Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/23/2019 2:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus]
FEEL FREE TO POST MULTIPLE FIREARMS IN SEPARATE IMAGES, heck, you might have 4 or 5 GoTo AR's!
Lets see images and discuss our best AR's, the ones we trust 100%. Tell us why this particular AR rifle, sbr or pisol is your SHTF or DUTY GoTo.  If you're at all like me, you may be collecting a lot of different AR's.  This may be due to the current political climate, the rush of training or maybe simply because you think the AR is one of the best firearm designs ever conceived.  Personally, I could never own too many AR's and hope to continue to add to the collection.  That being said, I do have my favorites.  My GoTo, must haves.  

Mine is an LMT MRP.  At 14.5'', it is short enough to wield in confined spaces and also capable of making accurate shots out to 500yrds.  It is Night Vision ready, carries a good flashlight and is equipped with an illuminated 1-4 LPVO.  At 9.5 lbs with spare batteries, spare bolt parts and a bipod, I am comfortable carrying it with a sling for extended periods of time.  Most importantly, I have encountered very few failures and it is accurate.  I try to end most range days and training sessions with a minimum of one Mag fired from this rifle to maintain my familiarity and confidence with it.  I also have a spare 10.5'' barrel which I plan to run Suppressed.  I think the MRP platform is extremely durable and relatively accurate, especially when used in conjunction with an LMT Enhanced BCG.  There is a level of sacrifice in regards to weight, but in my opinion, the pros far out weigh the cons.  I may change to an M-LOK Upper in the near future to shave a few OZ's.
MANY CHANGES HAVE COME

I start with this KAC URX4 Mod 2 w/ E3 SR16 BCG

My Colt/Geissele 11-5 HRT.  This is my first choice, day or night, GoTo AR.

My GoTo Hunting/Truck Gun.  It's a 12-5 LMT in Caliber 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

I have that sling on one of my rifles and had to adjust it to get the slider as far down towards the rifle as I could for the same reason.  BTW nice rifle (as I stated in a different thread as well).

BCM SBR
BCM 300blk upper
T2 on Scalarworks
Protac on Arisaka/Cloud tape mount
Griffin minimalist brake
Griffin RECCE7
Magpul Pro irons

https://i.imgur.com/SjPYU8Gl.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

Thanks Brother, I have too.  It has turned exactly how I had hoped...Tons of pis of BA AR's and a lot of great information.  This thread has certainly changed the way I view My AR collection and how I set up My GoTo Rifle.  Higher Mounts and different sling set ups to name a few.

KEEP THOSE IMAGES ROLLING IN!

Really an awesome thread. Sling setup is definitely one thing I need to look at. I'm still on deployment (be home in a few weeks 🤘🏻) but when I was home on leave, my sling would get in the way of reloads a lot at the range. Need to figure that one out as, with the addition of a DBAL and dual switch on the top rail, I don't have a lot of real estate left on my rail

https://i.ibb.co/MBN6mdq/20200309-133035.jpg
(Don't think it's a dupe pic but sorry if it is)

I have that sling on one of my rifles and had to adjust it to get the slider as far down towards the rifle as I could for the same reason.  BTW nice rifle (as I stated in a different thread as well).

BCM SBR
BCM 300blk upper
T2 on Scalarworks
Protac on Arisaka/Cloud tape mount
Griffin minimalist brake
Griffin RECCE7
Magpul Pro irons

https://i.imgur.com/SjPYU8Gl.jpg

How is your barrel/light shadow with that set up
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dday_1944] [#2]
DELETE
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#3]
Originally Posted By dday_1944:
https://i.imgur.com/L7Y6a2W.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/nJyAQkM.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/LPB4ZMh.jpg

Noveske Lower (Duracoated Coyote) with Geissele internals, gas tube, and Geissele SDC trigger.
Geissele URGI near clone upper (14.5 pinned) with Geissele Reliability Enhanced BCG
Eotech EXPS 3-2 and G33
Magpul Pro Buis
Modlite PLHV2 l1350 light
Cloud Defense LCS
Geissele rail panels duracoated Coyote tan
Slate Black Industries Slate Stop duracoated Coyote tan
B5 pistol grip & stock
View Quote

@dday_1944  We have similar taste I see.  My URGI is in all FDE, but the .458 SOCOM is a nr=ear clone to Yours.  Hands down, its My favorite brush gun for Whitetail Deer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]

@dday_1944  We have similar taste I see.  My URGI is in all FDE, but the .458 SOCOM is a nr=ear clone to Yours.  Hands down, its My favorite brush gun for Whitetail Deer.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200417_151707-1372117.jpg
View Quote

NICE!

