User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
These barrels are done by NSW Crane (ie they remove the FSB and dimple the barrel)
CD
View Quote
Initially I kind of boggled at putting a low profile block on a formerly FSB'd barrel.  Then I pictured where the pins would be in relation to the gas port...and it all added up.

It's this kind of thing that fascinates me.  Folks at Crane were able to use their creativity and expertise, and thus saved Uncle Sam a ton of money while getting guns out to the people that needed them in a much more timely manner.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid glitch!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
View Quote

Found this old ass pic of my first B2. Miss this thing

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#5]
CQD forward mount and sopmod arrived today. I may switch to a 3 prong but not sure because I really have no use for one. Im gonna put a vortex crossfire II 1-4x24 on here to see how I like it setup like that. Possibly an EXPS3 at some point but an elcan is out of the question

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Dat WarComp Doe!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

https://i.imgur.com/LpLgYg3.jpg
View Quote
What were you using to hold your pressure switch on?  It looks like transparent dental floss...
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
What were you using to hold your pressure switch on?  It looks like transparent dental floss...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

https://i.imgur.com/LpLgYg3.jpg
Those were zip ties. I’ve since switched to strips of Velcro on the pad and a zip tie holding the cable itself to the rail. I’d say this pic is about 4 years old
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: voodoo303] [#9]
I picked up a DDM4 a few years ago. Recently cut off the flash hider and pinned on a SC3P, wasn't too hard.

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the socom rc2 7.62 clone correct, i wanna get the 556 but dont wanna have to deal getting another can for 30 cal rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By iMONOob11:
Is the socom rc2 7.62 clone correct, i wanna get the 556 but dont wanna have to deal getting another can for 30 cal rifle.
View Quote
Get a mini and don't tell anyone
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Originally Posted By Spooled:
Get a mini and don't tell anyone
View Quote
Not even close to correct
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

Not even close to correct
View Quote
Thanks mates!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#14]
View Quote
I have a 762 SOCOM mini and it looks like the clone correct 556 version(same lenth). Best thing is I can use it on my ARs and SR25.

Sad thing is it is not quiet, but I didn't expect much from a 6.2" can.

This is my 762 Mini on my block II

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Another question can any of the 556 muzzle devices fit on the 762 can. might have to just get the 556 if not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Another question can any of the 556 muzzle devices fit on the 762 can. might have to just get the 556 if not.
View Quote
7.62 and 5.56 SOCOM cans will fit on the 5.56 FH and MB.  7.62 MB and FH will only accept 7.62.  This is all based on my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mb121:
7.62 and 5.56 SOCOM cans will fit on the 5.56 FH and MB.  7.62 MB and FH will only accept 7.62.  This is all based on my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.
View All Quotes
From my limited testing, you're correct. I've got one of those SF Trainer cans in 556 (even though the "end cap" is wide open) and it will not mount to my 762 brake on my 700.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iMONOob11] [#18]

From my limited testing, you're correct. I've got one of those SF Trainer cans in 556 (even though the "end cap" is wide open) and it will not mount to my 762 brake on my 700.
View Quote
reason i ask is cause it doesnt look like surefire makes a 762 device 1/2x28 threads.

edit: nvm i got what ya said.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:03:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#19]
reason i ask is cause it doesnt look like surefire makes a 762 device 1/2x28 threads.

View All Quotes

7.62 uses a different thread pitch and size. That way some jack wagon doesn't screw a 5.56 muzzle device onto a 7.62 barrel and makes bullets kersplode on their way out the smaller opening of the muzzle device
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#20]
Combat_Diver, I'm aware of the 14.5 inch govt profile and socom profile colt bbls.  But what about the 14.5 colt socom profile bbls without the m203 cuts?  Any info on those being used?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
Combat_Diver, I'm aware of the 14.5 inch govt profile and socom profile colt bbls.  But what about the 14.5 colt socom profile bbls without the m203 cuts?  Any info on those being used?
View Quote
None, as then they aren't a spec'd barrel.  Even the 10.3" FN SOCOM barrels have M203 cuts.

CD
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

None, as then they aren't a spec'd barrel.  Even the 10.3" FN SOCOM barrels have M203 cuts.

CD
View Quote
cool,

thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Socom RC arrived at my SOT yesterday.  Im heading out there today or tomorrow to try her on for size and give him my stuff for the form 4...  
Pic Thread

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

I have a 762 SOCOM mini and it looks like the clone correct 556 version(same lenth). Best thing is I can use it on my ARs and SR25.

Sad thing is it is not quiet, but I didn't expect much from a 6.2" can.

This is my 762 Mini on my block II

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG_2313_JPG-437384.jpg
View Quote
How many db's louder do you think it is than the regular 556 can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Short answer:  who cares?

It's some level louder, but can you tell?  Maybe, but probably not.  I used to run my 7.62 Mini on my MK12 before I got an AEM can and it wasn't noticeably louder than the 5.56 RC can.  It probably was measurably louder, but it's not like the SF cans are going to be the quietest thing anyway.

