Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:32:49 PM EDT
I’m considering upgrading a Mil-spec CH on one of my builds and those are my two options.

I wanted to see if the $30 increase for a Geissele is worth it compared to a Radian LT. I have a Radian LT on another build so I have that for reference. I’m a big fan of it but I’m always open to other options if they are a smart purchase.

Are there any features that the LT is lacking that justifies it?

Also, how does the Geissele G2S compare to the MBT-2S?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Radian ended this competition years ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Radian is better. Try out the standard all aluminum version instead of the LT.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
In general, I prefer the feel of the MBT over the G2S.  Now if you step up to the B-G2S-E, that feels better than the MBT.

B-G2S-E is the Brownells exclusive version of the G2S that feels just like the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several of both. They are pretty equal, IMO. Get the one you like the looks of. Not the LT one though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I never understood the big appeal of Geissele products. Their triggers used to be the best when it was only them.

Radian 100%.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never understood the big appeal of Geissele products. Their triggers used to be the best when it was only them.

Radian 100%.
View Quote

The appeal is G makes good stuff. The Radian is very good, but so is the G. Both are light-years nicer than milspec. There's not a wrong answer here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In general, I prefer the feel of the MBT over the G2S.  Now if you step up to the B-G2S-E, that feels better than the MBT.

B-G2S-E is the Brownells exclusive version of the G2S that feels just like the SSA-E.
View Quote

I have a gift card that limits me to the G2S. If I could I would consider the Brownells.

What do you feel is the difference between the MBT-2S compared to the G2S?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have several of both. They are pretty equal, IMO. Get the one you like the looks of. Not the LT one though.
View Quote

The LT version seems to capture the best of Radian’s design while being lighter weight and more affordable.

However the overall color and design of the Geissele SCH DDC looks damn pretty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a gift card that limits me to the G2S. If I could I would consider the Brownells.

What do you feel is the difference between the MBT-2S compared to the G2S?
View Quote
MBT-2S is normally slightly crisper and slightly lighter than the G2S.  But they're both really good triggers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Radian aluminum for my charging handles, and Geissele SSA for my triggers. So get both
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Geissele is more Gucci. It really is an amazing handle. I have both and like Gucci.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If you’re not shooting suppressed then it really doesn’t matter.   If you are, then the Geissele has a slight advantage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve never tried a Raptor but the  levers on the G are hard to grab or pinch because of the pointy shape.

If all you do is hook a finger and rip it, I guess it’s ok.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Radian and MBT is a great and affordable combination.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the Vltor charging handle over them all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
BCM?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They seem to be in a middle ground between a standard Mil-Spec and the fully gucci/ambi charging handles.

I have also seen POF Ambis available but I don’t hear much about them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Raptor SD is by far the best charging handle, if you ever plan to shoot it suppressed.  Unfortunately, they are nigh impossible to find these days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both an think it just a matter of flipping a coin. I see no real advantage between the two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have both an think it just a matter of flipping a coin. I see no real advantage between the two.
View Quote

The Raptor is unparalleled for non-suppressed shooting.

For suppressed, Armageddon Tactical EVO
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 2 ARs with Ambi Vltor BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, I like these a lot.
One with G Airborne ambi, this has smaller latches and not as easy to grab if you have a scope.
I have range gun with the LT ambi, seem ok.

I shoot lefty so ambi changing handle is nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Radian 100%.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have 2 ARs with Ambi Vltor BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, I like these a lot.
One with G Airborne ambi, this has smaller latches and not as easy to grab if you have a scope.
I have range gun with the LT ambi, seem ok.

I shoot lefty so ambi changing handle is nice.
View Quote

That’s good to know. I’ll be running a Huey for the build I’m planning on making some adjustments to. I don’t think the handle would be too small since I’ll have the clearance on my upper receiver.

As of now I have complete build but I’m prioritizing between the following:

-Upgrading my l mil-spec charging handle to Geissele SCH ($90) or Radian LT ($63)
-Upgrading my PSA “Enhanced” Trigger to a Geissele G2S ($155)
-Adding a Streamlight HL-X weapon light (considering staying away from this since I’m trying to keep the build lightweight)
-Adding MBUS Sights (tempted to hold off until Gen 3’s release since I don’t think my Huey will fail me)

What do you all think from that list?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Like others, I have both and like both.   6 half dozen of the other imo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The G CH snags on stuff.  Even the airborne one snags.  

Never had a Radian Snag on gear.  Less pointy handles I guess.

PRI gasbuster is the way to go for suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I found a Raptor LT on sale about a year or so ago and picked it up. It's nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BCM?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM?

The Vltor charging handles used to be sold under the Bravo Company name, but the current Bravo Company charging handles are just their own version of the Raptor... Same as Geissele, all the new handles are just Raptor copies.

