Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 2:20:57 PM EDT
I'm a Newbie who would appreciate some input.  From trolling I've learned enough to where I want to invest in a good high quality rifle from the start - and have settled on a BCM Mid-16 carbine.  I'm leaning towards buying a full rifle.  

I'd like to pull upon your experience in helping me make the best decision for a first time buyer

From BCM's website:

BCM® MID-16 Mod 0 @ $1045
The Mod 0 includes Magpul MOE handguards, and does not include a rear sight.  This model is ready for your choice of optic and/or rear sighting system.

BCM® MID-16 Mod 2 @ $1299
The Mod 2 Carbine includes a drop in tactical handguard system (Troy Industries TRX-11 free float) and a folding battle sight (Troy Industries. This model is ready to be accessorized with all your mission essential gear.

What I would appreciate is some insight into which version to go for and it comes down to basically two issues:  rear sight and hand guard.  In particular what's your advice on the Magpul MOE vs. a the railed Troy TRX-11 handguard.  I'm assuming that the railed handguard would give me more options in the future.

Price difference is ($1299-$1045) $254.  

Troy/BCM sight lists $119.  Troy TRX-11 lists $185.  So bought separate ($119+$185) = $304. So pull out the Magpul MOE list @ $28 ($304-$28) for a final cost difference of $276 if I were building a rifle.

Thanks for your time.  

[
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Mod2 FTW.

No questions asked.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Mod2 FTW.

No questions asked.

This.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the Mod 0.  How much stuff are you planning to hang on the front of the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a Newbie who would appreciate some input.  From trolling I've learned enough to where I want to invest in a good high quality rifle from the start - and have settled on a BCM Mid-16 carbine.  I'm leaning towards buying a full rifle.  

I'd like to pull upon your experience in helping me make the best decision for a first time buyer

From BCM's website:

BCM® MID-16 Mod 0 @ $1045
The Mod 0 includes Magpul MOE handguards, and does not include a rear sight.  This model is ready for your choice of optic and/or rear sighting system.

BCM® MID-16 Mod 2 @ $1299
The Mod 2 Carbine includes a drop in tactical handguard system (Troy Industries TRX-11 free float) and a folding battle sight (Troy Industries. This model is ready to be accessorized with all your mission essential gear.

What I would appreciate is some insight into which version to go for and it comes down to basically two issues:  rear sight and hand guard.  In particular what's your advice on the Magpul MOE vs. a the railed Troy TRX-11 handguard.  I'm assuming that the railed handguard would give me more options in the future.

Price difference is ($1299-$1045) $254.  

Troy/BCM sight lists $119.  Troy TRX-11 lists $185.  So bought separate ($119+$185) = $304. So pull out the Magpul MOE list @ $28 ($304-$28) for a final cost difference of $276.

Thanks for your time.  

[

Free floating later is not just a matter of swapping parts, it's a major dis assembly of the upper group that takes some investment in tools and a certain degree of risk especially for a first timer.  The value of the time, energy and tools required to make the trade later should not be underestimated in the valuation of the Troy components above when comparing Model 2 to model 0 above.

However, if you're looking to save a few bucks (around $150) and are not going to free float you can buy one of BCM's blem lowers for $270, pair it with a 16" upper + BCG, Gunfighter CH and MOE foregrip for $630ish and you're only looking at $900 outlay for an identical setup as the "Model 0" above (assembly in this case is only as complex as putting the rifle back together after a field strip & clean).  I believe you are paying a %10 excise tax on the complete rifle purchase vs buying the same parts and putting them together on your own which is a big component in the difference in price... shipping and FFL transfer fees should be a wash either way.  The MOE handguard will accommodate rails where you want them for a modest price but is obviously not free floated if that is something that's important to you.  Upgrades for the MOE handguard are also inexpensive, $20 gets you their MOE vertical foregrip and another $20 will get you the Illumination kit for mounting up a surefire weapon light.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd get the Mod 0.  How much stuff are you planning to hang on the front of the rifle?

I don't know enough yet to really know what would eventually end up on the guard.  I am however more a fan of a lean gun with minimal stuff.  I can foresee a light and a fore-grip of some sort.  I'd eventually like to attend some carbine classes and possibly play at 3-gun in the future.

Is one handguard version more rugged versus the other?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Mod O.  I find myself moving away from rails and really liking the MOE handguards on mid-length rifles.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know enough yet to really know what would eventually end up on the guard.  I am however more a fan of a lean gun with minimal stuff.  I can foresee a light and a fore-grip of some sort.  I'd eventually like to attend some carbine classes and possibly play at 3-gun in the future.

Is one handguard version more rugged versus the other?

Definitely get the Mod 0. The MOE handguards will be lighter and cheaper.  There are options for attaching VFGs and lights if you want to.  I was pulling stuff off of my gun during the carbine course I took.

The MOE handguards are pretty durable, I haven't heard of any breaking.  I have no experience with the Troys but I'm sure they're well built.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mod O.  I find myself moving away from rails and really liking the MOE handguards on mid-length rifles.

