User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I know it isn’t correct for the block II, but I’m 99% sure that I’m going use a Geissele charging handle. The question is, do I go with black or DDC?

The DDC is actually in use, so I’m kind of leaning that way, but since it isn’t actually correct for this particular rifle part of me is thinking go black so it blends in.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Glitch
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Glitch
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
I know it isn’t correct for the block II, but I’m 99% sure that I’m going use a Geissele charging handle. The question is, do I go with black or DDC?

The DDC is actually in use, so I’m kind of leaning that way, but since it isn’t actually correct for this particular rifle part of me is thinking go black so it blends in.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Once URGIs are issued and spare parts available I'm sure they'll get used in Block II as long as Block IIs remain in service.

CD
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Once URGIs are issued and spare parts available I'm sure they'll get used in Block II as long as Block IIs remain in service.

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thoughts?

CD
I had considered that, but wasn’t sure.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the Block 2 out to slay some deer.

Looks a little better with some blood
I know, the optic is wrong...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CPDowning:
https://i.imgur.com/Jlsosqz.jpg

View Quote
I'll be running the same optic on my mini recce when it eventually gets back from bushnell.  Or at least I'll be running the replacement.  

(had a lens loose inside, and recoil would jar it in and out of position so one shot was clear, the next fuzzy, etc.--no issue getting it replaced, just been waiting forever cause they're backordered but "should ship by the end of the month")
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

My first pull (early days) here I studied MHs and tried to find what I was convinced was a legit one; even had a terp or two take me to "real" gun shops (not a FOB bazaar) out in the villes...and I became convinced that the Afghans can fake together just about anything.

Not saying yours/all are fake but that I wasn't able to determine for myself what was/n't real...and then, when the 'ghans figiured out that some would pay a lot for "junk" guns, the prices went way up.
View Quote
I got a legit one.

runner_rifle2 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Everyone wants British ones, so they don't bother faking the military contract rifles made in-country waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.  

Even had a friend generous enough to donate a round so I could give the death-grip trigger (easily 20 pounds of pull weight, probably more) a try:

There's a youtube video here
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Get to clonin', boys!

Back in 2011 timeframe one of our guys asked the armorer to cut down his FSB leaving the big hole in the top of the rail; once others saw his, they wanted theirs shaved down, too.

I wonder if anyone ever cloned an FSP rail-non FSB barrel?

Seen in the wild!
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5634_jpg-739385.JPG
Didn't have anymore nonFSP rails and no new FSB barrels, so FSP rails with low profile gas blocks, new barrels (mixed Govt Profile/SOCOM).  Only thing used was the Bolt Carrier (new bolt), receiver and rail.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5652_jpg-739387.JPG

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Back in 2011 timeframe one of our guys asked the armorer to cut down his FSB leaving the big hole in the top of the rail; once others saw his, they wanted theirs shaved down, too.

Seen in the wild!
@KILLERB6 Funny story. I did but on accident. I had traded off my first RIS II for my first ACOG then got an FSP RIS II. I was stuck w/ the chopped down FSB and the FSP rail for a bit.

A trade with the man you quoted, me receiving a Colt SOCOM barrel out of the deal is what saved me from that mess

I still have a pic of it somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#12]
@killerb6 found it.

It looked a lot better after Combat Diver sent me that Colt bbl

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
View All Quotes

Didn't have anymore nonFSP rails and no new FSB barrels, so FSP rails with low profile gas blocks, new barrels (mixed Govt Profile/SOCOM).  Only thing used was the Bolt Carrier (new bolt), receiver and rail.

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]
CQDs without any markings.  They were on 14.5" URGs assembled by Crane.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
View All Quotes

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
You hatin' on my gas block heat vent?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#16]
CQDs without any markings.  They were on 14.5" URGs assembled by Crane.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5938_jpg-746228.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. Looks like they're parkerized.

Also looks like rust spots forming on the two right 99051's. But I forget what metal the body is made from, and if its even ferrous.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
View Quote
Cut down FSB and installed low profile gas blocks (FYI, manual calls them gas cylinders)

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
View All Quotes

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
That gaping hole has neither function or form. I get why it could happen in real life, I just can't imagine ever owning an abomination like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Also looks like rust spots forming on the two right 99051's. But I forget what metal the body is made from, and if its even ferrous.
View Quote
Lint from the red cleaning rags

CD
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]
That gaping hole has neither function or form. I get why it could happen in real life, I just can't imagine ever owning an abomination like that.
View All Quotes

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!
I probably hated it even more than you do.

