User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Forward Controls Design (Page 1 of 32)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 32
Posted: 12/6/2020 11:48:40 PM EDT
Hi everyone, lately I’ve noticed an uptick in people praising FCD and the bits they manufacture. I’m wondering if this praise is worth it. They seem to make very slick looking parts and charge a premium for them. They also have a spiffy logo, which seems to draw the AR crowd! Are they flavor of the month or the real deal?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
LRFs are being made every month
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply! Also wondering if the LRF is compatible with a Virtus upper, specifically if any of the controls interfere like LMTs? Any feedback on that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If it works on my SBR HDSI lower, it'll work on LRF

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duffy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/IMG_0588_jpeg-2427136.JPG
View Quote

That’s a dandy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd never run it that way, just testing parts compatibility while I wait for my Rattler lower form 1 to be approved.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Told myself I wasn’t going to go down this path but here I am.

Sionics NP3 carrier and Hodge 12.5 barrel. Everything else is FCD. Just waiting on KM muzzle device to come in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My KAC 14.5 upper is noticeably more wobbly on the FCDxSOLGW lower than others. Not a big deal, but certainly not super pleased about that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Upper and lower fit isn't a functional issue to be concerned about
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Are LPD/LCM on the schedule? I think it's been at least a year since I've seen them
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:25:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HyperMuteki] [#10]
Will any FCD complete uppers be back on the website? Or is it something I need to email Roger and discuss which exact parts (assuming the Hodge 12.5 is out of stock) I want. Are custom cerakote colors available? I really like that black HIR 2 paint that capable citizen has on their EPC.

I really would love an upper built by Trajectory Arms. Sending in parts would be more expensive
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
When our barrels are done and URF v3 becomes available, we can do more complete uppers.  Till then, Lander Salzberg has been putting together complete uppers with mostly FCD components
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#12]
When our barrels are done and URF v3 becomes available, we can do more complete uppers.  Till then, Lander Salzberg has been putting together complete uppers with mostly FCD components
View Quote

I just built out my upper with the v2. I may try the v3 when available. The v2 I got seems a little on the sloppy side. Hodge barrel to upper fitment was one of the loosest I’ve ever experienced. Even the index pin had a little wiggle. I’ve used Hodge barrels before, never experienced this…but it could have been a bad barrel extensions.

Maybe tighten up v3 just a tad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Well just received the last two (really this time) parts I wanted for my AR. After hunting for a while I finally found both instock at Rooftop Defense. Got the LSFA VS and the ABC/R non-biased HS. All I need now are the balls to install them. Not too worried about the LSFA, but removing the existing then installing the new bolt catch into a assembled lower gives me some serious pause. Any tips on this for a clean install on an assembled lower? Also, two pins came with LSFA and they appear to be different at least in color, I assumed one was a spare but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

The other two FCD parts on my AR include an MSQ-H and an RBF. Couldn't be happier with any of them, fit/finish is truly exceptional and material and design are equally well thought out. The little HDSI logo on the LSFA box was kinda cool to see, guess I officially can claim I 'get it' because I 'got it' now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The black pin is slightly stronger, the stainless steel pin is provided as a spare.
I wouldn't worry about marring anything, if you use the gun it'll get scratches.  Brownell's makes bolt catch specific punches but there are situations where even that's not enough to do it without scratching it.  Use masking tape to cover the area below where the punch will be used will help, I just use a piece of packing tape.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AlwaysCode:
Well just received the last two (really this time) parts I wanted for my AR. After hunting for a while I finally found both instock at Rooftop Defense. Got the LSFA VS and the ABC/R non-biased HS. All I need now are the balls to install them. Not too worried about the LSFA, but removing the existing then installing the new bolt catch into a assembled lower gives me some serious pause. Any tips on this for a clean install on an assembled lower? Also, two pins came with LSFA and they appear to be different at least in color, I assumed one was a spare but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

The other two FCD parts on my AR include an MSQ-H and an RBF. Couldn't be happier with any of them, fit/finish is truly exceptional and material and design are equally well thought out. The little HDSI logo on the LSFA box was kinda cool to see, guess I officially can claim I 'get it' because I 'got it' now.
View Quote

Make sure to work some oil in to the bolt catch roll pin first. I use masking tape on the receiver but I’ve still put a few dings on my lowers, as just about all of mine wear an ABC/R now.

