User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 204
Posted: 10/27/2014 1:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska511]
We aren't allowed in the RECCE / SPR threads, so post the 14.5s and smaller here!
I borrowed the name from another member

RIFLES/SBRs ONLY, PLEASE.  No Pistols or "PDWs" with braces, etc.  You pistol peeps have an entire subforum for that stuff.

14.5" and shorter, free floated, variable mag optic - LPVOs are great!  Please no magnifiers, or ACOGs..

Noveske Crusader upper
WMD NiB BCG
Vortex Razor HDII 1-6x
Seekins forged lower
Seekins billet lower parts
Geiselle SSAe
VLTOR IMod and RE
Sprinco Blue and H2
BCM Mod1 grip
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Dat one on Da bottom Doe..

EDIT: 1st Page Ownage Ever

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Goin wild with the rattle-can. Paint don’t match, don’t care

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Super Mini. Barrel Length 0”
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RecoilSensitive:

Super Mini. Barrel Length 0”
View Quote

Yep gonna be a long wait till March when I get that Criterion Core 13.9”. My other one will be back together soon though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiplash10] [#5]
The short boi 12.5 recce build has begun!  Newer SLR rails have some nice improvements, rotation limited QD with a reinforced section.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Simple and effective.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]

I see you and I did siblings again

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
I guess this fits here, on the long end of mini at 14.5”.  

https://i.imgur.com/HV3Ndee.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eXZphib.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VCLQy6b.jpg
View Quote

I have a 13.9" Core barrel on backorder, was thinking about getting a Razor 1-10x to go with it. The amount of cantilever required for that optic is huge. What position do you put the stock at when shooting? Does the Geissele hyper extended mount give you enough or do you wish it was further forward?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone set it up that far forward. Mine was close to the castle nut and I typically shoot with the stock somewhere between all the way out to two clicks in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wake27:
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone set it up that far forward. Mine was close to the castle nut and I typically shoot with the stock somewhere between all the way out to two clicks in.
View Quote

At risk of angering the Mini Recce gods by posting a pistol brace, this is my 12.5" with a VCOG that claims 4" of eye relief. I had to get the Geissele VCOG mount to push it far enough forward for how I shoot. It looks like even in the hyper extended mount the Razor 1-10x sits a bit further back than my scope, but Vortex claims 3.6" of eye relief so it might work out. Finding somewhere to mock all of that up is difficult, so just trying to gather information before dropping a bunch of cash on it.

I have a Criterion Core 13.9" barrel on back order and another URX 4 coming in, this time 13", that I will be putting on this lower and swapping the brace out for a B5 Bravo. Thinking that 10x and a better reticle will help me see how far I can stretch it. I've taken the 12.5" to 500 yards, but never tried beyond that.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Well now my day is fucking ruined since I had to see a brace
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
View Quote

Soon it will be considered an sbr so hes ahead of the game
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Adding more and more brown.

Attachment Attached File

And I’m just throwing shit together at this point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

My day is ruined from seeing a vcog
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Who makes those mag releases my dude?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Turbo_Kill3r:

Who makes those mag releases my dude?
View Quote

KAC
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

LMFAO
hoping parts availability changes in the near future.....got two mini recce projects that I would really like to complete.

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#19]
So many Legos put together today. Hopefully I can sneak to the range tomorrow while the wife is at Hobby Lobby..?

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:41:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Christmas night recce for critters. Threw the x300 off the g19 on there and worked well but going to get a dedicated rifle light. Have a m600 body and mount but need a head. Thinking Malkoff.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brackeen22] [#21]
Here is my submission she’s a real pig.
Mostly larue except
Lantac BCG
SLR gas block
Lantac Dragon
UBR
PRI Gasbuster
Running A5H2 buffer
I know the dragon is not as popular but I wanted something different that was ASR capable. It’s run 99% suppressed anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Help/Thoughts with a concept. And/or does anyone have pics of this setup? 14.5” SOCOM barrel with either a rifle length FF RAS or a 13” Geissele rail. Leupold 3.5-10, 3-9, or 2.5-8 MR/T optic. Preferably with a piggyback rds. Kind of like a 14.5” SAM-R or Mk12 Mod 1.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bullseye_Doc_Holiday:
Help/Thoughts with a concept. And/or does anyone have pics of this setup? 14.5” SOCOM barrel with either a rifle length FF RAS or a 13” Geissele rail. Leupold 3.5-10, 3-9, or 2.5-8 MR/T optic. Preferably with a piggyback rds. Kind of like a 14.5” SAM-R or Mk12 Mod 1.
View Quote