The FSP rail makes the gun a complete PITA to work on. Have to remove muzzle device (very much a pain if pinned/welded), then loosen the rail at the mounting plate, then knock out the FSB pins, then slide off the rail and gas block together. Whereas the continuous is much easier. Undo the plate bolts and slide off the rail.

Ill prob never own another FSP because of that alone, and it only makes the weapon more nose heavy retaining the FSB, a rail that long and forward mounted accessories.

As you said, no pros to it lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]

CD
View All Quotes

CD
That'll do it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]

The FSP rail makes the gun a complete PITA to work on. Have to remove muzzle device (very much a pain if pinned/welded), then loosen the rail at the mounting plate, then knock out the FSB pins, then slide off the rail and gas block together. Whereas the continuous is much easier. Undo the plate bolts and slide off the rail.

Ill prob never own another FSP because of that alone, and it only makes the weapon more nose heavy retaining the FSB, a rail that long and forward mounted accessories.

View All Quotes

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!

You just made an enemy now. I don't necessarily prefer the FSP rails but I don't hate them either. 1/2 of my rifles have them and I frequent the FSP and free float FSB pic threads. The FSB is kind of in the way of a laser, remote switch, your hand... and it does get hot... BUT, it's better for irons only and in conjunction with a red dot sight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
You just made an enemy now. I don't necessarily prefer the FSP rails but I don't hate them either. 1/2 of my rifles have them and I frequent the FSP and free float FSB pic threads. The FSB is kind of in the way of a laser, remote switch, your hand... and it does get hot... BUT, it's better for irons only and in conjunction with a red dot sight.
View All Quotes

CD
Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!

Oops?

Continuous for the win!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#24]

View Quote
#fspmasterrace

SortaCloney1 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

SortaCloney2 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CPDowning:
https://i.imgur.com/Jlsosqz.jpg

View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#26]
I’ve owned both the standard and FSP rails, prefer the FSP other than how easy it is to touch the FSB inadvertently.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleu] [#28]
The start of a new project. Initially I was going to do a Block I/1.5, but I found a FSP RIS II for cheap. However, the seller of the FSP was having issues and wasn't able to get the rail on time but thankfully I got a standard RIS II thanks to @871JZ.

Didn't want to spend the money on a 4 prong, and I already had a Warcomp laying around. Plans are to get a KAC front sight and KAC rear sight to replace the Matech. I also need a light (either M600 or M952V) and possibly a Geissele Airborne Charging Handle with Black Friday coming up. I know the ACH isn't correct, but may trickle down as mentioned above.

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#29]
Originally Posted By tripleu:
The start of a new project. Initially I was going to do a Block I/1.5, but I found a FSP RIS II for cheap. However, the seller of the FSP was having issues and wasn't able to get the rail on time but thankfully I got a standard RIS II thanks to @871JZ.

Didn't want to spend the money on a 4 prong, and I already had a Warcomp laying around. Plans are to get a KAC front sight and KAC rear sight to replace the Matech. I also need a light (either M600 or M952V) and possibly a Geissele Airborne Charging Handle with Black Friday coming up. I know the ACH isn't correct, but may trickle down as mentioned above.

https://i.imgur.com/BKy0aYN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ruLCgK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bcdb3sc.jpg
View Quote
@tripleu

Yup! I recognize that rail and those panels! Build looks great and I'm glad you were able to put the rail to use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#30]

https://i.imgur.com/BKy0aYN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5ruLCgK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bcdb3sc.jpg
View Quote
I like it! Especially considering supposed location
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Thanks! Currently, the gun has a special mag lock (see the bolt catch is slightly different) which only allows the mag to be released with the receivers split open. I am hoping to move next year.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:39:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#32]
Thanks! Currently, the gun has a special mag lock (see the bolt catch is slightly different) which only allows the mag to be released with the receivers split open. I am hoping to move next year.
View All Quotes

I went with the AR Maglock so I could still use my Geissele Maritime bolt catch and be fixed mag. PITA to still have last round hold open, but CA is only a temporary problem for me thank God.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#33]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
$35 Matechs at SAC today.  
View Quote
They're that price all the time on ebay
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#36]
$2 fde ergo rail ladder 3 packs

https://www.cdnnsports.com/picatinny-rail-cover-low-profile-fde-ergo-3-pack.html#.W_ik_KRMHYU
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
https://i.imgur.com/RPwxn38.jpg
View Quote
Man you really did a number on that ATPIAL-C retention screw. Best send to me for safekeeping
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Swapped out 4 new uppers for 4 shot out uppers.  Just broke them down, cleaned them in the solvent tank and staging for rebuild.