The URGI is my favorite! I actually have three ARs with that upper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#5]
View Quote

@1iviper
Very Nice Build!
@1iviper
Hey Brother, I did have one question about Your Build.  On My FBI HRT Clone. I initially had my Pressure switch in front of My D-BaL. But I actually had IR Laser interference due to the "Thumb Over Bore" grip.  I normally shoot thumb over bore, but even if I were attempting to avoid this interference,  as soon as I access My pressure pad, My grip is blocking the Laser Illuminator (or if i2 Vis. model) IR Laser.  How do You avoid this.  I was going to attempt using a riser, but just decided to go Fixed Front, push th D-BaL right to it, the Illumination Bezels wrap right around the FFS.  I have come to love this configuration.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That's actual perfection
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

@1iviper
Very Nice Build!
View All Quotes

@1iviper
Very Nice Build!

Yea, that’s nice
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks everyone , she's my favorite bullet thrower in the safe

this thread is full of some pretty awesome guns
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer mine without all the extra's other than Geissele trigger.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:

https://i.imgur.com/Emy3Vfj.jpg
View Quote

That’s sweet
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MeatGrinder:

https://i.imgur.com/Emy3Vfj.jpg
View Quote

Sweet looking retro. I do think there’s little cost (weight?) to the huge benefits on modern WML and sighting technology for a go-to rifle.

Again, love the look but can’t see a scenario where I wouldn’t want a light or red dot/LPV on my #1 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Sweet looking retro. I do think there’s little cost (weight?) to the huge benefits on modern WML and sighting technology for a go-to rifle.

Again, love the look but can’t see a scenario where I wouldn’t want a light or red dot/LPV on my #1 rifle.
View Quote

The dedicated iron sights I can certainly understand, but there is just no way I’d go without a light unless i had no choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]

NICE!

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200417_151707-1372117.jpg

NICE!

Yeah, Ihave 2.  It is amongst My favorites but, My LMT & KAC Uppers are a bit better, definitely the Kac Mod 2  URX4 w/ E3 Sandcutter BCG in 14-5 is a cut above My 14-5 URGI.  IMHO the Geissele URGIs need a BCG Upgrade out of the box.  The LMT Enhanced and KAC Sandcutter E3 BCGs are just in a different world altogether in terms of durability and reliability.  This isn't just My opinion, its been My experience.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, Ihave 2.  It is amongst My favorites but, My LMT & KAC Uppers are a bit better, definitely the Kac Mod 2  URX4 w/ E3 Sandcutter BCG in 14-5 is a cut above My 14-5 URGI.  IMHO the Geissele URGIs need a BCG Upgrade out of the box.  The LMT Enhanced and KAC Sandcutter E3 BCGs are just in a different world altogether in terms of durability and reliability.  This isn't just My opinion, its been My experience.
View Quote

I upgraded mine with the Geissele enhanced BCGs - much better!
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Short gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:20:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#16]

I upgraded mine with the Geissele enhanced BCGs - much better!
View Quote

Yes, I have a Geissele REBCG too, and I love that the Bolt is actually Cold Hammer Forged.  So it is better in terms of durability.  And, it does seem to hold lube and clean easily, but We will have to see how the Special Coating holds up in the coming years...

Mainly, I really wish Geissele had utilized a Completely Supported Breech Face and a Dual Springed Extractor(lobster tail extractor) in the actual Bolt.
If Geissele had built a 100% contact Breech Face, Cold Hammer Forged Bolt with a Lobster Tail Extractor, I believe They would have produced the Best Bolt ever made, bar none... It just really bothers Me that there are MUCH BETTER Bolts in terms of Extraction and Accuracy due to Breech Face and Extractor design changes that seemingly could have been applied to the Geissele REBCG, but, they just weren't...???...

Someone may be able to correct Me, but I do not believe there is another CHF AR-15 Bolt on the market.  Cold Hammer Forging Their Bolt should insure previously unseen round counts, double or triple that of any currently produced milled Bolt's.  So, Geissele built the most indestructible Bolt on the market, but made no attempt to enhance Accuracy or Extraction Reliability when it seems to Me, They could have.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:57:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FONTY] [#17]

Yes, I have a Geissele REBCG too, and I love that the Bolt is actually Cold Hammer Forged.  So it is better in terms of durability.  And, it does seem to hold lube and clean easily, but We will have to see how the Special Coating holds up in the coming years...

Mainly, I really wish Geissele had utilized a Completely Supported Breech Face and a Dual Springed Extractor(lobster tail extractor) in the actual Bolt.
If Geissele had built a 100% contact Breech Face, Cold Hammer Forged Bolt with a Lobster Tail Extractor, I believe They would have produced the Best Bolt ever made, bar none... It just really bothers Me that there are MUCH BETTER Bolts in terms of Extraction and Accuracy due to Breech Face and Extractor design changes that seemingly could have been applied to the Geissele REBCG, but, they just weren't...???...

Someone may be able to correct Me, but I do not believe there is another CHF AR-15 Bolt on the market.  Cold Hammer Forging Their Bolt should insure previously unseen round counts, double or triple that of any currently produced milled Bolt's.  So, Geissele built the most indestructible Bolt on the market, but made no attempt to enhance Accuracy or Extraction Reliability when it seems to Me, They could have.  

