User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Posted: 11/24/2018 9:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARogueNinja]
This thread will be dedicated to builds and discussions of the FBI clones and thanks to Geissele for listening to the masses and releasing the much coveted rail. Parts lists will be updated as we go.  Please keep it on topic and post pictures of your builds and "in the wild" photos.

Barrel:  Colt 11.5" barrels &  others since there was already a mix of stuff out there between the different offices, prior to the upgrade starting.
Lower:  Colt/ some older DOJ contract RRA lowers, among others.
Grip:  ERGO/ Hogue/ A2
Upper:  Most of the uppers appear to be Colt marked.
Rail:  Troy and Geissele, seems like the main colors for the MK4 rail are Black and OD, unsure of the others.
Flash hider:  A2 flashhiders/ Surefire/ KAC NT4
Optics:  Aimpoint H1/T1s & H2/T2s are approved, along with the Daniel Defense mounts. The Sig Romeo4 red dot was also approved and is being used by some other federal agencies too. Spuhr mounts for Aimpoints for HRT guns.
EOTech EXPS 3 & G33 Magnifier
Sights:  Troy BUIS/ Magpul MBUS
Laser: L3 AN/ PEQ 15
Stock: CTRs  
Sling:  VTAC 2 points/ Magpul MS
Light:  WMLs/ Surefire Scout

More info here: Industry Thread
Originally Posted By mbpike:
Originally Posted By GS5414:
Alright homies. I'm going to drop some knowledge, and then ghost.

Folks generally got a handle on the right parts.

Right now, the FBI has stopped throwing out their T2s/Spuhr mounts because folks are starting to regret replacing them with the ROMEO RDS. Things aren't holding up to abuse and long life. Who knew. You'll see the Aimpoint make a comeback.

Also, nobody in this thread has the right gas block.

Geissele gas blocks are used on the FBI guns, but they are port restricted gas blocks, as in the ports aren't drilled all the way out. We used them in the USMC for some of the souped up M4s, at both 0.072" restricted for 14.5" guns (a bit too small), and 0.068" restricted for 10.3" guns. The FBI uses 0.067" restricted blocks. I think I have one of them stashed away that I never managed to use - might take a photo of it if I can find it. They do a good job keeping gas port erosion from affecting function of the guns as the barrels burn out. Keeps carrier speeds lower, recoil is a bit softer.

They are not sold commercially, or even talked about for that matter.

If you want the same function, take a G block and thread it for a BRT Micro Tune 0.067" port insert.

I'm out.

S/F
View Quote

Lets get this added to the OP.
View Quote

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Not a clone. Large regional SWAT. Skinny commando barrel.

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Indeed. When I said 'not a clone' by that I meant it's a picture of a real upper, sat on a desk in a large regional FBI training facility, not something I made at home.
View Quote

Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Originally Posted By AZgunner:
I haven't decided if I'm doing the clone correct green rail, or if I'll do the same setup but in all black. It depends on where I'm at in a few months. If I need to give my current rifle back and use the FBI clone on duty, I need to do it in black, as only all black color schemes are currently authorized.
View Quote

A black rifle can be completely clone correct, it would just represent a regular agent's rifle, not HRT or Regional SWAT. This thread started as a result of the interest in the green Geissele Mk4 handguards that showed up on Regional SWAT rifles, but all four Geissele colors are in use by the FBI. People are just (understandably) a bit fixated on the green ones because they look great. That's led to what a lot of people are doing, which is combining the features of the HRT and SWAT rifles into a mixed clone (SWAT green handguard and CTR stock, HRT heavy barrel, and Spuhr HRT Aimpoint mount).

I think it would be great if @ARogueNinja could update the original post to reflect the four FBI variants that are out there (these details are incomplete and could be a little off):

HRT: DDC Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt HRT heavy barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Spuhr mount (not sure about the stock), black or FDE(?) CTR or Colt stock

Regional SWAT: OD Green Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Daniel Defense mount, OD green CTR or Colt stock

Vehicle Teams: Grey Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Sig Romeo, FAB Defense PTK AFG, Maxim Defense collapsible stock

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1182/green___grey_M4_carbines_jpg-1584398.JPG

Field Agent: Black Mk4 handguard, 11.5" Colt LE6933 government profile barrel, Aimpoint T-2 on Daniel Defense mount or Sig Romeo, black CTR or Colt stock

I think this is a grey Mk4 issued to hrt4me but is (I believe) representative of the standard agent rifle configuration. I don't recall seeing any photos in this thread of a regular agent's carbine:

https://i.imgur.com/A6UVttH.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol I did read that. It’s probably better to hear from Joe Shmoe at this point lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
In case anybody is curious about the current Colt BCGs from Shark the following are some pictures from the one I purchased at the end of July.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is how it was shipped to me. It is covered in dry film lube ? The outside of the package was covered in it also. I think the BGC wore a small hole in the packaging and USPS taped over it during transit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It does have a very light "C" stamp on it. Also the bolt has a very light "MPC" mark on it .
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

WTF?
Is that charcoal?
View Quote
Lol, it’s  weird... I can pick it up and nothing will come off on my hands. Look at my picture above and you will see that I  scraped the coating off with my fingernail to expose the “C” on the BCG. The bolt itself does not have the coating on it.Attachment Attached File

I guess I’ll clean it up and see if it comes off?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Yeah the markings are very light. I just shot some gun scrubber and Hoppes #9 on it. Some of it came off. It’s odd that the rag I used didn’t show any black residue after I cleaned it. Maybe they are seconds?