Attachment Attached File

Instead of busting my allen wrenches and since my heat gun went tits up trying to remove the gas blocks (usually non reusable anyway).  Just cut the shot out barrels to remove the barrel nut.  About 15-20 seconds with the portable bandsaw.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Cut down FSB and installed low profile gas blocks (FYI, manual calls them gas cylinders)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5652_jpg-746230.JPG

CD
View All Quotes

Get to clonin', boys!

Seen in the wild!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5652_jpg-746230.JPG

CD
May have to clone this

@Combat_Diver what low profile gas block did you use? Also, how did you cut down the FSB exactly?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Swapped out 4 new uppers for 4 shot out uppers.  Just broke them down, cleaned them in the solvent tank and staging for rebuild.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5955_jpg-751380.JPG

Instead of busting my allen wrenches and since my heat gun went tits up trying to remove the gas blocks (usually non reusable anyway).  Just cut the shot out barrels to remove the barrel nut.  About 15-20 seconds with the portable bandsaw.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5956_jpg-751382.JPG

CD
View Quote
Lol Army strong
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#42]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

May have to clone this

@Combat_Diver what low profile gas block did you use? Also, how did you cut down the FSB exactly?
View Quote
Cylinder, Gas Gun Cage Code 9K646, Coronet Machinery Corp in Bethel CT
NSN 1005-01-597-1170 Its the same for the Mk12 gas block that everyone calls a DD Mk12 gas block but I've never seen their cage code on them.  Have never seen any identifying marks on them either.

Take the band saw to the upper arms of the FSB and cut off.  Trim off the bayonet lug and sling studs.  Use grinder to round edges down.  Then cold blue the exposed metal.  Use taper pins to secure back to barrel.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#43]
NSN 1005-01-597-1170 Its the same for the Mk12 gas block that everyone calls a DD Mk12 gas block but I've never seen their cage code on them.  Have never seen any identifying marks on them either.

Take the band saw to the upper arms of the FSB and cut off.  Trim off the bayonet lug and sling studs.  Use grinder to round edges down.  Then cold blue the exposed metal.  Use taper pins to secure back to barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5957_jpg-751575.JPG

CD
View All Quotes

May have to clone this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5957_jpg-751575.JPG

CD
Thanks!

So you used either cut down FSB or Mk12 gas block? What was the deciding factor between the 2?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks!

So you used either cut down FSB or Mk12 gas block? What was the deciding factor between the 2?
View Quote
Only once used the cut down FSB.  Factor is the barrel on how it is set up to either receive the low profile gas block ie dimples.  I've also shaved the low profile gas block to fit under the RIS II FSB rail.  It doesn't clear the bottom rail if not shaved down on sides.  FN barrels that I use don't have the taper pin cuts in them.

CD
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Man you really did a number on that ATPIAL-C retention screw. Best send to me for safekeeping
View Quote
It doesn’t even have labels or the illuminator cover anymore. Looks pretty much like my issued one did after a couple of years.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#46]
It doesn’t even have labels or the illuminator cover anymore. Looks pretty much like my issued one did after a couple of years.

https://i.imgur.com/7eBnCeM.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/7eBnCeM.jpg
Don't need labels anyways. Just need laser beamz and illum beamz knoyimsayin
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
What are the acceptable weapon lights these days?

I see that the WMX200 isn’t really available anymore, and I’d like to use something correct-ish.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#48]

I see that the WMX200 isn’t really available anymore, and I’d like to use something correct-ish.
View Quote
The Incandescent M3X in tan (weak ass light output-wise.) or any Surefire Scout. (The wise choice)
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#49]
The Incandescent M3X in tan (weak ass light output-wise.) or any Surefire Scout. (The wise choice)
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I really prefer a RISII FSP setup, but shaving it and saving some front end weight is not only practical but tactical.  It's funny to hear cloners complain about the guns being ugly and not refined enough in the wild.  God help us..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top