View Quote

So your saying the Geissele bolt is the most indestructible bolt on the market because it’s CHF. I’d have to disagree with you on that, it hasn’t been on the market long enough or proven to make the assumption. I’ll stick with LMT’s Enhanced bolt’s & Kac’s E3 bolt’s as being the most indestructible bolts on the market by far.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#18]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

So your saying the Geissele bolt is the most indestructible bolt on the market because it’s CHF. I’d have to disagree with you on that, it hasn’t been on the market long enough or proven to make the assumption. I’ll stick with LMT’s Enhanced bolt & Kac’s E3 bolt as being the most indestructible bolts on the market by far.
View Quote

I love the process of the Geissele bolt and hopefully it is as good as Bill claims and I agree they should of did something with the lugs, extractor, and made the face go completely around but I would definitely have to wait for a couple years to really put it in the lmt kac level of durability.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye_Doc_Holiday] [#19]
Originally Posted By Bullseye_Doc_Holiday:
The one with the Aimpoint PRO is mine: DD SBR lower, Colt 14.5” SOCOM barrel, Magpul furniture, Surefire G2X TAC in IWC mount.  VCAS Sling.  Also usually wears an AAC M4-2000.  It does the work.  The other 2 are sequential SN 6920’s decked out similarly (minus optic and light) for my boys when they turn 18 in a decade or so.

https://i.imgur.com/YtZ8PO3.jpg
View Quote

As mentioned above, I had that 14.5" upper with the Magpul handguards on my DD SBR lower.  Last May I made some decisions financially, time wise, etc and sold off pretty much everything that wasn't NFA or heirloom other than a single Glock 19 and some spare parts (Colt SOCOM barrel and BCG).  That upper was what I put together once the world started going crazy and I thought I might want more than a G19.  As I used it, though, I found it to be long and unwieldy with the can attached.  I bought my SBR for a reason, you know?  So, I dug deep in all my parts bins and sold every little thing I could come up with: holsters, buffers, a bunch of little $25 items and scraped up $1,3000 or so to put this upper together and get back with a setup that is one I've run for years and put tons of rounds through in training.  Feels good to be home again.  100% confidence here!

Here's the full spec sheet for this build:
Lower:
Daniel Defense Form 4 SBR
Magpul CTR stock with enhanced pad
Factory H buffer with additional H weight to make "H2."
Colt carbine action spring
Geissele SD-E trigger
BCM Mod 1 grip
Geissele bolt catch

Upper:
BCM blem upper (wow that barrel/receiver fit is TIGHT)
Colt factory 10.3" M4 profile barrel (FSB shaved by yours truly)
Geissele 9.5" MK 4 MLOK rail, DDC
Colt FA BCG
BCM Mod 4 charging handle

Accessories:
AAC M4-2000 suppressor with 51-T Blackout Flashhider
Surefire X300U in tan
Daniel Defense fixed front sight
Magpul MBUS PRO rear sight
Aimpoint T1 4MOA in OG Daniel Defense 1pc lower 1/3 mount
Blue Force Gear VCAS sling in tan with QD swivels and 2 to 1 conversion

I was fortunate to hit the range Saturday and get it zeroed at 100 with my preferred 62 grain Gold Dot load.  Who says you can't shoot tighter than 4moa with a 4moa optic???
https://i.imgur.com/nUNPB5ul.png

Then I ran a few hundred through it to make sure it runs well. 100% performance as expected across a multitude of exercises.  Here's the last stage of the VTAC half and half.  I ghosted the trigger on the first press and only fired 9...oops.

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/B_I9mYopGYz/[/video]

And here she is in all her photogenic glory.  "Just right."

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlasherMcGee] [#20]
Attachment Attached File

Daniel Defense V7
Surefire m600 w/ Arisaka mount
TA31F Acog w/Green Chevron and RMR type 2 RDS
A.R.M.S Acog LD mount
Magpul sling
B5 Sopmod stock
Magpul SL grip
BCM foregrip
Geissele CH
Surefire RC2 suppressor w/Warcomp muzzle
Magpul Pro BUIS
Geissele G2S trigger
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SlasherMcGee:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/478387/20200420_193441_jpg-1378029.JPG

Daniel Defense V7
A.R.M.S Acog LD mount
Magpul sling
B5 Sopmod stock
Magpul SL grip
BCM foregrip
Geissele CH
Magpul Pro BUIS
Geissele G2S trigger
View Quote

Really Like your Setup, going to build a Piston 6.8 SPC around a DD MFR XL Rail System I got on the way along with waiting on the Bolt, and Barrel to get here. What's your opinion on the Rail, good, bad, meh? Been looking for a good review, and haven't found many.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:48:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#22]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

