Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2018 9:19:01 PM EDT
Is it possible to build an AR from a parts kit just by watching YouTube vids?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, you actually need to buy tools and then build the parts kit.  Watching videos won't make it assemble itself.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly how I built my first AR. If I had any questions I did a search, and the answer was always here on ARF.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you have the tools, yes. It feels like adult Legos. Which is fantastic. I love Legos.

ETA: Just noticed you are located in UT. If you want help I'm sure you can find plenty of people willing. Assuming you are nearby I would be more than happy to play adult Legos with you so you are at least with somebody that has done it before.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching how to vids as well as using the wealth of knowledge in this community is a good way to start. Of course nothing makes a build come together smoother than having the right tools.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
yes there are videos showing you each step and there is a lower build document on this site that's great.

be ready to chase springs
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This may not be a popular opinion, but...

90% of the vids on youtube, especially gun videos, are bloated with so much bullshit that by the time you're done watching you can't decide if you were debating going to the toilet or eating a salad.  There is so much bad information thrown around as fact that those that don't know any better are going to be led astray.

My suggestion:  watching youtube stuff is fine to get the general idea of something.  Use technical drawings and diagrams as your actual guide.  If you get stuck, just google and look for links back to arfcom.  There is a plethora of information here.

Tools you need:
Hammer
Punch
Pliers (bolt catch and trigger guard)
Feeler gauge (front takedown detent)
Wrench for barrel nut
Wrench for castle nut on tube
Action block
3/4 wrench (muzzle device)
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sootch00 lower and upper assembly videos are great
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can ASSEMBLE a stripped lower receiver with a few simple tools, sure.

To BUILD a complete AR, would require more specialized tools to mount the bbl, upper, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

90% of the vids on youtube, especially gun videos, are bloated with so much bullshit that by the time you're done watching you can't decide if you were debating going to the toilet or eating a salad.  There is so much bad information thrown around as fact that those that don't know any better are going to be led astray.

My suggestion:  watching youtube stuff is fine to get the general idea of something.  Use technical drawings and diagrams as your actual guide.  If you get stuck, just google and look for links back to arfcom.  There is a plethora of information here.

Tools you need:
Hammer
Punch
Wrench for barrel nut
Action block
View Quote
Also a 3/4 torque wrench for the barrel nut assembly is essential for an AR build. I'm personally pretty stringent on following mfr torque specs.

Additionally, a 1/4 torque wrench for mounting rail systems will be viable. Other tools I keep are channel locks (bolt catch release pin), adjustable/crescent wrench (muzzle device), star key set, allen key set, masking and electrical tape (protecting surfaces).
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tools you need:
Hammer
Punch
Wrench for barrel nut
Action block
View Quote
The thing that'd really help is a bench vise, especially for the upper. Lower you can do freehand but a vise helps with everything.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is whose video i used for my first lower build
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Built mine from the ground up on YouTube videos, and researching on here. But don’t get me started on Sootch00
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, man, I did it with that thread on ARF that didn't even have video.

Back in my day we only had still pictures.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for these useful replies.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Assuming you have the tools, yes. It feels like adult Legos. Which is fantastic. I love Legos.

ETA: Just noticed you are located in UT. If you want help I'm sure you can find plenty of people willing. Assuming you are nearby I would be more than happy to play adult Legos with you so you are at least with somebody that has done it before.
View Quote
Thanks for the support.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's exactly how I built my first AR. If I had any questions I did a search, and the answer was always here on ARF.
View Quote
So you did not assemble your first AR just by watching YouTube vids.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I was taught how to build ARs from a professional but a video is a similar idea and will work. An AR multi wrench, some punches, a hammer and pliers are all you 'must have' to stick together most ARs. More tools are nice but not exactly a must have, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I watched the Brownells videos when I build my first lower.  It works so I guess I did ok just watching their videos.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I still watch his vids to make sure i dont miss anything, I normally have it going in the background.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes it's possible, just gotta watch the right video. Built my MK18 from the ground up, watched youtube vids on the upper since it was my first.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes.

I learned to do aks with YouTube too.

