Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:06:31 PM EDT
I bought a BCM 16" middy a few months ago. would like to shorten it and perm attach a PWS FSC556. This is the upper I have.

Questions:

- I want to shorten and attach the FSC556 so that it is 16.1". That will leave about 14" of bbl. Will this run with the gas port size BCM uses on this upper and mid length system? Anything I should be concerned about in this config?

- Would there be any pro's/con's to fluting the bbl while it is being shortened? Guess I am wondering if it would be worthwhile or the possible con's outweigh any potential benefit.

- Any issues I am not thinking about? Is it ok to shorten a CL bbl?

Work will be done by ADCO and rifle is run with an AimPoint Micro T1, Troy BUIS front/rear, ACE skeleton stock (may go with a Sully fixed stock) and a surefire light.

Thx.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be no problem. Someone posted a pic of his cutdown BCM middy a while back, looked very nice. Since the middy already has the thinner gov't style profile behind the FSB, I don't think the weight savings would be significant vs. the cost of fluting. Yes, a chromelined barrel can be shortened.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should be no problem. Someone posted a pic of his cutdown BCM middy a while back, looked very nice. Since the middy already has the thinner gov't style profile behind the FSB, I don't think the weight savings would be significant vs. the cost of fluting. Yes, a chromelined barrel can be shortened.

Thats what I was thinking regarding fluting a gov bbl but wanted to check. Only thing remaining is will it run right? Talking about running with varying ammo (power, powder charge, bullet weights, etc) due to less bbl after the gas port... 14" bbl in mid length system w/ standard gas port size.

Anyone run this config? How likely is it that gas port will need to be enlarged?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It will run just fine as is. I had a Sabre Defence 14.5" factory middy barrel that ran like a top.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the middy config is the perfect length for the 14.5" barrels.  There is another gas length (forget the name) that is the right length for 16".  So yours will be fine.

You could also talk to the guys at ADCO, they can tell you anything you want to know about this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thx guys, helpful as always
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top