The NSW/SEAL/Delta Recce thread would contain what you're looking for or fairly close.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
How many of you guys are doing things like trueing the face of your upper and using green Loctite on the barrel extension to bed the barrel? I figure if anyone is doing that it would be the guys trying to get 600 yards out of short barrels. I was just watching Criterion’s videos on “accurizing” the AR15 and trying to decide if I should buy the tools to do it or send my parts out to a shop.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ZULUKILO:
How many of you guys are doing things like trueing the face of your upper and using green Loctite on the barrel extension to bed the barrel? I figure if anyone is doing that it would be the guys trying to get 600 yards out of short barrels. I was just watching Criterion's videos on "accurizing" the AR15 and trying to decide if I should buy the tools to do it or send my parts out to a shop.
View Quote

Not me. Mine's been out to 650y. I feel like this is akin to lapping scope rings, I dunno.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Not me. Mine's been out to 650y. I feel like this is akin to lapping scope rings, I dunno.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
How many of you guys are doing things like trueing the face of your upper and using green Loctite on the barrel extension to bed the barrel? I figure if anyone is doing that it would be the guys trying to get 600 yards out of short barrels. I was just watching Criterion's videos on "accurizing" the AR15 and trying to decide if I should buy the tools to do it or send my parts out to a shop.

This.

While it will 100% not hurt accuracy. Getting to and past 600yd with the shorties is hindered by velocity and bullet choice. Not inherent accuracy. It's the wind that's going to have you missing your target. This is where velocity and BC come into play and help you buck the wind.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#27]
How many of you guys are doing things like trueing the face of your upper and using green Loctite on the barrel extension to bed the barrel? I figure if anyone is doing that it would be the guys trying to get 600 yards out of short barrels. I was just watching Criterion’s videos on “accurizing” the AR15 and trying to decide if I should buy the tools to do it or send my parts out to a shop.
View Quote

Just buy a BCM receiver and avoid all that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

Just a BCM receiver and avoid all that.
View All Quotes

Just a BCM receiver and avoid all that.

Winner winner

Nothing beats a thermal fit barrel
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:53:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drewthebrave] [#29]

Winner winner

Nothing beats a thermal fit barrel
View Quote

Agreed.  

BCM has become my go-to for most of my builds, but  because they're undersized, the "truing" tool won't fit.  For what it's worth, most of the non-BCM receivers that I have trued were nearly true from the factory, with only a slight variance (KAK, Aversion, & Aero Precision), so I'd expect BCM to be pretty dang close to true from the factory.  I recently picked up a Wilson Combat Recon SR barrel that was the tightest non-thermal fit I've seen in a standard (Aero) receiver, so I can't imagine how tough that would have been to get into a BCM upper if I had to try.  I trued that upper and used some Loctite 620 on that assembly.  While I don't think either operation was necessary, I'm hoping the process will reduce any variables that might affect accuracy for my Recce-inspired build.  

Sometimes it's good to have one standard receiver and one thermal fit on hand so that you can put the barrel into the receiver where it will fit best.  Some of the oversized barrel extensions (WOA comes to mind) might be troublesome with undersized receivers (like BCM).  While these steps are not necessary, I'm learning that the process can increase the likelihood of getting a very capable rifle in the end.  For a little extra time and not much cost, I think it's worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
So which scope would y’all pick? Vortex Razor 1-10 or Nighforce NX8? I have the first Vortex Razor 1-6 and I’m probably gonna sell it and buy a Steiner. It’s just too damn heavy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#31]
Originally Posted By Brackeen22:
So which scope would y’all pick? Vortex Razor 1-10 or Nighforce NX8? I have the first Vortex Razor 1-6 and I’m probably gonna sell it and buy a Steiner. It’s just too damn heavy.
View Quote

You just answered your own question. The Vortex is just too heavy. NX8 for the win! Only thing the Vortex does marginally better is the eye box. The other things the NF beat out in are worth it to me to have a little tighter eye box.

@SDMF_Rebel
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

You just answered your own question. The Vortex is just too heavy. NX8 for the win! Only thing the Vortex does marginally better is the eye box. The other things the NF beat out in are worth it to me to have a little tighter eye box.

