User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Posted: 11/24/2018 9:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARogueNinja]
This thread will be dedicated to builds and discussions of the FBI clones and thanks to Geissele for listening to the masses and releasing the much coveted rail. Parts lists will be updated as we go.  Please keep it on topic and post pictures of your builds and "in the wild" photos.

Barrel:  Colt 11.5" barrels &  others since there was already a mix of stuff out there between the different offices, prior to the upgrade starting.
Lower:  Colt/ some older DOJ contract RRA lowers, among others.
Grip:  ERGO/ Hogue/ A2
Upper:  Most of the uppers appear to be Colt marked.
Rail:  Troy and Geissele, seems like the main colors for the MK4 rail are Black and OD, unsure of the others.
Flash hider:  A2 flashhiders/ Surefire/ KAC NT4
Optics:  Aimpoint H1/T1s & H2/T2s are approved, along with the Daniel Defense mounts. The Sig Romeo4 red dot was also approved and is being used by some other federal agencies too. Spuhr mounts for Aimpoints for HRT guns.
EOTech EXPS 3 & G33 Magnifier
Sights:  Troy BUIS/ Magpul MBUS
Laser: L3 AN/ PEQ 15
Stock: CTRs  
Sling:  VTAC 2 points/ Magpul MS
Light:  WMLs/ Surefire Scout

More info here: Industry Thread
Originally Posted By mbpike:
Originally Posted By GS5414:
Alright homies. I'm going to drop some knowledge, and then ghost.

Folks generally got a handle on the right parts.

Right now, the FBI has stopped throwing out their T2s/Spuhr mounts because folks are starting to regret replacing them with the ROMEO RDS. Things aren't holding up to abuse and long life. Who knew. You'll see the Aimpoint make a comeback.

Also, nobody in this thread has the right gas block.

Geissele gas blocks are used on the FBI guns, but they are port restricted gas blocks, as in the ports aren't drilled all the way out. We used them in the USMC for some of the souped up M4s, at both 0.072" restricted for 14.5" guns (a bit too small), and 0.068" restricted for 10.3" guns. The FBI uses 0.067" restricted blocks. I think I have one of them stashed away that I never managed to use - might take a photo of it if I can find it. They do a good job keeping gas port erosion from affecting function of the guns as the barrels burn out. Keeps carrier speeds lower, recoil is a bit softer.

They are not sold commercially, or even talked about for that matter.

If you want the same function, take a G block and thread it for a BRT Micro Tune 0.067" port insert.

I'm out.

S/F
View Quote

Lets get this added to the OP.
View Quote

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Not a clone. Large regional SWAT. Skinny commando barrel.

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Indeed. When I said 'not a clone' by that I meant it's a picture of a real upper, sat on a desk in a large regional FBI training facility, not something I made at home.
View Quote

Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Originally Posted By AZgunner:
I haven't decided if I'm doing the clone correct green rail, or if I'll do the same setup but in all black. It depends on where I'm at in a few months. If I need to give my current rifle back and use the FBI clone on duty, I need to do it in black, as only all black color schemes are currently authorized.
View Quote

A black rifle can be completely clone correct, it would just represent a regular agent's rifle, not HRT or Regional SWAT. This thread started as a result of the interest in the green Geissele Mk4 handguards that showed up on Regional SWAT rifles, but all four Geissele colors are in use by the FBI. People are just (understandably) a bit fixated on the green ones because they look great. That's led to what a lot of people are doing, which is combining the features of the HRT and SWAT rifles into a mixed clone (SWAT green handguard and CTR stock, HRT heavy barrel, and Spuhr HRT Aimpoint mount).