I'm glad Vltor decided to keep making them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Started out with one Raptor on my bedside 300. Now have them on everything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I had all of those same decisions to make within the last year or so. Here’s how I’d upgrade in order:

Trigger - softer trigger makes first shots and follow up shots more accurate, very much so compared to a GI single stage. I went with the MBT-2S based on recommendations here and have no regrets.

Irons - once you have a smooth trigger, you’ll find the gun to be boringly accurate shooting 200 and in at stationary targets. Irons add a challenge back. I’ve stuck with the MBUS Pro front for the tool-less adjustable front elevation and the fine match front post option built in. For rears, I wanted the bullet drop functionality to match my ACSS scope (1000yd) and ACSS red dot (600yd). I’ve tried the MBUS Pro LR (600m), KAC 600m micro and LMT 700yd. I like the LMT the best (dual aperture, controls not too stiff to move without tools, yardage mark is viewable from either side of rifle). The other two rear sights are missing at least one of those features.

Charging Handle - I bought the Radian Raptor LT, because I was too cheap to pay for the metal one. As a lefty, I absolutely hate the GI charging handle and anything here is an upgrade regardless of brand.

Light - Unless you shoot at night, or realistically expect a defensive scenario, this is just a decoration compared to the others. I bought a HL-X and the Cloud Defensive switch mount. I loved the light but it was heavy (nagging support arm shoulder injury).  I just sold it to mount a far lighter Surefire X300U pistol light upside down in front of my irons Larry Vickers style. You could go with a cheaper pistol light, because Surefire prices are a gut punch, but I did it for their ambi switches.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Radian is better. Try out the standard all aluminum version instead of the LT.
View Quote

Agree,

I have a few Radian LT's and should have went with the standard....

Never used a Geissele, but the Radian IMO is an excellent charging handle

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I need to try the Armageddon Tactial, my KAC Mod 1 is as gassy as a pork-n-beans weekend.  I have a Radian with the vent slots, no difference
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Raptor SD is by far the best charging handle, if you ever plan to shoot it suppressed.  Unfortunately, they are nigh impossible to find these days.
View Quote

I'd just say that in my experience, the SD is mediocre at best when it comes to diverting gas while shooting suppressed.

They work okay as long as the gun is dirty enough to help seal the charging handle channel, but in a clean gun, they provide essentially no benefits. Perhaps if you lucked out with an upper receiver that was right at the minimum tolerance specs, it might be alright, but that doesn't say much for the product design.  

In general, Raptors are great, but as far as charging handles specifically for suppressed use, the SD isn't something I'd recommend. Give me a Gas Buster with combat latch any day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got Radians in all of my guns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The G CH snags on stuff.  Even the airborne one snags.  

Never had a Radian Snag on gear.  Less pointy handles I guess.

PRI gasbuster is the way to go for suppressed.
View Quote

...until you decide to switch hands and shoot lefty.  Then you realize just how well they divert excess gas.
But if you only shoot righty, they are the bees knees.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I need to try the Armageddon Tactial, my KAC Mod 1 is as gassy as a pork-n-beans weekend.  I have a Radian with the vent slots, no difference
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.  It's the best out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I have both.  I like the Geissele vs the Radian Raptor(The regular one) but not by much.  I think the Geissele doesn't stick out quite as far and feels slightly more robust.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw a couple say to avoid the LT. Why's that? What's wrong with that version?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a few Raptors and I do really like them, but since Radian decided not to send me the few I ordered on Black Friday, I bought a Geissele Super.  I guess I’ll see in a week or so how it compares.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That’s good to know. I’ll be running a Huey for the build I’m planning on making some adjustments to. I don’t think the handle would be too small since I’ll have the clearance on my upper receiver.

As of now I have complete build but I’m prioritizing between the following:

-Upgrading my l mil-spec charging handle to Geissele SCH ($90) or Radian LT ($63)
-Upgrading my PSA “Enhanced” Trigger to a Geissele G2S ($155)
-Adding a Streamlight HL-X weapon light (considering staying away from this since I’m trying to keep the build lightweight)
-Adding MBUS Sights (tempted to hold off until Gen 3’s release since I don’t think my Huey will fail me)

What do you all think from that list?
View Quote

If you're going for lightweight, may I suggest that you look into an Inforce WML or WMLx for a light? If I can recall correctly, the WML weights less than three rounds of 9x19 115 grain ball.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I like the Geissele a bit better. Can't go wrong either way!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Both are great so for most it's personal preference.

Both have good non-slip texturing on the levers. Vertical serrations on the Radian versus tread (vertical and horizontal grooves giving it a surface almost like coarse checkering) on the Geissele.

The Raptor has a short lever on the latch side and a long lever on the forward assist side versus The Geissele's equal length levers, two short levers on the SCH-Airborne and two long levers on the SCH.

The levers on the Geissele are curved and come to more of a point than the Raptor. The Raptor's levers start a little bit further back and after a short radius are angled forward with no curve (flat face).

