BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2019 1:12:39 AM EDT
Based on my (considerably limited) experience in the AR/tactically-focused shooting community over these past few years, it would seem that the reign of Flat Dark Earth is starting to be challenged.  It could be by imagination, but it seems like we're starting to see more OD Green options (even if in limited amounts) than there were before, and I have a theory as to why that is.

The predominant conflict that the US military is involved in or focused on, I believe, drives much of the focus for rifle furniture and accessories.  So, when the armed forces were heavily engaged in terrains such as Iraq, North Africa, and the more arid regions of Afghanistan, Flat Dark Earth was naturally popular.  However, as Russia has become the new boogey man, and the drawdown in the Middle East continues, I think we're seeing a return to more forest-focused color schemes.  After all, while I do love FDE, and most of my rifles are adorned with FDE furniture and accessories, I am rediscovering my love for OD Green; especially as it fits in better with my area of the Appalachia (at least during the spring, summer and fall).

Now, for a counter-argument, it could be said that the military still favors FDE, after all, USASOC's selection of the URG-I is defaulted in an FDE-like shade, but SF & Rangers will probably just rattle-can that to whatever environment they end up in anyway.

So? Thoughts?  Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?  Or am I just off the paper entirely?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You're spot on as to why FDE blew up. I would say multicam is the current day "FDE"

OD green is damn effective too in a jungle environment. (As is woodland) I actually just snagged an OD green plate carrier yesterday.

At the end of the day, one should buy gear that matches THEIR environment, not what matches where our troops/SOF are deployed. Unless its a clone of course, then FDE all the things as required.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're spot on as to why FDE blew up. I would say multicam is the current day "FDE"

OD green is damn effective too in a jungle environment. (As is woodland) I actually just snagged an OD green plate carrier yesterday.

At the end of the day, one should buy gear that matches THEIR environment, not what matches where our troops/SOF are deployed. Unless its a clone of course, then FDE all the things as required.
View Quote
Same.  Snagged one of those Geissele FBI OD green rails and love it.  I was wondering if the "pivot" to the Pacific (that never really happened) was going to generate that same shift to jungle-focused schemes, but I guess we'll never know now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At the end of the day, one should buy gear that matches THEIR environment
View Quote
That's how I ended up developing my special camo pattern that incorporates mountain dew cans and hot pocket wrappers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated rattle can it for the environment.  Thinking of repainting my URG white right now

CD
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of the OD green Geissele MK16 rails during BF.  and then Aero had a 25% off sale on the OD green stripped uppers.  put them side by side, one is green-ish, one is brown-ish.  we're on our way to 50 shades of ODG.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Not all Green is OD green.   Some greens are "Forest Greens" and other shades that can make getting your stock, grip, panels or forearm from different makers a challenge to match...

Your Receiver is OD, but your forearm is Forest Green...

But that said, I like the OD Green Thing on a couple of my ARs.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see it coming back, I think the geissele rails are a major factor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would disagree, Magpul has been providing us with different colors besides black for awhile now. Besides painting rifles, I wonder if we could ID the first company to offer colored accessories?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
All of my ARs have OD green grips, stocks, and rail covers. It works well for my environment - I still use old woodland BDUs, too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of it is people understanding their environment (although tans and browns are valid for a lot of us, especially right now), but I'd imagine a lot of it is just something different for that new rifle build. We have black rifles, we have tan rifles, some of you guys have bronze and purple and whatever else...

During the summer there is plenty of green here between the corn and the trees, but brown and medium tans still have a place and are certainly better than just black. I've been giving some thought to using a brown like the DD RIS rail with OD furniture and swiping it with some Krylon woodland light green.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in the southeast, so OD green for me.

If I lived in Arizona, it would be fde.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All of my ARs have OD green grips, stocks, and rail covers. It works well for my environment - I still use old woodland BDUs, too.
View Quote
Ditto, and in same area.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with dressing for your environment.  Is Mossy Oak just not tacticool enough to be adopted?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I never jumped on the tan or FDE train, its great if you live out west but I live in OH, the terrain is green 9 months out of the year, and even during the winter grass, bushes, pine trees, and other organic mater still retain green shades. Why would I choose anyting other than multicam or OD green?!

Pick whats around you, not what the super cool tacticool special forces ninjas are using.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Never liked FDE I have always been a fan of the OD/Ranger/Forrest green colors.  Even in many parts of the places where the US mil finds itself in conflicts right now you will find green and pretty much anywhere on the planet except the poles you will find green.  Green is in the dessert, in the mountains, and just about everywhere.

