BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Are you like 18?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Ah... before my time haha
Are you like 18?

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
@LsuJon

You've seen Duck Tales I'm sure - Scrooge McDuck:

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Glitch bump
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
@LsuJon

You've seen Duck Tales I'm sure - Scrooge McDuck:

https://i.gifer.com/KhZT.gif
View Quote

I swear I remember Duck Tales still being a thing even when I was in HS (late 90's).
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That was an early morning cartoon thing, just never knew his name haha... sorry I wasn't born sooner guys
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That was an early morning cartoon thing, just never knew his name haha... sorry I wasn't born sooner guys
View Quote

I swear, the 90's were just 10 years ago.

*Goes outside to yell at clouds*

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes

Haha - I hear ya.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Went to war for the first time in 91' as a seasoned NCO already

CD
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View All Quotes

CD

I was in 4th grade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]

I was in 4th grade.
View All Quotes

CD

I was in 4th grade.

Yeah, I was 6 years old in '91.

I actually remember sitting in front of my parents' tv on the floor playing with a toy aircraft carrier while the news was showing footage of F-14s launching off the deck of some carrier in the Gulf - news was all over the Gulf War.

I still have my fucking Desert Storm trading cards somewhere in a box at my parents' house. Haha will never forget those things - with the Desert Storm camo pattern all around the edges.

I remember how excited my brother and I got when our deck came with an A-10, an M1 Abrams, and a Tomahawk Cruise Missile.

Trying to find a cool Block II pic to get us back on topic here (fucking Scrooge McDuck!)...
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
@Vehemence

You were asking for pics in the wild of Harris bipods on Block IIs - there are a ton, but here's a cool one:

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I had just made the E7/SFC list the day before our SR mission.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
@Combat_Diver

Quick question - I know you said recently you've been getting a lot of FN bolts as replacement parts. Just wondering if you've also seen/used any FN-made small parts like detents, springs, pins, etc. ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DiscipulusArmorum:
@Combat_Diver

Quick question - I know you said recently you've been getting a lot of FN bolts as replacement parts. Just wondering if you've also seen/used any FN-made small parts like detents, springs, pins, etc. ?
View Quote

Haven't ordered any of those in a bit as the come packed in 100 pc bags usually.  Today got some Geissele SSF triggers and Toolcraft bolt carriers.

CD
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Haven't ordered any of those in a bit as the come packed in 100 pc bags usually.  Today got some Geissele SSF triggers and Toolcraft bolt carriers.

CD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DiscipulusArmorum:
@Combat_Diver

CD

What type of Toolcraft bcg? Trying to find the equivalent for a new build.

Chrome phosphate?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Scrooge McDuck first swam in money in 1949.  That’s probably long enough ago that our drill sergeants’ drill sergeants knew about it.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, to CD and anyone else who has had to inspect a couple hundred rifles at a time: what’s the PM interval for fielded weapons in deployed environments?

Reading the TMs makes it look like M4/M16 family PMs are essentially “in garrison” activities, and I sort of doubt that’s entirely true.

As a former Air Force QA chief, I kinda want to know what “the real world” does in such situations.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#18]

Chrome phosphate?
View All Quotes

Chrome phosphate?

Same as a Colt or FN.  Didn't open the wrappers up today.  Just saw their cage code on the wrappers.

Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Scrooge McDuck first swam in money in 1949.  That’s probably long enough ago that our drill sergeants’ drill sergeants knew about it.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, to CD and anyone else who has had to inspect a couple hundred rifles at a time: what’s the PM interval for fielded weapons in deployed environments?

Reading the TMs makes it look like M4/M16 family PMs are essentially “in garrison” activities, and I sort of doubt that’s entirely true.

As a former Air Force QA chief, I kinda want to know what “the real world” does in such situations.

Guns get checked before and after deployment at home station.  Once here I keep an eye on them and gauge as needed.  I generally make 2 inspections of their guns during a 6 month deployment.  If close, I replace.

CD
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to both of you guys for the bipod pics
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Guns get checked before and after deployment at home station.  Once here I keep an eye on them and gauge as needed.  I generally make 2 inspections of their guns during a 6 month deployment.  If close, I replace.

CD
View Quote

The pre/post deployment inspections were what I got from the TM - mostly the pre-deployment part, but on return makes sense.

So, if a squad comes in and a guy says “my rifle seems off,” you take a look?  Or is it more organized than that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

Anyway, just out of curiosity, to CD and anyone else who has had to inspect a couple hundred rifles at a time: what’s the PM interval for fielded weapons in deployed environments
View Quote

Technically pre/post and annual service is still required.

Weapons would still be brought in for specific issues, of course.

We would perform "fly away" missions to smaller, unsupported FOBs to do service inspections of entire units equipment. I always enjoyed working aviation units weapons. Had a blast working a helo units weapons at Fenty. Great guys to work with and they took care of us.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]

I swear I remember Duck Tales still being a thing even when I was in HS (late 90's).
View Quote
I remember duck tales and I was born in 91
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Any info on the NXS 2.5-10X42 replacing the X32 or X24. Mike
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Awesome, thanks man I owe you a beer 🤙
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Is that a 4-16 ATACR on that Block II?

