Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 3:54:03 PM EDT
I ordered a rifle kit from DPMS recently. I was looking at the parts and looked down the barrel to find that there is a bur right where the gas port was drilled. I have always bought complete uppers and never really built an upper. Should I try and run a bore brush through it and see if I can knock off the bur? Run a few patches through it? I assume I should not build and shoot it before I knock this bur off? Is this something normal to find or should I try and send the barrel back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to fix the issue myself, but if you guys think I need to send it back just let me know. Thanks folks...

Randy
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it. It won"t blow up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
And I thought BARREL BURRS were only a MONDAY POST! LOL M4QUADRAIL
SHOOT IT OUT!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a rod to push it out, its more of a shaving thats stuck than a burr. It's no big deal and def not worth sending back
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SHOOT IT OUT!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You should always thoroughly clean a new barrel to get all the protective coatings off it and out of it before shooting it anyway and if that doesn't get it then shooting it will. I've had several barrels with small burs around the gas port and usually a good cleaning removes it .. and if not then the first range trip takes care of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHOOT IT OUT!

After MFG HUNDREDS of AR style Rifles and finding BURRS that just wont come out with a "cleaning rod" or the Proverbial "Clean the barrel "which should be done anyway there is no reason to not shoot it out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ordered a rifle kit from DPMS recently. I was looking at the parts and looked down the barrel to find that there is a bur right where the gas port was drilled. I have always bought complete uppers and never really built an upper. Should I try and run a bore brush through it and see if I can knock off the bur? Run a few patches through it? I assume I should not build and shoot it before I knock this bur off? Is this something normal to find or should I try and send the barrel back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to fix the issue myself, but if you guys think I need to send it back just let me know. Thanks folks...

Randy

Shoot
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top