User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _Iceman_:
The gents at sharpshootingspokane are fantastic guys, but I believe they may have gotten their "SOCS" confused on this one.  That upper has nothing to do with MARSOC.
View Quote
@_Iceman_

Tell us about it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
bump
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:25:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#5]
I prefer more to just stop by and check out pics of cools guns than to participate.  I do appreciate your passion for MIL Clones, and there is some good info shared in this thread from time to time.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171790/Photo_May_30,_3_04_38_PM_preview-560151.jpg
View Quote
@_Iceman_ Holy Diver. Do those knobs deploy the M203 tabs externally? I have never seen this version (prototype?) of the M4 FSP RIS II
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
@_Iceman_ Holy Diver. Do those knobs deploy the M203 tabs externally? I have never seen this version (prototype?) of the M4 FSP RIS II
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I prefer more to just stop by and check out pics of cools guns than to participate.  I do appreciate your passion for MIL Clones, and there is some good info shared in this thread from time to time.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171790/Photo_May_30,_3_04_38_PM_preview-560151.jpg
They hold the bottom rail in the top rail. Then you use them to connect the M203 to the hangers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
They hold the bottom rail in the top rail. Then you use them to connect the M203 to the hangers.
View All Quotes
Ah so the prototype to the current flush fitting flat head screws? Wish I could see the hangers in there
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah so the prototype to the current flush fitting flat head screws? Wish I could see the hangers in there
View All Quotes
Yeah, but only 2 instead of 4. The DD light and sling mounts of the era had the same type of screws. And there were 2 extra bolt up screws in the front of the rail IIRC. The hangers were thick aluminum pieces, not the sheet metal and spacer ones that the RIS II has.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Still waiting on my socom...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steinhatchee] [#11]
#EXPSMasterRace?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Jesus Christ.
View Quote
I said the same shit when I saw it, then immediately remembered that swat guy with the backwards eotech
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
I said the same shit when I saw it, then immediately remembered that swat guy with the backwards eotech
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spooled:

Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I go back and forth between this setup and an Elcan in my head. I wonder if theres too much overlap with the mk12 with the Nightforce.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
He was getting his Bruce Willis on.....

Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Should I do a none FSB M4a1 or an FSB M4a1? need help this is like picking favorite child lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Americasteam21:
Should I do a none FSB M4a1 or an FSB M4a1? need help this is like picking favorite child lol
View Quote
FSB FTW

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#22]
What makes you like the FSb more then lopro
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Third pin for the win.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Both!  Serious whatever rail you can find for a good price then build.

CD
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#26]
What makes you like the FSb more then lopro
View Quote
Its what I have. I just love the look is all...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Yes
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool, I can post in this thread now.  I just need a light and I am calling it done.  Probably pick up an M300 in tan.

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]
@Americasteam21

Here is another pic of mine I took this AM.  I will probably do a non fsb in the future as well tho...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milla] [#30]
Excuse the potato pic, I didn't want to break out the camera gear tonight. Still need a taupe KAC front and a legit KAC rear BUIS. Also want a new optic, maybe an ACOG or something.

Stag lower
Colt SOCOM 14.5 Barrel
Colt Upper
Coyote Brown B5 SOPMOD
Colt BCG and charging handle
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Ooo looky what I found, never seen this before. Rolled factory

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#32]
What should I build...

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Block 1 or Block 2 CQBR. Or 1.5
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
You should finish the lowers first.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#35]
When I built my block II, I did it as cheap as possible. A couple things I went cheap on was an Aero upper receiver and Toolcraft bcg. Since Ive found out about shark arms, Ive been considering swapping my receiver and bcg over to colt parts as well. Does this make sense or am I being over critical about it? It looks good and shoots good as is so id be tearing apart a perfectly fine firearm just to have "c" stamps that cost a lot more
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Just took this in on a trade. Colt upper, 4 prong, and a socom barrel. Think I might have gotten scammed though, something weird about where it was made...

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
Ooo looky what I found, never seen this before. Rolled factory

https://i.imgur.com/1J4VNKY.jpg
View Quote
IIRC, that was one of the "look how crappy Colt has gotten" complaints from a while back (like the'90s?).  Roll marks used to be all rolled (thus the name), until CNC's efficiency pushed roll mark tooling into the back of the tool crib.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Just about done. Think I have her right where I want her....

upload pictures
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice!
Pic threads

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

IIRC, that was one of the "look how crappy Colt has gotten" complaints from a while back (like the'90s?).  Roll marks used to be all rolled (thus the name), until CNC's efficiency pushed roll mark tooling into the back of the tool crib.
View Quote
That is a new limited run 2018 Colt socom
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Steinhatchee:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Steinhatchee:
I have 2 more I finished and another two colt lowers.

I have 20 lowers total so I gotta get more uppers.

scored this new colt upper(minus BCG) with used RAS for $425

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 3rd1mech:
That is a new limited run 2018 Colt socom
View Quote
The point is that it takes special tooling to do a real “roll mark,” which makes a limited run item like that pretty special - not “crappy” the way lots of folks seemed to complain back in the day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Finished this 80% today, now do I do another FSB build or not....

Still need a trigger guard pin for the lower
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Block 1, 2, and 3 army

Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Block 1, 2, and 3 army

https://i.imgur.com/FzPhCKj.jpg
View Quote
Sweet, history right there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Block 1, 2, and 3 army

View Quote
very nice!
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Wasn’t there a picture of a special forces guy with a Block II FSP and no optic? Just the ma tech BUIs?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Block 1, 2, and 3 army

View Quote
Nice Aaron, I do like the razor you had on earlier more than the EXPS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Just posted My FSP upper in the EE.. Gonna just stick to the Non FSP
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Anybody know of a good place I can send my upper to get the flash hider pinned?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top