I think it would be great if @ARogueNinja could update the original post to reflect the four FBI variants that are out there (these details are incomplete and could be a little off):

HRT: DDC Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt HRT heavy barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Spuhr mount (not sure about the stock), black or FDE(?) CTR or Colt stock

Regional SWAT: OD Green Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Daniel Defense mount, OD green CTR or Colt stock

Vehicle Teams: Grey Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Sig Romeo, FAB Defense PTK AFG, Maxim Defense collapsible stock

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1182/green___grey_M4_carbines_jpg-1584398.JPG

Field Agent: Black Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Daniel Defense mount or Sig Romeo, black CTR or Colt stock

I think this is a grey Mk4 issued to hrt4me but is (I believe) representative of the standard agent rifle configuration. I don't recall seeing any photos in this thread of a regular agent's carbine:

https://i.imgur.com/A6UVttH.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

seems legit
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Yes please!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Nice find.  Great pic!  Needs to be on Page 1.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Shit they all have black charging handles.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SnowshoeBBQ:
View Quote

I'm not aware of a picture with them with anything other than a black charging handle?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mdavis:

I'm not aware of a picture with them with anything other than a black charging handle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My suspicion is that they’re all black, Geissele just happens to offer them in green and DDC in case someone wants them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

My suspicion is that they’re all black, Geissele just happens to offer them in green and DDC in case someone wants them.
View All Quotes

Agreed. The only "clone" instance that I can think of where the charging handle matches the rail is the URG-I uppers that use a Geissele DDC rail and charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad I got black
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What lights are those in the pic?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Agreed. The only "clone" instance that I can think of where the charging handle matches the rail is the URG-I uppers that use a Geissele DDC rail and charging handle.
View All Quotes

Same.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What lights are those in the pic?
View Quote

Looks like SF Scout lights.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

That’s my take on it too. If you look at Geissele’s Government Charging Handle product listing, it says "This is the same charging handle used to fulfill contracts for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)."

The OD Green Government Charging Handle product page says “The Government Charging Handle was developed to meet the requirements of Special Agents from the Federal Bureau of Invesigations (the FBI). Currently in use on the field, it features handles that are slightly smaller and more rounded than our Airborne Charging Handle, further reducing the chances of snagging on gear during high-energy and high-tension operations.” I think they were being a little less specific in that description because the Government CH design was produced for the FBI contract, but not the green version specifically.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine's just fed inspired. Not going for 100% accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#14]

There’s a small YT symbol between the picture icon and the Twitter bird at the top of the edit window. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VyTpU378R0
View Quote

Not on topic here, but having just watched this video, I feel compelled to comment.  I'm an old guy now, but years ago, my first job out of law school was to have the privilege of serving as an FBI Special Agent.  This was in the middle 70's, before HRT ever existed, and indeed, before many FBI offices even had official SWAT teams.  I am proud of my service to my country, and will always feel good about the FBI that I was a part of.  But watching this video, I was stunned to see that it included scenes from Ruby Ridge, Waco, and the murder of Lavoy Finicum.  I cannot believe that these were moments FBI HRT was proud of.  Although I hope the original motives for FBI HRT involvement were legitimate, the outcomes of these events, IMHO, were evidence of a subset of FBI Special Agents out of control.  I only hope they have finally learned from these mistakes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
i need one of these builds so badly

but the mk4 federal odg rail is like unobtainium right now
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine (like a lot of those here) is definitely fed-inspired. Rail & optic might be the only things really correct...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#17]
….l
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HKocher:

That video wasn’t put out by the FBI, just pieced together by some guy on the internet.
View Quote

Watching it through the post on this forum, I could not tell that.  I feel somewhat better if that is the case.  I love my country and I love the FBI, but I cringe everytime I hear the words Ruby Ridge and Waco, and even Lavoy Finicum.  Glad to hear this is not an "official" video, although I do wonder just where some of that footage came from.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#19]
I know, not an actual clone, but I was an the original buyer in the first round of OD Fed rails and finally finished this up last night. Can't wait to shoot it! As long as everything goes well on its first range trip I plan on submitting a Form 1 to SBR this pistol.