Green master race FTW!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As stated rattle can it for the environment.  Thinking of repainting my URG white right now

CD
View Quote
Mine would look like my shop or the kitchen lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought one of the OD green Geissele MK16 rails during BF.  and then Aero had a 25% off sale on the OD green stripped uppers.  put them side by side, one is green-ish, one is brown-ish.  we're on our way to 50 shades of ODG.
https://i.imgur.com/EnnK8lr.jpg
View Quote
Dude this is fucking sick. You have excellent taste. Please share your finished project.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Based on my (considerably limited) experience in the AR/tactically-focused shooting community over these past few years, it would seem that the reign of Flat Dark Earth is starting to be challenged.  It could be by imagination, but it seems like we're starting to see more OD Green options (even if in limited amounts) than there were before, and I have a theory as to why that is.

The predominant conflict that the US military is involved in or focused on, I believe, drives much of the focus for rifle furniture and accessories.  So, when the armed forces were heavily engaged in terrains such as Iraq, North Africa, and the more arid regions of Afghanistan, Flat Dark Earth was naturally popular.  However, as Russia has become the new boogey man, and the drawdown in the Middle East continues, I think we're seeing a return to more forest-focused color schemes.  After all, while I do love FDE, and most of my rifles are adorned with FDE furniture and accessories, I am rediscovering my love for OD Green; especially as it fits in better with my area of the Appalachia (at least during the spring, summer and fall).

Now, for a counter-argument, it could be said that the military still favors FDE, after all, USASOC's selection of the URG-I is defaulted in an FDE-like shade, but SF & Rangers will probably just rattle-can that to whatever environment they end up in anyway.

So? Thoughts?  Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?  Or am I just off the paper entirely?
View Quote
My Appalachian Brother! For some reason the FDE/Coyote Brown, I like during the Spring/Summer/Fall months for me at least in my personal opinion, it works better then you would think, I do agree OD Green is a nice touch and does wonders here as well, but was pleasantly surprised on how well FDE/CB does in the Appalachian Terrain! I would still like more options than FDE/Black/OD Green/Sig Sauer Stealth-Gun Gray/Burnt Bronze Though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Ranger green for the win
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I actually just snagged an OD green plate carrier yesterday.
View Quote

My old PC that I have had for years is FDE (actually its now a mix of FDE, Dirt, grime grease etc etc) and has been reconfigured multiple times as I just can't seem to get rid of it! Its currently wearing OD green mag puches but has in the past had a mixture of things such as a Woodland camelbak, ACU, and dyed ACU pouches along with various FDE pouches and multicam/ocp pouches. I'm like the hobo of gear shit, none of my stuff matches at all which I have found actually helps in some situations to break it up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would disagree, Magpul has been providing us with different colors besides black for awhile now. Besides painting rifles, I wonder if we could ID the first company to offer colored accessories?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure I understand what you disagree with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get those helmets done yet?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#23]
OD has always been my favorite, and I did this one 6 years ago

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm a sucker for green. Im glad it's becoming more popular.

Lets not forget about Glock Battle Field Green. I've got the 19 the 17, Geissele Mk 4 ODG and a MK 16 ODG. Just got a CZ P07 in ODG but its a bit of different shade. Although I still like it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
My money would be on Armalite. They had a choice of black or green furniture.
CavArms did a lot with different color furniture before Magpul.
VLTOR offered black, green and tan.
Not sure where they got in amongst Magpul's original stocks.

And dont forget there was a gap, for various reasons when magpul was offering only black magazines, and then only black and sand. I think now they only have black and MCT.

I normally go for FDE, but I just redid a rifle in green because I had a VLTOR stock and a hogue grip in green from back in the day. I picked up Magpul MLok covers to match.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
I was disagreeing with Geissele being a major factor. They had the FBI rails and just recently released the green anodizing for some sales. I think the other manufacturers have been the ones enabling the multitude of colors including OD green. Geissele is just the latest one to throw their hat in the ring.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I love OD green.
No more arctic or desert missions for me!
At least in the arctic you freeze all the time,
in the f@cking desert you bake for half the day
and freeze for the other half.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#28]
OD is my favorite. Can’t go wrong. Non reflective and works great at night too. Plus, it just looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#29]
My favorite is dark brown.  I'm not sure any of them are any more useful for me than black.  Last time I carried an AR doing anything "practical" I was wearing blaze orange.  So I don't think the deer would care what color the rifle is.

