BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 6/27/2015 2:12:11 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

A forum member asked me if I would give some insight into how our M4's handle on the range because I've started threads on the AK's, pistols and .50 Barretts.

Here's a little background on what we do. We operate a high-volume range in Las Vegas. You can't bring your personal weapons in and rent lanes for an hour. Customers use only our weapons and our ammo. We only use factory new ammo and zero reloads. We keep maintenance log on EACH and every weapon to include cleanings, parts replaced and any other issues that need to be noted. We shoot approximately 400,000 rounds down range each month and the numbers have actually gone up a bit for May and June. Tourists get to shoot everything from Type 99 Arisaka's, M1 Garand C and D's, MP-44's, G43's, M2HB's, 240's, 249's, MG42's, MG34's, M-14's, Luger's, Swedish K's, M203's, M79's and you get the point. Some weapons are very rare historical weapons that rarely come out of collections or museums and see the light of day.

Here are some "facts" about OUR experience with M4's on the range.

- Some of our M4's have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG's have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47's is that upper and lower receivers continue to function. AK's get to about the 100,000+ round count and rails on the receiver will start to crack. It's an easy fix with tig welding but they crack. We have yet to lose an upper or lower receiver from cracking.

- We get about 20,000 rounds out of bolts before we start experiencing issues. The headspace gauge will start getting closing on NO-GO but not close on field. We will lose a lug on the bolt. The bolt will start skipping over rounds in the magazine and fail to insert a round. We use LMT and Daniel Defense bolts and some will actually go longer but at about 20,000 rounds is when we will start to see issues appear.

- Gas tubes will erode away at the FSB after 12+ months

- Charging handles will "stretch" allowing the locking lever and spring to fly out

- Hammer pins and disconnectors on the 8.5" full-auto's will break after approximately 4,000-5,000 rounds regardless of the buffer weight

- We have yet to lose a single flash hider as compared to muzzle brakes on an AK-47. The muzzle brakes will literally split in half, looking a like bird with his beak open and go flying down range.

- We no longer use ANY piston conversions or factory pistons guns with the exception of the HK-416 "knock-off" TDI upper. I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn't last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000's of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn't keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don't know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that's all I got from it. I purchased two of the 14.5" TDI knock-offs approximately 6-8 weeks ago and they have been on the line daily with ZERO issues. I only purchased them because people will come in specifically request the "416" and even they've never handled a weapon their entire lives, they KNOW that the top half isn't the "416 like in COD/MW".

- USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines.

- Cleaning bolts and carriers is such a pain in the ass as compared to our AK's, G36's, SCAR's, ACR's and most other platforms. We throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green (EPA, OSHA and disposal concerns for us) and they never full remove the carbon from the bolts. The armorers spend so much time cleaning them and keeping all the parts together as compared to most other platforms.

- The only piston system to last on the range so far is the HK416 and TD415 system. Ever other systems we have tried has failed in one way or another. I won't say who's broke or how they broke so PLEASE don't ask. Each mfg has their own system for cleaning intervals and we may not follow their way. We have a way of cleaning and keeping records that suits our needs because of so much use.

- There is company that has an AR system that has some "parts don't need lubrication" and that failed before the end of the first day. I don't think some mfg's understand that people REALLY use their weapons and when you're rocking full-auto all day they NEED lubrication. My armorers and RSO's were laughing when it seized it up because we knew there was NO way it would last on our range.

- The parts that we see break more often are the bolt cam, bolt lugs shearing off, firing pins and gas keys shearing off the bolt carrier.

These are just a few of the things that I can think of on the top of my head. Please feel free to ask questions and I will try to respond sooner than later depending on my schedule.

V/R
Ron

ps: I am sure there are some grammatical errors as I tend to read the words into a sentence that are not there. Some sort of dyslexia-type of issue that plagued me through eight years of college.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kikken:
I'm just a guy with a bunch of ARs, but I can definitely tell a difference in accuracy between my melonite and CL barrels.  I have two CL, an FN/PSA HF and a BCM BFH, and a bunch of melonite barrels from PSA.  The melonite barrels produce tighter groups without question.

