Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:22:58 PM EDT
Planning on purchasing my first AR and couldn't find many thoughts on the S&W MP15 here.
I've been mostly a handgun guy up until now but caught the AR fever after shooting one a couple weeks ago.

I would prefer to purchase from a local store for warranty/service peace of mind - which I know narrows down my options considerably...
Gander Mountain is about the only local store and they stock Bushmaster, S&W, and Colt.
I really like the look of the S&W and I found one really good review of the MP15 on another site but wanted to get some thoughts here.

My budget is <$1200

Thanks!

Z
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
they are good but tend to be overpriced(especially at gander mountain forget that crap)

If I remember right they were on closeout for $700 or something recently online.

Not much to go wrong with these that you cant handle. Id get something ordered in rather than pay their over inflated pricing
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W is solid.

Not the best... and by far not the worst.

Get it.

Forget about the whole retail store thing, if something goes wrong with your gun either you fix it yourself, or if its a out of spec thing S&W will handle it. Only thing the retail store is going to do is charge you out the ass.

I believe you can get them still from CDNN for 600 bucks after mail in rebate.. that is the BEST price youll find anywhere new.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome and buy the Colt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Welcome and buy the Colt Noveske.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
S&W is solid.

Not the best... and by far not the worst.

Get it.

Forget about the whole retail store thing, if something goes wrong with your gun either you fix it yourself, or if its a out of spec thing S&W will handle it. Only thing the retail store is going to do is charge you out the ass.

I believe you can get them still from CDNN for 600 bucks after mail in rebate.. that is the BEST price youll find anywhere new.

Exactly what I was going to say.  S&W makes a fine rifle.  

If you decide to change your mind, $1,200 would buy a damn good rifle from Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to look at Spikes.  Definitely the best bang for your buck, and a better overall rifle than the S&W.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't you know I just got the newspaper and inserted was a new Gander flyer starting today through 9/15 advertising the MP15 for $699.
Pad the bill with some accessories & ammo to get over $1000 and I get 12 months no interest.

Sound like a better deal now?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I own an M&P and have been very pleased with it. 1400+ rounds through it with 0 problems. I can shoot sub-2" groups all day @ 100yds. with Iron sights. Its got a fair trigger but I think a good drop in could improve the shootability of this carbine. I'm also gonna put a battlecomp brake on it. Good luck and welcome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
CDNN is out of them at that price.  I called 2 weeks ago.

This is $723 after 100 rebate.  free shipping   http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/53496

I am researching all of this for my first ar15 purchase.  am leaning towards s/w optical ready.   see some of my other posts.

will call gander mountain to see if they still have some.  will be a drive but is worth it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wouldn't you know I just got the newspaper and inserted was a new Gander flyer starting today through 9/15 advertising the MP15 for $699.
Pad the bill with some accessories & ammo to get over $1000 and I get 12 months no interest.

hard to argue with the 12 months no interest... But unless your gander mountain is different than mine you will be hard pressed to find any good accessories there.

Id say buy the rifle there and shop online or the EE for your other stuff, youll save money and have a MUCH wider selection.  

The AR selection of accessories is near non-existant at my gander mountain and you should see the guys behind the counter AT THE FIREARMS SECTION scratch their heads when i ask about a illuminated 1-4x variable scope.  They had never even heard of such a thing.  

Although it seems like around here I wouldnt trust anyone who works at a gun shop or a gun store to know what they are talking about.  Its amazing, youd think they would be a little knowledgeable about firearm related things.

Lol, just for fun though you should ask them how much it would be to get a VLTOR stock with that.  "huh, whats that?"

And ammo? Buy from aim surplus... no brainer.

Oh, I just noticed you are implying you have to spend over a grand to get the 12 months... Erm, my gander mountain has vortex sparcs for 200 bucks, grab one of those, fantastic starter optic.  

I Got my hard case from them as well, for 80 bucks it wasnt bad.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
just called gander and will drive over to pick one up tonite.  is 899 at counter and 200 rebates for 699.  

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/gandermountain/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2489524&rapid=991585&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2085976367
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You will not regret buying the S&W.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a S&W FT model, and  it is great.  I'd buy another tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
welcome to the forum and buy colt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is a damn good deal. The M&P is a solid rifle, not quite a colt but my M&P is my go to rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
welcome to the forum and buy colt.

I would agree, but it sounds like due to a lack of gun stores in his area, his options are kind of limited. Having a colt transfered to Joes gun shop is a lot cheaper than buying a colt from someplace like gander mountain I am sure. Yes if he hunts around on the net he can find a 6920 for less than $1200, but if there is no one he can transfer it to it doesnt do him any good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
buy an M&P with confidence if that's what you want. i love mine!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top