Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/23/2019 2:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus]
FEEL FREE TO POST MULTIPLE FIREARMS IN SEPARATE IMAGES, heck, you might have 4 or 5 GoTo AR's!
Lets see images and discuss our best AR's, the ones we trust 100%. Tell us why this particular AR rifle, sbr or pisol is your SHTF or DUTY GoTo.  If you're at all like me, you may be collecting a lot of different AR's.  This may be due to the current political climate, the rush of training or maybe simply because you think the AR is one of the best firearm designs ever conceived.  Personally, I could never own too many AR's and hope to continue to add to the collection.  That being said, I do have my favorites.  My GoTo, must haves.  

Mine is an LMT MRP.  At 14.5'', it is short enough to wield in confined spaces and also capable of making accurate shots out to 500yrds.  It is Night Vision ready, carries a good flashlight and is equipped with an illuminated 1-4 LPVO.  At 9.5 lbs with spare batteries, spare bolt parts and a bipod, I am comfortable carrying it with a sling for extended periods of time.  Most importantly, I have encountered very few failures and it is accurate.  I try to end most range days and training sessions with a minimum of one Mag fired from this rifle to maintain my familiarity and confidence with it.  I also have a spare 10.5'' barrel which I plan to run Suppressed.  I think the MRP platform is extremely durable and relatively accurate, especially when used in conjunction with an LMT Enhanced BCG.  There is a level of sacrifice in regards to weight, but in my opinion, the pros far out weigh the cons.  I may change to an M-LOK Upper in the near future to shave a few OZ's.
MANY CHANGES HAVE COME

I start with this KAC URX4 Mod 2 w/ E3 SR16 BCG

My Colt/Geissele 11-5 HRT.  This is my first choice, day or night, GoTo AR.

My GoTo Hunting/Truck Gun.  It's a 12-5 LMT in Caliber 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm loving all the people rockin CAR stocks in this thread.

Either of these would be my "go to" (VTAC slings removed for storage)
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mblades:

https://i.imgur.com/xOEQgkC.jpg
View Quote

I like the diopter sights on the bottom rifle. Hows the sight picture?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye_Doc_Holiday] [#3]
The one with the Aimpoint PRO is mine: DD SBR lower, Colt 14.5” SOCOM barrel, Magpul furniture, Surefire G2X TAC in IWC mount.  VCAS Sling.  Also usually wears an AAC M4-2000.  It does the work.  The other 2 are sequential SN 6920’s decked out similarly (minus optic and light) for my boys when they turn 18 in a decade or so.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/xOEQgkC.jpg

I really like the HK sights. I swapped the rear drum from the 416 version to one from a G3. The 416 was correct for the barrel length and sight radius but I found I prefer the open V of the G3 on the 100m setting. The aim point and front sight make for a great improvised ghost ring if the dot isn’t visible from being on the wrong setting or washed out from the light or whatever. I feel like I’m able to pick the dot up faster with the fixed front sight too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Wth do you do for a living forest?!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]

I really like the HK sights. I swapped the rear drum from the 416 version to one from a G3. The 416 was correct for the barrel length and sight radius but I found I prefer the open V of the G3 on the 100m setting. The aim point and front sight make for a great improvised ghost ring if the dot isn’t visible from being on the wrong setting or washed out from the light or whatever. I feel like I’m able to pick the dot up faster with the fixed front sight too.
View Quote

Nice. Thanks for the info! Great looking rifle.

These all wear BFG VCAS slings when in use. I would feel fine grabbing any of these, but the 16" would get the nod if I had to grab one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
two of many.

IMG_20200329_161320_296 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]

https://i.imgur.com/C5LmaAZ.jpg

These all wear BFG VCAS slings when in use. I would feel fine grabbing any of these, but the 16" would get the nod if I had to grab one.
View All Quotes

I always love your rifles...  no suppressors?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
11.5" loaded with 62g MK318 for leaving the house shtf, and a 8.3" 300blk loaded with 110g Vmax that lives by the bed for HD.

11.5":
-Complete BCM upper with BCM bolt in a Bootleg carrier.
-PSA lower with BCM LPK
-PA Cyclops 1x
-Inforce WML gen2
-MFT Minimalist stock
-YHM TurboK

8.3":
-Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel with Toolcraft NIB BCG.
-7.5" SLR rail
-PSA lower with BCM LPK
-Holosun 515GM (Replaced my MRO as it works better with my eyes and the 60moa ring is a must for quickness)
-O-light
-Tailhook Mod2 brace.
-Omega 300

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:

View Quote

I have a couple of pistol/rimfire cans, but no rifle suppressors. I plan to get a couple but I just dont prioritize them high on the needs list, to be honest. No real reason behind it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]

I have a couple of pistol/rimfire cans, but no rifle suppressors. I plan to get a couple but I just dont prioritize them high on the needs list, to be honest. No real reason behind it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:

Makes sense.  I don’t shoot with mine too often either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Oddly enough I'm starting to get there too. I was in this "wont shoot a center fire without one" phase, and I'm clear of it now.