My favorite tool for the job is the Obsidian Arms bolt catch tool kit. And an 8 oz ball peen hammer.

It’s no biggie. They come out pretty easy. Installing just remember to clean out the hole first and then re lube. Use roll pin starter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The black pin is slightly stronger, the stainless steel pin is provided as a spare.
I wouldn't worry about marring anything, if you use the gun it'll get scratches.  Brownell's makes bolt catch specific punches but there are situations where even that's not enough to do it without scratching it.  Use masking tape to cover the area below where the punch will be used will help, I just use a piece of packing tape.
View Quote

Black pin it is. Understand where you're coming from, but I'd rather not dig a punch into my lower if I can help it all the same. Painters tape..lots of painters tape.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Make sure to work some oil in to the bolt catch roll pin first. I use masking tape on the receiver but I’ve still put a few dings on my lowers, as just about all of mine wear an ABC/R now.

My favorite tool for the job is the Obsidian Arms bolt catch tool kit. And an 8 oz ball peen hammer.

It’s no biggie. They come out pretty easy. Installing just remember to clean out the hole first and then re lube. Use roll pin starter.
View Quote

I actually really like that Obsidian arms set, so much so that I just ordered one so thank you for the tip much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#18]

I actually really like that Obsidian arms set, so much so that I just ordered one so thank you for the tip much appreciated.
View Quote

No problem. If they are still around $15, it’s a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Any more progress on the 6315XE ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Prototypes were sent to heat treat and we should have them next week
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Rainier has LRF lowers back in stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Lots of roll pin tools out there including a couple on amazon. I like the one with the flat face and rubber coating. After getting the bolt catch pin in you'll wonder why you never spent the 7 bucks for one before.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHelper] [#24]
For the bolt catch pin, I use a set of cobra pliers and have one of these on the jaw protector that touches the receiver…

https://www.kctool.com/knipex-9k-58788-jaw-protectors-for-10-cobra-and-alligator-pliers/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6K-Q0JXK-AIVgz-tBh1KFwSyEAQYAyABEgIjtPD_BwE
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Saoirse:

Lots of roll pin tools out there including a couple on amazon. I like the one with the flat face and rubber coating. After getting the bolt catch pin in you'll wonder why you never spent the 7 bucks for one before.
View Quote

Rubber coating? What the purpose? Have a link?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saoirse:

I'm assuming it's the one by Wheeler Engineering that has rubber molded over the body of the tool to help prevent contact with the lower.  I have the set and it works well.  Started using a Kak Walt's Tool to start the pin and finish with a roll pin punch.  The Walt's Tool is longer and easier for me to use vs the Wheeler one.

https://www.kakindustry.com/walts-tool
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:01:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saoirse] [#27]

View Quote

These puppies will keep you from marring up your new FCD lowers. You'll probably laugh when you use it for how easy it is compared to trying to do it the hard way. Rubber coat plus flat side is really nice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLX25FN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#28]
@Duffy

Excited for this FCD and Geissele URG-I build.

Bought a bunch from you yesterday and Big Tex (1 of your dealers) to get everything. Hopefully it’ll get assembled on British Treason Day this 4th of July!

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
This may have been covered recently, but when will we see AR15 EMR buttons again? Everything out there is “H” models.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/IMG_0588_jpeg-2427136.JPG
View Quote

That looks cool, but the buttstock is like half the length of the gun

Ever consider one of these?

LWRCi ultra compact stock kit
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Nah, I'll use the lower that came with the Rattler once its form 1 comes back.  The Hodge lower belongs with the Hodge upper, handguard and barrel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Replaced the MOS plates (OEM) with OPF-G, DPP on my Glock 41 and OPF-G, RMR on my Glock 34 today. Have a DPP on the G41, and a SRO on the G34. Managed to bugger the head on one of the DPP optic-to-plate screws removing it, and had to go buy a multi-spline extractor and reverse-thread drill bit, but got it out fine.

