Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:14:40 PM EDT
I just got my BCM A4 Upper in the mail, and promptly put my KAC RIS on it.

The lower part of the RIS rattles...I know it's not a FF rail, but shouldn't this thing be pretty solid?

Hax

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It is normal for the lower rail to have play in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Make sure it is properly seated, and that the delta ring is pushed forward all the way.

This. Mine fits very snug. Make sure you tighten down that front clamp on the top rail and then get the bottom rail all the way up inside the top rail. Push "forward" on the delta ring after they're both in there and get it to clamp down properly on both halves. I really like this rail even though its technically "dated." Fits my BCM SOCOM upper perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of curisosity.... did your rail come with the steel triangle shaped insert that goes between the two halves into the handguard cap? I ask this because a firend of mine got an RIS that did not have this piece and his was very sloppy as well. Mine is rock solid on the bottom and I do have the insert. There are two springs on the insert that put pressure on the lower section.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Out of curisosity.... did your rail come with the steel triangle shaped insert that goes between the two halves into the handguard cap? I ask this because a firend of mine got an RIS that did not have this piece and his was very sloppy as well. Mine is rock solid on the bottom and I do have the insert. There are two springs on the insert that put pressure on the lower section.

Are you talking about the RAS? The RIS and RAS are different rail systems. My RIS did not come with a triangle insert.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That insert is for the Rifle M5 RAS and for mounting a M203.  Unnecessary if you are not mounting a M203.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I took off and put on the RIS about 10 times last night, every time, the damn bottom half would rattle.

This morning, I got up, and took the RIS off AGAIN, and just studied them.  On the TOP portion of the RIS, there's a small 'bolt' with an allen head in it that holds what looks like a small bracket that the Delta ring attaches to, the bracket goes around the gas tube...this little piece was loose.  I put some loc-tite on the bolt, snugged it down about a 1/4 turn past 'snug', and then re-installed...the RIS is as solid as a rock now.

As for the 'bracket', I don't have that part.

Hax
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I took off and put on the RIS about 10 times last night, every time, the damn bottom half would rattle.

This morning, I got up, and took the RIS off AGAIN, and just studied them.  On the TOP portion of the RIS, there's a small 'bolt' with an allen head in it that holds what looks like a small bracket that the Delta ring attaches to, the bracket goes around the gas tube...this little piece was loose.  I put some loc-tite on the bolt, snugged it down about a 1/4 turn past 'snug', and then re-installed...the RIS is as solid as a rock now.

Hax

hope it was blue loctite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

hope it was blue loctite.

It was indeed.  I use that stuff when I install rudders on kayaks...stands up to constant vibrations bouncing down the road, endures saltwater...tough stuff.

Hax

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hax

You have an RAS not an RIS.  The RIS does not have that bracket on top.  The RAS does have this bracket.  The RAS is the newer, better, more solid version of the RIS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine has an M5 RAS - as solid as a shit brickhouse.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I run the Old skool RAS on my 14.5 LMT

Rock Solid
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine has an M5 RAS - as solid as a shit brickhouse.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/DSC00299-1.jpg

Very Nice Rifle!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I had some trouble getting mine on as well back when I started my A4 build. This link helped me greatly though––––->M5 RAS installation instruction in a PDF.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top