Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 2:48:07 AM EDT
Just about everybody seems to have night sights on their handguns (myself included) but I don't recall ever seeing an AR in the picture threads, etc. that had one of those tritium front sight posts that are sold by companies like XS and Mepro.  Does the night sight concept carry over well to a rifle?  I keep an AR for HD and was thinking about getting one, just wanted some opinions.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
nah, in a home defense situation, you just spray and pray...

I can see the utility of tritium FSP if you dont have an illuminated optic...    so i guess it would boil down to that in my book =)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I run a set on my KISS rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
night sights have there place as another tool in the box to use - they are designed and are used for a specific set if circumstances, if you find yourself in the dark with out a flashlight needing to aim a weapon then you will be very glad you have them, if you wont find yourself in this situation then they are a waste of money.

i have a flash light on both of my m4gery setups along with night sights in my BUIS, it is the same reasoning as having BUIS when you have an optic, they are there to address a specific set of circumstances where failure could be a matter of your/your family/an attackers, life or death.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been using one for a couple years and dont think it makes any difference.  I've had no problem lining up the sights in the dark, when I have time to line them up...

What you need is a white weapon mounted light. Being able to identify the threat is more important than looking for a little green dot on the post.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the tritium rear.

i am curious as to why you would not get the rear sights??

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The rear sight definitely doesn't make sense to me. Why would I want those glowing green dots right up against my eyeball?

And yeah, I already have a good light mounted. I've noticed when playing around in the dark that I can see the front sight really well when the light's turned on. I was curious if the tritium post would offer any additional advantage that's worth the $70 or so. Heck, I'll probably get it anyway eventually :P
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been using one for a couple years and dont think it makes any difference.  I've had no problem lining up the sights in the dark, when I have time to line them up...
What you need is a white weapon mounted light. Being able to identify the threat is more important than looking for a little green dot on the post.

The tritium rear sites will appear to be brighter given the close proximity to your eyes, they "drown-out" the front site.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tritium rear sites will appear to be brighter given the close proximity to your eyes, they "drown-out" the front site.

i have never had this problem either with the ones i have on my personal rifles currently or the ones on my issued rifles (M4 and MP5). i also have a set or two on some of my HD shotguns and don't have that issue with them either.
i guess i just got the 5 or 6 sets of good ones
to each his own -
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images1.opticsplanet.com/640-640/opplanet-trijicon-night-sight-sets-for-ar15-m16-cp25.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.opticsplanet.net/picture-1-trijicon-night-sight-sets-for-ar15-m16-cp25.html&usg=__knsvYBdX31vnbZXFtbJvxFI0hLU=&h=248&w=240&sz=24&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=tXKVK6FKghkCCM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtrijicon%2Bnight%2Bsights%2Bar%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Like others have stated. Im running front site only. I had rears and it was too much. In total dark CQB situation I would lay my rear flip up down and point of shoot with the front site. Ive done this b4 and within 10-20feet you will hit what your aiming at.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Daylight, you don't need it.

Low light, it would be very nice to have.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top