Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax]
The ARES SCR

I had been thinking about buying a Beretta Rx4 / Benelli MR1 at the ridiculous post import mark up. Cool rifle, truly but I'd never pay the $2k for it that people think they're worth.

Then I discover the Ares SCR.

This is the creator's personal SCR, from what I gather.

I don't even live in a ban state. I live in Alaska. I'm certainly not over the AR15, but I've been wanting a traditional stock on a semi auto rifle for a long time, but I refuse to buy a mini14. Never owned one. Im not hating on them, I just don't want one.
I just NEEEED one of these. I figure I'll just buy the lower, since they sell them with the bolt for like $500.

Anyone else not in a ban state just love this thing?

Anyone shot it? does the recoil feel any different?

Also post pics if you got em.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking into getting a SCR or some sort but have a lot of questions on how to proceed.  I want a light compact version.  I currently have a complete GGG dominator 16" upper (including flash supressor) and would like to try and use most of the parts from that.  I would need to remove the bayonet lug and find something to replace the flash suppressor  that gives me 16" length as i am in NY.  Not sure if it's worth it or just to buy a new barrel?

Also, if i want to go with a wood buttstock do i have to use the remington 870 / 1100 or can someone modifiy a stock i already have to fit?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: caw375] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By j1r11:
Looking into getting a SCR or some sort but have a lot of questions on how to proceed.  I want a light compact version.  I currently have a complete GGG dominator 16" upper (including flash supressor) and would like to try and use most of the parts from that.  I would need to remove the bayonet lug and find something to replace the flash suppressor  that gives me 16" length as i am in NY.  Not sure if it's worth it or just to buy a new barrel?

Also, if i want to go with a wood buttstock do i have to use the remington 870 / 1100 or can someone modifiy a stock i already have to fit?
View Quote
I personally would start over and build something specific for the scr.

It’s cool that you can build one up with ar parts, but I’m not swapping uppers between the two - they are too different.

I think you can only use the 1100 wood stock to fit.  I did, and I had to enlarge the front and back inch or so of the buffer tube hole in the stock and fit it to the receiver.  It’s not hard, but you can’t just slap a 1100 stock on there.
I went with the standard stock because of looks, and I wish I would have listened to others who suggested the monte carlo for the height of cheek weld.

If you want lightweight a pencil barrel and ultralight handguards along with the factory plastic stock is the way to go.  I’m using a 16” colt pencil barrel, bcm kmr10, and slr adjustable gas block...handles like a bb gun.

ETA:  the trigger was like a BB gun until I changed the sear spring, shortened the hammer notch, added oversized pins and hammer/trigger shims!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j1r11] [#3]
Thanks.  Now I just have to find a lower somewhere.  Everyone is sold out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get them directly from Fightlight, but they are no longer making the Monte Carlo stock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
You can get them directly from Fightlight, but they are no longer making the Monte Carlo stock.
View Quote
I called them but nobody answers "leave a message".  I found a sporter lower on GB for $545 shipped.  Seems the whole country has them out of stock, most saying "no backorder".
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 84_yoda] [#6]
Here is my Ares SCR with a modified Boyds Remington 1100 Stock.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 84_yoda:
Here is my Ares SCR with a modified Boyds Remington 1100 Stock.

https://i.imgur.com/tC55U42.jpg
View Quote
That's pretty much exactly what I'd like to build.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Wrenchguy, did someone from the factory tell you this or is it second/third hand conjecture?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bosshoff:

Wrenchguy, did someone from the factory tell you this or is it second/third hand conjecture?
View Quote
Directly from them on the phone about a month ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j1r11] [#10]
Wonder how much heavier the Boyd's 1100 is compared to the fightlite stock?

Also, has anyone tried taking a inch off the fightlite Sporter stock length?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Also, has anyone tried taking a inch off the fightlite Sporter stock length?
View Quote
Ares had a Sporter Short originally.  However, I did cut down my first Sporter by an inch, give or take a little (ignore the p-cord wrap):

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The end plate fitment was the only problem:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome, thanks for the pics.  Did you use the screws to thread the holes or did you tap them?  What did you use to get that nice straight cut?
Are you just living with the but plate or did you grind it down?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome, thanks for the pics.  Did you use the screws to thread the holes or did you tap them?  What did you use to get that nice straight cut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That was a couple of years ago, but I don't believe that I tapped them.  The holes either were threaded deeply enough already or I simply used the screws to "tap" deeper.  The straight cut might have been a miter box.

