BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2013 1:08:17 AM EDT
I've been trying to talk myself out of buying my first AR15 because I'm being processed to enlist in the army and I'll likely be issued one... However, a Rock River Arms AR15 in 5.56 with Magpul furniture, enhanced bolt catch, ambi charging handle, and Troy flip-ups just showed up at the pawn shop down the street. Tan bits feel like a rattle-can job, so nothing professional.

It's purty, and I want it. Price point is good, too. Now I just need someone to talk me into or out of buying it! My old lady is about as indecisive as I am about it

Sorry about the crappy cell pic:

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy it. RRA is good stuff. I have three.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You are still quite a ways away from having an issue weapon, and when you do, you will see it maybe a couple of times a year*.

If you want to train with one, you'll have to get your own.

* Unit dependent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good for a starter/basic rifle.  It'll work just fine.  The gear snobs (I'm one myself) will tell you to hold out for a BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.  But I started off with a Stag Arms rifle and it was a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You want an AR-15 Modern Sporting Rifle.
It's there at the pawn shop down the street.
You can afford it.
Occam's Razor says: Buy it.
It's the only way to be sure.
You'll be happy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are still quite a ways away from having an issue weapon, and when you do, you will see it maybe a couple of times a year*.

View Quote

Definitely THIS.

Till my deployment, I handled an M4 maybe 20 times in 12 YEARS........yet I was responsible to qual.

BUY IT.......or something similar to what you will be issued. I did....and never looked back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
if its like 300 buy it.

otherwise avoid,

looks like a garage build

exposed gas blocks don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure what price is on this used one but keep in mind you can get a brand new Colt 6920 at GT Distributors for $900. I think I saw a Bushmaster at Cheaper than Dirt for around $700. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware how low prices have dropped in past few months.

Good luck,
Tall
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if its like 300 buy it.

otherwise avoid,

Chris
View Quote

Lots of rifles have exposed gas blocks and changing hand guards is not hard to do if he wants longer rails.

I say go for it if the price is right.  Never pass up a good price on a firearm you like.  How I got my Walther PPS 400, 1 box of ammo new Kimber Grand Raptor for 900, or countless Mausers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

* Unit dependent.
View Quote

+1... your issued weapon won't always be at your disposal so if you want to spend time shooting / practicing on your own, you will need your own rifle.  There are better rifles you can buy and there are worse.  I wouldn't spend more than $600 on that one when you can get a BCM, Colt, or LMT for right around the 1k mark if you shop around.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]
NO. Wait for your ID, then go buy a KAC, LMT or DD with your significant military discount
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Do it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

* Unit dependent.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#13]
It's $1000. Is the price as good as it sounds? The gun shop I hang around most is a nice one and all they ever stock are S&W, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Wilson Combat, pick your high-end brand, and they all sell new for $1600 and up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]
not worth close to 1000.

Also who knows where you will be stationed and what the situation will be then.  Might as well wait.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NO. Wait for your ID, then go buy a KAC, LMT or DD with your significant military discount
View Quote

This makes a lot of sense too
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
not worth close to 1000.

Also who knows where you will be stationed and what the situation will be then.  Might as well wait.
View Quote

For $1000 go to Wally World and get a Colt 6920...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]
priced about 250 to high or more.  there is a pending glut of black rifles coming and I am seeing discounts already.  Go to GT Dist and look over their current pricing.......pass on it.  you don't know the history, it has been modded.  Pawn shops usually end up with stuff no one would buy off the original owner to begin with.....I say pass
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
$1000 about $250 too much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#19]
No, even I, a big Rock River Fan, wouldn't buy one that looks like that used, for $1000.00. I'd say hold out for another one. Don't buy from Wal-Mart though, they don't get the same quality rifles that your gun shop does. (I have a friend who is loss prevention at our local Wally World and confirmed this)
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't pay $1000 for a gun missing it's grip core.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's $1000. Is the price as good as it sounds? The gun shop I hang around most is a nice one and all they ever stock are S&W, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Wilson Combat, pick your high-end brand, and they all sell new for $1600 and up.
View Quote

I missed this earlier.

No, that's not a $1k carbine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Someone priced out a $380 AR based on the Black Friday sales, including shipping & transfer.  It drops $5 everytime someone retells the story : )

For $1000, I'd wait - your old lady's gonna need some grocery money while you're in boot camp, & like as not your paltry pay could get screwed up @ first.  Once y'all get settled @ your first duty station, then it's time to build one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't often tell people to NOT buy their first AR, but I'd wait.  And it's not a 1000 dollar rifle.
Assuming no unfortanite events happen, prices will keep falling for a bit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]
My local Walmart has a COLT LE 6920 M4A1 $1395.00 or $1495.00 I can't remember which price on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Not worth $1000
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lots of rifles have exposed gas blocks and changing hand guards is not hard to do if he wants longer rails.