Just been a pain to get qd adapters, or thread adapters, so now, my precision ar wears the can,and my 16" carry handle carbine will just have an a2 fh for now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CAP93:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CAP93:

@CAP93 I'm just a planner II for a small local government here. My collection isn't nearly as impressive as many member's here.

I have a good moonlighting gig doing hand drawn architectural renderings, home portraits, rifle portraits, slaps, (patches soon hopefully), etc. That's helped me fund this hobby. I don't play video games anymore or watch sports in the evenings. After the wife and kids go to bed, I start working again. I've accumulated what I have over the past decade using extra income. Subscribing to the 3 hobbies way of life has also helped; Everyone should have one hobby that makes them healthy, one hobby that makes them money, and one hobby that's purely for fun. I run (or at least I did before kid #3), I draw, I build/shoot guns. That's all...well, I don't know if drinking alcohol is considered a hobby, I'll lump that in with the art hobby.

Back on track:

Not mine, but I put this go to rifle together and painted it this weekend for my bro in law:

It's his first and only AR at the moment. Didn't give him the Elcan, but I zeroed it in, painted it for him and threw in a couple new 30 round pmags, and 80 rounds of ammo. I have a spare bushnell TRS 25
that I'm going to order a riser for and then I'll give him that next time I see him.  
Also need to get him an ambi safety as he's a lefty. Other manipulations aren't difficult, but an ambi safety is a huge improvement for a left handed operations IMO. Told him he needed to buy a case of ammo when it comes back down and 8 more
mags. We can work on the handguard/weapon light/sling setup later. It's zeroed and he has two full mags for HD, that's a solid start.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

*Sigh* Gotta go change my undies again
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Izlid, for when you don’t want to shoot someone but still want to deal permanent damage.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mban2:

Izlid, for when you don’t want to shoot someone but still want to deal permanent damage.
View Quote

I can neither confirm nor deny that it is hilarious when employed against feral swine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#19]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
Makes sense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:
Originally Posted By M-4matus:
HOW GOES THE PARTS WAITING FELLAS;)?I'm waiting on Illumination, bought an M340C and DBaL i2 Vis/IR 1 weeks ago.  Still no shipping notices.  I had 2 orders placed with the same vendor 3 days later and received both in a timely manner, frustrating.

Just put together this 12-5 six8 build to offset the ammo deficit.  Been able to find plenty of 6.8 @ about the same cost of the current 5.56 price,...and, its actually in stock.  I've got enough 5.56 to hold down the fort, but il l be doing My hunting and Truck Gunning with this little beast.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200329_083311-1339619.jpg
Why is that mount so tall? it really seems excessive.

It makes shooting passively with nods easier. It's also not as tall as it looks.
Makes sense.

@BIgDAM
Also, if You were to measure something like a Lower 1/3 Aimpoint T2 mounted on an MP5 or several other Firearms with Comb Heights which are lower than that of the Optical Sight Plane, it would actually be close in dimension to this set-up(Thjis LMT measures roughly 3.65", My MDR measures roughly 3.5").  It probably also make more since to see it in a more complete form.  The Mount height not only make easier shooting in a heads up stance, but also clears required Illumination Tools.  And, I second the statement made by @StinkPotJoe.  Much easier to shoot with NODS.  I just first learned of the UNITY FAST mounts a month ago, bought on.  Now I have them on 3 of my SBR/AR Pistols.  I too thought they looked awfully tall...
 Just waiting one the M340...and TAPS
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]

@BIgDAM
Also, if You were to measure something like a Lower 1/3 Aimpoint T2 mounted on an MP5 or several other Firearms with Comb Heights which are lower than that of the Optical Sight Plane, it would actually be close in dimension to this set-up(Thjis LMT measures roughly 3.65", My MDR measures roughly 3.5").  It probably also make more since to see it in a more complete form.  The Mount height not only make easier shooting in a heads up stance, but also clears required Illumination Tools.  And, I second the statement made by @StinkPotJoe.  Much easier to shoot with NODS.  I just first learned of the UNITY FAST mounts a month ago, bought on.  Now I have them on 3 of my SBR/AR Pistols.  I too thought they looked awfully tall...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200330_184542-1342235.jpg  Just waiting one the M340...and TAPS
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:
HOW GOES THE PARTS WAITING FELLAS;)?I'm waiting on Illumination, bought an M340C and DBaL i2 Vis/IR 1 weeks ago.  Still no shipping notices.  I had 2 orders placed with the same vendor 3 days later and received both in a timely manner, frustrating.

