Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2012 8:59:29 AM EDT
New to the AR world and need some advice.
How much trouble is it to change or have a pinned brake changed?
I bought an 16" NY approved AR with a pinned Brake, but I don't like it at all.
The muzzle blast coming out the sides drives me and the guys at the benches next to me crazy.
Every time I let a round go, the muzzle blast almost knocks the guy's hat off.
This is what I have

Is it worth the trouble to change it?, and What would you change it to?
It can't be a "flash hider" in NY.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Rip that sucker off and put a JOJOS break on. It looks like a flash hider but it's a break. CT state police asked them to do something about the same problem you have several years ago. It's under the Brownells name now....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=30944/Product/AR-15-M16-MUZZLE-BREAK
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
ADCO may be your friend..drop them an e-mail
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I am fortunate that I do not live in a commie state and just use the plain jane birdcage that came on my rifle.

I never fully understood what the big deal is with muzzle devices.

Lawmakers in the liberal states are concerned that a device that minimally reduces muzzle flash will somehow cause the owner of the rifle to commit murder.
People spend lots of money buying brakes to mimic the look of a hider but pay the penalty of excess noise to do so.

Others in a free state spend lots of money buying brakes to "reduce the massive recoil" of a .223 rifle or to reduce flash ever so slightly.

Now, I do believe that anyone should be able to put whatever on their rifle that they want with no dumbass laws from our elected government prohibiting them from doing so. Those of you that have to deal with the stupid laws I feel for you.

However, I know if I lived in a commie state I would just buy the unthreaded barrels with a target crown and be happy. I do not need a flash hider, brake, or a bayonet lug for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ADCO may be your friend..drop them an e-mail

This, also check out jprifles.com they got some neat stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a good guide in the DIY section
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
For a replacement brake, check out the Spikes DynaComp.  It's not nearly as loud/concussive as most brakes, and makes for a soft shooter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into a Levang.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replys.
I was on an awesome camping trip with no internet for a while.

I looked into all of those suggestions.
It turns out that the brake is welded all the way around and would be a PIA to change (meaning $$$)
I'm going to leave it as is and sell it to someone else and just buy a different upper.

This one is a Bushmaster 16" 1/9 H-bar A-2 upper. It was a good purchase for my first AR, but
After shooting it, I realize that I don't like shooting with my glasses on.
I'm definately a Flatop with optics upper guy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Have ADCO pin a Levang on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#10]
madcratebuilder - I'm in NY. It's not cost effective to ship it to Ohio to have it changed.

I decided to shoot it as is until I sell the upper.
I'll just shoot it on days when the benches next to me aren't being used.

Thanks again all for the advice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top