It is interesting to hear that the CL last ~twice as long though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kikken:
Originally Posted By MS556:

While this sarcastic post is off topic, it is also based on an implied false fact.  Actually world class benchrest barrels in the top levels of competition are now being nitrided to extend barrel life.  Those single point cut rifling custom barrels lose their super sub MOA (well below .2 MOA) accuracy very quickly.  These single round loaded bolt gun barrels are being nitrided after break in to extend their usable life.  One should be careful with facts when using sarcasm.

Back to the point, thanks Ron for confirming that chrome lining is holding up about twice as long as nitride in your experience.  Your reluctance to wade into this thorny subject is also appreciated.  The typical back yard warrior or weekend range shooter with no FA or burst fire switch and not interested in bump fire or mag dumps will probably never see the extreme conditions your rifles are subjected to.  Such lighter use would probably never produce data to support a difference in barrel life.

It is reasonable to infer that those who do mag dumps and use bump fire semi auto stocks will benefit from CL barrels, while those placing more emphasis on accuracy might gravitate to more precisely rifled barrels with nitride hardening.
I'm just a guy with a bunch of ARs, but I can definitely tell a difference in accuracy between my melonite and CL barrels.  I have two CL, an FN/PSA HF and a BCM BFH, and a bunch of melonite barrels from PSA.  The melonite barrels produce tighter groups without question.

It is interesting to hear that the CL last ~twice as long though.
I'm not surprised in a full auto application.

I'll still pick a nice melonited barrel over chrome lined for anything that I don't intend to do a bunch of mag dumps through, though.   They shoot better, they're easier to keep rust-free under free float handguards, and the cost of the barrels vs. the cost of the ammo makes them pretty much a non-issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MS556:

It is reasonable to infer that those who do mag dumps and use bump fire semi auto stocks will benefit from CL barrels, while those placing more emphasis on accuracy might gravitate to more precisely rifled barrels with nitride hardening.
View Quote
From what I understand of both types of barrels AND in my non-scientific opinion.. yes. This whole thread was started with the intent of helping the guy/gal who may not have the biggest budget to make the purchase they really WANT and instead make the purchase they can really afford and be comfortable with.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

This would be awesome. My guess is they don't have to time to document this as they need to minimize the downtime.
View Quote
Time has become something that I don't have much of anymore. We have grown so much over the last five years that I don't get to spend as much time as I would like to with the armorers. Also, I have advised the armorers pull parts/guns more often than spending time trying to diagnose a problem. We just don't have the time to find out why a particular AR or AK is short-stroking and it's much easier to just replace them.

I do check on the armorers at least 3x daily to see what's going on and still give guidance when I see them stuck on a particular weapon. I can tell that most of my armorers eventually want to spread their wings and get their own shops so I try my hardest to help them along. I am twice the age of most of them and have many years of figuring things out and I always tell them that this is the best OJT for a future endeavor they will ever have (not trying to be conceded). If they can keep our weapons running at this fast pace, they will definitely be able to handle any work that may come through their doors in a controlled environment.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

Time has become something that I don't have much of anymore. We have grown so much over the last five years that I don't get to spend as much time as I would like to with the armorers. Also, I have advised the armorers pull parts/guns more often than spending time trying to diagnose a problem. We just don't have the time to find out why a particular AR or AK is short-stroking and it's much easier to just replace them.

I do check on the armorers at least 3x daily to see what's going on and still give guidance when I see them stuck on a particular weapon. I can tell that most of my armorers eventually want to spread their wings and get their own shops so I try my hardest to help them along. I am twice the age of most of them and have many years of figuring things out and I always tell them that this is the best OJT for a future endeavor they will ever have (not trying to be conceded). If they can keep our weapons running at this fast pace, they will definitely be able to handle any work that may come through their doors in a controlled environment.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
I wanna be an armorer for you
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

I'll still pick a nice melonited barrel over chrome lined for anything that I don't intend to do a bunch of mag dumps through, though.   They shoot better, they're easier to keep rust-free under free float handguards, and the cost of the barrels vs. the cost of the ammo makes them pretty much a non-issue.
View Quote
Why are melonited barrels easier to keep rust free?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The various nitriding processes (Melonite, Tenifer, QPQ, etc. included) leave a surface that is both extra hard and extra smooth, and is extremely corrosion resistant.

