User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/23/2019 2:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus]
FEEL FREE TO POST MULTIPLE FIREARMS IN SEPARATE IMAGES, heck, you might have 4 or 5 GoTo AR's!
Lets see images and discuss our best AR's, the ones we trust 100%. Tell us why this particular AR rifle, sbr or pisol is your SHTF or DUTY GoTo.  If you're at all like me, you may be collecting a lot of different AR's.  This may be due to the current political climate, the rush of training or maybe simply because you think the AR is one of the best firearm designs ever conceived.  Personally, I could never own too many AR's and hope to continue to add to the collection.  That being said, I do have my favorites.  My GoTo, must haves.  

Mine is an LMT MRP.  At 14.5'', it is short enough to wield in confined spaces and also capable of making accurate shots out to 500yrds.  It is Night Vision ready, carries a good flashlight and is equipped with an illuminated 1-4 LPVO.  At 9.5 lbs with spare batteries, spare bolt parts and a bipod, I am comfortable carrying it with a sling for extended periods of time.  Most importantly, I have encountered very few failures and it is accurate.  I try to end most range days and training sessions with a minimum of one Mag fired from this rifle to maintain my familiarity and confidence with it.  I also have a spare 10.5'' barrel which I plan to run Suppressed.  I think the MRP platform is extremely durable and relatively accurate, especially when used in conjunction with an LMT Enhanced BCG.  There is a level of sacrifice in regards to weight, but in my opinion, the pros far out weigh the cons.  I may change to an M-LOK Upper in the near future to shave a few OZ's.
MANY CHANGES HAVE COME

I start with this KAC URX4 Mod 2 w/ E3 SR16 BCG

My Colt/Geissele 11-5 HRT.  This is my first choice, day or night, GoTo AR.

My GoTo Hunting/Truck Gun.  It's a 12-5 LMT in Caliber 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

how's it going @Combat_Diver ?  How have things been overseas due to the Corona Virus?  Hope all is well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:28:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#2]
Originally Posted By Creature:

UNIT BASIC LOAD:

The quantity of ammunition the major Army command (MACOM) authorizes for wartime purposes and are required to be designated for and carried into combat by a unit. The UBL provides the unit sufficient ammunition to sustain itself in combat until the unit can be resupplied.
View Quote

@Creature
I thought Army reg. was that 300 rounds per Man in a Platoon should be allocated to safeguard against a sustained firefight.  This is information I read in regards to Vietnam era wartime efforts.  I believe this was to either successfully retreat or overwhelm an enemy stronghold, maybe even enough for a 24 hour sustained firefight including an entire Platoon.  Obviously, in a Platoon, there would also be a Light Machine Gunners, grenades, RPGs etc..

This is more of a question looking for more information on the subject as You seem to have factual knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:25:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#3]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

@Creature
I thought Army reg. was that 300 rounds per Man in a Platoon should be allocated to safeguard against a sustained firefight.  This is information I read in regards to Vietnam era wartime efforts.  I believe this was to either successfully retreat or overwhelm an enemy stronghold, maybe even enough for a 24 hour sustained firefight including an entire Platoon.  Obviously, in a Platoon, there would also be a Light Machine Gunners, grenades, RPGs etc..

This is more of a question looking for more information on the subject as You seem to have factual knowledge.
View Quote

The basic load prescribed for an individual for the M4 is 210 rounds (7x 30rd magazines).

But there are mulitple (six) doctrinal ammunition load types per ATP 4-35, and commanders at each level have to weigh factors like mission type, vehicle/transport type, supporting/attached units, weapons systems in use, etc to determine the appropriate mixed ammunition package. This is called a combat configured load (CCL).

Certain units might prefer to carry additional magazines for M4s, while others might be better served by carrying only the basic load in order to carry additional tube-launched munitions, charges, etc.

