Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 9:35:56 PM EDT
What do people think about Model 1 sales 20"  6.8 SPC  heavy barrel 1-9 twist, chromed lined uppers? Good, bad?
I need input?
Thanks to all who reply!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 sales, M&A parts, Olympic Arms, etc. are all on the same page as random "gun show parts." They are not quality, they may work for your intended purpose but the difference in price between manufacturers is NOT because you are paying for a name.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Model 1 sales, M&A parts, Olympic Arms, etc. are all on the same page as random "gun show parts." They are not quality, they may work for your intended purpose but the difference in price between manufacturers is NOT because you are paying for a name.

One of the uppers I bought from M&A still had the inspection tag attached from where LMT assembled and test fired it (I understand like 90%+ of there business is supplying other maufactors with components).  Of course we all know that many parts are from in some cases only handfull of actuall forgers or finished by only a handfull of machine and tooling compaines, but also there a handfull of companies that provide completely assembled uppers (for example) to compaines to these companies as well as major brands.  Our Dept buys fully automatic COLT M4s for $780 something so not sure how much more works goes into a $1200-1500 neutered semi-auto version for civilian market but I would care to guess a lot of it is BRAND NAME markup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the uppers I bought from M&A still had the inspection tag attached from where LMT assembled and test fired it (I understand like 90%+ of there business is supplying other maufactors with components).  Of course we all know that many parts are from in some cases only handfull of actuall forgers or finished by only a handfull of machine and tooling compaines, but also there a handfull of companies that provide completely assembled uppers (for example) to compaines to these companies as well as major brands.  Our Dept buys fully automatic COLT M4s for $780 something so not sure how much more works goes into a $1200-1500 neutered semi-auto version for civilian market but I would care to guess a lot of it is BRAND NAME markup.

Yeah, you are right. The distributor and retailer markups don't account for the difference.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Their barrels and upper receivers are OK. Everything else is a little suspect.

Bison Armory has great 6.8 20" barrels in stock right now, with M1S you'd have to wait a few months.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a stainless 1-8 24inch from them about a year ago. Shoots pretty good. Factory ammo and factory trigger off a bipod at 125ish yards.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, here goes, but I have a Model 1 16" carbine upper with chrome-lined barrel, and it shoots at least as good as my other two AR's (Colt and RRA) and fits my Stag lower like a tailored glove. In fact, it's one of my favorite guns.

Can't speak for longer barrels or 6.8 cal., but in my experience Model 1 uppers and barrels are excellent. YMMV, but IMO they're g2g.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My model 1 upper is just fine.  Sure it doesn't have the name value of some other guys but it works fine for me.  My only complaint on it is the front sight base is short, I had to find an extended front sight post for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top