Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 8:20:40 AM EDT
I am looking into getting a couple AR's for the first time. I want quality products that I can source parts for rather easily. I have been looking at the Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced as a starting point. I have searched the forum and found some info on these guns and I am leaning this way, but don't want to make a mistake either.

I am looking for honest opinions as to weather or not this is a good starting point for a rifle for my son and myself. My experience is in bolt guns and 1911's but the Sig looks to be a well made rifle.

Oh yeah, I don't think I want optics, but for sure do not want a rifle that is optics only.

Thank you,

Michael
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a budget?

I have heard some good things about the M400 but I would suggest looking at Colt, BCM, or DD for a first rifle if you can afford the $1000 to ~$1500 price range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a budget, but i do not want to go overboard either. At this point, I am looking to spend $1000.00 for each rifle, but I am willing to add up to $250.00 to each one, if needed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the M400 enhanced. Picked it up new for $850. It is a very nice rifle. Has some extras such as QD sockets in either side of the lower, extractor support in barrel extension, a receiver tightening lug in the lower that pushes up on the upper to ensure a tight fit with no play (pretty sure you can adjust). As far as how I have mine setup. I have an EOTech 512, and also MagPul MBUS.  Also added the MagPul trigger guard. The rifle is great!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Check your local wal-mart and you could pick up a colt for around 1000. A good range gun and first ar is the smith and wesson sport. Found one at my local gun shop for 650.00.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't have a budget, but i do not want to go overboard either. At this point, I am looking to spend $1000.00 for each rifle, but I am willing to add up to $250.00 to each one, if needed.

I would go Colt LE6920 MOE. You can get one OTD for about ~$1150. Great starting point for you. You'll get an A2 front post and rear MBUS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go Colt LE6920 MOE. You can get one OTD for about ~$1150. Great starting point for you. You'll get an A2 front post and rear MBUS.

While the Colt is a quality AR, it's a bit overpriced for what you're getting (a bare bones, totally stock AR-15). I would look into some of the offerings from BCM before buying a Colt. Also consider PSA; they use excellent components in their AR's. I would also include Spikes, but the wait time on those is, at this point, prebastrous (I own a Spikes and am a Spikes fanboi too).
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check your local wal-mart and you could pick up a colt for around 1000. A good range gun and first ar is the smith and wesson sport. Found one at my local gun shop for 650.00.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I refuse to buy anything from Walmart. I would rather spend my money at a local dealer. Please don't take this statement wrong, I am not trying to be a jackass. I will look into the S&W too.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top