@SDMF_Rebel
View Quote

Agreed. I hate heavy LPVOs. Training can fix the eye box deficiency easily.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

@SDMF_Rebel

Y’all are both backing up where I was already leaning. The weight is just a deal breaker. I guess I better be finding an NX8 and pick a mount.

Would anyone sell a original razor to buy the E or get a Steiner P4Xi?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Y’all are both backing up where I was already leaning. The weight is just a deal breaker. I guess I better be finding an NX8 and pick a mount.

Would anyone sell a original razor to buy the E or get a Steiner P4Xi?
View Quote

I have had the OG Razor and the E. I don't remember the tech weight difference but felt weight wasn't much IMO between the 2. I've never owned the P4Xi. If you want to keep a Razor, I'd just keep the one you have for less hassle....

Its the NF NX8 for me....

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#35]

I have had the OG Razor and the E. I don't remember the tech weight difference but felt weight wasn't much IMO between the 2. I've never owned the P4Xi. If you want to keep a Razor, I'd just keep the one you have for less hassle....

https://i.imgur.com/43JwGJ1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AJbeOVL.jpg
View Quote

Yes it appears it is Wow. Yeah I may just keep it and use it on another build.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

What flip up caps are those?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

What flip up caps are those?
View Quote

@DoctorLove
The best ones on the market IMO. Only downsides are they are a bit pricey and out of stock a lot. But well worth it still.

AADMount here
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#38]
@5pt56 you need to mount up that ATACR!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Nx8 is king

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Amen to that, the wider FOV is nicer on the ATACR but Jesus it's not worth the premium.  A buddy had one on his 14.5 at the range a couple days ago and it's huge compared to the NX8.  Mag ring also was much tougher/less smooth to move.  FOV was better but not super noticeable, it's not bad on the NX8.

Man if you can wait, the Badger 1.7 is worth it.  Not as 'snappy' as the Unity FAST, but between my 1.93 LEAP mount and this, I don't notice a difference.  Comfortable and fast no matter what.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Nx8 crew checking in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By whiplash10:

Amen to that, the wider FOV is nicer on the ATACR but Jesus it's not worth the premium.  A buddy had one on his 14.5 at the range a couple days ago and it's huge compared to the NX8.  Mag ring also was much tougher/less smooth to move.  FOV was better but not super noticeable, it's not bad on the NX8.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50782686078_db3ceaa999_c.jpg

Man if you can wait, the Badger 1.7 is worth it.  Not as 'snappy' as the Unity FAST, but between my 1.93 LEAP mount and this, I don't notice a difference.  Comfortable and fast no matter what.  
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50783466966_4deb19748a_b.jpg
View All Quotes

I couldn't agree more! I love the Badger mounts! My plan is to transition to them all for the most part. 1.93 is too high for me but the 1.7 is so natural and there everytime. I need to make time to get these mounted or swapped out!

Disclaimer: I only have the Vortex for clone purposes and haven't gotten around to selling it!
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Nx8 crew checking in.

Yeaaahhhhh buddy!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brackeen22] [#43]

View Quote

I’m pretty sure I’m going badger. I have a spare lt104 for the wait if I order a 1.7. I’ve always run 1.5 so can’t decide if I want to get away from that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone ever bought a europtic Demo?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone ever bought a europtic Demo?
View Quote

At least 2 of my NX8s are demos from there. I've been very lucky and both looked brand new without a mark on them anywhere. Also Badger has a 1.54 in the new mount, may want to try that instead of a 1.7 but if you do get a 1.7 first and don't like it, I know a guy that will gladly buy it from you for the right price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiplash10] [#46]

I’m pretty sure I’m going badger. I have a spare lt104 for the wait if I order a 1.7. I’ve always run 1.5 so can’t decide if I want to get away from that.
View Quote

1.7 really is the best of all worlds from what I've found.

keep an eye on Rooftop Defense, they have a pretty regular supply.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Triad almost always has them.

I currently have my nx8 in a 1.93.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Sure looks like an ACOG.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Sure looks like an ACOG.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Sure looks like an ACOG.

Two separate thoughts
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]

1.7 really is the best of all worlds from what I've found.

keep an eye on Rooftop Defense, they have a pretty regular supply.
View Quote

That’s where I got mine. 1.7 is perfect for me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 204
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top