All that to say- there's no one right answer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:51:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#4]

how's it going @Combat_Diver ?  How have things been overseas due to the Corona Virus?  Hope all is well.
View Quote

Going, Gyms closed, no large gatherings, DFAC To Go meals and raining.  However no shortages of TP

For those that want spare ammo, unzip the white string on the 5.56mm bandoleer, insert 30 rd mags and sling over shoulder.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Going, Gyms closed, no large gatherings, DFAC To Go meals and raining.  However no shortages of TP

For those that want spare ammo, unzip the white string on the 5.56mm bandoleer, insert 30 rd mags and sling over shoulder.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5064_JPG-1329303.JPG

CD
View Quote

I had an Instructor, down at CamLej (ca. 88), who was a 'Nam vet...he showed us this cool feature of the ubiquitous bandolier.  

Though the Safety Pin debate rages on...
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:

I had an Instructor, down at CamLej (ca. 88), who was a 'Nam vet...he showed us this cool feature of the ubiquitous bandolier.  

Though the Safety Pin debate rages on...
View Quote

Safety pin is for when you're out of TP and you make a diaper...…..

Serious, use safety pin to take up slack when slinging bandoleer.  Can also be used to pin speed loader to things.

CD
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I posted my Colt SOCOM a few pages back. Didn't fire the gun until recently and now i'd like to set it up as my "go to" rifle. Deciding between the Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO. Any suggestions between the two? I also need a sling for it so any suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
I posted my Colt SOCOM a few pages back. Didn't fire the gun until recently and now i'd like to set it up as my "go to" rifle. Deciding between the Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO. Any suggestions between the two? I also need a sling for it so any suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.
View Quote

aimpoint pro and a vickers/BFG padded 2 point sling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Both are good optics. I say MRO because the battery is easier to find and if you have LPVO or RMR types then you can use the same batteries. And the MRO is a tiny bit smaller and lighter.

Sling get a VTAC padded.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]

My personal SHTF gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah saw that today.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Aimpoint pro is a solid choice.  I have had one for years on my 6933.

I used to be a die hard Vickers Sling guy, but recently tried the Ferro Concepts “slingster” and it is excellent.  The adjustment slider is just so slick.  Still love BFG sling hardware, especially the U-loop for QD alternatives.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Spatten:

I used to be a die hard Vickers Sling guy, but recently tried the Ferro Concepts “slingster” and it is excellent.  The adjustment slider is just so slick.  Still love BFG sling hardware, especially the U-loop for QD alternatives.  
View Quote

how do you like the slingster vs the vickers? i wanted to try one. i heard the slingster is more flexible because of the material and im not a fan of how stiff the vickers feels.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackhalo] [#16]
View Quote

MRO. I've got a Pro as well, but prefer the MRO(Bigger window, lighter, Battery type). But at the end of the day, I'm good with either of them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]

how do you like the slingster vs the vickers? i wanted to try one. i heard the slingster is more flexible because of the material and im not a fan of how stiff the vickers feels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed.  I've been running a Vickers for years and it just won't soften up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's another one I'd drag into the "fray"...after all, this is SHTF and there's going to be a lot of weak and malnourished folk out there.  What better than a 6# AR?

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's another one I'd drag into the "fray"...after all, this is SHTF and there's going to be a lot of weak and malnourished folk out there.  What better than a 6# AR?

https://i.imgur.com/GX7DSnp.jpg?2
View Quote

I always swear I'm going to have one just like that in the collection one day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Upper
Colt 14.5 SOCOM w/ pinned surefire FH
DD M4a1 RIS II
Mega upper
KAC front sight
Matech rear sight
VORTEX 1-6
Geissele pre-NSN URG-i ACH
Colt BCG

Lower
Mega forged stripped lower
ALG ACT
Tango Down grip
Magpul ambi safety
B5 sopmod
Spikes T2 buffer
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

The slingster is built of a much thinner material, but it does have a pad that has a really clever adjustment to place it where you want it and it won’t move around.  The rest of the sling is very flexible.  I cannot say enough about how impressed I am with the design of the adjuster, it is far superior to anything I’ve tried.  I used to be a vickers sling guy, but the Ferro is really superior.  I’m looking to buy another to set up with u-loops for my rifles that are not QD ready.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]

The slingster is built of a much thinner material, but it does have a pad that has a really clever adjustment to place it where you want it and it won’t move around.  The rest of the sling is very flexible.  I cannot say enough about how impressed I am with the design of the adjuster, it is far superior to anything I’ve tried.  I used to be a vickers sling guy, but the Ferro is really superior.  I’m looking to buy another to set up with u-loops for my rifles that are not QD ready.  
View All Quotes

