Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 7:37:04 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to the AR world but have a precision 22 PDK (22-6.8SPC essentially, sends 77gr pills at over 3000FPS from my 20" tube) that I'd like to upgrade the trigger in (currently is a mil-spec unit). I'm using the rifle to learn how to shoot long range and to hunt antelope and deer mostly.

I am seeing that they run from $100-$300 and would really be interested in hearing how something like the RRA National Match Trigger compares to the higher dollar ones. What are your thoughts on the best trigger for that application? What would you say the best trigger would be for under &150?

Thanks guys and God bless,

Adam
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The only real answer is Geissele.  For a bench gun, one of their High Speed National Match or SSA-E triggers would be great.  The Timney single stage might also be a good choice.  The RRA is a poor choice.  They are known to wear over time from a decent (at best) two-stage to a very long, heavy single stage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only real answer is Geissele.  For a bench gun, one of their High Speed National Match or SSA-E triggers would be great.
View Quote

This.

Timmney is garbage

RRA is Garbage

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]
X3.

Hard to go wrong with a Geissele.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Geissele can't be beat!

My second pick is RRA two stage but... they sometimes fail. The good news is RRA has a good warranty and fixes them.

I also have a couple of Stoner two stage and you must loctite the adjustment screws or they will go out of adjustment.

I'd gladly trade the Stoner & RRA fire control groups for Geissele! (So far no takers on this offer!)

I don't have the money or all my rifles would have Geissele!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Geissele is what you want
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

Timmney is garbage
RRA is Garbage

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only real answer is Geissele.  For a bench gun, one of their High Speed National Match or SSA-E triggers would be great.

This.

Timmney is garbage
RRA is Garbage

Timmney and RRA are not garbage I have 3 RRA 2-stage triggers that has over 10K mileage on one many thousands more on the others and still running strong, I have Geissele trigger that are top notch also but I cannot speak to Timmney because no personal experience but I know they sell a lot of them and many people like them.
If you are going to say something is garbage back it up with data other than hearsay opinion.  Try to deal in facts and be objective and leave conjecture out of the conversation.  Remember not everyone in the world out there can afford the same things you and I can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Timmney and RRA are not garbage I have 3 RRA 2-stage triggers that has over 10K mileage on one many thousands more on the others and still running strong, I have Geissele trigger that are top notch also but I cannot speak to Timmney because no personal experience but I know they sell a lot of them and many people like them.
If you are going to say something is garbage back it up with data other than hearsay opinion.  Try to deal in facts and be objective and leave conjecture out of the conversation.  Remember not everyone in the world out there can afford the same things you and I can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Timmney is garbage
RRA is Garbage

Glad yours has worked for 10k, but all you have to do is a simple search or talk to Adco (they offer a service to upgrade RRA's) and realize that they are much more likely to fail than other options.  Obviously if they last they can't be considered garbage, but considering how many don't make it, I personally wouldn't risk it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Timmney is garbage

RRA is Garbage

It's not hearsay, I have replaced more than a handful of both RRA and Timney triggers for customers.

Just because I did not photograph and write up a story every time I saw a prematurely worn or failing trigger does not mean I'm talking out of my ass. I'm sure there is a lot higher number of people that have not had a single problem with either trigger, but I sure as hell have never personally seen a brokern Geissele. Only ones I heard of Geissele replaced because they had a bad heat treat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not hearsay, I have replaced more than a handful of both RRA and Timney triggers for customers.

Just because I did not photograph and write up a story every time I saw a prematurely worn or failing trigger does not mean I'm talking out of my ass. I'm sure there is a lot higher number of people that have not had a single problem with either trigger, but I sure as hell have never personally seen a brokern Geissele. Only ones I heard of Geissele replaced because they had a bad heat treat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Timmney is garbage
RRA is Garbage

So they can have the same problem that the RRA ones more than likely had also.  I have see one Geissele FCG fail yes it was replaced immediately by Geissele but RRA would do the same thing.  We are dealing with man made object so even the Geissele can fail just like the RRA.  Also when you call something garbage the idea is the back it up with information (archived threads, pics, or something) so people can make informed decisions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So they can have the same problem that the RRA ones more than likely had also.  I have see one Geissele FCG fail yes it was replaced immediately by Geissele but RRA would do the same thing.  We are dealing with man made object so even the Geissele can fail just like the RRA.  Also when you call something garbage the idea is the back it up with information (archived threads, pics, or something) so people can make informed decisions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Timmney is garbage
RRA is Garbage

Everything mechanical will eventually fail.  However, quality can be discussed in terms of mean failure rate; of which RRA's is much higher than Geissele's when discussing 2-stage triggers, not to mention the Geissele giving a higher quality user experience out of the box.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for Geissele.  I put them in every build now.

