Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2010 8:28:38 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with carbon fiber barrels in the AR platform?   I've been looking at the advanced barrel systems options and am curious about the weight and accuracy.  Thinking about a 20 inch mid length in 6.5 Grendel if possible
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A former dealer here used to sell ar barrels that were a small steel barrel with a carbon fiber tube around them (I think). I don't remember if it is the place you are talking about. Delivery times were ridiculously long

Yup, twl worked with ABS years ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The carbon wrapped barrels by ABS are ok.  They are relatively light in weight as compared to a similar all steel barrel of similar contour/length.

I had a 16" mid-gas 1-8 twist rock creek barrel chambered and wrapped by ABS.  I did wait nearly a year for it and when I finally got it I wasn't that impressed with it on paper.  I sold it and bought a Kreiger contoured/chambered by CLE, and that is that.

The carbon ABS barrel was light though. (about 1lb 6oz IIRC)
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info hoping to have gun done by August so I'll start looking at other barrel options if wait is that long
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of durability and heat issues could/did arise from that?  I know other CF barrels like the Christiansen Arms have been used on big centerfires, and VQ, Magnum research, and others make CF barrels for 10/22's, but the former doesn't make semi-autos and the latter doesn't produce any sort of heat to concern yourself with.  I'd think a 223 semi-auto would cook a composite barrel very quickly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like an insane idea to me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The new Book of the AR15 has a good article on them
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The carbon wrapped barrels by ABS are ok.  They are relatively light in weight as compared to a similar all steel barrel of similar contour/length.

I had a 16" mid-gas 1-8 twist rock creek barrel chambered and wrapped by ABS.  I did wait nearly a year for it and when I finally got it I wasn't that impressed with it on paper.  I sold it and bought a Kreiger contoured/chambered by CLE, and that is that.

The carbon ABS barrel was light though. (about 1lb 6oz IIRC)

That was the group buy from hell, but the price was right.  Mine is really, really accurate, thankfully.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top