Can you expand on your comment?

I do see the MOE can be set up with small rails.  From the BCM pix thread I see guys with a small light mounted and the "slanted" Mappul grip.  This may be all I need.

However, I'd hate to later have to go through the effort and tool expense to mount a rail system.

Doh!  Above poster was quicker than I was!  Thanks for your response!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a noob that just went through the same dilemma you're going through.  I ended up building a BCM 16" Mid Length that essentially ended up being the Mod 0 with the addition of the Troy folding battle sight and I got a Cosmetic Blem Lower with a VLTOR Modstock.  The savings was a couple hundred bucks by buying it in pieces and getting the Cosmetic Blem Lower.  By keeping it simple my AR is pretty light at 6 lbs 11 oz which is noticably lighter than my buddy's Colt and RRA.  Eventually I'd like to do a free float rail and plan on getting a Daniel Defense Omega Rail.  Just one option to keep in mind if you want to do a free float rail but don't want to hack away parts from your AR.  Here's a link to the post of my build with pictures:
My 1st AR
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm a noob that just went through the same dilemma you're going through.  I ended up building a BCM 16" Mid Length that essentially ended up being the Mod 0 with the addition of the Troy folding battle sight and I got a Cosmetic Blem Lower with a VLTOR Modstock.  The savings was a couple hundred bucks by buying it in pieces and getting the Cosmetic Blem Lower.  By keeping it simple my AR is pretty light at 6 lbs 11 oz which is noticably lighter than my buddy's Colt and RRA.  Eventually I'd like to do a free float rail and plan on getting a Daniel Defense Omega Rail.  Just one option to keep in mind if you want to do a free float rail but don't want to hack away parts from your AR.  Here's a link to the post of my build with pictures:
My 1st AR

Hurl - thanks for the time...

I've been thinking exactly along your lines - but I got hung up on the Cosmetic Blem lower assemblies.  I know they warranty thier blem lower assemblies for 100% mechanical - but I was worried to put the money into a gun and have a problem with the lower - specifically the part where the quote the blem might be a "dent".  I think I may need to rethink my hesitancy on this part as it does equal more savings.

What was your experience with your blem?

How did you like the Vltor modstock?

Thanks and cheers...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Me too.... Only I went with a 16" lw middy. I have a chopped moe vert grip on it I use as a hand stop and a small piece of rail on the ejection side that I have a tlr-1 mounted on(ordering an surefire x300 soon).
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I was a little leary of the cosmetic blem lower but after getting it I was very happy with it.  As you can see from the pics on the thread about my build the scratch is tiny.  It took the FFL that I had it delivered to five minutes before he found the "blemish".  And the lower functions flawlessly so I wouldn't hesitate one bit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was a little leary of the cosmetic blem lower but after getting it I was very happy with it.  As you can see from the pics on the thread about my build the scratch is tiny.  It took the FFL that I had it delivered to five minutes before he found the "blemish".  And the lower functions flawlessly so I wouldn't hesitate one bit.

Hurl -

Very NICE build - I think you swayed me  Awright but I hope you don't mind when mine is almost a mirror of yours  Hard to go wrong if the Blemished lower is 100% mechanical guaranteed.  Thanks for helping another newb.

And to everyone else - thanks.  Everyone starts somewhere and I do appreciate your help.  Cold beers if I meet ya
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurl -

Very NICE build - I think you swayed me  Awright but I hope you don't mind when mine is almost a mirror of yours  Hard to go wrong if the Blemished lower is 100% mechanical guaranteed.  Thanks for helping another newb.

And to everyone else - thanks.  Everyone starts somewhere and I do appreciate your help.  Cold beers if I meet ya

I don't think you'll be alone with a rifle that looks like this, I think the 16" middy carbine based on the BCM upper with Magpul furniture and iron sights is a functional and great looking starting point for newer AR shooters... I built something similar for my second AR a week ago on a CMMG lower with a Palmetto MOE build kit and could not be happier with the end result (also 6 pounds 11 oz):

Good luck with your new rifle!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurl -

I don't think you'll be alone with a rifle that looks like this, I think the 16" middy carbine based on the BCM upper with Magpul furniture and iron sights is a functional and great looking starting point for newer AR shooters... I built something similar for my second AR a week ago on a CMMG lower with a Palmetto MOE build kit and could not be happier with the end result (also 6 pounds 11 oz):

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/yuppiejr/DSC04195.jpg]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/yuppiejr/DSC04195.jpg

Good luck with your new rifle!

Nice build yuppiejr!  I'm definitely a big fan of the clean look.  Like you pointed out I think the no frills AR is a good starting point as long as you start off with a quality upper and lower.  And most importantly the no frills approach leaves more room in the budget for ammo!

cinco1 - let us know how the new rifle turns out and post some pics once you get it all together.  The worst part comes once you've decided what you want to build... waiting to get it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top