Attachment Attached File

This is the shipping envelope it came in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Doubt they are seconds. Actually damn lucky to score them with markings, TBH. I'm sure there is an explanation as to what the black shit is, I just have zero clue.
View Quote
Yeah, very happy to get one that has markings. Also I’m not trying to bash SAC or seem upset. Just sharing pictures for everyone. I have no doubt that the barrel and BGC will run faultlessly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
that black residue is odd, mine didn't have anything like it.  But at least the BCG looks good to go.  My C and MPC were very faint as well
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Doubt they are seconds. Actually damn lucky to score them with markings, TBH. I'm sure there is an explanation as to what the black shit is, I just have zero clue.
View Quote
At this point, I think I’d be afraid to see what Colt seconds look like.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
What Colt lower Is most clone correct?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I got impatient waiting on AU to report on the gas port size, so I tore open my niw barrel to measure the port size. Now, I’m not some fancy Joe Schmo or anything... but my findings were similar to other posters. My virgin contract barrel roughly measured .069. The AU contract barrel was roughly .074~.073. I used a super precise toothpick to force into the gas port. By pressing the toothpick into the gas port, it compressed the wood together. Once I could move the toothpick in and out semi easily, I measured with a digital caliper.

Let me put it this way, what fit in the AU contract gas port didn’t fit in my other contract barrel gas port.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 5:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BROK3N-AR] [#15]
Originally Posted By supermanct:
View Quote
I’d also like to know this. I ended up going with a restricted marked lower. I’m sticking with this one but wonder what the TRUE correct markings are. Full auto, but read some not because of the ssa trigger

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BROK3N-AR:

I’d also like to know this. I ended up going with a restricted marked lower. I’m sticking with this one but wonder what the TRUE correct markings are. Full auto, but read some not because of the ssa trigger

https://i.imgur.com/SPf63cL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j2ZLnLm.jpg
View Quote
I think the ones with SSAs in them are still select fire guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I think the ones with SSAs in them are still select fire guns.
View Quote
Ya that’s why I meant. Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: packinkimber45] [#18]
Got my build parts acquisition started!

ODG rail received.  Now waiting on hrt barrel and bcg from shark arms to ship.

Upper’s going to be sweet!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By packinkimber45:

View Quote
Congrats. This one is a fun one for sure. Expensive for me but worth it.

I just filed my form 1 2 days ago. As soon as it comes back, I can assemble
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Charging handle ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Charging handle ?
View Quote
99% sure they just use a standard Mil-Spec colt charge handle. I choose to go with a Geissele USASOC ch for mine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#22]

View Quote
No offense, but I still see a lot of people going with the not-clone-correct ODG handguard and heavy HRT barrel combination. Do most folks prefer the heavier barrel, is it because it says “FBI” in the barrel name, or is it just that those barrels are readily available right now and the ODG looks good? Just curious. It seems like everyone is interested in getting other parts “clone correct” but not concerned about the barrel / handguard combination.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#24]
No offense, but I still see a lot of people going with the not-clone-correct ODG handguard and heavy HRT barrel combination. Do most folks prefer the heavier barrel, is it because it says “FBI” in the barrel name, or is it just that those barrels are readily available right now and the ODG looks good? Just curious. It seems like everyone is interested in getting other parts “clone correct” but not concerned about the barrel / handguard combination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is the most incorrect clone thread I’ve ever been in, I’m guessing most guys just don’t care.

My barrel is incorrect also, so I’m not throwing stones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Readily available, heavy profile barrel, and ready to go out of the bag with the correct port. I really like shooting my 11.5 colt barrel. It is soft shooting, not too gassy, and very accurate with the heavy profile.

It feels like a 14.5 socom barrel but shorter.

Green anodized is just awesome looking. These are not clones though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packinkimber45] [#26]

View Quote
No offense taken or any hurt feelers here.  My build will not be clone correct and I'm ok with that.  I'm trying to stay as close as I can, I guess the clone I was going after was for the regional swat since that's what the ODG color was for, off course not the same barrel.  For me the barrel I got is for the same reasons tigwelder and jl audio pointed out.  Barrel profile, length, reports of how they shoot, proper gas port size, and availability.  I'm using this upper for my colt m16 lower, the heavy profile barrel for me fits the bill for this purpose.  If all that makes mine not a correct clone so be it lol.

