressed. It's certainly possible, but I'd think very unlikely. Also, not interested in anything with electronics.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top