Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:52:18 AM EDT
So I often see it written that pinned gas blocks are highly preferable to gas blocks that use set screws or some other retention device. While I completely understand the logic, I want to play devil's advocate and ask: has anyone actually experienced firsthand a quality non-pinned gas block coming loose, or heard about such an incident from a reliable source? We are also assuming of course that it was properly installed.

BTW, all my gas blocks are pinned. I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, but doesn't the M4A1 sopmod block II include the daniel defense MK12 gas block which has set screws? If its good enough for the sopmod program, I would think that it's g2g for the most part.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Badger Ordnance Gas Block....Set Screwed...Dimpled barrel for one of the screws....accompanied with Loctite, have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Even with the dimpled barrel, I would think that the heat would make the locktite useless. I am having this same question for my next build, and for my bcm build that Im installed a free float tube. I think with my current BCM upper that I will just convert the A2 Fsb to a low profile and make use of the existing holes drilled into the barrel for the pins.

Would rockset be more heat resistant?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Rocksett is indeed more heat resistant. Stake the screw anyway.

I am indeed aware of instances of gas blocks coming loose.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Not much to talk about:

pinned > clamp >> set screw
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always rolled with set screws. I have a White Oak barrel, dimpled twice, with set screws and red loctite. Gun has over 5K through it with no issues. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Just installed a DD low profile with two screws/clamp. Just used loctite, no dimples. Haven't shot it yet. Will have to test it out and check the screws after shooting it for the first time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have any pics of set screw staking?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just installed a DD low profile with two screws/clamp. Just used loctite, no dimples. Haven't shot it yet. Will have to test it out and check the screws after shooting it for the first time.

How would a dimpled barrel help for a clamped on gas block?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So I often see it written that pinned gas blocks are highly preferable to gas blocks that use set screws or some other retention device. While I completely understand the logic, I want to play devil's advocate and ask: has anyone actually experienced firsthand a quality non-pinned gas block coming loose, or heard about such an incident from a reliable source? We are also assuming of course that it was properly installed.

BTW, all my gas blocks are pinned. I'm just curious.

milspec monekys did a "test" basically having to put a pipe wrench on it to turn the clamp on types.

If they are torqued correctly, they will be fine
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you dimple the barrel where the set screws contact, it allows them bite into the barrel and not just friction

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

breaking, or the screws backing out?

manf? Just normal use or was a sight other device on the gas block?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't know all the details. Range use. Enough that I insist on pinning.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Midwest Industries low-pro gas block on my Recce. I torqued them to the specs in the directions it came with, used red Lock-tight and have never had a problem. I check the rifle over once a year. I check the Troy BUIS front and rear as well as the gas block set screws, never ever an issue OP. Simply mark the screws and a slight area around them with a white paint pen once torqued to the correct poundage. If the painted lines stay lined up... then your good to go. It's very easy to see if a screw is walking out using this method...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have any pics of set screw staking?  

Nope. I only know one guy that does it.

He also staked a Short Dot into an SPR-E.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]

There are two instances of "dimples" that would be relevant here. First, some barrels have a dimple on the bottom, directly opposite the gas port. Non-pinned gas blocks (either clamp-on or set screw type) may have a corresponding hole in the bottom. You just line up that hole with the barrel dimple and the gas port automatically lines up. Secondly, you could have dimples on the barrel where set screws bite. Those wouldn't apply to the clamp-on type.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top