So your saying the Geissele bolt is the most indestructible bolt on the market because it’s CHF. I’d have to disagree with you on that, it hasn’t been on the market long enough or proven to make the assumption. I’ll stick with LMT’s Enhanced bolt’s & Kac’s E3 bolt’s as being the most indestructible bolts on the market by far.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236598/FFC21B74-2AC5-4014-A45D-C4C8931A7F37_jpe-1377464.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, @FONTY , No.
So, firstly I want to state clearly, My GoTo BCG is an Enhanced LMT,  I have not had any failures I can remember and I have 3 Enhanced LMTs and 2 of whatever their AR10 BCG is(REALLY GOOD).  Both of My KAC's have E3 Sandcutter BCG's, can't remember any failures coming from either.  
What I am saying about Geissele's REBCG is that the Bolt is CHF'd.  Geissele has done extensive destructive and non destructive testing on the REBCG and last I knew They had just under 100,000 rounds on ONE BOLT, last I checked, could be over that number by now, IDK.  I have never heard of ANY OTHER Bolt or BCG that has gone even half that round count without Major Failures having occurred, ie Broken Bolt Lugs, breakage at the Cam Pin Hole. I am a huge Geissele fan, I'm not a huge REBCG fan.  But, Metallurgy in general has shown, CHF Steel is more durable than Milled and Heat Treated Steel, especially in terms of Compression Resistance (Deformation due to Compression), not so much in terms of Tensile Strength but...
That is almost all.  YOUR STATEMENT THAT THE REBCG HAS NOT BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW; That really is not pertinent to whether or not Cold Hammer Forging produces more durable parts.  CHF'd Parts have been around a LONG FN TIME.  I'm confident something like a Trenion or Bolt is "better" if Cold Hammer Forged rather than Milled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:02:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#24]

As mentioned above, I had that 14.5" upper with the Magpul handguards on my DD SBR lower.  Last May I made some decisions financially, time wise, etc and sold off pretty much everything that wasn't NFA or heirloom other than a single Glock 19 and some spare parts (Colt SOCOM barrel and BCG).  That upper was what I put together once the world started going crazy and I thought I might want more than a G19.  As I used it, though, I found it to be long and unwieldy with the can attached.  I bought my SBR for a reason, you know?  So, I dug deep in all my parts bins and sold every little thing I could come up with: holsters, buffers, a bunch of little $25 items and scraped up $1,3000 or so to put this upper together and get back with a setup that is one I've run for years and put tons of rounds through in training.  Feels good to be home again.  100% confidence here!

Lower:
Geissele SD-E trigger
BCM Mod 1 grip
Geissele bolt catch

Upper:
Colt FA BCG

Accessories:
Surefire X300U in tan

I was fortunate to hit the range Saturday and get it zeroed at 100 with my preferred 62 grain Gold Dot load.  Who says you can't shoot tighter than 4moa with a 4moa optic???

Then I ran a few hundred through it to make sure it runs well. 100% performance as expected across a multitude of exercises.  Here's the last stage of the VTAC half and half.  I ghosted the trigger on the first press and only fired 9...oops.

https://i.imgur.com/Yf4viFWl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Hbg3nJal.jpg
View All Quotes
The one with the Aimpoint PRO is mine: DD SBR lower, Colt 14.5” SOCOM barrel, Magpul furniture, Surefire G2X TAC in IWC mount.  VCAS Sling.  Also usually wears an AAC M4-2000.  It does the work.  The other 2 are sequential SN 6920’s decked out similarly (minus optic and light) for my boys when they turn 18 in a decade or so.

https://i.imgur.com/YtZ8PO3.jpg

Lower:
Geissele SD-E trigger
BCM Mod 1 grip
Geissele bolt catch

Upper:
Colt FA BCG

Accessories:
Surefire X300U in tan

https://i.imgur.com/Yf4viFWl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Hbg3nJal.jpg

@Bullseye_Doc_Holiday
Aren't those BCM Blems the best thing going?  I have 2 on Builds, had to heat the Receiver Threads with Hair Dryer to install 2 different W C Barrels, I need to buy a few more just to have around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:05:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#25]
I have another Thread to check out.  If You get busy instead of bored in social isolation, it might turn out cool.

COVID 19 Spare Parts Build Challenge
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#26]

@Bullseye_Doc_Holiday
Aren't those BCM Blems the best thing going?  I have 2 on Builds, had to heat the Receiver Threads with Hair Dryer to install 2 different W C Barrels, I need to buy a few more just to have around.
View Quote

Yep! Very much dig them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SlasherMcGee] [#27]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

Really Like your Setup, going to build a Piston 6.8 SPC around a DD MFR XL Rail System I got on the way along with waiting on the Bolt, and Barrel to get here. What's your opinion on the Rail, good, bad, meh? Been looking for a good review, and haven't found many.
View All Quotes

Daniel Defense V7
A.R.M.S Acog LD mount
Magpul sling
B5 Sopmod stock
Magpul SL grip
BCM foregrip
Geissele CH
Magpul Pro BUIS
Geissele G2S trigger

Well, what's ironic is that the reason I bought the rifle was that the rail felt perfect in my hand. It's slim and smooth and just felt "right". But the more I shoot over the years, the more I realize I prefer a foregrip, which takes most of my hand off the rail anyway...