These processes are a form of case hardening, and they chemically change the surface of the metal into a form that is just not susceptible to rust.  This is because, like bluing, nitriding is an OXIDIZATION process.  The form of oxide is stable and does not react to moisture and oxygen the way plain steel does.

The flip side is that the depth of the surface treatment is pretty minimal.  It’s only about 0.008” to (at most) 0.024” thick.  That’s fine for most surfaces, but nitrided surfaces are not anywhere as heat resistant as chrome, so the bore - especially at the throat and crown - will eventually erode, and much more quickly than chrome lining will.  This leaves unprotected steel exposed, and that steel is even less heat resistant.  That’s why those chrome line barrels survive so much longer at BFV.

The erosion is way slower if you’re not running full auto, if you’re letting your barrel cool reasonably after a rapid fire string, and so on.  In a semiauto rifle, you may notice a small to zero lifespan difference, depending on how hard you are on the barrel.

Lecture over.  Thanks again, Ron, for all the work you put into this thread!
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
No kidding!  Learn from the best and getting paid to do it?  What a deal!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info in this thread.  Been shooting chrome lined MG barrels in my M16/M4 since 1986 and have had to replace only one CL barrel due to it giving up the ghost (keyholing).  That barrel was severly abused doing 100 round C-Mag dumps - sometimes 2 back to back.  Gas tubes usually melt around that point.  I started measuring erosion at the throat after extreme shooting sessions to get a feel how much wear I was getting.  Basically came to the conclusion that as long as I limit mag dumps to 20-30 round mags with a little bit of time for cooling its basically a non-issue for a long long time.  IMHO I dont think CL is really needed for a semi auto unless you are a hard charging trigger puller for hours at a time, and most of us arent.  I'd bet most barrels will outlive the shooter/gun owner these days.  Its the heat that kills barrels.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
This
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Ron for posting, there's a lot of good info that has been field tested. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chokker:
Thanks Ron for posting, there's a lot of good info that has been field tested. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
View Quote
Just wanted to repeat this sentiment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh this just got interesting.  LaRue rifles on the line perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FiremanFrank:

Oh this just got interesting.  LaRue rifles on the line perhaps?
View Quote
Nope just dillo dust in the store.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of buttstocks do you use on your AR’s, and how well do they hold up?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#17]

The whole reason I started this thread is to demonstrate to the guy or gal who doesn't have an unlimited budget AND that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good rifle. I honestly don't play favorites and it all comes down to dollars and sense to me. The things that I have to consider are "how long do they last" and "is it readily available".

I have a purchasing budget that is more than most people's yearly income but that doesn't mean I want to throw money out of the window.  We have to keep these weapons running because my staff's income depends on it. If my experiences on what wears, what breaks or doesn't break helps somebody out in budgeting for their weapon, then why worry about brand names. This started for the average shooter on a budget but now we police agencies, federal agencies and others are inquiring about how and why do things here on the range.

I wish I had more time to go over all the other systems that we have in our inventory and the problems we face with them. We are continually trying to fix everything from Mossberg/Remington pump shotguns to M1 Garands and Luger P08 pistols. I promise that I will eventually get to them but there just never seems to be enough time in the day.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Thank You Ron

This is why I have been following your thread.  Thank you for hiring retired US service veterans!
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:29:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#18]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
No kidding, whish there was a place and person running said place like you have going on the East coast.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
Exactly if he was in NC It would be a dream job
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Myrtle Beach would be a gold mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

V/R
Ron
Who cares what state, I'd pack up tomorrow Sounds like they have people way more qualified than me though.

I gotta go there someday.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Concur on Myrtle Beach, close enough I may apply.  Tired of deploying.

