Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:19:38 PM EDT
OK, so here's the run down, I have a Bushy M4 (true M4 with barrel notch).   I've got traditional iron sight (both front and rear) with a rail adaptor attached to the carry handle with the new(ish) Bushnell holo sight (Eotech style).  Other than that everything else is stock i.e. collapsable stock, trigger group, bolt, etc..  I'l post a pic or two tomorrow.  

My question to everyone is if you had $900 to upgrade this gun, what would you upgrade.  Don't worry about use, I'm going for all-around practical everyday use.  The few upgrades I've thought of are a stage two trigger, and a Spikes 37mm launcher.  I'm up for any suggestions, optics, stock, etc..  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  My goal is to have an all around M4.  I don't see the need to have multiple AR's (Nothing wrong it for those you who do, just my own personal preference).  I'll try to answer any questions y'all have concerning this setup.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do nothing to the gun.  Buy ammo
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been, mostly reloading my own and buying the occasional "deal" on 500 - 1000 rnds.  Never can go wrong with ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
So you're looking to be 'tacticool'?

$900 buy it all...............Surefire light, CTR stock, MIAD grip, Pmags, VFG, Sling, and what the hell, attach a can opener!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a brand new MATECH M203 sight when you need it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Magpul ctr and upgrade to a real eotech. Then a rail of your choice and a surefire light. Maybe a single point sling mount.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're just gonna have one AR and it will be used a lot, then get an M-16 bolt carrier. Use the rest of the money for PMags and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Not "Tacticool", Practicool.  I honestly cant think of anything else I really need to do, just wanted to ping off everyone to see if there was something "crucial" that I missed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I sorta agree- you cant go wrong w/ammo.  Bushy makes a fine AR - so you should not have any issues there.  $900 gets a lot of "pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew" saved rainey days!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Is your rear sight a fixed carry handle or detachable?  The rail adapter you use attaches to the carry handle so that the Holosight is out over the handguards?

If that's your setup, you could get a Troy Drop-In Battle Rail, an Eotech in a LaRue mount, and a light and it'd done.  Sell the Bushnell.

If it's a detachable carry handle, get the same Eotech set up with a new rear sight.  I like the LMT or LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a flat top upper for that Bushnell. Scrap the tacticool crap. Not picking on you, but what is the purpose of the flare launcher other than 250.00+ hit to your wallet. Where the hell can you shoot a flare in a non emergency situation, without worrying your gonna have the air national guard tracking it down or you may burn up a friggin forrest by shooting it? OK, maybe the desert......now a real grenade launcher with ammo would be cool. Unless you plan on signiling back up, you can probably forego the launcher.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, forgot to add I added a YHM rail to it.  As far as the Eotech's go, I'm not a huge fan (from personal use on duty).  I contacted Trijicon and they give an active duty military discount but I still have a hard time parting with that much money for an optic (maybe it's just me - if so just slap me silly).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If it were me, I'd buy an Aimpoint in a LaRue mount, a quality milspec stock(I like the Magpul CTR) and a comfy pistol grip (Tango Down is my personal favorite).  I'd get a quality sling and some good mags (PMAGs) and call it done.  All of this is subject to the rifle running 100% prior to any mods.  I don't see any need for a grenade launcher, unless you actually have grenades.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, the rear sight is detachable, so in essence "it is" a flat top.  The sight sits on top of the rail, directly above, not sitting forward.  As far as the launcher, that's a great point, other than the CS gas from ALS there's really no other use for it.  Thanks for the pointer(s).  Anyone have any forst hand experience on stage two triggers?  Worth the money or not?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok, the rear sight is detachable, so in essence "it is" a flat top.  The sight sits on top of the rail, directly above, not sitting forward.  As far as the launcher, that's a great point, other than the CS gas from ALS there's really no other use for it.  Thanks for the pointer(s).  Anyone have any forst hand experience on stage two triggers?  Worth the money or not?

Not worth it in a carbine.  If you had the 26in target model......

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry y'all, I'm leaving out too much extra's I've done.  Ok, so I've got a wolf clip/sling that I use, I have 8 mags, a tango down fore grip, and 2300 rnds.  I'm hesitant to buy surefire, since in "MY OPINION" they are over priced/paying for the name )(have one on my 870 though ).  I was considering streamlight.  Any comments.  Thank to everyone so far for their input, I greatly appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Is LaRue worth the money?  I've heard nothing but great stuff concerning them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I use them exclusively.  I like the LMT better than the Rock River, but many go the other way.  There are much more expensive triggers that are better,  Armalite also has a nice 2-stage.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
noted ar154all.  Thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
WCS, noted also. I've got quite the conundrum now?  May have to try out a test run at the range
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the same boat..can justify only 1 AR right now and it's the same as yours. I upgraded the trigger by just polishing up the sear surfaces. Smoothed it out just fine "for every day use". Bought a Nikon 2-7x32 scope, riser rail and a good pair of rings for the glass-$200. Add EOtech and QD rail mount for CQB along with whatever BUIS is in vogue right now and this will be a well rounded weapon. Ditch the launcher.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright, So I'm going to ditch the launcher.  Can't really justify it, other than when we get invaded....hahhahaha.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
A case of good brass,then mags,gear to carry ammo,maybe a stock upgrade to MOE,spare bolt and other parts.Get a good system in place to keep it running then worry about doo-dads later.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top