Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 11:04:50 AM EDT
OK, I am having a bit of trouble trying to match a barrel(s) to my needs.

I am in the process of building an AR for me and one for my eldest daughter, while collecting parts for my younger daughter until she is old enough.  I have all three lowers.  

The requirements for the guns are pretty simple.  Range practice/informal steel to 200 yards or so.  I have a single shot .223 for varmints, however my gun could see some light use for that as well, but not very likely.  I figure that if my single shot gun kicked the bucket (can't get parts easily for it, so that is a possibility) then I would work on more precision set up or get a bolt gun of some sort. I also have a 300 blk pistol and we have more appropriate game guns.

I have no plans to run heavies, and I have lots of 50 grain ammo around.  I do reload.  I want them to be fairly light -under 8 lbs with a dot or low power scope.  Not including magazine.  

I have read that a mid length gas would have a softer recoil impulse, than a carbine gas. I can find a lightweight mid length, but they are almost entirely 1:7, which seems a bit fast for my needs. 1:9 seems more appropriate. I can find 1:9 but they are carbine gas.  

Then the profiles.   I see mid weight, govt, lightweight, and m4.  It seems that the government and midweight are almost identical and the m4 is a trimmed down mid weight.  The lightweight seems to be lighter yet. Am I correct in this?  

Then I have a question on the bcg's.  I have read on one source that 16" carbine gas and shorter recommended full auto bcg(which I have in my pistol). 16" mid and longer recommend a semi bcg.  Is this correct thinking?  Will I run into issues should I decide to got full auto bcg with a 16" mid?  I like the idea of having all the guns run similar parts.

I have no plans to build $1k AR's.  I just need them to work, and they don't need to do one hole at 100 yards.

My inclination is to go with a lightweight mid 16" barrel and full auto bcg to be run with a carbine stock, spring and buffer.  The twist "problem" may just be a stigma for me and have no real meaning.   Should this combo work or will I need to make adjustments to that plan?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people do claim middies are softer; subjective and if there is a difference, it is small.  That said, no reason not to go with a middie.  Unless you are going for ultimate accuracy I wouldn't worry about the twist rate:  1:7 will shoot anything well.

As for profile, I would go with something like BCM's Enhanced LW; here.  

Everyone runs full-auto BCGs these days.

The configuration you list is perfect.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
As for a barrel, I recommend looking into the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrel. It is a 1/8 twist. They are still $225 and, according to the last word I saw from Mark LaRue, they will be this price until the end of the year and them they go back to regular price.

LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrel

I used one for a recent build I did. This build comes in at 6 lbs. 2.8 ozs. with an empty 30-round polymer magazine.

Attachment Attached File

As far as BCGs go, All I run on my ARs is the full-auto M16 type versions. It makes no difference if it is a carbine, mil-length, or rifle gas system. It works great with any system. I do shoot full-powered factory loads like the M193 55 gr., M855 62 gr., and Mk262 77 gr. OTM. Some guys, like 3-Gunners, will run lighter bolt carriers with lighter custom loads and have their gas system tuned for those loads.

Something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input so far guys.  

The loads I have were worked up in my previous AR which I traded off.  They were .5 grains over my varmint rig load, and 1.5 grains under max.  I had also tested those loads in the varmint rig while working up a load for it, and knew it was safe, so I just left it be.  

I will start some more serious research on the barrels now that I have it narrowed down some.  I also have to wait for Christmas to get over before I start buying more gun stuff
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Twist rate doesn't matter if you are sure you never want to try anything heavier than 50 grains. A 1/7 or 1/8 twist will still shoot light bullets into tiny little groups and allow you to try the heavier bullets some time in the future. 1/9 twist is stuck in the 1980's when the heaviest bullet on the market was the 69 grain SMK.

I would buy a barrel, bolt and bolt carrier from White Oak Armament and call it a day. The full-auto BCG won't hurt a thing. You may have to balance the action out with heavier buffers. I personally can hardly tell the difference in recoil impulse between carbine and mid-length gas systems when shooting.  

Unless you want a really light rifle WOA's SPR barrels are some of the best I have ever fired. I always recommend their barrels first. They are a mid-weight profile, not light by any means, however the weight will reduce felt recoil if that's an issue for your daughter. Check out Rainier Arms barrels, they have a wide variety of quality barrels to choose from too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top