Having said that, I still really enjoy the rail/rifle. The 3 o'clock slots are perfect for my pressure pad location in relation to my thumb:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#28]

@1iviper
Very Nice Build!
@1iviper
Hey Brother, I did have one question about Your Build.  On My FBI HRT Clone. I initially had my Pressure switch in front of My D-BaL. But I actually had IR Laser interference due to the "Thumb Over Bore" grip.  I normally shoot thumb over bore, but even if I were attempting to avoid this interference,  as soon as I access My pressure pad, My grip is blocking the Laser Illuminator (or if i2 Vis. model) IR Laser.  How do You avoid this.  I was going to attempt using a riser, but just decided to go Fixed Front, push th D-BaL right to it, the Illumination Bezels wrap right around the FFS.  I have come to love this configuration.
View Quote
the pressure pad in front of the dbal is for the scout light only , the pressure pad for the dbal is at the front of the rail at about the 8 o'clock position

i generally shoot thumb over bore also but if i'm using the illuminator on the dbal i just move my thumb to the 9 o'clock position , i actually put a thumbrest there to index off of.  even if i keep a thumb over bore hold my thumb is only shadowing the 9 o'clock of the illuminator as the lasers are on the right side of the dbal.  if i'm using the scout for ir then i'm just using the laser on the dbal so no interference with a thumb over hold.  generally the light on the gun is for white light and if i need more ir illumination than the dbal i have a scout helmet mounted also.  i know this goes against the current train of thought but it's how i've run that gun for years and it's just second nature to me now.  

i did put together another night gun a little while back with the laser pushed all the way forward and i like that setup also , 6" barrel dsr in 300 blk

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Well, what's ironic is that the reason I bought the rifle was that the rail felt perfect in my hand. It's slim and smooth and just felt "right". But the more I shoot over the years, the more I realize I prefer a foregrip, which takes most of my hand off the rail anyway...

Having said that, I still really enjoy the rail/rifle. The 3 o'clock slots are perfect for my pressure pad location in relation to my thumb:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/478387/v7_jpg-1378771.JPG
View All Quotes

Daniel Defense V7
A.R.M.S Acog LD mount
Magpul sling
B5 Sopmod stock
Magpul SL grip
BCM foregrip
Geissele CH
Magpul Pro BUIS
Geissele G2S trigger

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/478387/v7_jpg-1378771.JPG

Thats a good looking setup!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Great shooter...very soft shooting.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Bumping an epic thread
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Yeah, @FONTY , No.
So, firstly I want to state clearly, My GoTo BCG is an Enhanced LMT,  I have not had any failures I can remember and I have 3 Enhanced LMTs and 2 of whatever their AR10 BCG is(REALLY GOOD).  Both of My KAC's have E3 Sandcutter BCG's, can't remember any failures coming from either.  
What I am saying about Geissele's REBCG is that the Bolt is CHF'd.  Geissele has done extensive destructive and non destructive testing on the REBCG and last I knew They had just under 100,000 rounds on ONE BOLT, last I checked, could be over that number by now, IDK.  I have never heard of ANY OTHER Bolt or BCG that has gone even half that round count without Major Failures having occurred, ie Broken Bolt Lugs, breakage at the Cam Pin Hole. I am a huge Geissele fan, I'm not a huge REBCG fan.  But, Metallurgy in general has shown, CHF Steel is more durable than Milled and Heat Treated Steel, especially in terms of Compression Resistance (Deformation due to Compression), not so much in terms of Tensile Strength but...
That is almost all.  YOUR STATEMENT THAT THE REBCG HAS NOT BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW; That really is not pertinent to whether or not Cold Hammer Forging produces more durable parts.  CHF'd Parts have been around a LONG FN TIME.  I'm confident something like a Trenion or Bolt is "better" if Cold Hammer Forged rather than Milled.
View Quote

@M-4matus

Travis Haley had over 80K on a KAC E3 with original bolt and barrel last I heard, about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

@M-4matus

Travis Haley had over 80K on a KAC E3 with original bolt and barrel last I heard, about 3 years ago.
View Quote

@oldbrowndog
Awesome, glad I bought into 2 KAC E3 Uppers!  Also thanks for posting the info, if You can get a link please post it.  I still think LMT has some Voodoo Magic going on with Their Carrier Porting.  It just feels, at least to Me, like they shoot softer.  As I said previously, I can not remember a single failure from any of My KAC E3 or LMT MRP w/ Enhanced BCG Uppers.  So they are both great in My book.  I have always swapped out My E3 Stock Carriers to KAC Sandcutter Carriers, so I don't have any experience w/ KACs "Mil Spec" Carriers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
the pressure pad in front of the dbal is for the scout light only , the pressure pad for the dbal is at the front of the rail at about the 8 o'clock position
https://i.postimg.cc/J49DPzJr/20180313-171221.jpg

i generally shoot thumb over bore also but if i'm using the illuminator on the dbal i just move my thumb to the 9 o'clock position , i actually put a thumbrest there to index off of.  even if i keep a thumb over bore hold my thumb is only shadowing the 9 o'clock of the illuminator as the lasers are on the right side of the dbal.  if i'm using the scout for ir then i'm just using the laser on the dbal so no interference with a thumb over hold.  generally the light on the gun is for white light and if i need more ir illumination than the dbal i have a scout helmet mounted also.  i know this goes against the current train of thought but it's how i've run that gun for years and it's just second nature to me now.  

