Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 11:48:27 AM EDT
I am selling a rifle on gunbroker and the buyer asked me if it was a Beryllium copper lower. I thought he was fucking with me, and then he sent me this chart from Olympic showing my serial number range as having a Beryllium copper lower. Just one year.

Is this valuable, odd? should I keep it? It also looks like it is a genuine Pre-Ban. I wonder if I am asking too little for it.
link

FYI, my lower is TB96xx.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am selling a rifle on gunbroker and the buyer asked me if it was a Beryllium copper lower. I thought he was fucking with me, and then he sent me this chart from Olympic showing my serial number range as having a copper lower. Just one year.

Is this valuable, odd? should I keep it? It also looks like it is a genuine Pre-Ban. I wonder if I am asking too little for it.
link

FYI, my lower is TB96xx.

According to your chart you have the current model. Yours being TB96xx (at the very bottom) and the Beryllium copper S/N being TBOR1791-TBOR1991.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, just noticed that. Thanks.

Does anyone now anything about the Copper lowers? It has piqued my interest
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Beryllium, in and of itself can be some nasty shit.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure I have a golf club, lob wedge, made of that. I don't know if I'd really want a lower from the same stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper

Interesting, but I don't know what advantage over a standard receiver it would give you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting, but I don't know what advantage over a standard receiver it would give you.

Marketing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Beryllium copper, depending on the exact alloy, can be very strong, but it is also very heavy.  As long as you don't grind, weld or burn it its toxicity would not be a concern.   I can't think of any good reason to use it, you might as well use high strength steel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You would KNOW it.  Heavy.  Over 22 ounces in weight.  A regular receiver is about 8 ounces, stripped bare.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
BC was also used in 60% & 80% AR15 DIY lower receivers. Some guys polished them for a copper look to them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
We use to use Tools made from it to work in side fuel cells , it was non sparking , but I dont see why it would be used for a AR15 llower
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
B.C. Is available in different grades.
I seem to remember the B.C. lowers were used to make a small number of commemorative rifles or some such.
O.P., Have you tried a google type search yet ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I seem to recall some arms maker promoting 'unbreakable' BC firing pins, but I can't see the advantage in using it for a lower.
Moon
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
J&S Gun Parts Inc. in Olympia, Wa use to have an ar on display that had a bc upper and lower with walnut furniture.  One of the owners told me he had paid an ungodly amount for it.  Was also told the maker quit making these because it was killing him.  Did look pretty gawdy and was very heavy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on the serial number you posted yours is not BC. as it is lacking the following "OR".  BC is typically used where the metal will be used in a flammable environment.  Given that the dates for these was 1991, the oil fields in the first gulf war come to mind. BC will not spark.  Do some research on flammable drum handling equipment and you'll see that it is all BC.  It is very nasty stuff to work with, I haven't machined any since high school 30+ years ago.  We didn't know how poisoness it was back then.  But we also case hardened steel using Cyanide and cleaned parts in 11 trichloroethene.  I guess if you don't know it's going to kill you -it won't.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top