CD
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]

I've always tried to purchase the best quality product that I could afford, be it the most expensive or the average cost. It's worth paying for quality because though a cheap BCG may tempt some others, it just means more jamming, less happy customers, more time with the armorers, less time making money, etc. The same goes with the barrels. I was BLOWN away one day when I walked back into the armory and one of the armorers said "doc, I hope you don't get pissed but one of your original barrels is done". I was the completely opposite of mad because I couldn't believe a J&T barrel lasted that long when I've always believe the old "25,000-30,000" barrel life for an AR/M4. It opened my eyes to all the things that I read previously and never had the time or money (wife has ALWAYS held on tight to the purse strings) to go shoot 50,000 rounds down range and verify for myself.

As for night vision, I definitely have something planned for that. We purchased 162 acres of property only 20 minutes away from the Las Vegas Strip for one more level of extreme. When you visited Battlefield Vegas, your RSO may have placed all of your weapons on a cart and taken them on to the range with you. At our new place, every group will jump into a HMMWV with your weapons and an RSO. Guests will be able to shoot MK-19's, M2HB's, M240's and M-134 miniguns from HMMWV's or main battle tanks. Night shoots will be scheduled but we won't be able to "walk in" night shoots. Vegas is loaded with more Happy Hour places than anywhere else and I can't afford to put my guys in harms way with a intoxicated customer and if they are scheduled events, we can control the groups/customers that want to go out and shoot at night with tracers and night vision.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Ron,
I am sure your vets have already suggested this or it has already been posted. Your night shooting guests would thoroughly enjoy platoon size element "mad minute". There is something quite close to euphoric experience when brining all weapons systems into concerted fire! Volume + tracers = an unexplained awesome shooting experience! Great way to kick off a night in Las Vegas sequins optional!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#24]
No archives.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Does HD/BLV use any KAC SR15 or LMT CQB MRP for their ARs?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JLS81:

Ron,
I am sure your vets have already suggested this or it has already been posted. Your night shooting guests would thoroughly enjoy platoon size element "mad minute". There is something quite close to euphoric experience when brining all weapons systems into concerted fire! Volume + tracers = an unexplained awesome shooting experience! Great way to kick off a night in Las Vegas sequins optional!!
View Quote
We are in the process of doing something in that order. I haven't posted much here lately because we've been devoting so much time for an outdoor area. We've got on M60A1 main battle tank (with NFA registered main gun) that will be ready for test-firing. We are waiting on our DD license to be approved so we can start working on re-arming our Leopard 1A5's. Also, we got some flamethrowers, plenty of M203's and M79's along with a few mortars so outdoor night firing with night vision is definitely on our list of things to do.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jaramilm:
What kind of buttstocks do you use on your AR’s, and how well do they hold up?
View Quote
I believe 99% of them are the Magpul MOE stocks and we've only replaced the FDE's because they are harder to keep "looking" clean that the OD or black variants.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
View Quote
We are using the KAC SR-25 and though it doesn't rented every day, it has seen it's fair share of rounds and no issues so far.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Happy New Year Ron,

Please shoot me a email

Mark LaRue

Mark (at) LaRue (dot) com

View Quote
Mark, I apologize I never replied. This is the first time I've been on this thread since in ages. Email will be sent.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have the time to browse the forums like I used to but didn't recently read some posts about the hate for PSA products while on FB. I don't get a discount from them and we order online just like everybody else and owe them NO favors but I can tell you from our experience, those cheap complete uppers just run and run. I know that there are several subcontractors who make parts from them and I am not a liberty to discuss the details but I don't understand all the hate for PSA? Is there something that I've missed?

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paduce] [#32]
Good afternoon Ron.

Amazing goings-on in the desert.

Much appreciated if you could give an update on your PSA equipment.

Thank you and wishing you and your staff continued success.

ETA: I've seen some PSA "hate" as well and can not understand where it's coming from as well.

One post right here in the PSA Industry forum claims that you yourself have been breaking PSA bolts at an alarming rate and don't understand why. Truth?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have the time to browse the forums like I used to but didn't recently read some posts about the hate for PSA products while on FB. I don't get a discount from them and we order online just like everybody else and owe them NO favors but I can tell you from our experience, those cheap complete uppers just run and run. I know that there are several subcontractors who make parts from them and I am not a liberty to discuss the details but I don't understand all the hate for PSA? Is there something that I've missed?