i did put together another night gun a little while back with the laser pushed all the way forward and i like that setup also , 6" barrel dsr in 300 blk
https://i.postimg.cc/26MD0mMj/20190816-164756.jpg
View Quote

Very Nice!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Huh, interesting.  I had mine behind an MRO and I saw 2 distinctive dots.  It is a lot better behind an Eotech.
View All Quotes
The magnifier actually corrects my astigmatism

Huh, interesting.  I had mine behind an MRO and I saw 2 distinctive dots.  It is a lot better behind an Eotech.

Proof everyones eyes are different cause I can't get used to EoTechs but now own 3 aimpoints

Also, placeholder for pics if the weather ever straightens out. I got a well used Block 1.something clone thats had a busy life as well as a few other toys
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cdm1985:
https://i.imgur.com/lDOghnb.jpg
View Quote

@Cdm1985
Good curb appeal, Who did the anodizing?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texsylvanian] [#38]
My guns are in a bit of a transition at the moment.  My wife and I have been in the middle of moving and a lot of my stuff is in storage.  I basically have a  dedicated suppressed HD AR pistol and a do-everything AR pistol that is my traveling companion.  I also have a SHTF SBR.  

I suspect this thread will continue to go on for a long time.  Meant to post here for a while.  Because I have been making some changes to those guns and can’t finish them until the move is complete, I submit my work/duty rifle as a placeholder:

ETA: BCM 11.5 MCMR upper
Colt FA lower
Aimpoint PRO
milspec trigger so broken in it feels custom
A2 FH with muzzle cap
Surefire M300 Scout with DS-SR07
BCM stock
BCM Mod 3 grip
BCM Gunfighter CH
Proctor sling
Troy BUIS

I suppose it still meets the rules.  It is definitely my “go to” when I am at work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Build list:

LMT Lower / Upper / BCG
DD 10.3 / MK18 rail
SF Warcomp
SF Mini Scout (Not pictured)
Larue MBT2S Trigger
BCM Buffer tube / end plate / H2 buffer
Troy Rear buis
MI front buis
Tango Down grip
Magpul CTR
TD Stubby vfg (Not Pictured)
Surefire SOCOM can still in NFA Jail.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ChevOBSZ:
https://i.imgur.com/1zOi8Ph.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8Ak8ZYe.jpg

Build list:

LMT Lower / Upper / BCG
DD 10.3 / MK18 rail
SF Warcomp
SF Mini Scout (Not pictured)
Larue MBT2S Trigger
BCM Buffer tube / end plate / H2 buffer
Troy Rear buis
MI front buis
Tango Down grip
Magpul CTR
TD Stubby vfg (Not Pictured)
Surefire SOCOM can still in NFA Jail.

View Quote

@ChevOBSZ

I feel your pain.  I made the jump and purchased my surefire can yesterday.  So with backorder I will consider myself fortunate to take possession of it in a year.  I am fully prepared for it to take longer.

Also, my SBR is also LMT upper/lower to hooray for that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By EVR:

I didn't post very well earlier.  I didn't mean to disparage your post at all!!  

Yours just got me thinking about the old Challenge.  I started the SHTF/3 MOA Challenge years ago and that one went on for a few years and it was interesting as we tried to get crossover from the MOA All Day Challenge which was a good one also, but few of those showed up in the SHTF/3 MOA Challenge.

As a matter of fact, I'm actually working on a new idea for a new Challenge which will be even simpler and I think might turn out to be pretty popular.  We just finished our hunting seasons so I'll be back on my range running some tests hopefully this weekend and when I get the details ironed out I'll post it up and see if anyone wants to join in on the fun.  

Stay tuned!  
View Quote

@EVR

I know I am replying to an old ass post but I would love for you to launch this challenge anew.  The non-MOA challenge, that is.  I would want to get on board with a part two.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It just really bothers Me that there are MUCH BETTER Bolts in terms of Extraction and Accuracy due to Breech Face and Extractor design changes that seemingly could have been applied to the Geissele REBCG, but, they just weren't...???...
View All Quotes
It just really bothers Me that there are MUCH BETTER Bolts in terms of Extraction and Accuracy due to Breech Face and Extractor design changes that seemingly could have been applied to the Geissele REBCG, but, they just weren't...???...

They couldnt without being granted license by and paying royalties to LMT which holds patent on those and other improvements to the bolt design.

Someone may be able to correct Me, but I do not believe there is another CHF AR-15 Bolt on the market.