The Geissele has a small lip across the top where it meets the top of the receiver (to deflect some gas). Some people put a bead of silicone across the top of Raptors to seal off gas.

In both designs the latch side lever moves independently from the other lever. While the forward assist side lever works upon the latch side lever.

The Geissele's latch is a separate piece (that has a leg that travels in a channel in the latch side lever) and is pinned in independently from the lever. The Raptor's latch is part of the lever (at least it is on the original aluminum lever version).

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Both have good non-slip texturing on the levers. Vertical serrations on the Radian versus tread (vertical and horizontal grooves giving it a surface almost like coarse checkering) on the Geissele.

The Raptor has a short lever on the latch side and a long lever on the forward assist side versus The Geissele's equal length levers, two short levers on the SCH-Airborne and two long levers on the SCH.

The levers on the Geissele are curved and come to more of a point than the Raptor. The Raptor's levers start a little bit further back and after a short radius are angled forward with no curve (flat face).

The Geissele has a small lip across the top where it meets the top of the receiver (to deflect some gas). Some people put a bead of silicone across the top of Raptors to seal off gas.

In both designs the latch side lever moves independently from the other lever. While the forward assist side lever works upon the latch side lever.

The Geissele's latch is a separate piece (that has a leg that travels in a channel in the latch side lever) and is pinned in independently from the lever. The Raptor's latch is part of the lever (at least it is on the original aluminum lever version). https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_01.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/R0149_03.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/R0149_02.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_02.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_03.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
View Quote

Wow, this is a fantastic analysis. There are so many small details that I wouldn’t have noticed until I actually bought one and held it in-hand.

I’m tempted to purchase the Geissele because of the  DDC finish and based on the fact that I haven’t owned one yet.

It’s the same reason I’m leaning towards buying a Geissele G2S even though I know the LaRue is cheaper. Might as well experience something new that you know you is top-tier and won’t disappoint you at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you're going for lightweight, may I suggest that you look into an Inforce WML or WMLx for a light? If I can recall correctly, the WML weights less than three rounds of 9x19 115 grain ball.
View Quote

I have heard that the Inforce WMLs are not very powerful compared to Streamlight or Surefire. If I’m trying to save weight I will likely go with one of the smaller 600 lumen Surefire models or even the Streamlight TLR-1HL that comes with a pressure pad
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had all of those same decisions to make within the last year or so. Here’s how I’d upgrade in order:

Trigger - softer trigger makes first shots and follow up shots more accurate, very much so compared to a GI single stage. I went with the MBT-2S based on recommendations here and have no regrets.

Irons - once you have a smooth trigger, you’ll find the gun to be boringly accurate shooting 200 and in at stationary targets. Irons add a challenge back. I’ve stuck with the MBUS Pro front for the tool-less adjustable front elevation and the fine match front post option built in. For rears, I wanted the bullet drop functionality to match my ACSS scope (1000yd) and ACSS red dot (600yd). I’ve tried the MBUS Pro LR (600m), KAC 600m micro and LMT 700yd. I like the LMT the best (dual aperture, controls not too stiff to move without tools, yardage mark is viewable from either side of rifle). The other two rear sights are missing at least one of those features.

Charging Handle - I bought the Radian Raptor LT, because I was too cheap to pay for the metal one. As a lefty, I absolutely hate the GI charging handle and anything here is an upgrade regardless of brand.

Light - Unless you shoot at night, or realistically expect a defensive scenario, this is just a decoration compared to the others. I bought a HL-X and the Cloud Defensive switch mount. I loved the light but it was heavy (nagging support arm shoulder injury).  I just sold it to mount a far lighter Surefire X300U pistol light upside down in front of my irons Larry Vickers style. You could go with a cheaper pistol light, because Surefire prices are a gut punch, but I did it for their ambi switches.
View Quote

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree with your ranking for the most part. I’m highly leaning towards picking up a G2S trigger with a 10% coupon I’ve been  holding on in my back pocket. I heard it’s essentially the SSA Trigger for cheaper which sounds like a great deal to me.

Those new Magpul MBUS Gen. 3s that were announced look like an incredible deal but who knows when they will hit the market.

Because of that I’m going to wait until they release and likely buy the trigger and a charging handle in the meantime.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Geissele's latch is a separate piece (that has a leg that travels in a channel in the latch side lever) and is pinned in independently from the lever. The Raptor's latch is part of the lever (at least it is on the original aluminum lever version). https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_01.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/R0149_03.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/R0149_02.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_02.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/05-313S_03.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000
View Quote

Geissele also has the Government CH which is the Airborne CH but with the points rounded off, losing the half column of checkering at the outer edge of the ACH.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I have the Geissele G2S in most ARs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Radian and MBT is a great and affordable combination.
View Quote

absolutely!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I have both a radian lt and a regular.

The regular looks better.

Functionality is the same.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone ever use the Radian vented charging handles to stem the dreaded "Gas Face" with suppressors?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top