Are you just living with the but plate or did you grind it down?
Neither.  I got wood.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Just mocked up a viper PST 1-4x24 in vortex low rings and at 1 power I see my 11" rail in the lower part of the scope at 1-2X.  This normal?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]

nice build on Gibbz's gun of the month
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I just snagged an SCR lower finally...$432 on Big Daddy Unlimited.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I see the 870 stocks being used, has anyone tried the Magpul SGA 870 stock? if its compatible i'll give that a shot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
As is, it's not compatible.  The angle of the action tube is different than the SGA stock.  My plan to do a Brownells BN180 upper, unscrew the action tube and make an adapter to take the 1/4-28 stock bolt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Aaaand its back-ordered, so I cancelled.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I started reading from the beginning, covered 100 times lol, apologies for being lazy
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
@CarpNY

Forgot to ask you if the screw stock holes lined up with the butplate holes after the cut?  I would assume the holes on the stock get closer together the more you cut off.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#23]
@CarpNY

Forgot to ask you if the screw stock holes lined up with the butplate holes after the cut?  I would assume the holes on the stock get closer together the more you cut off.
View Quote
If I remember correctly, they did fit (i.e., the holes go straight in and do not get closer together.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JWilliamG] [#24]
I was finally able to assemble my SCR over the weekend. Here it is as of right now. I still have work to do on the wood handguard so I haven't installed it yet. It balances perfectly at the center of the magazine and weighs in at 6lbs 1.5oz empty, 7lbs 1.1oz with a loaded 20 round aluminum mag.

Check out this Imgur link to see some more details, images, and a short bump fire slow-mo video:
ARES SCR Balance, Blast, and Bump Fire
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that the rock river handguard?
It fits the scr look really good and leaves room to add wood without bulk.
Nice build
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JWilliamG] [#26]
Yes, it's the Rock River Arms Lightweight Mountain Rifle handguard! It's by no means the lightest rail available, despite its name, but the small diameter is really nice to hold onto. I kinda want to get another to put on an AR.

And thanks caw375, I do like how it gives the SCR a PPSH look. The theme of this build is retro/military-ish. I wanted to keep it simple.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I finally got around to tinkering with my SCR pistol lower.  I pulled the buffer tube out of the lower, made an adapter that screwed in and would take a 1/4"-28 screw and mounted a Magpul 870 stock.  I plan on getting a Browning BRN180s upper and registering the whole mess as an SBR.  
Here's a pic with one of my uppers on it, cropped to look kind of what the end result will be.  
Enjoy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
@BradN, that Magpul stock suits the SCR really well. Love the look. Keep it up and can't wait to see what the BRN-180 looks like on there!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JWilliamG:
@BradN, that Magpul stock suits the SCR really well. Love the look. Keep it up and can't wait to see what the BRN-180 looks like on there!
View Quote
Thanks alot!  I think this will be a very cool SBR setup
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JWilliamG:
I was finally able to assemble my SCR over the weekend. Here it is as of right now. I still have work to do on the wood handguard so I haven't installed it yet. It balances perfectly at the center of the magazine and weighs in at 6lbs 1.5oz empty, 7lbs 1.1oz with a loaded 20 round aluminum mag.
View Quote
Looks great! What sights are those?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#31]
They are plain Magpul Mbus sights.  Once I get the upper that will stay on this lower, I'll drop on an Aimpoint PRO with a factory low mount.  This upper is what I had to see how it looks and works out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BradN:
I finally got around to tinkering with my SCR pistol lower.  I pulled the buffer tube out of the lower, made an adapter that screwed in and would take a 1/4"-28 screw and mounted a Magpul 870 stock.  I plan on getting a Browning BRN180s upper and registering the whole mess as an SBR.  
Here's a pic with one of my uppers on it, cropped to look kind of what the end result will be.  
Enjoy

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72316/scr_magpul_jpg-938132.JPG
View Quote
Brad, please post more pics showing how you adapted the pistol lower to the Magpul stock!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know if we will see one in 308 (AR10)...?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jreinke:

Brad, please post more pics showing how you adapted the pistol lower to the Magpul stock!
View Quote
Here you go.  Excuse the craptastic pics.
Just a simple piece spun out of stainless.  I'll make a better one as the projects get better along, this is a proof of concept so far.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Finally ordered an SCR that was actually in stock, and it’s already in-route to my FFL!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:40:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cdavid] [#36]
I built one of these lowers up using a Battle Arms upper with a Devil Dog Concepts side charger. I originally bought the Boyds gray, black wood stock for the Mossberg 1100 and the midlength handguard they make also. Installed them and absolutely loved the way it looked. Unfortunately I thought it was too heavy and the length of pull was too long. It literally felt like I was swinging a shotgun around! Might work well for a tall guy with long reach but that is not me. I re-installed the Sporter stock and added a STNGR 15" free float M-lok handguard. Wow. Much better feel for my liking and very lightweight. I am using a Aimpoint Pro with the riser removed which gives it the perfect alignment. If you ever visit the "Fightlite SCR Builders" group on Facebook, you'll see before and after pictures.

