Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2009 7:59:57 AM EDT
From what I understand, the standard DMR is a 20"  Ar-15/ m16 with an acog. the Marksman is trained to shoot precision shots out to 500m.  in your opinion, can the same thing be done with a 16" barrel ar-15 carbine with an acog?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The US Army 2005 Infantry Designated Marksman Strategy (Doctrine, Operations, Training, Materiel, Leadership and Education, Personnel, and Facilities) specified the DM weapon should be an M4 carbine with ACOG, with improved trigger and 77-grain match ammo if available.  Further recommendation was for a free-float rail system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The US Army 2005 Infantry Designated Marksman Strategy (Doctrine, Operations, Training, Materiel, Leadership and Education, Personnel, and Facilities) specified the DM weapon should be an M4 carbine with ACOG, with improved trigger and 77-grain match ammo if available.  Further recommendation was for a free-float rail system.

Much thanks for this information!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
5th post from above shows some interesting pics
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111334

as far as I know that project is dead

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Ehh yeah, awhile back I believe a member here (in the military) mentioned they'd been able to make reasonably accurate shots at 900 meters with an M4 and Acog. (Just punching paper)

Also, I believe the IDF has DM that use an M4 and Acog.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not had good success with a 16" (1:9) at 600 yards.  I use a 20".  I would definitely suggest a 1:7 twist for the longer, heavier bullets, like 77gr.  The bullet weight is the most important thing, and getting a barrel to twist it.  The longer the barrel, the more time to get the twist working, and the higher the muzzle velocity, both critical for long distance.  Trigger is VERY important.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
5th post from above shows some interesting pics
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111334

as far as I know that project is dead

That's pretty cool. I've been thinking about building a M16A4'ish clone but with a WOA SS barrel.

A 16" M4 is more than capable of making accurate hits out to 600yds. I just heard of a kill with a 10.5" at 500yds! The shooter has more to do with it than the equipment.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top