I say go for it if the price is right.  Never pass up a good price on a firearm you like.  How I got my Walther PPS 400, 1 box of ammo new Kimber Grand Raptor for 900, or countless Mausers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if its like 300 buy it.

otherwise avoid,

Chris

I agree if the price is right, and here it clearly was not.

yes lots of rifles have exposed gas blocks and changing hand guards is trivial but not if it adds cost to an already expensive rifle.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't buy it.   But do get an AR.  Get a good  basic, plain vanilla wrapper type AR 15 carbine, civvie version as close to what you will be issued.  Probably a Colt 6920 as plain as possible.  You can modify or build on it later.  Currently or recently deployed guys here can guide you on what to get to closely mimic your issue rifle for training purposes.

Work on proficiency.  Don't even think about all the extras right now.   You can get what you want for less than $1000 and spend any extra you may have on lots of ammo and range time.

I say this even though I've never owned a Colt AR and my personal preferences lead me in a different direction as far as my own AR 15 uses (modular rails, accessories, optics, precision accuracy, et cetera).
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.  If you have $1K, you can do much better.  I've seen slightly used Colts and LMTs going for $800-$1K (new Colts are only like $1100 online).
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
not worth close to 1000.

View Quote

What are the sights? if they are legit troy flip ups those alone are worth $200, it prob would be $1000 rifle range.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I totally agree with waiting and using your military discount.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude you would be CRAZY to buy that for $1000 DONT DO IT.
You can buy a brand new mil-spec colt for that.
Most pawn shops are a scam, they want more money for a used item that you can buy new for less.
Several model colts for LESS than $1,000 NEW.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#32]
As others have said, this is way too much for that rifle.

Primary Arms has a new Spike Tactical basic carbine for less that that. My Wally World has a Sig, and S&W 556 under a grand right now. Palmetto State Armory will sometimes have a basic AR with a $400 Aimpoint on it for under a grand.

Granted ammo cost will quickly make the above argument seem pointless, but what isn't pointless is that exposed gasblock on such a short handguard, unknown build, used, etc.

Run away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#33]
There's not a chance in the world I'd touch that, not even a $700.

You want what your Issue weapon will be. It'll either be a Colt, or FN. I personally would buy the bone stock Colt 6920. Like said else ware, they can be had for under 1000. When you get to your unit, then you can buy the same optic as they are using.
Just might cost as much as the Colt.
Besides, everyone out there has heard of Colt. Good resale value. When down the road you want to get into higher end AR's.
I'd say Colt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pass it on by....go to Walmart and get a Colt 6920
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks good for a starter/basic rifle.  It'll work just fine.  The gear snobs (I'm one myself) will tell you to hold out for a BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.  But I started off with a Stag Arms rifle and it was a fine rifle.
View Quote

You mean La Rue, Wilson, Noveske, Les Baer etc right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No, even I, a big Rock River Fan, wouldn't buy one that looks like that used, for $1000.00. I'd say hold out for another one. Don't buy from Wal-Mart though, they don't get the same quality rifles that your gun shop does. (I have a friend who is loss prevention at our local Wally World and confirmed this)
View Quote

Umm.  Your loss prevention friend is high enough up at Wal-Mart to know that Colt set up an entirely separate production line to make cheap ARs for the Bentonville Mafia?  I'm-a have to pull the BS flag on this one . . . or ask for supporting documentation.

OP:  For a grand, you can get a lot more rifle than that.  Particularly if you're about to sign up with Big Green, I'd get a Colt, and I'd get a Colt that was as close to what I was likely to be issued as possible, i.e., Colt 6920.  Someone mentioned GT Distributers?  Here's the link to their Colt 6920 page.

I'm not a Colt fanboy.  I've had good luck with PSA and Del-Ton (not a complete rifle, but a lower) and still miss my Bushmaster A1 carbine.  I've also got a BCM middy.  (I'm not bragging at all, just pointing out that I've gone low end, and high/reasonable end.)  I won't warn you off Rock River Arms, but I'll warn you off THIS Rock River Arms.  For a grand?  Get a 6920.

