Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax]
The ARES SCR

I had been thinking about buying a Beretta Rx4 / Benelli MR1 at the ridiculous post import mark up. Cool rifle, truly but I'd never pay the $2k for it that people think they're worth.

Then I discover the Ares SCR.

This is the creator's personal SCR, from what I gather.

I don't even live in a ban state. I live in Alaska. I'm certainly not over the AR15, but I've been wanting a traditional stock on a semi auto rifle for a long time, but I refuse to buy a mini14. Never owned one. Im not hating on them, I just don't want one.
I just NEEEED one of these. I figure I'll just buy the lower, since they sell them with the bolt for like $500.

Anyone else not in a ban state just love this thing?

Anyone shot it? does the recoil feel any different?

Also post pics if you got em.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
.458 SOCOM is always a hard recoiling, hard-hitting idea.  It doesn't suppress spectacularly well.  It gives you low-end .45-70 ballistics in an AR-15 upper.  I wouldn't put it in a pistol unless I had that much money to bruise the crap outta my friends' hands for shits & giggles.  If you wanted a bear rifle, wouldn't be the worst idea w/ that handy to carry stock.

Should work fine on an SCR lower, but you may have to tune the gas a bit, dunno.  Probably should use carbine gas, though.
View Quote
I've always wanted to do a .458 build but have been putting it off. I just couldn't pass up the $150 deal Primary was running. I've read before that .458 likes carbine gas systems and I'd definitely run an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered the SCR and bolt catch, nice looking rifle, now where is that delivery notice to the LGS????
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 8:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranger1183] [#3]
I have the piston version of the Fightlite SCR.  I'm trying to replace the butt stock.  The nut is larger than 3/4" (tried both deep well and regular sockets).  Anyone know what size socket fits? Thanks.

cancel all that.  The buttstock is so TIGHT around the stock "mounting nut" that I was finally able to get the 3/4" socket on when I vised / pinched the buttstock top-to-bottom and forced the plastic to spread wider.  Socket slid on and 3/8" drive had no problem spinning the nut off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ranger1183:
I have the piston version of the Fightlite SCR.  I'm trying to replace the butt stock.  The nut is larger than 3/4" (tried both deep well and regular sockets).  Anyone know what size socket fits? Thanks.

cancel all that.  The buttstock is so TIGHT around the stock "mounting nut" that I was finally able to get the 3/4" socket on when I vised / pinched the buttstock top-to-bottom and forced the plastic to spread wider.  Socket slid on and 3/8" drive had no problem spinning the nut off.
View Quote
What'd you put on there?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
You may need a thinwall socket for it to fit in there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 7:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#6]

View Quote
I've always used a 19mm socket (19mm = 0.748"), but I've still had it get stuck inside the stock.  Some of my 19mm sockets have thinner walls than others, but none is a true thin-walled socket.  Would definitely be worth looking into a true one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Have the new Fightlite SCR in hand.  Great looking rifle, parts seem well made, but I would expect no less for the price tag.  A question on upper to receiver tightness as this is my first AR-style where the upper and receiver are pinned together vs just a drop in like a 10/22.

Should the upper/receiver connection be able to have detectable twist/slack when assembled? I can see/feel/hear movement when gripping the stock and barrel handguard - the gap between the upper and receiver has the movement.

To me, I'd think none should be present as it could worsen over time.  Have contacted FL but yet to hear back.  I have some plans for the rifle but don't want to start anything if it's just going to be a repair need.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
There's almost always some wobble bwtn the receivers on ARs.  If there's not, you need a punch to knock out the rear takedown pin.  If it annoys you, there are multiple ways & products to take out the slack.

Since the optics are on the upper, unless the slop is so bad as to prevent getting a steady sight picture, by all reports there is no effect on accuracy - it's just a slightly annoying quirk of the platform.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#9]
There's almost always some wobble bwtn the receivers on ARs.  If there's not, you need a punch to knock out the rear takedown pin.  If it annoys you, there are multiple ways & products to take out the slack.

Since the optics are on the upper, unless the slop is so bad as to prevent getting a steady sight picture, by all reports there is no effect on accuracy - it's just a slightly annoying quirk of the platform.
View Quote
I appreciate your quick input.  It isn't so much that it anything other than just a slight 'wasn't expecting that'.  The stock/upper can be held very steady.  Still would appreciate any pointers on what works best to take up slack.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jeffro109:

I appreciate your quick input.  It isn't so much that it anything other than just a slight 'wasn't expecting that'.  The stock/upper can be held very steady.  Still would appreciate any pointers on what works best to take up slack.
View Quote
Loose Ar15 Upper And Lower Fix

Not sure where that guy found square washers, but you can get o-rings (use #7 through #9 or so)

Heck even a little rubber band would work. I'm like you, I don't like the wiggle.