Just put together this 12-5 six8 build to offset the ammo deficit.  Been able to find plenty of 6.8 @ about the same cost of the current 5.56 price,...and, its actually in stock.  I've got enough 5.56 to hold down the fort, but il l be doing My hunting and Truck Gunning with this little beast.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200329_083311-1339619.jpg
Why is that mount so tall? it really seems excessive.

It makes shooting passively with nods easier. It's also not as tall as it looks.
Makes sense.

@BIgDAM
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200330_184542-1342235.jpg  Just waiting one the M340...and TAPS

Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

What mount are you using for the IZLID?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Smooth_Oper8or:

What mount are you using for the IZLID?
View Quote

An Elzetta mount i found a few years back that fits it well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Thought I'd move some optics around. Gonna give this setup another go.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:

https://i.ibb.co/ngJ3PP8/coltm1601.jpg
View Quote

You seem to have been around the block a couple times, but I have to ask: why add a pic rail and then a pic mount for the light? Seems like it would be much lighter/easier to add and MLOK direct mount.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By hfrog355:

You seem to have been around the block a couple times, but I have to ask: why add a pic rail and then a pic mount for the light? Seems like it would be much lighter/easier to add and MLOK direct mount.
View Quote

I usually assume it's just left over parts or already had them type deal.

However I've never seen a use for a QD light mount

For when you suddenly dont need to see really fast
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Wanted to be able to take the light off at times. It turns black and I hate cleaning the damn thing. I'm honestly just playing around a bit and I'm bored out of my freakin' mind! I have a Arisaka mount for the light if I choose to go back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

I usually assume it's just left over parts or already had them type deal.

However I've never seen a use for a QD light mount

For when you suddenly dont need to see really fast
View Quote

I actually bought the mount to use on my MRP upper. Sold the LMT. Still have the mount!

Stop making fun of me!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Wanted to be able to take the light off at times. It turns black and I hate cleaning the damn thing. I'm honestly just playing around a bit and I'm bored out of my freakin' mind! I have a Arisaka mount for the light if I choose to go back.
View Quote

10-4.

FWIW - these work very well:
https://thyrm.com/product/clens-protector/
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]

I actually bought the mount to use on my MRP upper. Sold the LMT. Still have the mount!

Stop making fun of me!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#30]

Stop making fun of me!
View Quote

@Hydra-shokz -What mount is it?  If its an offset Pic Mount I need one that would work on a Geissele MK4 10'' Federal Rail.  I have a LaRue Mount on it now but it makes the light protrude too far for my liking.  Its always in the way  and makes the muzzle profile to large.  I would order the offset LaRue Mount but I am unsure if it will allow the light to fit under a D-BaL???

*EDIT- I am actually refering to the exact mount that is in your last image.  I know your not into NODS so You don't have a D-BaL to try over that set up.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A D-BaL will clear the LaRue Mount that @Hydra-shokz last posted.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]

https://i.ibb.co/ngJ3PP8/coltm1601.jpg
View Quote

The LaRue Mount in this image.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

So, @Hydra-shokz , You should go back to Your Arisaka Light and sell Me Your LaRue Mount.  It would go better with My set-Up anyway...No?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#33]

So, @Hydra-shokz , You should go back to Your Arisaka Light and sell Me Your LaRue Mount.  It would go better with My set-Up anyway...No?
View Quote

Ummma.... no!

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-surefire-scout-offset-mount-lt752/
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ForestRegion] [#34]

@Hydra-shokz -What mount is it?  If its an offset Pic Mount I need one that would work on a Geissele MK4 10'' Federal Rail.  I have a LaRue Mount on it now but it makes the light protrude too far for my liking.  Its always in the way  and makes the muzzle profile to large.  I would order the offset LaRue Mount but I am unsure if it will allow the light to fit under a D-BaL???