It's an 11.5" Sionics barrel /Forward Conrols Desgin 6315KM and Bootleg Adjustable BCG.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
I know, not an actual clone, but I was an the original buyer in the first round of OD Fed rails and finally finished this up last night. Can't wait to shoot it! As long as everything goes well on its first range trip I plan on submitting a Form 1 to SBR this pistol.

It's an 11.5" Sionics barrel /Forward Conrols Desgin 6315KM and Bootleg Adjustable BCG.

https://i.imgur.com/qQGuIO2l.jpg?1
View Quote

Excellent choice of barrel. I’m running the 11.5” RGP in mine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By YeOldeCircles:

Excellent choice of barrel. I’m running the 11.5” RGP in mine.
View Quote

Thanks. In the last month I honestly considered selling the Sionics barrel for a 12.5" hammer-forged BRT but I thought I'd use the Sionics for this build and get the BRT for a new build with a handguard that would fit better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
What's the going rate on the non-ODG Gen 1 rails? I can find plenty of completed sales on the ODGs but few to no recent sales of the black, grey, or DDC rails.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DiscipulusArmorum:
What's the going rate on the non-ODG Gen 1 rails? I can find plenty of completed sales on the ODGs but few to no recent sales of the black, grey, or DDC rails.
View Quote

I've seen them on Gunbroker going for $500 + lately regardless of color.  I paid $385 for a new grey Gen 1 here in the EE about a month ago.  Bought a used OD Gen 2 locally for $300.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
im new to FBI HRT cloning or near cloning, so please be gentle

still waiting on a dbal-a3 and geissele ach to come in the mail

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kevblah:

https://i.imgur.com/IHU9ZbE.jpg
View Quote

that looks spot on good work
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Mk4 green build with lancer translucent OD Green Magazine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#27]

https://i.imgur.com/IHU9ZbE.jpg
View Quote

What’s not to like good looking setup
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone else hate the AFG2? Just doesn't feel right in my hand, especially when trying to manipulate the WML.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#29]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone else hate the AFG2? Just doesn't feel right in my hand, especially when trying to manipulate the WML.
View Quote

I’m not a fan of the AFG either.  I’m using a Magpul MLOK VFG instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:16:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#31]
View Quote

I’ve tried to like them twice, on both occasions they ended up in the EE. I hate the things, they’re only slightly more tolerable if you mount them backwards.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HD2006:

im waiting for my DBAL to show up before I decide if i want to run slick underside or with a VFG

I’ve tried to like them twice, on both occasions they ended up in the EE. I hate the things, they’re only slightly more tolerable if you mount them backwards.

me too, actually. exactly twice ive bought an AFG and twice now i've sold it. i really tried this time too lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Looks like a lot of the older footage in that video compilation came from Joan Lunden's old show, Behind Closed Doors: FBI HRT, which originally aired April 13, 2001. An interesting overview of the team, even if dated and a little dramatized. It shows MP5s as their primary weapons, which I'm guessing were 10mm based on the straight stick magazines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e17PyNToqE
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:
There’s a small YT symbol between the picture icon and the Twitter bird at the top of the edit window. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VyTpU378R0

Thanks

Looks like a lot of the older footage in that video compilation came from Joan Lunden's old show, Behind Closed Doors: FBI HRT, which originally aired April 13, 2001. An interesting overview of the team, even if dated and a little dramatized. It shows MP5s as their primary weapons, which I'm guessing were 10mm based on the straight stick magazines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e17PyNToqE

40 cal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I don't hate it but, I was issued one and gave it to another troop.  I bought one later and used it on 1 range trip.  Not my thing either.  I use shorty BCM VFG or small hand stops.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By karmapolice:
So clone-ish build, I have two this is the same one. This is my work rifle

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50671033341_297817fac8_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50670292378_fb6c773254_b.jpg
View Quote

Your Agency doesnt require buis on duty rifles?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:45:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKocher] [#36]
…..
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered a stripped Colt 6933 barrel for $252.00 shipped and got a Geissele Super Gas Block off the EE here. Already have my Colt 6920 lower (Form 1 incoming). Very excited for this build, just have to keep my eyes peeled for the MK4 Federal Rail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:10:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I hate to keep posting in this thread without having a complete build to show off, but this is my all time favorite clone build and something I'm piecing together. So...question:

It appears the only "in the wild" clone correct grips are A2 or Hogue. Not bad options but, without combing through 60+ pages, have we seen individual used Magpul or other variants?