Get a 10 pack because the o-rings break occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
very nice, thank you.  Now to move on with other fun stuff!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
So, I picked up a used Remington 1100 Walnut stock from Numrich.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/553900

A bit pricey and "used", but a perfect "M1 Garand-ish" accessory.  It's a great piece of Walnut and I'm very happy with it.

So, what did it take to make it fit?  I did it the VERY SLOW way and used a file and a chisel.  Most of the cutting could have been done much faster with a dremel tool.

The hardest work was where the stock interfaced with the lower.  I'll borrow someone else's pictures to try to explain.

the Remington 1100 stock is a perfect fit for the tube, but NOT for the collar around the tube where the stock meets the lower.  This collar is about .80" diameter and about 1/8" deep.  That's what I cut with file and chisel to clear the tube/collar junction.  I also had to cut some around the very front edges of the stock to make sure it slid all the way in to make contact with the back of the receiver.  It helped a lot to use a file & chisel so when what I was cutting didn't make things better, it became very apparent very quickly.  BEFORE I got rid of too much wood.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
My 3/4" socket again had fitting problems with the wood stock.  I had to take a curved file and open up the 1" diameter hole in the wood stock so I could tighten everything up AND get the socket out of the hole.  Slow work using a hand file, but it paid off.

Now a quick "head's up".  The rear take-down pin on the FightLite SCR is held in place by what?  That's right, a standard AR-15 detent pin and detent pin spring.  But where on the SCR is this spring?  Obviously it's NOT in the Pistol grip like a standard AR-15 because there is no pistol grip.  Instead, this pin is located in the rifle stock.

When you remove the standard stock, have your other hand on the right side of the SCR at the stock to lower receiver junction.  That spring and pin will go flying if you let it.  I'll try to post a photo of the stock end with a little "half-moon" rub spot on the lower left hand corner of the picture.  That is where this detent spring pin sits.  Keep control of the spring or spend hours on hands and knees looking for it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
So, I picked up a used Remington 1100 Walnut stock from Numrich.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/553900

A bit pricey and "used", but a perfect "M1 Garand-ish" accessory.  It's a great piece of Walnut and I'm very happy with it.

So, what did it take to make it fit?  I did it the VERY SLOW way and used a file and a chisel.  Most of the cutting could have been done much faster with a dremel tool.

The hardest work was where the stock interfaced with the lower.  I'll borrow someone else's pictures to try to explain.

http://i.imgur.com/4Gafo3H.jpg

the Remington 1100 stock is a perfect fit for the tube, but NOT for the collar around the tube where the stock meets the lower.  This collar is about .80" diameter and about 1/8" deep.  That's what I cut with file and chisel to clear the tube/collar junction.  I also had to cut some around the very front edges of the stock to make sure it slid all the way in to make contact with the back of the receiver.  It helped a lot to use a file & chisel so when what I was cutting didn't make things better, it became very apparent very quickly.  BEFORE I got rid of too much wood.  
View Quote
Did you use a bearing plate between the stock and the receiver?  With a wood stock, you should for long-run durability.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ranger1183:  Now a quick "head's up".  The rear take-down pin on the FightLite SCR is held in place by what?  That's right, a standard AR-15 detent pin and detent pin spring.  But where on the SCR is this spring?  Obviously it's NOT in the Pistol grip like a standard AR-15 because there is no pistol grip.  Instead, this pin is located in the rifle stock.[/url]
View Quote
That's the same place it is on a regular AR.  The safety spring goes into the pistol grip; the rear takedown spring is held in by the stock.

Would love to see pics of yours complete.  Wood on an AR looks great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m putting this on here in case any scr owners experience the same issue I did.

I bought a new from fightlite scr lower in November.
USGI mags would work, but the bottom of the bolt carrier was dragging on the top of the feed lips.
Magpul mags wouldn’t even seat with the bolt closed and wouldn’t function.
All mags were proven good on other ar lowers.
I put the scr bolt carrier in an upper and mocked it up on a good ar15 lower, and the magpul mags did the same thing-wouldn’t seat.

The scr carrier wasn’t machined enough on the bottom to allow room for the feed lips of the magazine.

I called fightlite and paid to ship the carrier back.  They replaced it for free? and I got it back in a little over two weeks.  They will not go out of their way to get you up and running, it is left entirely up to you to do all of the legwork.

It works like it’s supposed to now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#17]
Originally Posted By caw375:
I’m putting this on here in case any scr owners experience the same issue I did.l.

The scr carrier wasn’t machined enough on the bottom to allow room for the feed lips of the magazine.

It works like it’s supposed to now.
View Quote
You didn't happen to take any pics did ya?