One thing that really bothers me about these. Probably not a big deal but bolt carrier is really rough. I thought about polishing the contact surfaces but I don't want to take off the phosphate coating. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:14:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#37]
Originally Posted By cdavid:
I built one of these lowers up using a Battle Arms upper with a Devil Dog Concepts side charger. I originally bought the Boyds gray, black wood stock for the Mossberg 1100 and the midlength handguard they make also. Installed them and absolutely loved the way it looked. Unfortunately I thought it was too heavy and the length of pull was too long. It literally felt like I was swinging a shotgun around! Might work well for a tall guy with long reach but that is not me. I re-installed the Sporter stock and added a STNGR 15" free float M-lok handguard. Wow. Much better feel for my liking and very lightweight. I am using a Aimpoint Pro with the riser removed which gives it the perfect alignment. If you ever visit the "Fightlite SCR Builders" group on Facebook, you'll see before and after pictures.
View Quote
I'm going through something similar with my SCR/URGI setup with the 13.5" Geissele Mk16, rail-mounted light, Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x, etc.  On paper and in pics, it looks great.  It even shoots great (weight helps keep on target.)  However, it moves/swings slowly.  The extra weight being that far forward (compared to an AR) is really noticeable.

Conversely, I replaced the 12" 2A BL rail with a 10" one (Gen I's were on sale for < $100) on my straight-stock SCR with its lighter-profile barrel and the thing got even handier (though, it does move more on recoil.)

My latest (non-SCR) purchase/project, which is a Marlin 1894CSBL that I converted to a straight stock, really put things in perspective.  It's got the same basic LOP and barrel length as my straight-stock SCR, but the receiver is notably shorter.  Handiest rifle I have ever owned (and short of moving to an NFA-friendly state, will ever own.)

Not sure what I'll do with the URGI one, but it very likely will go on a diet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#38]
So I saw a pistol lower in a store that had a pinned in bolt catch-looks like this has changed? Thought before you had to simply drop it in and no option for a roll pin?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#39]
My pic would probably be superfluous to what has already been posted, but I thought I'd post my results over the last couple of years.  It might be useful for others working on their builds.  I ordered my lower from Ares at SHOT 2018.  Even using the lowest possible mounts, you need the Monte Carlo stock, or a cheek riser of some kind.  I was able to handle the rifles they had on display and figured that out on the spot, so I ordered mine with the Monte Carlo.  I also ordered the optional bolt hold open.  Frankly, I think that it is some real cheap shit to make that optional instead of standard.  I can only conclude it is so they can keep the listed price a bit lower.  Nevertheless, I think it is a necessity.

My purpose for the rifle was because I still have friends behind the avocado curtain in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, and when I visit, I wanted a Kalifornia legal rifle.  I had a lightweight LaRue barrel that I got on Sale so it seemed like a winner.  I used a standard flat top upper, which I replaced yesterday.  More on that later.  I'm a big fan of the Bravo Company KMR handguards so I ordered a 10".  The barrel is 16" with a midlength gas system so the gas block is slightly exposed and it looks pretty good.  I've got KMR handguards on a couple of rifles and I think Bravo Company's snap in rail covers are great.  The seams match up so you get great coverage and heat protection and it maintains the really slim feel of the handguard.

I used a Norgon Ambi Mag Catch and it has worked well.  I don't know that any of the options are perfect, but you need something since the standard catch is necessarily too far forward to activate with your trigger finger and reaching around like a non-paddle HK is just awkward.  I haven't had any problem hitting the Norgon with my left thumb as I grasp the magazine.  Your mileage may vary.