Maybe not availible on the U.S. market but Schmeisser of Germany has manufactured CHF AR bolts that pre date gieselle. Equally as critical as process (CHF in this case) is material selection. In other words LMT's Aermet bolt, while not CHF may actually be more durable due to superior material composition. I agree with others, geiselle's bolt is far from proven. In all the years both LMT and KAC's enhanced bolts have been availible there are literally none (as in zero) reports of breakage other than in destructive testing at the factory (proof rounds on full auto? Lol).

geiselle's coating is suspect as well; there is nearly no innovation that comes from the firearms industry, nearly everything in the firearms industry is pre existing technology most commonly originating in the automotive and tooling industries but with a huge mark up applied. From ceramic epoxy coatings (cerakote) to pigment additives in clear coat ("gun candy") to NiB, TiN, DLC, PVD, nitride etc. this is all old news in the automotive and tooling industries and have been used for many years and even decades in some cases. There is nothing special about them other than being rebranded and marked up 100's of times over what the very same processes cost when marketed towards other industries.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#43]
Originally Posted By Veprz:

They couldnt without being granted license by and paying royalties to LMT which holds patent on those and other improvements to the bolt design.

Maybe not availible on the U.S. market but Schmeisser of Germany has manufactured CHF AR bolts that pre date gieselle. Equally as critical as process (CHF in this case) is material selection. In other words LMT's Aermet bolt, while not CHF may actually be more durable due to superior material composition. I agree with others, geiselle's bolt is far from proven. In all the years both LMT and KAC's enhanced bolts have been availible there are literally none (as in zero) reports of breakage other than in destructive testing at the factory (proof rounds on full auto? Lol).

geiselle's coating is suspect as well; there is nearly no innovation that comes from the firearms industry, nearly everything in the firearms industry is pre existing technology most commonly originating in the automotive and tooling industries but with a huge mark up applied. From ceramic epoxy coatings (cerakote) to pigment additives in clear coat ("gun candy") to NiB, TiN, DLC, PVD, nitride etc. this is all old news in the automotive and tooling industries and have been used for many years and even decades in some cases. There is nothing special about them other than being rebranded and marked up 100's of times over what the very same processes cost when marketed towards other industries.
View Quote

Yes, I agree with most everything you said.  I think Geissele should have done just that and Licensed rights to the LMT Enhanced Bolt(although, I do not know of another single company that has done nayofthe LMT enhancements to Bolts, the exception being the Lobster Tail Extractors, which many companies do utilize).  This I find interesting as in the U.S., patent rights only last 15 years, then all companies must either offer License Agreements or it open to be copied as long as it is sold under the Manufacturer's name and not branded and sold as an LMT Bolt.  THAT IS OF COURSE UNLESS YOU LIVE IN CHINA, then you can just copy anything that might generate any tax revenues whatsoever, Patent Rights...Ahh yes, what is patent???  LMAO  
And, I do understand, certain alloy steel compositions may well be very strong(stronger than some CHF parts).  I know the LMT Enhanced Bolt is designed to be extremely durable and that the many relief cuts are meant to capitalize on this, mainly via harmonic dampening of stress points.   That being said, that is exactly what the CHF process does, aligns individual metal crystals in a uniform manner as to increase the area of which shock is distributed throughout any given part.

Also, the coating is certainly not proven.  I do know they did test and refine it for 3 years, and having experience with Geissele, I am inclined to believe it just might hold up.  Am I running a REBCG in My Duty Rifle?  No. But I am running them.  I'm inclined to believe the Geissele REBCG might end up a success, I know My LMT Enhanced BCG is a success.  Suppressed, unsuppressed, dirty, clean, they just run.  As for the KAC E3.  I am of the opinion it has a narrower tolerance than the LMT by a small margin and have noticed it stick in Barrel Extensions when dirty.  I have not seen this cause any failures as of yet, but this fact does cause Me to lean more in favor of the LMT Enhanced.

If you can get a link to a U.S. source for the German made Bolts You were referring to I'd like to give one a try.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Texsylvanian:
My guns are in a bit of a transition at the moment.  My wife and I have been in the middle of moving and a lot of my stuff is in storage.  I basically have a  dedicated suppressed HD AR pistol and a do-everything AR pistol that is my traveling companion.  I also have a SHTF SBR.  

I suspect this thread will continue to go on for a long time.  Meant to post here for a while.  Because I have been making some changes to those guns and can’t finish them until the move is complete, I submit my work/duty rifle as a placeholder:

https://i.imgur.com/8wqbUu1.jpg

ETA: BCM 11.5 MCMR upper
Colt FA lower
Aimpoint PRO
milspec trigger so broken in it feels custom
A2 FH with muzzle cap
Surefire M300 Scout with DS-SR07
BCM stock
BCM Mod 3 grip
BCM Gunfighter CH
Proctor sling
Troy BUIS

I suppose it still meets the rules.  It is definitely my “go to” when I am at work.
View Quote

@Texsylvanian
Cant wait to see Your other Builds.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texsylvanian] [#45]

@Texsylvanian
Cant wait to see Your other Builds.  Thanks for posting.
View Quote

@M-4matus ,
Lived in Maine for a couple years for work.  Northwest in Jackman.  I miss Maine every day of my life.  Texas is awesome and I love it here.  Best state in the union in many categories.  But even as a native Pennsylvanian (shout out to all you Keith Stones out there) and a proud Texas transplant... I think my heart will belong to Maine forever.