Obviously for soldiers and police officers they need what they need for their environment and painting is a good idea.   But my guess is even most cops don't need camo.  Obviously some hunters are better with camo, like when you hunt coyotes and other game that you normally camo up for.

We can do FDE around here in the winter because there's a lot o dead grass.  But in the summer it's probably not the best.   Definitely dark and light browns right now.  We haven't had much snow at all this winter so far.  Thank God!

I do think FDE has a cool look to it though.  Not sure why.....  Other than it's what our guys have been using fighting in the middle east.  It might be different if they were all carrying green.

A green gun ITW for ya, although I wonder if it's just the shading and that's actually FDE.  IDK:

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m going Abino Master Race with my guns so that they’re easily concealed when I wear my tactically revealing Daisy Dukes. Avert your eyes, citizen!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m going Abino Master Race with my guns so that they’re easily concealed when I wear my tactically revealing Daisy Dukes. Avert your eyes, citizen!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421435/786F29D6-4989-4325-BF00-B7949542478B_jpeg-801642.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421435/34B346B8-F922-4220-973E-D9877B20ED9D_jpeg-801643.JPG
View Quote
I thought I could tolerate sand, but I ended up spending my "savings" on Rit dye.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Recently running a new coyote chest rig in a wet forest thinking it would be an awful match because eveything is green.  I went prone getting super muddy and funny enough it matched the mud color perfectly,  so it even depends if you want to match vegetation or dirt...
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#33]
OD? Who in their right mind would build an AR in that color?

Attachment Attached File

Oh, yeah. Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Love the OD Green lower and upper receivers with black furniture. I grabbed one of the OD green Mk4 10" Geissele rails. Sad to say it doesn't match the OD green furniture I already have, so my FBI-HRT near facsimile will now be all black.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

You?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was disagreeing with Geissele being a major factor. They had the FBI rails and just recently released the green anodizing for some sales. I think the other manufacturers have been the ones enabling the multitude of colors including OD green. Geissele is just the latest one to throw their hat in the ring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, sorry.

I must’ve still been asleep.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No.

You?
View Quote
All my crap is still boxed up, hopefully I'll be in a new permanent place by summer though!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad to see it's making a comeback. It would be nice to see more rails and SBA3's offered in OD green.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OD is my favorite. Can’t go wrong. Non reflective and works great at night too. Plus, it just looks awesome.
View Quote
Brother, ever since I saw your FDE break-up scheme, I want to do one with OD and a lighter shade.  Did you come up with that pattern?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#40]
my 6.5G wears OD green.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Rattle Can

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I mix and match colors.  Whatever is laying around gets put on the newest AR built.  It's not a fashion statement.

If I need to hide it it gets Krylon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I mixed and matched FDE and OD green in the magpul parts.  Also used FDE and ODG rail covers.

I like OD green but never did go "all in" on it.  Built my Dad a black and Foliage carbine though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My old PC that I have had for years is FDE (actually its now a mix of FDE, Dirt, grime grease etc etc) and has been reconfigured multiple times as I just can't seem to get rid of it! Its currently wearing OD green mag puches but has in the past had a mixture of things such as a Woodland camelbak, ACU, and dyed ACU pouches along with various FDE pouches and multicam/ocp pouches. I'm like the hobo of gear shit, none of my stuff matches at all which I have found actually helps in some situations to break it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I actually just snagged an OD green plate carrier yesterday.

I hear you bro! The one I have now is mixed as well. I'm sticking with OD for the one I bought off you

As for the dirt/grime thing its funny you say that. That's the only thing that makes ACU half way worth a damn for camoflague is rolling around in dirt/muck first.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Took ya'll long enough.  Works just as well in western high desert as it does in eastern woodlands. ODG is very adaptable.

Aervoe rattlecan OD Green...same rifle, different lighting:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/EnnK8lr.jpg
View Quote
I'm not a big fan of ODG, specifically magpul OD, but I really like that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Brother, ever since I saw your FDE break-up scheme, I want to do one with OD and a lighter shade.  Did you come up with that pattern?
View Quote
Details on FDE break up?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#48]
As much as I like OD, it stands out in every environment short of the couple areas of alpine forest we have here in AZ. Multicam looks like it was tailor-made for most of the environments in the state.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#49]
There seems to be green and light brown/tan just about everywhere so I try to incorporate both in my rattle can camo jobs.  I don’t do a solid one color, but there’s nothing wrong with it, que Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I liked OD before it was cool!  This is the first AR I ever built.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top