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Quite simply, many people who spend $1500+ on high end rifles don’t want to believe you can get a reliable AR for less than half that. There is a lot of marketing to the same effect.

I’ve always recommended people look at PSA premium ARs and use the money they save on optics and ammo.

Thank you for the continued updates. They are very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By paduce:

One post right here in the PSA Industry forum claims that you yourself have been breaking PSA bolts at an alarming rate and don't understand why. Truth?
View Quote
I don't believe that I posted that we've broken them at an alarming rate but I can provide another piece of the puzzle that I myself wasn't even aware of.

The purchasing and moving of ammunition is not on my radar. My wife and our operations managers handle all the logistics of getting ammo in and putting it down range. During SHOT Show, we had several ammo mfg's stop by like usual and negotiate our yearly purchases. During this time, there were also some high-ranking DoD officials having a meeting with other private industry execs and the LTC was commenting on how we run our operation. I told him that we are putting 250,000-350,000 rounds down range per month, depending on the season. After that conversation, my operations manager told me that he didn't want to interrupt or correct me during the conversation but that our numbers were in the 500,000-600,000 range monthly. I was honestly shocked at the number. He started laughing and said something along the lines of "yeah boss.. why do you think we are always stressing on keeping new parts in the bins and keeping the ammo coming". My armorers no longer come to me for about 90% of the parts as they have a weekly meeting my operations manager and they get all their parts ordered. I still spend 3-4 hours every single day of the week scouring the internet and websites looking for the other 10% of the parts that have be tracked down.

So, if we are losing bolts faster than normal it's because have double the amount of ammunition we are putting down range, which relates to how much more wear and tear is being place on the weapons. I haven't heard one of the armorers ever complain about the PSA bolts. On the other hand, I have heard them request that we don't purchase parts for various weapons from certain mfg's. Again, I don't know a single soul over at PSA and have never been offered a discount but will continue to use their products because they work.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#35]
@hendersondefense

Ron,

I'm on a completely different scale from Y'all, but PSA has done very well by me for all my AR's so far.

Accurate, Reliable and Affordable.  My brother was very upset that his Colt didn't shoot as well (as accurate or as reliable) as my 1/2 price Palmetto Premium M-4 carbines.

Just curious if you have run any Sig M-400s on your range and the experience with them?

THANK YOU again Ron for sharing your real world experiences with numbers most of us could never dream to shoot in a long Long LONG time!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi again Ron.

Found a thread going right here in this forum titled: "bought a PSA upper." It's a few threads down here on this front page.

Member "Zerlak" disputed member "lazyengineer" when lazyengineer praised PSA gear.

Zerlak stated: "Actually he posted that he had numerous PSA bolts go down very early and at low round counts. He couldn't figure out what was wrong/different about them.

The Colt bolts are his longest lasting."

The "he" being you Ron.

There are some other members in the same thread ragging on PSA to various degrees.

This is where so much garbage gets into people's heads.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:02:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#37]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Nope, some people just scoff at items that are affordable so, In their minds it’s junk.  I have 2 uppers from PSA and havnt had one single issue.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
@HendersonDefense

What happened to your membership?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#39]
[Trimmed - PM sent to HD instead]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#40]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
That’s good to hear.  I don’t currevtly have any PSA stuff but I’m always tempted for budget builds.  Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Fanboys of other manufactures who are upset that your experience with PSA products invalidates almost everything about PSA they have been claiming for years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JLS81] [#42]

We are in the process of doing something in that order. I haven't posted much here lately because we've been devoting so much time for an outdoor area. We've got on M60A1 main battle tank (with NFA registered main gun) that will be ready for test-firing. We are waiting on our DD license to be approved so we can start working on re-arming our Leopard 1A5's. Also, we got some flamethrowers, plenty of M203's and M79's along with a few mortars so outdoor night firing with night vision is definitely on our list of things to do.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Unbelievable, you guys do not miss a beat. Carry on and Godspeed!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
View Quote
It would be really cool to see how the SR15/SR16 hold up at Battlefield Vegas. The longer gas system, E3 bolt made of Aermet 100 alloy, and CHF barrel should in theory give them longer service life than other AR’s.