Next will be hks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I can attest first-hand, yes!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I started building ARs twenty years ago. I was taught by my uncle who was an armorer and smith. Use of proper tools is key. In my time as a Sheriff Deputy, many of my coworkers have asked me to build ARs for them. I hold no special training nor am I an expert. Slow and methodical is my way. Anyone can do it really. Yes, certain YT vids will help a lot. As stated, the right ones. Good luck on your build OP.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I built my first few lowers just from the threads here with static photos.
So videos would be a step up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, you actually need to buy tools and then build the parts kit.  Watching videos won't make it assemble itself.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But they will make him a YouTube certified AR armorer extraordinaire!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, here is probably one of the best videos on the Internet for building your lower receiver.  
Produced by one of our very own members.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Step-by-step-video-on-how-to-build-your-lower-receiver/4-615304/

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m an amateur when it comes to building an AR from scratch - I’ve mostly just worked on lowers up to this point. I found this ITS Tactical tutorial pretty helpful though. I like the way it goes step by step and includes both photos and video, along with a recommended list of tools for each step:

DIY AR-15 Build: Introduction, Parts and Tools Required

I’m sure they’re not the top experts at building ARs, but it was helpful to me. There were some tool recommendations in the tutorial that I replaced with others based on advice from people here and on other forums.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the links and recommendations.

I will gather tools and refer back to this thread after my PSA order arrives.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, Steve. Whatever washes the sand out of your nono square
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I built my first few lowers just from the threads here with static photos.
So videos would be a step up.
View Quote
Same here.  Upper was assembled and headspaced.  Lower was in parts.

Trust me.  You want this thing
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP, here is probably one of the best videos on the Internet for building your lower receiver.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Step-by-step-video-on-how-to-build-your-lower-receiver/4-615304/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg
View Quote
Came here to post this. Great instructional videos!

OP, be careful once you start building because it's hard to stop!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg
View Quote
I use this guy's videos all the time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, I'd never owned an AR until three months ago.

PSA complete upper with lower parts kit, a stripped lower from a local LGS, some regular tools, then watching two YT how to videos yielded a finished AR inside of an hour. Last video was stopped and started as needed during the assembly process. The next day, I was putting rounds downrange with it.

The toughest parts were installing that split pin in the bolt release and that teeny little detent spring that is captured by buffer nut plate. Still have not found the first one. The spare one was successfully installed while I wore a headlamp and draped under a bed sheet (not joking) to make sure if it got airborne I could find it. (I also realized why PSA put two of those in the kit)
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think I watched the Brownells videos when I build my first lower.  It works so I guess I did ok just watching their videos.
View Quote
This here. Brownell's were always pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Everything I know on the subject I learned from youtube or various google searches. Just have to have a keen eye to find the good info buried in the bad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I am going to say this, guys these days have it made when it comes to assembling an AR. When I built my first lower, and eventually an entire AR, I only had pictures and instructions that were posted on ARFCOM. This was many years ago. Over the course of 14 years, I have no need for tutorials, unless it comes to installing a new product I am unfamiliar with, but for anyone building today and doing it for the first time, Youtube videos are a great resource. The secret is to find videos where the person actually knows what they are doing and provides correct procedures and uses the proper tools.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
These testimonies encouraged me enough to order a PSA stripped lower on $39 daily special.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
That’s how I put my first together.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Go for it. I just watched another YouTube video for reference this morning while I put together a PSA lower for a buddy of mine. Enjoy the fruits of your labors!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yes there are videos showing you each step and there is a lower build document on this site that's great.

be ready to chase springs
View Quote
Wear eye protection and work in a space where it's easy to find the springs.

It's definitely easy to build with Youtube videos.   There was no Youtube when a lot of us taught ourselves how to do it.   But OP shows much wisdom in asking beforehand.  

Guides here on arfcom are likely to be more accurate and useful than random videos, though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought Youtube intends to ban gun how-to videos, part of their anti-AR policy.  seems like they're cracking down on reloading videos also?  although with there being so many, maybe they just can't find them all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I used this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI

to build my AR pistol, Ive watched a previous build in person before but its nothing like doing it yourself. That video handled every part of it, and extras, and the few odd things I just youtubed solo to figure out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep. Good youtube vids have helped me with ARs, M&P pistols, 642 revolvers, on and on. Watch a few. You will quickly figure out the idiots from the knowledgeable tubers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#44]
This video was a big help when I put my first lower together. He was a member on here, but I haven't seen him post in forever.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#45]
OK! Gathering necessary tools and waiting for PSA tracking numbers....
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Larry Potterfield from Midway USA does the best videos
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ordered.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ordered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered.
Cancel your order and save yourself some money. You can do the same exact thing with a $2 clevis pin from your local hardware store.

Easy AR-15 Front Takedown Pin Assembly
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cancel your order and save yourself some money. You can do the same exact thing with a $2 clevis pin from your local hardware store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DrFEDw3ow
View Quote
This

I’ve used the same $2 clevis pin for 10 years
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DrFEDw3ow
This

I have build many lowers and never needed the special tool or a Clevis pin. I learned everything I know from this site and YouTube. And now I reload and cast my own bullets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top