That's fucking sick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, yes it is, I ordered mine yesterday. A NXS but not far off
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mikelemons409:
View Quote

What scope mount is that exactly?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Spuhr 30mm cantilever I think 🤔
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Big old titties. Lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Big old titties. Lol
View Quote
I mean name a better signaling device then big ole tittles haha

pic thread:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:46:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#32]

Spuhr 30mm cantilever I think
View All Quotes

Spuhr 30mm cantilever I think

Is it?

I can't seem to find any that resemble it.

EDIT: Think I found it - it's a Larue LT845 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By APSArmament:

Technically pre/post and annual service is still required.

Weapons would still be brought in for specific issues, of course.

We would perform "fly away" missions to smaller, unsupported FOBs to do service inspections of entire units equipment. I always enjoyed working aviation units weapons. Had a blast working a helo units weapons at Fenty. Great guys to work with and they took care of us.
View Quote

Excellent info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks PSA Easter sale!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Good folks,

Think I've decided on going with a magpul AFG, BUT is there a more clone correct version in regards to the afg or afg2.

Also, with the picatinny rails....I feel like the OG would work better/feel better....however what are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NeedsMoreMausers:
Good folks,

Think I've decided on going with a magpul AFG, BUT is there a more clone correct version in regards to the afg or afg2.

Also, with the picatinny rails....I feel like the OG would work better/feel better....however what are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks!
View Quote
I prefer the og one especially shooting suppressed as the wings catch allot of the carbon coming from the gas block saving my shooting gloves.

As far as clone correct, it's a it an issued item but can be bought at every base's PX or Mart so they are extremely common.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Is an aimpoint comp m2 (M68 CCO) technically "clone correct" for block ii or no?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rhs77430:
Is an aimpoint comp m2 (M68 CCO) technically "clone correct" for block ii or no?
View Quote
They have been seen but it's not a block II issued optic. Sooooo Technically yes?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#39]
They have been seen but it's not a block II issued optic. Sooooo Technically yes?
View Quote

Sweeet.  That makes the CompM2 by far the cheapest 'correct enough' optic.  And I like aimpoints a lot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#40]

I actually remember sitting in front of my parents' tv on the floor playing with a toy aircraft carrier while the news was showing footage of F-14s launching off the deck of some carrier in the Gulf - news was all over the Gulf War.

I still have my fucking Desert Storm trading cards somewhere in a box at my parents' house. Haha will never forget those things - with the Desert Storm camo pattern all around the edges.

I remember how excited my brother and I got when our deck came with an A-10, an M1 Abrams, and a Tomahawk Cruise Missile.

Trying to find a cool Block II pic to get us back on topic here (fucking Scrooge McDuck!)...
View All Quotes

CD

I was in 4th grade.

They wheeled out the TV's for us to watch footage of the invasion. They did the same for Mogadishu, which my cousin was in on. You do that now and all the Karens would sue the shool into oblivion for psychologically harming their children.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#41]

They wheeled out the TV's for us to watch footage of the invasion. They did the same for Mogadishu, which my cousin was in on. You do that now and all the Karens would sue the shool into oblivion for psychologically harming their children.
View Quote

Same here, I remember in highschool the day of the air offensive my history teacher turned the TV on and said "here, this is history".
We were like ok cool no class work. We were clueless
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Virginia_Shooter] [#42]
Anyone here used the FN ambi selectors? Any real difference between those and the colts? (Other than them being Colt obv)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:
Anyone here used the FN ambi selectors? Any real difference between those and the colts? (Other than them being Colt obv)
View Quote

I might be wrong, but I think they're not just the same in looks, but literally the same because (I think) they both get their ambi safeties from Schmid tool (the little S mark on the safety lever marks it).
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]

I might be wrong, but I think they're not just the same in looks, but literally the same because (I think) they both get their ambi safeties from Schmid tool (the little S mark on the safety lever marks it).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:

I don't think they look the same though.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Any in the wild pics of 2.5-10 x24 with NF rings? I have this setup for a seal recce build but couldn't resist putting it on the block II. I really like it but not sure if its correct.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DBrock07:
Any in the wild pics of 2.5-10 x24 with NF rings? I have this setup for a seal recce build but couldn't resist putting it on the block II. I really like it but not sure if its correct.

https://i.imgur.com/K594FLF.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Have any of the Schmidt LPVOs been used/seen on these ITW?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#48]
If anyone needs one, AU just got some of the Colt ambi selectors back in stock:

Colt Ambidextrous Semi-Auto Safety Selector - $44

They got some last week but sold out in a few hours, so these probably won't last long.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
If anyone needs one, AU just got some of the Colt ambi selectors back in stock:

Colt Ambidextrous Semi-Auto Safety Selector - $44

They got some last week but sold out in a few hours, so these probably won't last long.
View Quote

thats the hotdog ones though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone seen photos of the Night Force 2.5-10X32 in use? I know NSW and others in SOCOM used that scope on MK12 & RECCE rifles, just haven't seen any on a Block 2 yet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top