Also: Magpul AFG2 seems to be pretty standard. Have we actually seen any other AFG or VFG on issued rifles? Either HRT, Regional, or Individual Officer? Magpul VFG, BCM stubby, KAC broomstick? Just curious.

And, while I'm crapping on this thread without pics: what buffer is everyone running unsuppressed? My agency doesn't currently allow suppressors, so I'll be running a Colt 6933 11.5 barrel, Geissele Super Gas Block, and was thinking of starting with an H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue Spring.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate to keep posting in this thread without having a complete build to show off, but this is my all time favorite clone build and something I'm piecing together. So...question:

It appears the only "in the wild" clone correct grips are A2 or Hogue. Not bad options but, without combing through 60+ pages, have we seen individual used Magpul or other variants?

Also: Magpul AFG2 seems to be pretty standard. Have we actually seen any other AFG or VFG on issued rifles? Either HRT, Regional, or Individual Officer? Magpul VFG, BCM stubby, KAC broomstick? Just curious.

And, while I'm crapping on this thread without pics: what buffer is everyone running unsuppressed? My agency doesn't currently allow suppressors, so I'll be running a Colt 6933 11.5 barrel, Geissele Super Gas Block, and was thinking of starting with an H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue Spring.
View Quote

H2 my brudda.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I was running Spikes T2 and Sprinco Blue with the .070" gas port Colt heavy barrel 11.5. It ran pretty smooth but I always thought I could've ran slightly heavier buffer/spring, even more so if you have a larger GP 6933 barrel. I think those are .076"?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#41]
im running an h2 with milspec spring, fine so far
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone here running the colt 6933 barrel with a can? Did you have to mess with the gas port any?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone here running the colt 6933 barrel with a can? Did you have to mess with the gas port any?
Thanks
View Quote

I ran a true 6933 thin profile .625" gas block journal with .070 gas port with a can.   No issues...a bit gassy.  Comparable to a MK18.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

I ran a true 6933 thin profile .625" gas block journal with .070 gas port with a can.   No issues...a bit gassy.  Comparable to a MK18.
View Quote

@JonnyUtah427 was that an older factory Colt 6933 barrel .625 with a .070 gas port?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

@JonnyUtah427 was that an older factory Colt 6933 barrel .625 with a .070 gas port?
View Quote

I should have been more clear in my post.  Let me rephrase.  It was a true thin profile Colt that started out as a 16" barrel, and was cut to 11.5 and gas port drilled out all by JT.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#46]
Mine is a current product 6933. Any idea what the gas port size is on current ones?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Mine is a current product 6933. Any idea what the gas port size is supposed to be?
View Quote

Current 6933 barrels are .074
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Thanks.
I guess I will get a brt gas tube and see how that goes.
What size should I get? I will mostly be shot with a surefire RC.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FONTY] [#49]

Thanks.
I guess I will get a brt gas tube and see how that goes.
What size should I get? I will mostly be shot with a surefire RC.
View Quote

I use a BRT#7(.069) gas tube which is equivalent to a .067 gas port with no suppressor. I wouldn’t go smaller if your gonna run it un-suppressed at all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

I use a BRT#7(.069) gas tube which is equivalent to a .067 gas port with no suppressor. I wouldn’t go smaller if your gonna run it un-suppressed at all.
View Quote

I ended up just ordering the EZTUNE mix car.
That’s what they recommend for 50/50 use.
Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top