Let us know how it all works out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if its like 300 buy it.

otherwise avoid,

Chris

I was gonna say some LMT's have the gas block exposed, however, this is no LMT.  I would not buy it.  Wait till you join Army to use your military discount and get something really nice and not some "custom" garbage build.  I bought my LMT from Kieslers (military/LE only site) for $1050.00  Best deal ever!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#38]
That is maybe a 550-600 dollar rifle.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Buy it or a 6920 or spikes ar BEFORE you deploy

You never know what may happen in the future

This time last year was a nightmare

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not this again. So your buddy is a mall cop, wally world spec.

If you are saying that the Colt 6920 that's sold at wally world is different than the one that your LGS sells. Oh man, are you gullible.
If you believe that Colt or Wall mart  will do that and risk a law suite, over a deadly weapon being substandard.
Colt is not going to risk their name, for that.
Seems the only Colts made special. Were the ones Holder sold to Mexico in "Fast & Furious"
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I say wait.  You will get a lot of training and experience in the military to help you make a better informed decision on what you like/don't like in an AR and accessories.  Plus you'll have a .mil discount.  Heck, I didn't buy a personal AR until I had been in for 14 years!

If you must buy something, get a 6920, same as what you'll be issued other than barrel length and lack of 3rd burst (I can count on one hand how many times I've used that feature as a career infantryman).

Edit:  if you get deployed and are worried about another ban scare, just get a stripped lower (or 3) and mail-order the rest to your house!  I put together an SBR and most of another AR while deployed!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you are saying that the Colt 6920 that's sold at wally world is different than the one that your LGS sells. Oh man, are you gullible.
If you believe that Colt or Wall mart  will do that and risk a law suite, over a deadly weapon being substandard.
Seems the only Colts made special. Were the ones Holder sold to Mexico in "Fast & Furious"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally ridiculous to think Colt would "screw" wal mart and its legions of customers with an inferior product, to then give priority service to a mom and pop shop that buys a couple a year. Right.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Personally, I think you should wait till you get to your first duty station. And even then, part of the decision would be based upon whether you are married or not..  Explanation; AFAIK, the military houses single soldiers, and has rules regarding personal weapons. If it's like it was years back, you turned your personal guns into the unit armorer- and have to coordinate to remove them to use them.   If you are living off post- it's different- because not all the rules apply-- but yeah, I'd check to see what the rules and regulations are concerning any personal weapons are before buying something I need to turn in..   Enlisting in the National Guard or Reserves is a totally different scenario...

When I say first duty station- I am not talking basic training or your MOS training; your first duty station might be overseas- and you might have additional complications regarding storing and accessing your personal firearms.  Too many unknowns, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks more like a gun someone built off of a Rock River lower receiver.   RRA doesn't have any models with that quad rail and the stock doesn't look like it has the correct logo either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the input, everybody. I decided to pass on this one and save up for a Daniel Defense I've had my eye on for a while. I'd like to get the best gun I can afford and not necessarily the gun that will be closest to what I'll be issued.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input, everybody. I decided to pass on this one and save up for a Daniel Defense I've had my eye on for a while. I'd like to get the best gun I can afford and not necessarily the gun that will be closest to what I'll be issued.
View Quote
Again I'd say find out what the MIL price is on all your options. You may not know what you can afford yet.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't buy from Wal-Mart though, they don't get the same quality rifles that your gun shop does. (I have a friend who is loss prevention at our local Wally World and confirmed this)
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

awe shit!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Nothing against DD, GREAT manufacturer, but it would kinda be a shame if you spent say, 1400 on a DD and then found out that you could of got a KAC for 1700 or so (with Mil discount). This one is going for less than 2k now. That's before any potential discounts.

Also, these guys are absolutely right, the AR market is very over-saturated right now and prices are gonna continue to get cheaper on stuff for awhile (barring any more incidents). If it were me, and you can stand to wait a bit, get a KAC with a mil discount.

Lastly, everybody thinks they are gonna get that one AR and it is gonna be their go to gun forever and all that, and maybe it will be, but maybe it wont and you'll eventually want to sell it for some reason whether its an emergency or because you wanna do something else, etc. Certain brands of rifle will hold their value a LOT better than other brands. KAC, Colt, LMT, etc hold their value well and should you ever decide to sell, depending on the condition of the rifle at the time, you should be able to get most of your money back out of it (or potentially all of it depending on the political atmosphere).

Good luck with your rifle and with joining the military. (Better be going 11B if you really want someone to teach you how to use your new rifle... )
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top