Nice snug fit, much happier with how well it holds the optic before I even put the new screws back in.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#34]
@Duffy

You guys are the best. Lol.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:46:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HyperMuteki] [#35]
View Quote
URF v3? I guess my project FCD SBR is on hold. Any spoilers on the barrel manufacturer you're partnering with? HDSI?

I see another LRF sitting at Freedom for two days if anyone wants one. Maybe I'll go and see what the serial number is.

Sometimes I'll go in to browse when they open because sometimes really good shit gets put on display and the email will follow an hour after opening. That's how kac upper was released earlier this year and most recent one last month was online (boo). They are 5 minutes away so I am not wasting gas (my girlfriend disagrees) .
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:19:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#36]
V3 upper is still a few weeks or months away, it'll gradually replace v2

Freedom is good people
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlwaysCode] [#37]
@alpha0815

So the obsidian arms punch set came today and not only are the tools really nice but so are the guys over there. Saw they make a nice looking little delrin punch for the takedown pins but they don't sell it seperate. In the order comments I told them I wished they did because I would have bought one and said if they wanted to charge me extra and send one that would be fine. Well they didn't charge me, but they stuck one in a plastic bag with a smiley face drawn on it.

Super cool and I can't wait to get my ABC/R and LSFA installed this weekend. Need to stop by my dealer tomorrow to pick up my muzzle device and then Sunday gunday just in time to celebrate the 4th. Cool small companies who make nice freedom things and actually give a shit. America!
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#38]
6315XE (Dead Air Xeno mount) Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#39]
@alpha0815

So the obsidian arms punch set came today and not only are the tools really nice but so are the guys over there. Saw they make a nice looking little delrin punch for the takedown pins but they don't sell it seperate. In the order comments I told them I wished they did because I would have bought one and said if they wanted to charge me extra and send one that would be fine. Well they didn't charge me, but they stuck one in a plastic bag with a smiley face drawn on it.

Super cool and I can't wait to get my ABC/R and LSFA installed this weekend. Need to stop by my dealer tomorrow to pick up my muzzle device and then Sunday gunday just in time to celebrate the 4th. Cool small companies who make nice freedom things and actually give a shit. America!
View Quote

Awesome. Glad it worked out and yes, they are good people.  Do wish they sold more of their tools individually, but the kits really are worth it.

Post pics when complete.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I'm going to be needing one of those 6315XEs for Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#41]
6315XE (Dead Air Xeno mount) https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/IMG_0605_jpeg-2438107.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: George218] [#42]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#43]
6315XE (Dead Air Xeno mount) https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/IMG_0605_jpeg-2438107.JPG
View Quote

Drool!
Will they be offered on your site first? & time frame as to when we will be able to purchase one or 2 or 3?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#44]
We will have them on our site, as well as quack dealers, available in 1/2 x 28 and 5/8 x 24.  

It's been approved for production we expect release date in late July.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Will there be a 1215 xeno?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
1215XE remains an option, we'll see how 6315XE and 6310XE do first
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:55:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlwaysCode] [#48]
@Alpha0815

Well I probably won't be able to pick up the MD from my dealer until Tuesday, but got my ABC/R and LSFA installed today. Went super smooth, tools were great and everything is damage free.

If I had any advice for someone else doing this and wanting it to look factory clean, the Obsidian Arms punch kit was perfect and having the right tools makes a huge difference so use them. A drop of oil on the pins when removing and installing goes a long way. A little prep with some masking tape just in case. Maybe the most overlooked would be getting your lower/upper setup in a way that is stable, and comfortable to work from so you can drive the pins straight and not need 3 hands. Easy peasy.

FCD LSFA Serrated

FCD ABC/R v3 Non-Biased Serrated

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#49]
It’s about to be a good night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: basicAR] [#50]
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 1 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top