Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 1:04:54 PM EDT
What tools do I need to change two bbls?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel nut wrench/armorers wrench, ft/lbs torque wrench, vise, and an action block or upper receiver block.
I also use some clp for cleaning and hoppes gun grease on the threads.

ETA: you also need the tools required to remove your gas block. (hammer, nail punch, 1/8 punch, and something to support the gas block while you knock the pins out.) I use 2 midway usa catalogs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion the torque wrench isn't really important as I have personally seen 0 shift between a 30lb barrel nut and a maxed out barrel nut on the same barrel.  Armor's block and wrench.

Just tighten it with some barrel grease until the barrel nut is snug and the barrel nut's teath line up correctly to install the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In my opinion the torque wrench isn't really important as I have personally seen 0 shift between a 30lb barrel nut and a maxed out barrel nut on the same barrel.  Armor's block and wrench.

Just tighten it with some barrel grease until the barrel nut is snug and the barrel nut's teath line up correctly to install the gas tube.

This is how I do it. I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Barrel nut wrench/armorers wrench, ft/lbs torque wrench, vise, and an action block or upper receiver block.

ETA: you also need the tools required to remove your gas block. (hammer, nail punch, 1/8 punch, and something to support the gas block while you knock the pins out.) I use 2 midway usa catalogs.

1/8 punch is too thick. The gas tube retaining pin is 5/64 but you can use a 1/16 punch wth a small hammer. Just remember tap-tap-tap not bang-bang-bang.

He only needs to remove the gas tube if he's not re-using the gas block/FSB.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/8 punch is too thick. The gas tube retaining pin is 5/64 but you can use a 1/16 punch wth a small hammer. Just remember tap-tap-tap not bang-bang-bang.

He only needs to remove the gas tube if he's not re-using the gas block/FSB.

I know. I was assuming he was removing the gas block.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top