The slingster blows everything else out of the water currently imo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Originally Posted By Nalleywacker:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/nalleywhacker/Mobile%20Uploads/20200130_075957_zpsclrcfyar.jpg
View Quote

damnit...you guys making me spend money again

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#26]

damnit...you guys making me spend money again

View Quote

Slingster is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redmax28] [#27]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

How do you like the clarity and eyebox of the holosun?
View Quote

Actually don't mind it at all. It's not an absolute perfect line up with the Exp3 but it has not interfered with performance. I have shot this set up from 200 out to a rough 800 (the round count for an impact at 800 though )last summer on a angled shoot in NV. I haven't noticed any blurring along the ledges at all. I'm happy with it for the cost. May upgrade to the newer EO Tech options when they release.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
https://i.imgur.com/6gqWejlr.jpg
Slingster is the way to go.
View Quote

Sick carbine.  Love the paint.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]

https://i.imgur.com/GX7DSnp.jpg?2
View Quote

Hey I can match you there!  There's a Colt 6520 in this line up somewhere. Got 3 Police Trade in 6520's at 500 a pop with PRI Goosenecks and Surefire lights last June. Other 2 are gone and I keep this one around. Hell of a light rifle w/o the optic. Goosenecks are dumb but it was basically free. Basically this whole lineup are my top go-to's honestly. Minus the halfsie on the right

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Nalleywacker:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/nalleywhacker/Mobile%20Uploads/20200130_075957_zpsclrcfyar.jpg
View Quote

What QD-swivel is that do you like it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tallywacker:

View Quote

@Tallywacker - on another note, did you ever run a Tugboat on Champlain building bridges?  Only other time in My life I ever heard anyone called Tallywacker....No.?.
I have been running Haley Strategic Slings, I order them without any attachments and make my own or add QD where needed.  I will say, the mechanism that lossens / tightens Your sling does look nice.  May be Ill pick one up.  Also, Nice Gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Swapped some stuff around last night. Really like how this balanced.

Needs a light and sling, but this was just an experiment. I concluded that this is a viable option for a go-to rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JBobM:

What QD-swivel is that do you like it?
View Quote

Its the alg qd. I like then very solid feeling. They are pricey tho the 2 qds cost more than the sling lol and they dont like to fit in some buttstocks depending on how much room.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#34]

@Tallywacker - on another note, did you ever run a Tugboat on Champlain building bridges?  Only other time in My life I ever heard anyone called Tallywacker....No.?.
I have been running Haley Strategic Slings, I order them without any attachments and make my own or add QD where needed.  I will say, the mechanism that lossens / tightens Your sling does look nice.  May be Ill pick one up.  Also, Nice Gun.
View Quote

Lol. Yeah the adjustment mechanism is what makes the slingster better imo its very fast and smooth to adjust. I had a few bfg slings and they were so hard to adjust these are silky smooth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:02:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
I dunno, I got a safe full of the same tacticool stuff as everybody else, but tell me why Stoner's original doesn't warrant consideration for Appalachian woods SHTF:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228605/IMG_20200326_093552347-1334180.jpg

View Quote

His original design is awesome but I like being able to non redneck attach a flashlight and a red dot
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]

His original design is awesome but I like being able to non redneck attach a flashlight and a red dot
View All Quotes
I dunno, I got a safe full of the same tacticool stuff as everybody else, but tell me why Stoner's original doesn't warrant consideration for Appalachian woods SHTF:

Yea, love the retro builds, but modern problems; modern solutions etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yellowhammer1] [#38]
altered
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By yellowhammer1:

http://www.ultimak.com/products/ap10604inst.jpg

Notice he said woods i.e. not clearing buildings. Flashlights on the sides of the deep woods hollows ("hollers") at night are going to invite unwanted guests.
View Quote

Only person I know comfortable with that.

Also, you dont need to leave the flashlight on 24/7. I like to be able to see what I'm shooting at.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CaptShiess] [#40]

https://biographypedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/maxresdefault-4-1-1170x610.jpg

Only person I know comfortable with that.