And yes the green anodized rail is just awesome.

View Quote
It is definitely becoming an expensive build but worth it to me as well.  Right on, how long are form 1's taking these days?  My form 1 was years ago.  Ever since, it's been form 4's that I've been filing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#27]

View All Quotes

I have one of the earlier clones in the thread and it is by far my favorite SBR.   I did go off the cloner rails though and made some adjustments to suit me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By packinkimber45: Right on, how long are form 1's taking these days?  My form 1 was years ago.  Ever since, it's been form 4's that I've been filing.
View Quote
My last Eform 1 last month was 19 days from filing, 16 from the time they got my prints. I had a few around 10 days earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow thats quick!  Ive been out of the loop with nfa lately, thats great time frames.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#30]
My clone isn’t really a clone at all. I just liked the Mk4 rail and last Black Friday when the OD came available I jumped. I don’t think anything besides the rail on my gun is clone-worthy. But I don’t care. It’s my favorite SBR.

As far as E-file Form 1s, I had a couple in June that were like 10 days and my most recent a couple weeks ago was just over 2 weeks.

I’d bet there’s been a significant increase in E-Form 1s with the recent talk of pistol braces being reclassified.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Also want to know
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow thats quick!  Ive been out of the loop with nfa lately, thats great time frames.
View Quote
Ya it is pretty fast with the efile. I can’t wait till we can efile the form 4. That would change so much. I’m waiting on one now and even went as far as form 1’ing my own cans because I don’t want to wait.

With this clone, from the start I tried to stay correct other then the barrel, but then every single new picture that pops up in the wild has a different setup. As far as I know right now, the things I did wrong was the odg grip instead of black, no afg because they are ugly as hell, and did the odg USASOC ch. And the obvious, my lower is just a restricted colt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Got this is the mail today. Went with USA optics because they offered free shipping over Milehigh

Now I just need to find a good deal on a T2 and I’m done. Thank god

Link Posted: 8/19/2019 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Got this is the mail today. Went with USA optics because they offered free shipping over Milehigh

Now I just need to find a good deal on a T2 and I’m done. Thank god

https://i.imgur.com/Gi7gvVX.jpg
View Quote
Does it have HRT engraved on it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CFDFFEMT:

Does it have HRT engraved on it?
View Quote
Sure does.

Here is the link to it.

Hrt Spuhr Mount
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Sure does.

Here is the link to it.

Hrt Spuhr Mount
View Quote
Thanks ! I just spoke to their CS. I ordered one. They have one more left.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CFDFFEMT:

Thanks ! I just spoke to their CS. I ordered one. They have one more left.
View Quote
Glad I could help. I was worried I would just get the normal one without the HRT on it but it is all good
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Glad I could help. I was worried I would just get the normal one without the HRT on it but it is all good
View Quote
$10 more a letter
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
$10 more a letter
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

$10 more a letter
How much more is C-O-L-T a letter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Hey, if anyone is interested there a thread on Pistol-Forum stating Lipseys will be selling the G17M.

So if you want THE FBI pistol to go with your FBI clone gun, you may be in luck.
View Quote
What’s so different about the M compared to my gen5? Looks the same other then the letter
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#42]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Hey, if anyone is interested there a thread on Pistol-Forum stating Lipseys will be selling the G17M.

So if you want THE FBI pistol to go with your FBI clone gun, you may be in luck.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know where I can get this OD Green rail?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#46]
One listed on GB right now for $1200 current bid. That's crazy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 9:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#47]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:20:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldbrowndog] [#48]
Not a clone, but working on finishing it up. LMT MARS-L lower, Colt upper, HRT barrel with dimpling done by Marvin Pitts, CT Warcomp, Geissele ODG ACH, LMT E-BCG, and LMT 2-stage trigger, G Super 42 spring and H1 buffer.

Need to drop a Form 1, get some KAC BUIS and decide on an optic - leaning EOTech EXPS 3-0, but also thinking about a T2 or Comp M5 on a high-rise type mount.

Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:
Not a clone, but working on finishing it up. LMT MARS-L lower, Colt upper, HRT barrel with dimpling done by Marvin Pitts, CT Warcomp, Geissele ODG ACH, LMT E-BCG, and LMT 2-stage trigger, G Super 42 spring and H1 buffer.

Need to drop a Form 1, get some KAC BUIS and decide on an optic - leaning EOTech EXPS 3-0, but also thinking about a T2 or Comp M5 on a high-rise type mount.

https://i.imgur.com/UcJzEWG.jpg
View Quote
That barre is awesome. Any chance you got before and after weight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Well I screwed up. I thought I was completely done. Only thing I’m waiting on is my upper and lower I sent out to @elucidate for engraving and to be re anodized... well today I decided to look into my lower a little more only to find out it was made before 2009 and it’s a restricted lower. So that means it has the large pin holes. I bought a standard pin SSA trigger. So there goes another 300 bucks for a new one unless someone just so happens to be sitting on one
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top