Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2018 9:47:23 AM EDT
I’m in the market for a new 16” carbine barrel with fsb. The two barrels I’m mainly looking at are Andro and green mountain. I’ve heard a lot great things about green mountain but haven’t seen as much info on Andro. The few things I’ve read about Andro have been positive though.

So this AR is just a plinker fun rifle. No need for pin point accuracy or the best barrel produced today. But like most, I enjoy a quality product.  It’s going on an A2 upper.  My budget I’ve set is $200ish.

Are there other barrels you suggest instead of the two I’m considering?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Very happy with my Green Mountain barrels. I assume you're looking at the GM-M51? I can't speak to your other options but you'll be happy if you go with Green Mountain.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Green Mountain makes their own barrels and is good to go.

Andro Corp. sources their barrels from others (Ballistic Advantage) and should be good to go.

AFAIK.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm the exact opposite of the poster above.   No experience with GM barrels.  But I can
say that my Andro 16" free float barreled upper is one of my favorites.  Reliable and more
accurate than I am.  It never disappoints using plinking ammo.  Scary accurate with my hand loads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy either with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 10.3 andro barrel, so far it's great. Haven't had it very long. I wished they sold a chromed lined barrel. But this has been good.

When building my 20in I was looking very hard at at green mountain and heard very good things. Went with a different company though, they're great too.

Just curious though, with a 16in barrel on your a2 receiver, are you doing some type of black hawk down inspired thing or jist using the parts you have around?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info guys.

I like 16” and I have an a2 that I thought it would be fun to build on. Like I said, it’s purely just a fun gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Andro is BA which you can find for $100 these days.

Never used GM.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GM first.

DsArms second. No Ando experience, but I hear nothing but good.
View Quote
This, though I do have Andro experience. They were a better deal a couple years ago, but now not so much.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to shoot in New Hampshire with the owner of Green Mountain—he’s a damn good shot & makes quality barrels.  In fact, he makes barrels for many major manufacturers’ guns.  The only thing that upsets GM is cold hammer forged barrels, which is what I prefer these days.  But i’ve happily shot 6 or more GM barrels—accurate & still shooting well these many years.

I don’t know jack about the other company.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
As I have also posted elsewhere, if I could have only one AR to bet my life on, it would have a Green Mountain GM-M8 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
This is from my Green mountain GM-18 barrel at 100 yards.  I am extremely happy with this barrel

Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get a WOA service rifle profile on sale for $200. Shop around.

Green Mountain is considered good for an economy barrel.

DPMS sells a blackened SS 18" dmr barrel for around $200.

Rock River Arms and Armalite ss match barrels are not too expensive and shoot very well.

I personally buy $275 and up barrels because I want more than the bottom of the barrel (pun intended) models. Why put a rifle together with a cheap barrel? I want the most accurate barrel I can afford.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Both solid choices. Andro barrels are made by Ballistic advantage
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get a WOA service rifle profile on sale for $200. Shop around.

Green Mountain is considered good for an economy barrel.

DPMS sells a blackened SS 18" dmr barrel for around $200.

Rock River Arms and Armalite ss match barrels are not too expensive and shoot very well.

I personally buy $275 and up barrels because I want more than the bottom of the barrel (pun intended) models. Why put a rifle together with a cheap barrel? I want the most accurate barrel I can afford.
View Quote
Completely second this.

Not sure about RRA and Armalite but definitely recommend WOA. Still to this day the most accurate AR15 barrel I’ve shot was a WOA 18” SPR with Black Hills 77gr.

ETA:  re read that pin point accuracy is not needed. For a carbine that gets harder use I would still love for something along the lines of FN, DD, etc
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Green Mountain barrels are amazing. At one point, half of my AR's had green mountain barrels.
Great price point for an awesome barrel.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd love to see what some hand loads could do out of my barrel but I don't reload.  sub moa from factory ammo I'm good with that
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I would choose Green Mountain if a general use gun because i prefer chrome lined over nitride.  Nothing wrong with nitride, just my preference.  The Green Mountain barrels are known to be very accurate as well.  i believe they supply the barrels for Sionics and the one i have shoots MOA.  the benefit from Sionics is they MPI and radiograph their barrels to ensure quality.  Really happy with mine
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the help guys. I’ve got a few weeks before I order anything but it’ll probably be the green mountain
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two AR's one with a GM 16" and another with a GM 20" and love them both.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote here for Green Mountain.  I've had a couple GM and a couple Ballistic Advantage barrels. BA is fine, but I prefer chrome lining and GM makes a damn good barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top