Also, you dont need to leave the flashlight on 24/7. I like to be able to see what I'm shooting at.
View Quote

Actually, you’d be surprised at how natural the Aimpoint on top of a carry handle is.  I find no issues at all in acquiring the dot.  I actually think it’s easier than the rmr mounted on top of my acog.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Just finished this for my wife.  Light weight Colt 6720, MBT trigger, cut/pin/weld FCD mount, MRO and other goodies.  Super light and handy for sure!

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Notice he said woods i.e. not clearing buildings. Flashlights on the sides of the deep woods hollows ("hollers") at night are going to invite unwanted guests.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ForestRegion:

Yea, love the retro builds, but modern problems; modern solutions etc.

@yellowhammer1 I didn't say anything about clearing buildings either. Not coming down on him at all. I have zero issue with carry handle mounted optics. I encourage it.

My point was we're offered all sorts of force multipliers like quality glass, lights, lasers, IR illuminators, etc. this day in age, it only makes sense to incorporate it. Just because you don't have a weapon, flashlight, night vision etc. doesn't mean a potential threat won't have it.

Again I love retro builds, but put a momentary light on the barrel or FSP clamp at the very least and get training on night fighting. I live in Western NC myself, but I still can't see in the dark when I'm in the woods. Until I get wizard eyes, I prefer having a weapon mounted light.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#43]

@yellowhammer1 I didn't say anything about clearing buildings either. Not coming down on him at all. I have zero issue with carry handle mounted optics. I encourage it.

My point was we're offered all sorts of force multipliers like quality glass, lights, lasers, IR illuminators, etc. this day in age, it only makes sense to incorporate it. Just because you don't have a weapon, flashlight, night vision etc. doesn't mean a potential threat won't have it.

Again I love retro builds, but put a momentary light on the barrel or FSP clamp at the very least and get training on night fighting. I live in Western NC myself, but I still can't see in the dark when I'm in the woods. Until I get wizard eyes, I prefer having a weapon mounted light.
View Quote

Even with night vision, I still have a white light on all of my sr15s. It's just a nice backup to have. You dont have to leave it on the entire time but its damn nice to have when you need it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Even with night vision, I still have a white light on all of my sr15s. It's just a nice backup to have. You dont have to leave it on the entire time but its damn nice to have when you need it.
View All Quotes

That's not a bad idea at all. With the plan to buy NV I have a few Vampire Surefires on the night rifles. Visible light is always a nice option.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
Just finished this for my wife.  Light weight Colt 6720, MBT trigger, cut/pin/weld FCD mount, MRO and other goodies.  Super light and handy for sure!
https://i.imgur.com/u632Erf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FttfwA6.jpg
View Quote

I shot an almost identical build for years. Uncanny.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#46]
HOW GOES THE PARTS WAITING FELLAS;)?I'm waiting on Illumination, bought an M340C and DBaL i2 Vis/IR 1 weeks ago.  Still no shipping notices.  I had 2 orders placed with the same vendor 3 days later and received both in a timely manner, frustrating.

Just put together this 12-5 six8 build to offset the ammo deficit.  Been able to find plenty of 6.8 @ about the same cost of the current 5.56 price,...and, its actually in stock.  I've got enough 5.56 to hold down the fort, but il l be doing My hunting and Truck Gunning with this little beast.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#47]
HOW GOES THE PARTS WAITING FELLAS;)?I'm waiting on Illumination, bought an M340C and DBaL i2 Vis/IR 1 weeks ago.  Still no shipping notices.  I had 2 orders placed with the same vendor 3 days later and received both in a timely manner, frustrating.

Just put together this 12-5 six8 build to offset the ammo deficit.  Been able to find plenty of 6.8 @ about the same cost of the current 5.56 price,...and, its actually in stock.  I've got enough 5.56 to hold down the fort, but il l be doing My hunting and Truck Gunning with this little beast.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200329_083311-1339619.jpg
View Quote
Why is that mount so tall? it really seems excessive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
View All Quotes

It makes shooting passively with nods easier. It's also not as tall as it looks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:

It makes shooting passively with nods easier. It's also not as tall as it looks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grizzlygunner999] [#50]
My recce, my eyes suck. I prefer LPVO with illuminated reticle nowadaysAttachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top