Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 3:17:48 PM EDT
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and and just purchased my first AR-15 (smith and wesson m&p 15T (model 811041)
I own a couple hand guns and a pistol grip shotgun. I'm not a hunter and I can't even afford to shoot very often but I do love my guns!
I know that the S&W is not the most desirable, but for the 3 times a year ill shoot it it seemed like a reliable gun for my needs. I also think I got it for a decent price at $1020.00 out the door

Anyways........I won't receive the gun for another week yet and I would like to buy some magpul stuff for it before hand.
I'm wanting a different but stock for it. The magpul with the locking lever on it in dark earth color
Do I need to buy the mil spec one? Or commercial?

I would also like to replace the grip with a larger one made my magpul also in dark earth. Does it matter what one I buy?  There seems to be several different types and I'm not sure if they are all universal.

I would like to get a single point bungee sling and single point attachment ring that goes between the stock and the reciecer. And suggestions on what brand(s) I should consider? Is it easy to install?  

And finally I want some magpul rail covers. I'm not planning on mounting anything to the rails anytime soon. So I thought I would get covers (also in dark earth) to protect the rails and keep my hands from getting chewed up. Are these all universal? Again there seems to be several different and I don't want to buy them online to find out they won't fit on my foregrip rails

Also I won't have the money for awhile but would like to put a descent scope or optic on at some point. Is there anything on the market for 200 or less that's even worth the money?

Thanks in advance guys.
-Brayden
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Also if anyone has the 15t I would love to see pictures of what you did to it and what parts they are and where you ordered them from
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Your 15T will be a fine gun. It was my first AR also, but mine was the older one that came with the Troy goodies. They were quite the deal then.

Check out Primary Arms for a decent budget optic. If you go with a budget optic, make sure to get one with a QD so you can get it off and use your iron sights if you have to.

Lots of people are going to tell you to save up a little more for a better optic, and they're right. You can buy a used Aimpoint or Eotech (battery life or reticle, pick one) for not much more than $200. I think I bought a used Aimpoint for around $300, with a special mount. I bought a used Eotech XPS2-2 for not much more. Just watch the EE like a hawk; the good deals will go fast.

Here is what I did with it when I first got it. Cheapo red dot.

Here is how it looked before I cannibalized it for parts.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Milspec Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MIAD Grip
Primary Arms Micro Dot or 30MM Red Dot
Ladder rail covers so you don't increase the diameter of your rails unless you like that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
For $50.00 to $60.00 dollars more Wal-Mart has Colt M4 Carbines just setting on their shelves. AS I recall they run $1078.00 or there abouts. Sorry I could not have got to you sooner.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Magpul XTM (link below) rail covers in FDE and black on my several AR, they're standard mil-spec Picatinny so they would fit on your Troy built rails and other mil-spec brand rails. The XTM rail covers comes in two versions now the standard original smooth texture and the new rough texture.

As for the buttstock I have both the Magpul STR and CTR models, I like them both but if you prefer a comfortable cheek rest get the STR, if you don't care for the cheek rest get the CTR model.

For low price optics you could get now while saving up for good brand optic, I would also suggest Primary Arms, go to the Industry section and their link is in the dealers list there.

Most of my accessories I buy from the AR15.com Equipment Exchange Industry dealers and members with good feedback, my favorite dealers here are Bravo Company, Rainier Arms, DSG Arms, Aim Surplus and SKD.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG510/174

Magpul STR stock - link (Rainier Arms site)

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is mine.
Nothing wrong with the S&W

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is mine.
Nothing wrong with the S&W

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=54377
View Quote

that sir is a nice looking gun!
so is it a mil spec butstock i need to buy?
what frip is that? all magpul stuff i assume in dark earth?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup mil spec, sliped right on.
all dark earth all mag pul.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It was also my first AR. I sold it though. Here is a picture of her the way she was set up.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top