Because the optic needs to be as close to the receiver as possible, and the shape of the stock grip puts your hand in close proximity to the track of the charging handle, it makes it awkward to run the handle the same way you do a standard AR.  I ran it with a standard upper receiver for over a year, but finally made a change.  I contemplated a side charging upper, but couldn't find one I really liked.  I eventually ordered an Aero Precision flat top upper without a forward assist.  The FA is non-functional in the first place, so getting rid of it didn't hurt anything and got it out of the way of using an ambi-charging handle.  My new upper receiver and the Radian ambi-charging handle arrived yesterday.  I installed them this morning and then headed to the range.  It worked just as I anticipated, so I'm very happy.  Getting rid of the FA cleared up space and made it very easy to hold the handguard with the left hand and run the charging handle with the right forefinger only.  My optic is an Aimpoint CS, which mounts very low.  Don't look for them, they were a contract over-run from the Swedish Army order several years ago and I got it from Midway.  However, any low mounted Aimpoint works well.  I mounted it roughly centered over the ejection port to really clear the charging handle.  The rifle balance point is right over the magwell.

I'm very happy with how this turned out.  I picked up a bunch of 10 rd Pmags for my venturing to the occupied zone, but obviously, anything works in Free America.  There are still some things I'd like to do.  I need to replace the BCM muzzle brake since it also does some flash suppression, which makes it a death penalty violation in Kalifornia.  Suggestions on a good CA compliant brake that is not overly obnoxious would be welcome.  The safety button is in my opinion, to small.  I'd really like to use a Vang Comp Systems 870/1100 domed safety, but I haven't been able to determine if one will actually fit.  At some point, I may cut the stock down a bit and fit a rubber pad, not for recoil, but for friction.  Hard buttplates on slick floors leads to falling and clattering rifles.  Or I may try fitting an 1100 wooden stock.  Until something better comes along, the SCR is my 50 state legal rifle.  It functions as well as my "evil black rifles" while not looking so evil.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]
If you insist.  You'll see all the clearance for the charging handle by moving the optic a little further forward and dispensing with the forward assist.  The handle runs smooth if you run it straight back and don't put any downward pressure on it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Danger_Close_WNY] [#42]
This may be a stupid question but is the "pistol" lower itself the same as the "rifle" lower in that you could for example, take the rifle stock off the "rifle" lower and mount it to the "pistol" lower with no modification?

The reason I ask is that the "rifle" lower seems to be in VERY high demand but the "pistol" lower so far seems to always be available and some people who would be putting a wood stock on their lower anyway could just grab the available "pistol" lower?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:57:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Danger_Close_WNY] [#43]

Here you go.  Excuse the craptastic pics.
Just a simple piece spun out of stainless.  I'll make a better one as the projects get better along, this is a proof of concept so far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72316/scr_part_jpg-939075.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72316/scr_part2_jpg-939076.JPG
View Quote
How did you get the Raider grip off, from what Ive seen you need a specialized tool?

Also as I asked before this post:

"This may be a stupid question but is the "pistol" lower itself the same as the "rifle" lower in that you could for example, take the rifle stock off the "rifle" lower and mount it to the "pistol" lower with no modification?

The reason I ask is that the "rifle" lower seems to be in VERY high demand but the "pistol" lower so far seems to always be available and some people who would be putting a wood stock on their lower anyway could just grab the available "pistol" lower?"

I see you may have first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I've made a 6 pin wrench to get the nut off of the pistol lower. I'm doing a rifle stock as of now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I've made a 6 pin wrench to get the nut off of the pistol lower. I'm doing a rifle stock as of now.
View Quote
I was thinking an adjustable pin wrench might work.

I know youre in the process of adapting the magpul stock to work, I was asking if the lower receiver would accept the factory rifle stock without modification.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#46]
You might need to open up the hole in the stock for the action tube to clear at the receiver.  It's close to the size of an 1100 so most should fit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
You might need to open up the hole in the stock for the action tube to clear at the receiver.  It's close to the size of an 1100 so most should fit.
View Quote
I understand that, my question isnt about the stock. Im asking about the lower receiver itself. Are the "rifle" and "pistol" lowers the same or is the "pistol" version different... charging tube length, different mounting point etc?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Ah...as far as I can tell, they are the same lower, just different lenght action tubes and buffers.  I've taken the tube off of mine and that's all I can see that would be different.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Ah...as far as I can tell, they are the same lower, just different lenght action tubes and buffers.  I've taken the tube off of mine and that's all I can see that would be different.
View Quote
I wish I could see them without stock/grip side by side... Im very curious about what the difference is between each lower and how the different length buffer tubes would effect them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey there. New to the forums. Read thru most of the thread, but didn't find any answers to q's I had regarding stocks. Hoping you all can help.

Working on an SCR build and as you all know, now only offered with the sporter synth stock.  Likely going to swap for a Rem wood stock once I find one that I like, but curious about the Rem Monte Carlo synth stocks.  Anyone know if these are direct replacement or if it can me modded to work?

Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top