I will say that the 7.62 Mini maintained the absolute laser beam accuracy of my MK12...something that my quieter AEM can doesn't do.  Obviously the two factors (noise and accuracy) aren't related, but it was a thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]
How many people run sf m300s on their block 2? I got one laying around so it would save me a few hundred from buying an m600.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Silverww:
How many people run sf m300s on their block 2? I got one laying around so it would save me a few hundred from buying an m600.
View Quote
Look at above post.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Silverww:
View Quote
Both are good to go
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Soaking up the sun shine
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Pics long overdue but thanks to everyone who helped me get this thing together. Time to take her out and break her in.  How did I do?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Pics long overdue but thanks to everyone who helped me get this thing together. Time to take her out and break her in.  How did I do?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155739/IMG_0008-447225.JPG
View Quote
Looks good
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Socom RC arrived at my SOT yesterday.  Im heading out there today or tomorrow to try her on for size and give him my stuff for the form 4...  
Pic Thread

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4674/39273757925_33d620c2a7_o.jpg
View Quote
Nice looking rifle! I'm thinking of doing an ACOG for my block II FSP build. Is that a TA31ECOS? Have those been discontinued? I don't see many places selling them. Also reviewing the partslist on page 1 I don't see the ACOG listed as an optic that came on a block II. Was it a carryover from block 1/1.5? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Nice looking rifle! I'm thinking of doing an ACOG for my block II FSP build. Is that a TA31ECOS? Have those been discontinued? I don't see many places selling them. Also reviewing the partslist on page 1 I don't see the ACOG listed as an optic that came on a block II. Was it a carryover from block 1/1.5? Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Pic Thread

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4674/39273757925_33d620c2a7_o.jpg
@AR_Marv

The SU-237 ACOG seems to have been a PR optic.  I'm not sure if it was widely fielded because the Elcan ended up taking that role.  It's still available from Trijicon but isn't exactly like the original.  They were originally tan anodized with a Docter red dot and ARMS mount.  The new ones are tan cerakote with an RMR and Bobro mount.

I plan on using one also when I build up my FSP Block II.

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

@AR_Marv

The SU-237 ACOG seems to have been a PR optic.  I'm not sure if it was widely fielded because the Elcan ended up taking that role.  It's still available from Trijicon but isn't exactly like the original.  They were originally tan anodized with a Docter red dot and ARMS mount.  The new ones are tan cerakote with an RMR and Bobro mount.

https://i.imgur.com/5wChfGoh.jpg

I plan on using one also when I build up my FSP Block II.

https://i.imgur.com/l6buBxdh.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the info HD! Now I have more questions. Lol. I was looking at that graphic earlier today and didn't understand it exactly. Maybe you can help. Is the term "phased replacements" items that were used to replace block I components?  The graphic just confuses me, the box labeled block II: is that what was issued for block II rifles?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#36]
Well damn, I dont think my a2 and spacer are gonna be as permanent as I had thought. I shoulda known from the start id get the itch to switch to a 3 prong.

How much over 16" do you get with a surefire 3 prong mounted? I know they are longer but not sure how much. Of course the amount of shims used will change it a little bit. Right now Im about 16 1/16" which really Id feel more comfortable being slightly more than that over 16
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I always get rid of my KAC front sights just to get another one later on. This is number four.

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
The acog was so common for mil, there are pics of ta01nsn's and ta31's also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Conner378:

How common were/are the actual SU-237s?  I haven't seen many pictures of those.  The TA01NSNs and M150/RCOM4s do seem to be pretty common as they are widely issued.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Starting to gather parts for an FSP build.

And attempting to get better potato pics of my non FSP

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Here we go again. I just can’t not have a Block II it seems.
Attachment Attached File

I have the RIS II, a tan LMT SOPMOD, and a KAC rear sight. Now I just need everything else. Probably going to put a Razor on it, are there any in the wild instances of Razors on BIIs or is that exclusive to the B3 stuff that’s trickling in?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I am 90% sure Stukas had one on his issued Bk II.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
I am 90% sure Stukas had one on his issued Bk II.
View Quote
That was a VCOG, I cloned his rifle here before getting away from the setup and block II for a bit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
Probably going to put a Razor on it, are there any in the wild instances of Razors on BIIs
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Yes
View All Quotes
Probably going to put a Razor on it, are there any in the wild instances of Razors on BIIs
Yes
Riding in a Geissele mount I presume?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Yes
One I can remember was in a Bobro mount.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
You are correct, I have the 762 mini on my Block II
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By gatordev:

It's some level louder, but can you tell?  Maybe, but probably not.  I used to run my 7.62 Mini on my MK12 before I got an AEM can and it wasn't noticeably louder than the 5.56 RC can.  It probably was measurably louder, but it's not like the SF cans are going to be the quietest thing anyway.

I will say that the 7.62 Mini maintained the absolute laser beam accuracy of my MK12...something that my quieter AEM can doesn't do.  Obviously the two factors (noise and accuracy) aren't related, but it was a thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gatordev:

Yep, It not as quiet as my YHM can, but it's 8" long.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#49]
A question for the SOPMOD historians.  Was there any pattern, rhyme or reason as far as which units ended up with RIS II FSP vs non-FSP?  I only ask as all the MARSOC and Ranger photos I've seen have been non-FSP, and I don't think I've ever seen a photo of SEALs using either.  Maybe that's because those are the only photos I have happened across, or maybe some of these units only ever had one or the other?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:13:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kwill:
A question for the SOPMOD historians.  Was there any pattern, rhyme or reason as far as which units ended up with RIS II FSP vs non-FSP?  I only ask as all the MARSOC and Ranger photos I've seen have been non-FSP, and I don't think I've ever seen a photo of SEALs using either.  Maybe that's because those are the only photos I have happened across, or maybe some of these units only ever had one or the other?  Thanks!
View Quote
I don't know the for sure answer, combat diver might. What I do know is some units took longer to get the FSP than others (we are talking years longer) and I have seen Rangers with FSPs. The rest I will leave untouched.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top