Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2009 9:28:00 AM EDT
I finally have enough money saved up to buy another rifle. looking at either a Stag Model 1 or 2 or a CMMG Mod4sa. Which one would you guys go with? Right now GB seems to be the cheapest place to get either without a wait, Stags would run me around $850 after shipping/transfer fees, is this a decent price. Also, what is a decent price for a CMMG Mod 4sa with 14.5" barrel with perm Vortex , Chrome lined, 1/7 twist, and removeable carry handle? Thanks. I thought about going with a BCM or Colt, but for what I'm going to use it for I'd rather spend $850 on a rifle and the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I vote stag
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've really been impressed with the right ups that I've seen on the Stags. I don't own one though. I do have a CMMG lower on a 6.8 that is first rate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
CMMG without a doubt.  Stag makes nice stuff, but CMMG is better.

If it was me I'd buy the CMMG, sell the BCG it comes with, and then buy a BCM BCG for it.  In fact, it's what I did on two of my builds .

The CMMG has a 1:7 barrel, is HPT tested, and has M4 feedramps, all things the Stag lacks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My Stag Model 2 has been first rate.  I will have had it for 4 years come December.  The only failure ever was a stuck Wolf case after about 300 rounds down range with a fairly dry bolt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
CMMG is way too hit and miss.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I currently own both CMMG and Stag stuff...  I have been pleased with both and you can't go wrong with either, but I would give the Stag a TINY edge based on my own experience for upper/lower fit and overall finished quality.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't own a Stag, but my CMMG is my go-to gun. The lower is a Noveske, but everything else (upper, buffer assembly, trigger, etc...) is CMMG. Fit and finish are excellent, and there is absolutely no play between the upper and lower, if that sort of thing matters to you. I haven't shot a ton with it, but it's been through about 2000 rounds, mostly wolf, without a single malfunction (that's with cleanings every couple hundred rounds though). I can't say all CMMG's are like that though, this has just been my experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]

i vote stag model 2

why?  because thats what i have.  has ran 100% without any malfuntions, ftf, fte, or anything.

also eats wolf like a champ.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My choice would be  Stag.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The CMMG has a 1:7 barrel, is HPT tested, and has M4 feedramps, all things the Stag lacks.

CMMG may have 1:7 and M4 feedramps, but neither one is necessary. 1:9 might even be better for what he's lookin for
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
my current rifle has a 1/9 twist and standard feed ramps and it works fine for me, so either way would be fine for me. I plan on swapping out the BCG with the extra BCM unit I have. It looks like on here Stag has a little better following, so that's probably what I'll get. I'm still not sure about buying a gun online with only pictures to go by, but none of my local dealers have any in stock and don't expect any for at least 8 weeks plus, and the ones i've been looking at on GB are $50-$75 cheaper than what the dealers around here are quoting me, even after shipping and transfer fees.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMMG may have 1:7 and M4 feedramps, but neither one is necessary. 1:9 might even be better for what he's lookin for

You're right, just like chrome-lined barrels and M16 BCGs with MPI tested bolts, shot peening, and black o-rings aren't necessary...

And no, 1:9 will not be better for anything unless he wants to run a .22 conversion, in which case he should get a 1:12 twist barrel, or unless he wants to run 50 grain or lighter bullets, at which point `1:9 is better.  Just don't shoot a bullet over 69 gr.

There are a lot of happy stag rifle owners out there because Stag makes good hardware, but CMMG is better, which is why they cost more and people happily pay for them.

Tier 1 = BCM - Colt
Tier 2 = CMMG - Armalite
Tier 3 = Stag - Bushmaster - RRA
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy the CMMG piston rifle for $999! Or you can buy my CMMG DI rifle and I'll go buy a CMMG piston rifle :)
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#14]
STAG Mark and the guys overthere a great.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
CMMG all the way.  They have the best warranty in the business.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top