Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2018 5:22:57 PM EDT
I'm wanting a 14.5", mid gas (.750 gas block journal) barrel, with FSB, that comes with a Manimal flash hider pinned. (Manimal looks like an A2 but has an OD just smaller than .750 so you can strip the barrel and slide everything over the pinned flash hider).  And I want to just order it - I hate buying parts and then turning around and shipping them off elsewhere to be pinned.  I have no patience.  Also, I like being able to strip the barrel as handguard preferences change - I can do a 2-piece with USGI nut and Delta ring, or strip it and install a free float that uses a proprietary barrel nut, etc etc - Options are good.

BCM, Spikes, Faxon, Ballistic Advantage all offer some options for pinning muzzle devices, but none seem to offer the Manimal as an option.  Which is surprising to me, seems like a no-brainer.  I know Faxon offers some low profile pinned FH options, but none of them are blowing my skirt up.  I can get pretty close to what I'm after, but either it doesn't have a pinned FSB, or has a pinned flash hider that won't allow FSB removal (to allow different barrel nuts).

So, short of buying the pile of parts I want and shipping them to ADCO, is anybody aware of barrel makers that offer this configuration/option (or would assemble custom for a nominal fee)?

Anybody have better/similar options I haven't stumbled across yet?

Alternatively, why is this FH not SOP for barrel makers that offer device pinning?  Seems like it should be the most popular/standard option.

this:

plus this:

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
VT Supply had a couple Voodoo 14.5" pinned barrels in stock the other day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the replies fellas, but none of those have an FSB.  Those were ones I already found that were "close but no cigar".

Am I nuts in thinking this should be a more popular set-up?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I think your best bet would be to buy your barrel with the FSB installed (Ballistic Advantage offers this) and then send it to someplace like ADCO for the pin and weld.  It's not going to be cheap.  Ballistic Advantage typically has Holiday sales, so you might want to wait another week or so before you order anything.

Another option would be to just buy an already pin and welded A2 barrel assembly and forgo the Manimal.

Who's got the best price on the Manimal anyways?  I'm seeing $50 just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate the replies fellas, but none of those have an FSB.  Those were ones I already found that were "close but no cigar".

Am I nuts in thinking this should be a more popular set-up?
View Quote
Somewhat You should contact ADCO and see if they can put together what you want for a one time purchase/shipping. For whatever reason it seems that the manimal FH concept never really caught on with the mainstream market. Sadly Adams Arms seems to be doing away with their Voodoo Innovations line as a whole. It's anyone's guess at this point if these parts will remain available.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the Manimal FH on a rifle, and it is VERY cool. Should have been a lot more popular. Only issue with it is the crush washer.... the one supplied won't crush for timing. Ended up using a standard one. I think nitriding the washer hardens it to where it won't flex/ crush properly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Have your parts shipped directly to ADCO. I'm pretty sure they've let me do that before. Saved me money on shipping since all my stuff was going straight to them instead of coming to me first. Call them up and see if they're still cool with doing this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one of the Manimal FH on a rifle, and it is VERY cool. Should have been a lot more popular. Only issue with it is the crush washer.... the one supplied won't crush for timing. Ended up using a standard one. I think nitriding the washer hardens it to where it won't flex/ crush properly.
View Quote
Funny you say that. I recently used a VDI JetComp on my .308 build and had the same issue. I'd have been a bit upset had I not had a bag of Strike Ind. washers in my parts bin. Their washer had zero give when I tried to time the brake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a build in mind last year and it included the barrel / manimal combo from Joe Bob's. They were out of stock even then. I like the slim diameter and would think it would be popular. The Manimal is available by itself. They sure are proud of it though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#11]
ADCO charges $85 plus shipping to pin the manimal.

It was a good concept in theory. I did buy one but never used it.  In the end I would rather build my upper the way I want it and then have the muzzle device of my choice pinned. If you are planning to change out your upper that much, just get a 16” instead.

With the current buyers market for all things AR, you could do a 14.5” pinned with FSB and a 16” with LPGB and never have to worry about needing to remove the FS.

BTW- it is my understanding that using a standard crush washer may prevent you from removing the gb/fsb because the crush washer may be past 0.750.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ADCO charges $85 plus shipping to pin the manimal.

It was a good concept in theory. I did buy one but never used it.  In the end I would rather build my upper the way I want it and then have the muzzle device of my choice pinned. If you are planning to change out your upper that much, just get a 16” instead.

With the current buyers market for all things AR, you could do a 14.5” pinned with FSB and a 16” with LPGB and never have to worry about needing to remove the FS.

BTW- it is my understanding that using a standard crush washer may prevent you from removing the gb/fsb because the crush washer may be past 0.750.
View Quote
Actually this is kind of what led me to here, lol.  I have too many freaking AR's and am looking for ways to downsize while keeping the versatility I want.  AR's are like potato chips, nobody can have just one, but I'm out of room in the safe dammit!

ETA: thanks whoever reccommended shipping straight to ADCO - I'll look into that.  It's sad, but the having to repackage and ship etc is really the step I want to avoid.  Hate doing that shit, dunno why.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top