Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 3:37:07 PM EDT
Does any one have a list of manufactures for forged lower reciever blanks? I have heard there are only 3 or 4 companies that actually take raw aluminum to a forged blank reciever product - from which all the others name brand companies purchase and then mill.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several forges in operation. There are also several machine shops doing the machine work. There is a list floating around a few of the threads on this site.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a list (prolly incomplete) of forge operations for AR receivers:

Cerro Forge
Brass Aluminum Forging
Alcoa Forge
Cardinal Forge
Kaiser Aluminum
Mueller Industries
Anchor Harvey
Martin Marietta

Further, are you referring to 0% or 80% lowers?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They are almost all forged.  You will normally pay more for billet which is the only other way I know they are being made.  I'm not sure anyone is producing a cast lower these days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's a list (prolly incomplete) of forge operations for AR receivers:

Cerro Forge
Brass Aluminum Forging
Alcoa Forge
Cardinal Forge
Kaiser Aluminum
Mueller Industries
Anchor Harvey
Martin Marietta

Further, are you referring to 0% or 80% lowers?

Add Anderson Machine.  I know my Lanco Tactical lower is made by them.

Doesn't YHM also forge their own parts?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard this as well.
I think there is just a hand full of companies making forged lowers to whatever percentage for the manufacturers to finish.
I heard some are finished 99% except for name and serial #, then they are finished per that manufacturers order

Aren't most Billet lowers completely made (CNC'd) by the manufacturers themselves from blanks?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't most Billet lowers completely made (CNC'd) by the manufacturers themselves from blanks?

Billet receivers are machined from bar stock usually using CNC machines. Forged receivers are first forged (shaped in a die) to rough size and then machined, usually using a CNC machine. Yes, you can machine a receiver using a Bridgeport type machine but it is much more operator training dependent,
Pat

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top