They replaced it for free, but you're upset you paid shipping there? Did they cover the return shipping? Did you ask them to reimburse your shipping cost?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
That's the same place it is on a regular AR.  The safety spring goes into the pistol grip; the rear takedown spring is held in by the stock.
View Quote
There is one important difference.  On an AR, the rear takedown spring is held in place by the end plate.  This plate is usually metal and also has more material around the point where the spring contacts it.  On the SCR, the factory synthetic stock, itself, holds the spring in, and it does so by barely covering the hole.  That's provides weaker support and it's also easier to bend it when installing a stock.  The original stock on my straight stock SCR broke in that spot, so it can no longer be used.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe other ar15 users have tapped the detent hole and put an allen key plug screw in it to capture the spring.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it me or did the Fightlite page disappear from the Industry section?

I guess they didn't like how it reflected their complete lack of customer support and service.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow. Crickets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:37:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#22]
Originally Posted By SCR556:
Is it me or did the Fightlite page disappear from the Industry section?

I guess they didn't like how it reflected their complete lack of customer support and service.
View Quote
Looks like we got dumped by FightLite
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems like they abandoned us a few months ago - but why remove the forum? It just makes it more difficult for us to communicate with each other.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#24]
It seems like they abandoned us a few months ago - but why remove the forum? It just makes it more difficult for us to communicate with each other.
View Quote
Well, being in the industry section, I believe they had to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I think fightlite has hit hard times; they were a no show at the NRAAM despite having a booth spot on the map.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DH2:
I think fightlite has hit hard times; they were a no show at the NRAAM despite having a booth spot on the map.
View Quote
If that's true, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get scooped up by a bigger player.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

If that's true, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get scooped up by a bigger player.
View Quote
They've got some sweet products but little business sense.

Hopefully something good happens.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:37:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCR556] [#28]
All I know was anytime I called them when they were Ares Defense, they always answered and were courteous - if under-supplied. After the change to Fightlite, I have not been able to contact them.

This is not good for business. However, if someone else picks up the rights to produce (and support) the products better, it would be good for us.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MRW:
we need Anderson to buy the patent and sell lower kits for $150
View Quote
I’m actually hoping PSA scoops them up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Or Brownells maybe ??

kwg
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah that would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Any of those 3 and a few others would be great. I would love to build one in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe Aero Precision? It would be kinda cool for a company with a logo not too dissimilar from the original Ares Defense logo producing the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw fight lite remove the Monte Carlo stock from their site. Only the Sporter stock was available. I put my order in, it was weird they didn't ask for my FFL during checkout.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mrrobinhood5:
I saw fight lite remove the Monte Carlo stock from their site. Only the Sporter stock was available. I put my order in, it was weird they didn't ask for my FFL during checkout.
View Quote
Expect an email for that.
The MC has always been the most popular, they probably ran out of stock. Silly that it isn't event listed anymore!
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#37]
There are several build ideas I'm floating right now that focus on fightlite's rifle and pistol lowers. My only (and quite frankly BIGGEST complaint) is the price.

If someone were to buy out fightlite or something, and produce them at a lower cost, I would be... well, very happy...
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCR556] [#38]
Originally Posted By mrrobinhood5:
I saw fight lite remove the Monte Carlo stock from their site.
View Quote
I'd like to know who supplies their stocks and order one direct. I'd like to have the option of swapping out my stock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]

I'd like to know who supplies their stocks and order one direct. I'd like to have the option of swapping out my stock.
View Quote
A Remington 1100 shotgun stock is an almost perfect replacement.

You can get 1100 stocks from Boydsgunstocks.com.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#40]
My fightlight build is nearly complete.  Sadly the front handguard hasn't quite left the prototype stage.  I wouldn't know what to do with wood if I had it in my hand.

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Regal_T-type:
My fightlight build is nearly complete.  Sadly the front handguard hasn't quite left the prototype stage.  I wouldn't know what to do with wood if I had it in my hand.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/Hw5sJe.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/7DKn8Y.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/Un5Oe5.jpg
View Quote
Shut your mouth and take my money
That is bad ass
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Why thank you!  Almost forgot the compensator/brake I designed for this build.  Note the aesthetics.

Muzzle blast is pretty brutal but muzzle climb and recoil are almost entirely eliminated.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#43]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/Hw5sJe.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/7DKn8Y.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/Un5Oe5.jpg
View Quote
Are those CZ Scorpion sights you are using? They work well?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

Are those CZ Scorpion sights you are using? They work well?
View Quote
Yes, and they are backwards
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#45]
1st person to notice
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#46]
That makes me want to SBR my Raider lower.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#47]
1st person to notice
View Quote
Its OK I posted a pic of backwards HK diopter on a mock up of an AR9 last week..
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Happy now!? Imma go re-zero
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#49]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/U2LTIL.jpg

Happy now!? Imma go re-zero
View Quote
I'm not the one who's gotta be happy with it
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#50]
something I have run into with these sights,  even with the front sight post cranked all the way it still shoots a tad high.  do they make different posts for these sights?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top