Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 2:30:31 AM EDT
I have been researching for probably 2 weeks and just about every single brand and I decided I would like a nice long range gun with free float rails. I would likeit at a nice price as well. I was looking at a nosler varmageddon but that starts at around $2,450. I was looking for help on something a little cheaper but looking the same..like a big bad marksman rifle. Maybe even add why you say the gun you suggest to me so i can learn what you know. Anyone and everyone that can help thankyou!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
why not just build one yourself up one? or buy a cheap heavy barreled upper? and set it on a prebuilt lower with an A2 stock?

from there you could add a magpul fixed rifle stock, or a PRS stock like the one on the varmageddon, although the A2 is fine honestly. add a 15 inch keymod free float rail and be done with it. you're probably only $800-900 into the rifle maybe 1k-1100 if you for for the prs.

go with the best glass you can afford and call it a day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit hands down.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You're not giving us a lot of info to work with.  Long range for punching tiny little groups in paper, varmint hunting, LEO sniping, DMR, or ringing steel?  Generically speaking, just look for something with an 18-20 inch barrel, probably stainless steel, and a good trigger system.  LaRue come to mind at one price point and the RRA X-series at another.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you considering as cheap? What kind of money are you able to spend? Also, if after two weeks of searching and that is the only thing you have come up with, you have not done much searching. Any decent long range 5.56mm AR is going to cost good money. By  this, I mean $2K and up. You might be able to build one a little cheaper for around $1500 to $1800, but that all depends on what choices you make for the components, bipod, scope, and the mounts. Realistically, you will still be around $2K for a decent quality build.

The Rock River that was mentioned is a decent AR for what it is. However, you may find yourself wanting to change it up somewhat. That would mean more expenses.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking for one with great precision and accuracy so I would love a tight grouping rifle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I was researching a ton but I was just looking at 16" barreled so instead of wasting more time I figured I would post and learn from peoples personal experience.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was researching a ton but I was just looking at 16" barreled so instead of wasting more time I figured I would post and learn from peoples personal experience.
View Quote

Tell us more about what you found and liked with all your research. Also give a budget. Precision is expensive
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
A CMP/NRA service rifle would do well too.

Mine shoot a variety of bullets and loads into knots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I say get this and put it on a lower with an A2.

Noveske
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this a good one to get for what I'm wanting?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright more detail. I researched a lot of different brands and pros and cons of different rifles and stuff. I decided I want a free float rail system with option to add rails to the side. I want a rail system extending the whole top of the rifle. I decided I want at least an 18" but 20" I figure is probably best. I would just like to be able to put several rounds in a dime like I can with the old 30-06 I used for deer hunting. I love to shoot and want precision and accuracy. I'm trying not to go over $1,500 but a little more might be alright if its the right rifle. I don't even mind upgrading some parts later like a chrome line barrel and nickel boron bolt carrier for better rifle life and round output. I just want a gun of quality that the parts won't break and I can upgrade the barrel and stuff. Like people I know say dpms has low quality parts and break easier than other brands or I might have gone with their DPMS MINI SASS
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alright more detail. I researched a lot of different brands and pros and cons of different rifles and stuff. I decided I want a free float rail system with option to add rails to the side. I want a rail system extending the whole top of the rifle. I decided I want at least an 18" but 20" I figure is probably best. I would just like to be able to put several rounds in a dime like I can with the old 30-06 I used for deer hunting. I love to shoot and want precision and accuracy. I'm trying not to go over $1,500 but a little more might be alright if its the right rifle. I don't even mind upgrading some parts later like a chrome line barrel and nickel boron bolt carrier for better rifle life and round output. I just want a gun of quality that the parts won't break and I can upgrade the barrel and stuff. Like people I know say dpms has low quality parts and break easier than other brands or I might have gone with their DPMS MINI SASS
View Quote

I'm no expert. But from what I've read, a chrome-lined barrel is not the epitome of accuracy. You'd want to go with a match grade stainless barrel that, I believe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want accuracy get a good barrel (so the gun can do its part) and a good trigger (to help you do your part). A decent barrel will run around $300 - I like ARP, DD, and Wilson, either stainless or Melonite. Then a good trigger.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is this a good one to get for what I'm wanting?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/popup.cfm?type=i&id=products/pur15xs1.gif
View Quote

Short answer, yes, the RRA X-series is a great place to start.  Noveske or possibly Rainier may have something similar (18 inch, stainless, good trigger, etc.) but I think they'll be over your budget.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
What's your budget?  That really drives what you can get.

What are you planning on doing with the free floating rail?  Are you going to mount a bipod or other accessories onto it, or do you just want to free float the barrel?  If you're not going to put anything on the hand guard, then you could just as well mount a free float tube for less than what a free float rail/keymod/etc would cost and still get the benefits of free floating the barrel.

Others already mentioned a good barrel and trigger, which are the two big things.  You can get MOA groups from those two and the right ammo alone.

Do you load your own ammo, or do you stick to factory loads?  The type of ammo you use will work with the barrel you pick so that you can match the bullet length/weight to the twist rate of the barrel.  If you load your own, then you can fine tune the bullet/powder charge combo to work with that specific barrel for optimal results.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are going to need a lot better budget to afford what you are wanting. The setup you are describing is going to cost you around $2K at least, then there is the glass. Good quality glass will cost anywhere from $700-$1500. High quality glass can cost $2K and up. You can find cheaper alternatives in the $400-$500 range. Additionally, you do not want to buy a gun that you have to upgrade. You want one that already has the upgrades built into the rifle. To get exactly what you want, you might as well build one with everything that you spec out for it. It will require a lot of homework in order to research all the parts and to find the vendors with the best price possible. Good luck with your endeavor.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top