Taking a Kyle Defoor rifle class in August in Bangor.  It will be my first private sector training that I have taken that isn’t at CSAT.  I can’t wait.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#46]
-11.5" BCM BHF upper.
-PSA sbr lower with BCM lower parts kit.
-PA Cyclops
-Inforce wml (will probably be replaced with an M300 Scout I just ordered)
-MFT Minimalist stock
-YHM TurboK
-Loaded with MK318

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:00:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Texsylvanian] [#47]
So what are the rules for this to be the “official” go to rifle thread?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#48]
Originally Posted By Texsylvanian:
So what are the rules for this to be the “official” go to rifle thread?

View Quote

@Texsylvanian
Well, this Thread isn't actually an "Official ARF.COM" Thread.  I just started a GoTo Thread and Members liked it. I believe to be an Official Thread, A Mod or Vendor has to be the Original Creator.

Basically, just post images of Your best and most trusted GoTo AR's.  There can be more than one and they can be accompanied by descriptions.  MAINLY, WE JUST WANT TO SEE IMAGES OF AWESOME GUNS.  And at times bicker about who's is bigger...lol.  You can also ask questions about specific parts or configurations when You see a Member post something You like- THIS I BELIEVE, HAS BEEN THE MOST BENEFICIAL ASPECT OF THIS THREAD.  I have learned about different parts and configurations seen in images and have actually made changes to My own AR's.

For example-  I have a 14-5'' KAC RECCE Rifle, an 11-5'' FBI HRT/ AR Pistol and a 12-5'' LMT Night Vision Setup in 6.8 SPC posted currently.  I changed the Optic Mounts on the AR Pistol and NV Setup  after seeing the UNITY Mounts in this Thread.   The point is that all three AR's that I 'posted are "best in class" so to speak, of the AR's I own and trust with My life.  Also, due to what I have learned in this Thread, they have been made more efficient.  The three AR's I posted cover all My needs in an AR Platform for the specific situations I would expect to find Myself in.  I personally do not think one AR is going to cover My needs, thus, 3 AR's posted.  Take care, have fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:26:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#49]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
-11.5" BCM BHF upper.
-PSA sbr lower with BCM lower parts kit.
-PA Cyclops
-Inforce wml (will probably be replaced with an M300 Scout I just ordered)
-MFT Minimalist stock
-YHM TurboK
-Loaded with MK318

https://i.imgur.com/sFEQiAU.jpg
View Quote

@swampvol
Brother, I just got extremely excited to see those Stay Towers on Your Lower!  WHERE CAN I GET ONE? The Cooper River Bridge Project was My first job after High School(I was an Ironworker on a Connecting Crew) and My Father was the Superintendent for the actual Towers.  I HAVE TO GIVE MY FATHER A NEW BUILD WITH ONE OF THESE LOWERS  

Man, I spent 70 hours a week on a Barge acting as a Crane Operators Bitch for the first year, I was 18.  They let Me climb on My 19th Birthday.  Seeing that Lower brought back a lot of memories, mostly good.  I did see a man on the Deck Pan Crew fall, unfortunately He didn't make it.  I think seeing that on My first Job kept Me alive for the remainder of My Ironworking Career, I ALWAYS STAYED TIED OFF AFTER SEEING THAT.

Being from SC, You probably know that was the first Cable Stay Bridge in North America and the Second built in the World.  Heck, now Cable Stay Bridges are everywhere.  Anyway, if You can get Me a link to buy one of those Lowers, Please do.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:47:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#50]

@swampvol
Brother, I just got extremely excited to see those Stay Towers on Your Lower!  WHERE CAN I GET ONE? The Cooper River Bridge Project was My first job after High School(I was an Ironworker on a Connecting Crew) and My Father was the Superintendent for the actual Towers.  I HAVE TO GIVE MY FATHER A NEW BUILD WITH ONE OF THESE LOWERS  

Man, I spent 70 hours a week on a Barge acting as a Crane Operators Bitch for the first year, I was 18.  They let Me climb on My 19th Birthday.  Seeing that Lower brought back a lot of memories, mostly good.  I did see a man on the Deck Pan Crew fall, unfortunately He didn't make it.  I think seeing that on My first Job kept Me alive for the remainder of My Ironworking Career, I ALWAYS STAYED TIED OFF AFTER SEEING THAT.

Being from SC, You probably know that was the first Cable Stay Bridge in North America and the Second built in the World.  Heck, now Cable Stay Bridges are everywhere.  Anyway, if You can get Me a link to buy one of those Lowers, Please do.  Thanks.
View Quote

@M-4matus

It is a PSA stripped lower that I picked up in their Mt. Pleasant store last year. As soon as they open back up, I'll see if they still have some and let you know.

Actually, Josiah (PSA rep here) may be able to check the availability for you now. I believe he use to work at the Mt. Pleasant store.  @Palmettostatearmory

One of my former employees was an electrician on the bridge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top