*EDIT- I am actually refering to the exact mount that is in your last image.  I know your not into NODS so You don't have a D-BaL to try over that set up.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A D-BaL will clear the LaRue Mount that @Hydra-shokz last posted.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200401_180153-1345679.jpg
View All Quotes

Stop making fun of me!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200401_180153-1345679.jpg

ETA: @M-4matus

Not sure if it will clear the LaRue, but Dbals have excellent clearance when paired with a light. My guess is yes it will clear. I can get them quite snug with inline mounts.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice balance and reliable … already have Mini Scout light/pressure switch just deciding how I want to mount it up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#36]
View All Quotes

@ForestRegion
Ok, good to know.  I was going to try a Thorntail Inline Mount, but was unsure if they did allow proper clearance for use of D-BaL's.  I'm glad to know they do.  That being said.  With the newest offerings of M Series WML's from Surefire including such a vast array of possible positions, I believe these mounts will mostly be unnecessary.  I JUST ORDERED AN SF M340C.  It would work perfectly on my 10" MK4 Federal Rail, but unfortunately I purchased it for My 12-5 SIX8 LMT Build.  Check out the LINKs below-
M Lok version
New SUREFIRE M Series WML w/ 200 degree Pivoting Mount- Picatinny / M Lok Compatible  

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Another funny issue with the Steiner D-BaL.  They do not clear Steiner's own WML offering.  I had a Steiner MK4 that came with it's own mount.  It would not come close to allowing for use of a Steiner D-BaL...One would think Steiner would take that into consideration seeing as they are the current purveyors of both products...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Old M&P Sport lower, with a DSG upper and barrel.  

Yhm buis, PA 30mm optic and magnifier (which has been flawless through trunk gun duty and competition) and a TLR-1 light.  

It's not much, but this setup has served well for several years.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Dude, go back to the Arisaka. Take a bit of Vaseline or chapstick and smear some on your SF before you go shooting. It will clean up a lot easier! Wipe it off and hit the stubborn spots with a pencil eraser.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hydra-shokz] [#40]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

Dude, go back to the Arisaka. Take a bit of Vaseline or chapstick and smear some on your SF before you go shooting. It will clean up a lot easier! Wipe it off and hit the stubborn spots with a pencil eraser.
View Quote

I more than likely will. I shot it today with the light on and the Larue lever thingy is digging into the webbing on my hand between my index finger and thumb. Not comfortable!

I'm such a failure!

But I did have fun drinking beer and swapping stuff around since the world is closed.

It's funny finding shit you forgot you had. I did firearm inventory today and I'm not telling my wife how many we have!

ETA: In fact imma do it now. Crack a cold one and crank some Megadeth! Wife is going to bed anywho.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Updated pic.

I think I’ve nearly gotten it where I want it. I just need a light and will swap the front sight out for a 99051.

PSA M4A1 lower with Geissele LPK and SSA
Colt ambi safety selector
FN NOS upper receiver
FN BCG
Geissele ACH, DDC
Colt NOS 14.5” SOCOM barrel
Daniel Defense RIS II, FDE
Dead Air flash hider for use with my Sandman S.
Trijicon TA31-H with killflash

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#42]

I more than likely will. I shot it today with the light on and the Larue lever thingy is digging into the webbing on my hand between my index finger and thumb. Not comfortable!

I'm such a failure!

But I did have fun drinking beer and swapping stuff around since the world is closed.

It's funny finding shit you forgot you had. I did firearm inventory today and I'm not telling my wife how many we have!

ETA: In fact imma do it now. Crack a cold one and crank some Megadeth! Wife is going to bed anywho.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

I'm such a failure!

@Hydra-shokz
Just IM'd You about that offset LaRue mount

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#43]

More CAR stock goodness.  Do you have specs and any more pics of the top rifle setup for the Ops 12th?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#44]

More CAR stock goodness.  Do you have specs and any more pics of the top rifle setup for the Ops 12th?
View All Quotes

@Mblades

Sure do. It is a work in progress though.

Current Config:
Ballistic Advantage 12.5" 5.56
AEMB w/ M4 collar
ALG Defense V1 MLOK 10" rail
Mil Spec Burnt Bronze and DDC receivers
BCM IonB BCG (FDE)
KAC SR25 Taupe Grip
Geissele LPK
HSP Inline MLOK Mount
Surefire M600
Dbal-i2
Forward Controls castle nut and end plate
Geissele buffer tube kit
Elcan Specter DR with MRDS

Still needs:
AEM4
dbal leaf
MBT or G2S trigger
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I now use my Tavor for HD, but this was my go-to for many years.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone have the link to the challenge thread from this? It was some sort of unsupported but no prone shooting challenge. Can someone IM me the link?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TBone556:
Does anyone have the link to the challenge thread from this? It was some sort of unsupported but no prone shooting challenge. Can someone IM me the link?
View Quote

@EVR -

We have a request for your service's Sir.. Welcome back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]

VN Brother!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top