Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:01:38 PM EDT
So a couple weeks back I built my first lower, and thus a new phase of my BRD has taken control. Now I want to build my first upper to go with it and.....I want to make it as CHEAP as possible. No free float rails, expensive BCGs, Magpul stuff...none of that, just a standard sling, and maybe mount a light on it.I've got a couple sets of the regular hand guards and a carry handle. I want it to be simply a stock/ plain jane M-4 clone.

-Is there a better place to order upper parts from then Brownell's?
-I am looking at Brownell's AR-15 Builder, and I see where there are "threaded barrels" and "crowned barrels", what is the difference? Is one better then the other and why?
-Is building a upper difficult? I live in an apartment and no workbench. I've been using an old desk I mounted a vise to. Is there a point in building an upper that really requires a workbench?

thanks in advance,

Mike

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Many better places than Brownells for parts, check the site sponsors for starters. If you want absolute lowest price but decent quality, check out DSA:
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver––-DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

For a little more money you can get a nice high end upper for dirt cheap: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=483834

ETA: unless you REALLY want to, there's no real reason to buy a stripped upper and barrel and assemble for your first upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top