If you prefer a single stage trigger, my favorite is the JP Fire Control System.  If you go that route, do yourself a favor and have them install it with their safety.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
As I said, I did not feel the need to do a write up on every failed RRA or Timney I saw.

I have replaced quite a few for people. I also had to replace a Timney in a friends gun that quite literally fell apart about 50 rounds into a class. He had less than 1K on the trigger. From now on I will be sure to take pictures of every failed trigger I see and upload them. Not allowed to speak from experience I guess.

I agree anything manmade can and will eventually fail, personally I have seen a disproportionate number of those two brands fail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel it also bears mentioning that the way certain manufacturers like JP get a lighter trigger pull is by using lighter springs, which may result in a failure to ignite some harder primers like those used in some military loadings.  Not so with the Geissele.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Geissele all the way
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Wilson
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
+1 for Geissele.  I put them in every build now.

If you prefer a single stage trigger, my favorite is the JP Fire Control System.  If you go that route, do yourself a favor and have them install it with their safety.  You won't regret it.
View Quote

I have one and its a nice crisp single stage trigger, but I've found that the red/yellow spring combo is only good for about 6-7k rounds before needing replacement.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok I'm going to be the real odd man out here... this is what I use, the Spikes NiB coated FCG.  Although the pull should be similar to milspec it's actually a touch lighter due to significantly reduced friction.  With a touch of gun grease on the surfaces it is B U T T E R smooth, and only $60.  I built my rifle to serve multiple roles and multiple uppers so I needed lower parts that were "good" for all roles.  Is it the best, no, the Geissele probably cannot be beaten, but frankly I can't justify dropping $300 on something that limits the use of the rifle for me.  With a quality barrel (Ranier Match 18") I can shoot MOA without trying very hard, and a 2lb trigger won't improve on what I'm doing for 20% of the cost at about 4.5lbs.  Ultimately for me smooth and crisp mean more than light and touchy.  If money matters give this a look and blow the other $240 on other goodies.      

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/ss/lower-parts-spikes-battle-trigger-p-425.html

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#19]
For a purely competition trigger it's hard to beat the fully adjustable Jewell 2-stage unit.

The single stage pull on the JP I had was great but I sold it off with another rifle and wanted to try a 2-stage this time around.

Unfortunately the Jewell uses a lighter hammer spring than stock and would not work with my .22LR upper so now I use a Geissele SSA-E.

But the Jewell can be adjusted to a lighter 1st & 2nd stage pull, while remaining just as crisp on hammer release as my Geissele.

If it wasn't for my desire to also enjoy my .22LR upper on my lower, I would choose the Jewell over my Geissele.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok I'm going to be the real odd man out here... this is what I use, the Spikes NiB coated FCG.  Although the pull should be similar to milspec it's actually a touch lighter due to significantly reduced friction.  With a touch of gun grease on the surfaces it is B U T T E R smooth, and only $60. I built my rifle to serve multiple roles and multiple uppers so I needed lower parts that were "good" for all roles. Is it the best, no, the Geissele probably cannot be beaten, but frankly I can't justify dropping $300 on something that limits the use of the rifle for me.  With a quality barrel (Ranier Match 18") I can shoot MOA without trying very hard, and a 2lb trigger won't improve on what I'm doing for 20% of the cost at about 4.5lbs.  Ultimately for me smooth and crisp mean more than light and touchy.  If money matters give this a look and blow the other $240 on other goodies.      

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/ss/lower-parts-spikes-battle-trigger-p-425.html

View Quote

What is this purpose that is limited by using a Geissele trigger (and they're not $300 either, more like $180-$220).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
The Hi speed is pretty damn close at $270.
I have one for my 6.5g.  Got the pull down to about 1 1/2 lbs.
My old RRA LAR8 came with the NM 2-stage trigger.  While better than stock mil spec trigger I found them average at best with heavier pull than I would of liked.  Replace it with a Geissele hi speed.  Geissele just feels that
much better.  Hard to use anything else.
I've have the following Geissele triggers: Hi speed(2x), SSA, and S3G.
Hi-speed on my precision rigs, SSA on my SBR, and S3G on my 3gun rig.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd go with the Geissele Hi Speed Match
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I have two, and will never go back.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only bad thing about Geissele triggers, is that they seem to reproduce in your gun safe, when you aren't looking. Same thing happens in your wallet, but in the other direction.
One day that is all I will own. I hope!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top