Out of the box stock they are about the softest shooting, lightweight, and most fun AR’s I own. Definitely my wife’s favorite as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Italianstallion:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Italianstallion:
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

Late reply but - on parkerized barrels, you bake out the oil when you get them really hot, and then they'll pick up little bits of surface rust here and there.   Not really a functional problem, but about all you can do is reapply a bunch of oil and let it wick over the exterior of the barrel.

The melonited barrel exteriors are much more corrosion resistant when not oiled.

Obviously this is not a big deal if you're going to shoot out the barrel in a year or two.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#45]
Question about your contract with LMT.  Have you tried using their "Enhanced" bolts in your ARs?  They supposedly have never broken one, and you mentioned that it's cheaper for you to buy higher quality first and get more life out of it.

I'd love to see you test those out.

Those and the fully plated Chrome BCG from daniel defense.

Also, any progress on the highlighted part from your earlier post below?

...We talked about the quality of the upper as a whole after all the notes were written down in the maintenance log. They asked me my opinion about the quality and if I would purchase more. I told them for what I paid for the complete upper (it's the "premium" model with the CHF barrel), the amount of use we got out of it AND that we will still get use out of it with the addition of another bolt, I would definitely purchase more. I also told them I would like to purchase a DD, LMT and use another one of the PSA uppers (have plenty in reserves) and put them all on the line at the same time. I would want to make sure that each came off the line exactly at the same time for maintenance during the "evaluation" see which unit outlasts the other. It won't be "scientific" by any stretch because all three mfgs can't control every process involved. None of the mfr's can be 100% certain that a lot of steel is without defect, that the company handling heat-treat did everything 100% by the book and so on.

I will have an update this week or tomorrow on a brand new 9mm Colt that we put on the line 09 SEP 15 and how long it didn't last

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#46]

We are using the KAC SR-25 and though it doesn't rented every day, it has seen it's fair share of rounds and no issues so far.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Would you say an SR25 is worth the money compared to other .308 ARs with your round count and experience? Are you considering SR15s at all?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
@hendersondefense

Ron,

I'm on a completely different scale from Y'all, but PSA has done very well by me for all my AR's so far.

Accurate, Reliable and Affordable.  My brother was very upset that his Colt didn't shoot as well (as accurate or as reliable) as my 1/2 price Palmetto Premium M-4 carbines.

Just curious if you have run any Sig M-400s on your range and the experience with them?

THANK YOU again Ron for sharing your real world experiences with numbers most of us could never dream to shoot in a long Long LONG time!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
I didn't realize PSA Premium M-4 s was that cheap. I'll have to drop by PSA and get a few . SC and a Georgia run coming up .
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I didn't realize PSA Premium M-4 s was that cheap. I'll have to drop by PSA and get a few . SC and a Georgia run coming up .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
@hendersondefense

Ron,

BIGGER_HAMMER
@WarDawg

If I recall correctly, the in store pricing at PSA isn't always as good as that they offer online.

I can second the good experiences with all the parts I have sourced from PSA.  Nitride barrels, complete premium bolt carrier groups, and I think a few upper receivers.    Obviously I don't have any comparison with HD regarding round counts.  I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy that I get from PSA barrels that have cost me roughly $120 per.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Blain:
Question about your contract with LMT.  Have you tried using their "Enhanced" bolts in your ARs?  They supposedly have never broken one, and you mentioned that it's cheaper for you to buy higher quality first and get more life out of it.

View Quote
I will talk to my operations manager on Monday and get some ordered up. It would be nice to see how well they do on our range.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I will talk to my operations manager on Monday and get some ordered up. It would be nice to see how well they do on our range.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:

V/R
Ron
Count me in for an update on this.

FYI, JP Enterprises also makes an enhanced bolt. Might be worth a look.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top